Masters Running

Let's help Stumpy run his first marathon! (Read 54 times)

coastwalker

I'll keep an eye on Kevin in Mile 23: You're only a 5K away!

It may be tough going here, so don't think about where you've been - focus on where you're going, and how good you will feel when you cross the border bridge and then that finish line, and know that YOU ARE A MARATHONER!!!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

I'll take mile 4.  It worked once before.

lamerunner

Is this  the race which goes from Maine into Canada?  or do I have my bays confused...

I will take Mile 23 if still  available..

Good luck Stumpy! You never forget your first one.

lamerunner

OOps I guess I take Mile 25. Should have looked at page 2.

TammyinGP

Mile 20 because that's how many miles I'll be running in my relay this weekend.  Plus, a marathon is really a 10K race with a 20 mile warm-up so I'll virtually participate in the warm-up!

You'll do great Stumpy! I can't wait to hear how it went for you when I get back from my relay!

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

I had to jump in here before I missed out on running with Stumpy on his 1st marathon.  I'll take mile 17.  I would say to enjoy this marathon...race the next ones if you want...but enjoy this one.  I've always said the 1st is the most special...you'll never forget it...and to have a bunch of friends who want to come along makes it even more special...at least I think so.  Yeah...drink early and often...stay confident...but have fun.  Good luck!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Thank you all so much for the support and good wishes.  looking forward to this with a mixture of excitement and dread.  And it's all your fault for being such a bunch of over-achievers that I gave into peer pressure Joking  I do hope to make you all proud and enjoy myself along the way.

I also feel guilty that I apparently did not participate in Carolyn's first. (of a PRETTY amazing year)

We'll be staying at a couple of B&Bs and may not be able to get connected.  also in Canada, the roaming is very expensive--so I may not be able to let people know how I did until after we get home.

thanks again, guys.  I WILL be thinking of you.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Ooh, ooh, are there any miles left? I'll take mile 19, because that one is the last of the "dark miles", and you know that it's only a 10k away to the finish once you're done with that one. Go Stumpy go!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Mile 19 is always a tough mile for me, but OM has you covered there, so I will take mile 21, still a tough one.  Remember to double knot your shoes.  Also remember, Kevin, that we all care about you here.  We don't care about your finish time or placement, just want to send our love and affection and smiles out to our friend, hoping to give you some lift when the going gets tough.  Remember that we are all pulling for you, sending you our mental strength for you to draw on, if needed.  Here's a couple extra (((hugs of strength))), not that you need them, because I am confident that you will ROCK this race!  Good Luck!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Queen of 3rd Place

I'll take Mile 21, that's about where you have an idea of when you're going to finish. If you're taking your time, you might even get a little bit of a second wind here.

Ex runner

Mariposai

I wanna run with TAG, give me mile 11!

What an exciting weekend!!!

Off to start starching my mariposa cheer-leading outfit!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Walk-Jogger

I'll be happy to take mile 2 - if you go out very easy in mile one, you'll just be starting to get a bit loosened up and warmed up in mile two. It's going to be a long morning, but this is what you've trained for; you're ready for it, you can do it, and in this mile we just relax and settle in, enjoy the scenery and the company of all the other runners. The party is just getting started.

Retired &  Loving It

Dave59

I wanna run with TAG, give me mile 11!

What an exciting weekend!!!

Off to start starching my mariposa cheer-leading outfit!!!

Just be careful Tag doesn't rip off your arm if you are holding his leash and he sees a critter.

evanflein

Well, I would take mile 17 because after that one, you've got the single digits left! But, that's ok, MikeE already has that covered. I'll take mile 13. You're halfway done after that and that always gives me a little lift. At that point, I stop mentally counting the miles I've already run and start listing the miles left to go. It seems to help mood and spirit to tabulate the decreasing miles as you go. (and when you get to 25, it's great to say to yourself, "1.2 miles to go, I can do this!!")

Have fun, Kevin, as others have said, you only get one first marathon so make enjoy the hell out of it.

dg.

Kevin I wish I'd gotten in here before!    So proud of you, fellow former newbie!

well, well, I like mile 12, but I'll take mile 14 in honor of the person that told me at the half way mark  'You're half way done!  The worst part's over!'   ; - D      I'll join you to start the easy half!

otherwise... what Holly said.

really really really try to let yourself enjoy this!

the very best of luck to you, can't wait to hear how it went!