Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 11.8.17 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Tuesday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (4 morning TM miles + 1.6 post-work, pre-packing TM miles for 5.6 total)
    Tramps (25 morning bike miles with foliage)
    Jlynne (5 morning miles in 28° temps + 20 min weights + 45 min spin class)
    Quickadder (7.5 early AM miles, including 10K with DD)
    Stumpy (early morning mileage in 40° temps with a breeze, and still in shorts)
    Henrun (5 miles in mid-40s temps - IRC)
    Holly (6 morning TM miles, watching DWTS)
    Deeze (5.2 morning miles with two Sole Sisters + cardio/strength class + core/strength class)
    Metalmancpa (6.4 miles at 8:33 pace, feeling good)
    Surly Bill (4.5 pre-sunset miles, with 800/600/400 reps)

Falconfixer (8.4 late afternoon miles, including 6 X 88m intervals - 7:50 avg pace)

Evanflein (5.3 post-work TM miles while still not feeling 100%)

Jlynne, Our beneficiaries for the Seacoast Half are mostly social-services non-profits at the Seacoast Half. Last year was a food bank, and this year is a transitional homeless shelter.

Quickadder, the beneficiary serves as our 'banker' for the year, so all of the entry fees go directly to them. We ask them to use the race to raise $20K in sponsorships which is about the total of race expenses not otherwise covered. Some of our ongoing sponsors cover expenses such as race timing and all water stop supplies, and get us great deals on our race shirts. The beneficiary pays the race expenses, and any entry fees/sponsorship dollars/donations over that is theirs to keep and to use for the project they identified when they applied to be the beneficiary. Our group doesn’t keep a penny of the race revenue (clearly different from the 'for profit' races), and we like it that way. Runners can claim a tax deduction only if they don’t show on race day - otherwise they are getting something in return for their entry fee (shirt, medal, course support, etc.) that prevents it from being a tax deductible donation. Technically, we could approximate the cost of all the goods and services they get on a per-racer basis so they could deduct the balance of the entry fee, but we've never been asked to do that, and so don't. Some people donate above and beyond their entry fee (over $2K in donations with registrations this year), and those donations are tax deductible.

So, changing the clocks/time and adjusting to the change is still a PIA, eh? Just like last time. Just like the next time.

My ideal racing weather is temps in the mid-40s without too much wind or sun.

I got up at 4:01 this morning, and was out the door at 4:17. I was channeling Eric Clapton ("Got up this mornin', looked around for my shoes.."). My shoes (another new pair of Topo ST2s) must have been pretty good this mornin' because I had decent speed over my 6.27 miles without much perceived effort. I felt fluid, and it was a good feeling. It was 36° and breezy, so I was glad to have some lightweight tights and a light windbreaker, along with my gloves and cap.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay and all to follow. Your Seacoast half team sounds like all parts work together to make it very successful every year. That's great. Great workout for you this morning! Don't you wish you could just can those and pull them out on demand? 

Seems like everyone's ideal running temps depends a lot on where you live. I know that living in a colder climate, anything above 60 - especially with humidity  - will just about kill me. I do prefer it cooler. That being said, the thermometer is heading in the wrong direction!! It was 26° with a "slight" breeze at 5:00 AM this morning. Time to break out extra layers! 5.28 miles followed with 15 minutes of weights and core. If I don't get called in to sub, I'll take the strength and balance class later this morning.

Hope all of you on the sick list start feeling better.

Have a safe and fun trip Erika!

So nice to see Henry running strong again.

Tramps - your bike ride yesterday sounded pretty. Next time take your phone and post some pictures, ok?

Have a great Wednesday everyone!

Tramps

Jay--interesting way to set things up.  (And, BTW, it's really Robert Johnson.)

Leslie--we used to have a cheap little alarm clock that changed to/from DST automatically.  It was great until about 10 years ago when they changed the week that DST went into effect but, no matter what we did, our clock kept to the old schedule.  Now that was a PITA. Thankfully, it died.

Dave--adding some core work really helps, especially in maintaining form when you're tired.  Good luck.

Jlynne--I'm really not a cell phone guy, so rarely carry it. Rained all day yesterday, too, so that took down a ton of leaves.

Exercises + 3-mile run this morning.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Now that was a PITA. Thankfully, it died.

Assisted suicide?

Great start to the morning for me--a gravel truck wiped out on my route to work, so that added a 1/2 hour to the regualr hour, one of my contacts decided to disappear somewhere (could still be in my eye, but who knows), and the meds that i have just started taking for gout that i was told might have some "intenstinal effects", do.    Thinking TC's 45 minute nap sounds good, on repeat.

Hope everyone else's day goes smoother.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Singer who runs a smidge

The Run Experience has a lot of videos regarding ST.  I looked at this one recently for knee strengthening.

Thanks for posting this, fatozzig.  My knees often give me grief, so I'm going to give this a whirl too!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

mrrun

Being retired, the alarm is used only for early morning flights.  time change is definitely pita - slept for the first time until 5:15.  Just over 6 miles in low 40's with light wind.  had to dig out the long pants for the first time. i know in a few months this will feel warm, but i'm not ready for it.  i prefer 50-60's for running and racing.

stumpy - hope your day improves and healing vibes to those with hurts,

marj

Dave59

I came into the office this morning. May as well take a third rest day. Had my second night in a row with decent sleep so I'm feeling close to normal today.

Thanks for the strength tips.

TammyinGP

got out for 4.2 miles last night. Headed up to the HS track since that is where I tend to do most of my weekday running - stay off the roads when it gets dark and I don't really get lost on a track.  But then I heard through my doggy rescue/advocates partners that there was a stray dog spotted just a few blocks from where I was, dodging traffic, almost getting hit, etc. No one can capture this dog and it's been on the loose for over a week now - getting more and more fearful and unapproachable. So, I grabbed a slip lead and headed up the main road where it had been spotted and almost hit just 20 minutes prior. I thought if I spotted it, I might have a better chance at luring it then one of my two rescue partners who were in their vehicles combing the area.

but no such luck and now it was really getting dark, I had no headlamp and was wearing dark grey running clothes, so ran back to the HS. 
                  I should go looking for stray dogs more often on my runs because it hardly seemed like much time had passed and I got in over 4 miles.

Tammy

Quick check in for now.  Busy loading the camper for the 3 week odyssey.  Looking forward to lots of campfires and some good runs in new places.  Signed up for a 5K at the park we'll be at first.  DW and I are going to walk it though, as it goes through a "festival of Christmas lights" set up in the park.  It's also a fundraiser for a soup kitchen. If I'm running in the dark, I won't enjoy the lights.  So I will log a PW instead of a PR, but that's OK!

4 chilly miles in 39 degree wind chills and mist.  Wore shorts, but was afraid my thin Southern blood would leave me chilly.  Felt good though.

Coastwalker - good explanation of the tax implications. Thanks.   DW had just asked if our Saturday entry fee was deductible and I told her that I doubt it since we get a shirt and the exclusive use of the park's light display (no vehicles allowed on this night) which normally has an admission.

Tammy - thanks for attempting to help with the dog.  I came home from one of my runs years back with a beagle...which became dog #4.  She was a great little dog.  Stray dogs are the NC State Animal, I think.  Kind of sad.

Need to get going.  I'm hoping to have decent connectivity on the road the rest of the month.  If I drop off the face of the earth, than it's due to poor connections in the mountains.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I should go looking for stray dogs more often on my runs because it hardly seemed like much time had passed and I got in over 4 miles.

I have such a hard time running around-and-around or here-and-there for the sake of running without any other purpose, e.g. morning commute, library, minor shopping, etc.  Never thought of the stray dog ruse though.  Good luck.

erika - good news:  still sunshining through thin clouds this morning and any rain that makes it through by tonight or tomorrow is supposed to abate on Saturday and be minimal on Sunday.  If you're commuting to downtown, maybe try out some of the more scenic sections of the Burke-Gilman trail on the way (if DH can drop-you-off/pick-you-up).  Lots of daylight from around 7am - 5pm or so now. However, with so many cyclists thinking they have priority on a "bike-path," Burke-Gilman is very dangerous in the darkness, and even in the daytime so stay on the straight-and-narrow with no sudden diversions.  good luck.

However, as for shopping, with Amazon and other IT's attracting a thousand or so new residents every week, very few downtown shoppers anymore.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 and change at lunch.

Usual tapering aches and pains have popped up before a race. Nothing serious and I am sure 95% is in my head.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Tammy - I hope you or your fellow rescuers are able to find the dog. Poor thing - 

Tramps - I fixed our clock yesterday morning, but then when I went in the bedroom around 6:00 p.m. after I got home, it read 10:20 p.m. I fixed it again and this morning it was the right time. So either The Hub is messing with me and doing a really good job of keeping a straight face, or the clock is on its last leg.

Speaking of clocks - I've been awake since about 1:30 worrying about an issue I screwed up at work.  I'm looking into how best to fix it prior to talking to my boss as it's one of those things where I (we) thought all the steps were taken and now I find out no.  AND it's definitely my fault and I will take full ownership, but still . . . my boss is such a great guy, when you do something wrong, it's like disappointing your dad.  It's not like it's going to make use a lose a case, but it makes him look bad and it will cost us money in that we can't bill the client (and haven't been since initially realizing the error) and can't get our out of pocket costs back.  *Sigh*

Needless to say, I didn't get in my little 30 min run this morning and I'm definitely feeling the lack of sleep.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Tammy - I hope you or your fellow rescuers are able to find the dog. Poor thing - 

Maybe try carrying a bag of Doritos with you and crinkling the bag?  Works for my dogs when they won't come out from under the shed....

Leslie - It happens, especially when we have to work the pace we do, with so many plates in the air.  Every once in a long while, one drops.

Opus - have fun!

6.1 miles for me today on the TM watching Bull.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

metalmancpa

Hi All. Sorry for the hit & run, but need to go see my Dad. 6.2 miles, 8:59/mile pace. Getting a little chillier, 46 degrees and breezy here in Falmouth. Still getting used to the Garmin 935, but I really like it's attention to detail. Also, I like running without any goals/races. Not that I didn't enjoy all the running I did this year, but something about "whatever runs" without purpose are great, even though I run/train as if I was training. I keep the same paces, with get in fartleks/speed and long runs, and let it flow.

I hope the doggie is OK!

Got up at 3:30 this morning for an early flight and to get in my streak mile (1.1 actually).  Just did 3.2 more here in Boca Raton.  It is 83 degrees and gorgeous, but warm and humid.  I left home in a puffy jacket this morning.  This hotel is nice, but my room has NO view at all.  In fact, this walkway sort of looks into my room so I can barely have the curtains open.  I don’t care that much-  I won’t be in the room that much and the grounds are gorgeous.  Ran along A1A.  

4.3 miles for the day.  I’m pretty tired.  Have an evening function to start this lawyer conference.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth