Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 05/29 (Read 579 times)

jfa

"I believe that every human being has a finite number of heartbeats, and I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises."

- Neil Armstrong

Maybe Neil is onto something. Hmmm

15er on the mill today for no other reason than to watch TV while doing it. Wish I got the NFL channel at home. Trying to front load some miles early this week. This weekend we will be heading up to NH for one nephew's HS graduation, and another nephew's wedding. Nephew one has joined the Marines, nephew 2 has finished his Army training and will likely be bound for Afghanistan shortly. Both of my older sisters are trying tp cope with the idea of their sons being in the military, but this weekend is for celebrations. The worrying will surely come later.

Good Week All!

Morning folks! 

Sorry I haven't been a very good citizen of our little community of late.  Looks like you all are all humming along well though. 

Been celebrating a lot.  Our 22 yr anniversary was Friday, and lots of graduation activities for our friend's kiddo's going on.  How exactly did we wind up being this old age?  Went to Mom's 5K on Saturday.  Another local lady moved into her age group, and beat her out of 1st place, but fortunately they were giving out AG awards 3 deep, so she still came home with a medal Smile.  It was a first time race, but they had a pretty decent turnout of about 200.  It was chip timed, and decently executed by one of the local running companies, except for one BIG thing.  The credit union sponsoring it mis measured the course by a whopping 1/2 mile (too long).  I asked how they missed it that far, and one of the organizers said they guy measuring it took a detour to show something to someone, and just kept the GPS running the whole time. 

Joe, 15 on the treadmill with the NFL channel would be enough to make me embrace that Neil Armstrong quote, but to each his own.  I hear you on the kiddos enlisting in the military.  My friend's son just enlisted in the Marines...the day he turned 18.

Still doing the Katy runs most days.  We're heading out on vacation on Friday, so maybe I'll get some "just me" runs in while we're away.  Anyone have tips on what to do/see in and around Asheville, NC?

Progress Trumps Pefection

flatland mountaineer

Thanks for the start off Joe.  Sounds like you have a very tight family, very cool. Good Luck to your nephews. One of mine did a hitch in the Marines. It was peacetime but Grandma still worried, mom too.

We got up early to spray and beat the wind.  By noon the winds forced us to quit so took dad to brunch and after a nap got an 8 miler in. Lynda got 6 in. She has been battling a sore foot since Vegas. Kind of on the outside near the ball of the foot. An X-ray showed the bone that goes to the little toe was attempting to spread out and separate. We don't really have an answer for this one but the doc cleared her to run BB.  Anyway just short runs from here to race day.

Ev pay me no never mind. I was just trying to get you and others of the 40's+ on the run to show up @BB by teasing abit. Of course you deserve some r&R time as you just did a full not long ago. Stoopid me, sorry 'bout that.

Have fun @ your half. BB is Memorial Day.

Cindy 'spose u are getting this awful wind too......

Hope Les got some fun time in too re shopping! and not spending all day in some stuffy conf room.

Winds to gust to 55 here today. I need a basement den to hide out in. It really messes with my pyche. Got lots of stuff to fix in the shop but can't do what I need to do outside and some of my fields are getting a little weedy. My lawn can be a jungle but not having my fields perfect well I don't deal with that very well. At least with modern faming methods we can have huge winds and our topsoil stays put due to no-til and strip-til farming methods.

Hi to the rest of yall.

Jim 

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Yup, Jim, having those danged winds here too.....was only slightly breezy when Mairead & I went out for a short 3 this am.....53+ mph gusts going on just now...I suspect some that I'm feeling are exceeding that! It's LOUD in here!!!!

Hmmmm, finite number of heartbeats....doesn't your heartbeat slow when resting? & don't fit people have a lower resting heart rate? & don't you have to excercise regularly to BE fit? & if runners have some of the lowest RHR & may have lengthened healthy lifespan.... hmmmm

Wow, Carol ~ half a mile on a 5K is a huge!! Congrats to Mom on her hardware! & Congrats to you & DH on your Anniversary!!   I did forget that you guys were so close to us...ours is this coming Friday....I see Asheville all the time on HGTV - house hunters? sooo, thinking some grand old mansions (some haunted) could be fun to check out..

Another 58 min core synergistic p90x w/o again today...got through it a bit better this time

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

I'm BAAACK!  Do ya'll miss me??  Aw shucks . . .

Anyhoo - I tried to speed read through the posts I missed last week.  If I miss someone and you get offended - - well, come to Humboldt County and we'll have a showdown!

I called Joe Jim or Jim Joe?  Or Arla Carol or Carol Cindy?  I give up.  I must've been in a hurry . . .

Jim - Very cool story about your dad and his friends.  I love Leaning Tree cards.  How nice to know the background.

Joe - Eureka has one mall.  Most of the stores cater to teens and 20-somethings.  The only stores that even come close to providing clothing for adult, especially working, women is Sears and Kohls.  Both rarely have pants long enough for me.  I need an inseam of at least 31", but would prefer 32".  Mostly what I can find here is casual clothing.  It sucks.

The ticks - yes, they give me the ultra, ultra creeps.  Every time I had an itch the rest of the weekend, I was thinking "TICK???"

Conference was a lot of fun, the seminar I set up - Trust and Will Litigation - went very well with over 70 people in attendance, and I came back with a load of questions for new boss.  The incoming president at the state level asked me to be the coordinator of the Legal Specialization Sections, so I will be doing that for the next two years, which means I get to keep going to conference on somebody else's dime! Next up - Modesto in August.  Shouldn't be too hot there, huh, Arla? 

I just got the green light to sign up for the Mt. Diablo 50k Trail Run.  It has about 8900 cumulative feet of climbing.  The other one I'm looking at for October is the Boggs Mt. 50k in Cobb, CA.  (only 4000 feet of climbing)

Well, it's time to get back to work.  Later ~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I agree--.5 miles is a lot (16%).  Granted I've run a couple that felt like they were that much long......

I'll actually be just north of Charlotte this week, but I know little of the area.  Other than they have 5 Guys all over the place and that can be a bad thing in large doses.  

Joe--your TM training continues to amaze.  Now that I do it a little more, it's not quite as traumatic, but 15 is still beyond me.  (well, it is on the road, too, but that's adifferent story......)

Also very fine logic applied the the HR conundrum.

7.84 miles yesterday at a 10:19 pace.  officially my longest run ever.  It felt good while doing it, but late in the afternoon, I realized that it felt like I had sprained my right index toe and it hurt like hell.   I'm guessing tha it might be the metatarsalgia that i had in my left foot a couple of months ago.  Have to refresh my memory on what to do.  I see eliptical and biking in my immediate future, though.  it is feeling a little better today.

Jim--if it's traumatic now to listen to the wind, I can't imagine what it must have felt like in the 30's when it WAS taking all the topsoil away.  You sure get a lot of different things to worry about.  I'm amazed that you can come out of the cellar at all. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - thanks for starting us out. 15 on the TM is awful, but you can always tell yourself it's child's play compared to what Dopplebock was doing.

Carol - busy, busy! Can't believe that story about the 5K! I wonder how many people blew up because of it?

Jim - wonder if Lynda could wrap her foot? What you're describing certainly does sound painful.

Joe & Jim - sorry if I typed wrong! Must the the "J" thing that got my fingers confused.

Cindy - you're starting to sound like Leslie with all that hard core cross-training! Honestly my goal this summer is to do some myself.

Leslie - Modesto in August - yeah, you might want to stick with the TM. If you're not acclimated - wow. Took me 3 years living around here to run well and regularly in the summer.

Some nice hill repeats + a slow run with friends + gardening (x-training?) yesterday, and a sproinky 9.5 or so today in IRC. I was thinking that the 50+ mpw is feeling fine right now, and maybe I'll ramp it up some more over the summer while I have the time....we'll see how it goes when the summer heat comes!

Arla

Ex runner

Ev pay me no never mind. I was just trying to get you and others of the 40's+ on the run to show up @BB by teasing abit. Of course you deserve some r&R time as you just did a full not long ago. Stoopid me, sorry 'bout that.

Have fun @ your half. BB is Memorial Day.

I enjoyed the teasing, Jim.  I was just throwing a bit of fun back atcha and at myself.  I've officially pulled out of the Andy Payne Half and may substitute a 10K in its place the following weekend.....we'll see.  Good luck at BB!

LMD and I have been feverishly working in the yard the past several days.  Trying to get it back in shape now that the season is upon us.  Redoing the front landscaping and just trying to get grass to grow in the back.

Stormed all night last nite.  Big thunderboomers and rain 'o plenty.  Still raining.

Carol, tell your Mom I said "Congrats!"

Leslie, congrats on the coordinator gig!  No doubt you've impressed them.

Stump....WTG on the long run!

Arla you're running strong, as always.

Mtn....I'm intrigued by the P90X.  I definately need a xtrainer....I'll have to check further into it.

Joe.....Congrats to the graduate and the prospective groom.  And give my thanks to them for their service to our country.

Good running and xtraining to all!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Hey Peeps -

Arla - You and Joe always amaze me with your consistent 50-mile weeks.  That's a lot of frigging running!

Stumpy - Congrats on LR!  You'll be doing that half in no time.

I probably should've run this a.m. since it's suppose to rain the rest of the week, but I those to "ride" instead (30 min), and followed it up with 1.25 hrs of core/strength training.

My co-worker/conference buddy and I have decided to keep one another accountable for what we're shoving in our pie holes each day.  So I weighed this a.m. and officially am going to work toward losing 8 lbs by SOB on July 10.  It's doable . . . if I can just stay away from the Jr. Mints.

Have a good one ~

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Good afternoon people!

Well, we survived the wind, sans a few shingles...don't know what the gusts got up to precisely but, heard we were at least exceeding 60mph....got some news from W Nebr that they had tornadoes & huge hail! shaping up to be "one of those Springs!"   hopefully, it'll just be now & not when the crops are up - however, busted siding & smashed up cars are no fun at all!  the wind is back here today, albeit a much gentler 30mph

Congrats on your LR Kevin!  coming right along, you are!   I'm trying to follow you guys w/the xt-ing

50 mpw + gardening!?! and you think I sound like Leslie??

Was Dead calm @ 8pm last night, so 'Raid & I took a 2nd spin around the neighborhood - brisk walk this time as I'd indulged in Champps burgers & beers just prior... didn't seem to have any lingering ill effects, so out we went again around 6:30am for a couple more running type miles & then some more P90X torture after lunch...actually, I'm liking it pretty well! don't need alot of equipment; mostly around an hour per w/o; steady paced; just hard enough to make me work for it; recovery is good - as long as I am!   haven't dialed in their nutrition plan as yet...I think mine's not too bad ..just the workouts.  

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Top 'O the World!

Shhhhh, quiet in here!

Where'd everybody go?

Weather ppl are predicting completely different weather from the BB of last year...45*/80* w/wind!!!   at least it's starting off cool...& lets hope the wind holds off till pm

flatland mountaineer

Weather ppl are predicting completely different weather from the BB of last year...45*/80* w/wind!!!   at least it's starting off cool...& lets hope the wind holds off till pm

hmm hoping for the best/ no wind!.

Wind let us work yesterday, we were up early today to load herbicides and get spraying but thunder and showers to the west on the radar. Sooo on hold for a bit, hopefully get something done fore the wind comes up again , predicted this afternoon.

Straight line winds in Alliance NE of over 100 monday. spose we were bout the same as Denver monday in the 55-65 range. Folded our old rooftop tv antennae in two and pulled the guy wires off the roof and some 6in diameter limbs around, but nothing major. Some blowing in the traffic areas at the edge of the fields but can't imagine the dirt blizzard with conventional tillage.

Hopefully get a minor run in today, I been pretty sore this week from runs and handling chemicals and trips up and down the sprayer ladder or else just getting old.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Hey folks, 10 spot on the boards last night,with 200 pushups thrown in. Going to get up to 90* today but it's a lot cooler by the beach and the showers are now working again, weeha!

I see them doing that P90X stuff at the gym, will have to investigate further.

No problem calling me Jim , or anything else for that matter. Just don't call me late for dinner!

Just looked up my 5k results. 99 of 650 OA, 9 of 37 AG.

Top 'O the World!

Lookin good there Joe - decent placement on your 5K , real decent!    - 200 pushups!? dang dude! you could probably start the P90X in the advanced mode... variations on the pushups alt w/pullups & other "easy" stuff  you'd love!

Jim - better rest up just a bit before Monday...

3 moderate miles w/Mairead this morning followed immediately by 75 mins P90X shoulders & arms + ab ripper...getting through it a bit better now...still struggling w/some of those ab thingys!!

Cripes, Jim.  Your description of the wind damage . . .  And you're not getting old.  Great xt with the ladder climbing.

Joe - Very nice with the 5k there!

Cindy - I'd love to get the P90X, but I don't have any place to put a chin up bar.  I think at this point with all the stuff I have in my workout room, if I add anymore, The Hub will probably disown me.

8.25 miles this a.m. in approx 1:22.  The legs ran out of climbing sproink around Mile 4, so I said "screw it" and walked a couple after that.  Was suppose to do 10 miles, but I knew I was going to be slower than normal and I didn't want to be late for work.

I have no energy today.  I'm thinking that with my attempts to lose weight, I may not be fueling correctly.  Or it could be the 3 hours I put in working after work last night.   I sure would like to have a few sessions with a sports nutritionist, but I don't know if any in our area.  Oh, I don't know.  I'd take iron, but I hate burping that stuff back up.  Have an annual in a couple of weeks, so will talk to the doc then.

Later ~

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance