Masters Running

Sunday, 10.9.16 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Good move to get out of the rain yesterday, Dave. Twocat would be proud.

Sorry about the storm in your neck of the woods, RCG. I hope it wasn't too bad.

Good job on the last workout for the old knee, Henrun! I'm looking forward to seeing you (and Marj) at Great Island and/or LaT's.

Nice 'just' 8, Aamos. Plum claflouti sounds mighty interesting. Rachel Lee is amazing! I'm glad to know DH's cycle buddy is going to be OK, and that he gets a 3-day vaca.

Excellent run at Hartford, Erika!

Good 20-miler, with 7 at MP and no dying on the road, Twocat. BTW, there were about 1,210 finishers at Hartford, to be exact.

Great job in the chilly, windy marathon relay, Jlynne! I would'a skipped the outdoor post-race party too.

Nice racing for you too, WC - congrats on beating the 75 year-old! I guess he knew what he was doing when he ran through the water crossings.

Holly, it has been raining here most of the night, and promises to continue most of the day, with temps in the upper 50s - not too different from what you've got. The big difference, though, is that I'm just doing a 5K. Both of us will just have to focus on the race and forget about the weather as best we can. It's very unusual for a race to make you earn your race shirt by finishing. However there is a 10K nearby at which you have to finish in the top X% of your age group to earn a race shirt. And they've been doing that for over 35 years...

TTTATR  (Ta-ta till after the race)

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Jay - I'm bagging the race - not worth the drive (1+ hour) even to run with grandkids!  See you later,

Congrats to all racers yesterday and today!

Sayhey! MM#130

Good morning!

Have fun Jay, and don't catch a cold running in the rain.  And that goes for all you Oregonians as well 🌧.

We have a little army of Speedsters at Chicago so I'll be following them today.

14 this morning; a little creaky after the 5K last night but warmed up after a bit so the last 5 miles were fastest.

Good Sunday🌞

grins.

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

wildchild

Carolyn

Go Portland racers!  You'll all have to ignore Twocat's rule today - hope it's not too chilly!

The results from my race were posted today, and I was beaten by a 12 year old and a 70 year old.  Good times!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

spinach

I ran 4.3 miles this morning. My longest run since the surgery but I was registered for the Twin Cities Marathon today. I almost got in one sixth of that distance. Next year I will be sixty and in a new age group for it. I am looking forward to that.

evanflein

So Erika's running Hartford tomorrow, and I'm gonna be in Chicago for a Sunday run.  Damn.  That's bad timing.

Well rats! We were just talking about you last night, too! Hope you do well today in Chicago!

My final time was 3:47:21 and 2nd in my age group. Funny, that's the fourth 2nd AG placing this year out of four marathons. I'm in a rut. It was a good race, lots of volunteers (2,500 they said at the start), and according to my placing, there were 1,809 finishers in the full marathon, and I was 499th. There were a lot of relay runners, and a hugh number of half-marathoners who all started together. The HM runners split off to their own course after about 1.5 miles so it thinned out a bit after that but what a congested start! LaTortuga and I got to the start a little later than we wanted to (too much time in the porta potty line, left without even getting thru), so I was way back in the 4:30 marathon area when we started. What a clogged up start! But, it goes through some beautiful country after the first 7 miles or so, and the weather was really pretty good until it started warming up when the sun came out at about 10:30.

Highlight of the day was the finish, where CNYrunner and her DH, Pro from Dover, LaTortuga and Hally were there with my DH, cheering me on to the finish! Seeing them made the cramps in my calves (yes, again) not seem so bad and I really tried to pick it up at the end. Two women tried to overtake me right before the finish, and I was having none of that. Mustered a last sprint to finish in front of them and stopped as my calves both seized up. Walked it off, and was fine later in the evening. Gotta figure out what's causing these calf cramps because they're really killing the last half or third of my races. I figure it's a conditioning thing, because I know I'm not in the shape I want to be in for marathons (given all the time off for injuries this summer), but it's very annoying! Anyway, that's done, marathon #42, state #17. Nice to have gotten 3 states this year.

Raining today but looking forward to seeing a lot of folks this evening here at LaT's. Should be fun!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Seems like a pretty decent rut to be in  Excellent finish.  Sorry I'll miss the get-together tonight, but camp closing will occupy us into the evening.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

coastwalker

Good job of getting in 'nother 14 after your 5K last night, Aamos - amazing!

WC, you should focus on all the folks you beat, rather than those few who finished ahead of you.

Good run Spinach! I'm glad you've got a new AG coming up, but don't think that it will be any less competitive!

Great job in Hartford, Evanflein, and congrats on the AG hardware. As Stumpy said - that's not such a bad rut to be in. Nice to have your own cheering section as you pulled out all the stops to hold off 2 last-minute challenges. Sorry about the calves, though.

There was wall-to-wall rain at the Great Island 5K in New Castle, NH this morning (and it's still raining). Temps were in the low-mid 50s, with a breeze from the north. So I waited as long as I could to strip down to my shorts and s/s shirt and cap. I got off to a decent start, but the course was clogged with some slower folks for the first few 10ths, and that was a bit frustrating. I felt a lot better as the crowd began to stretch out and open up. I decided again to go semi-nekkid, and not check my Garmin for my mile splits, going on 'feel' instead. I had some people who were doing good job of (unintentionally) pacing me along the way, and some of them were kind enough to let me pick them off. One part of the course is on a dirt road, which was wet, but not muddy, but I still didn't like it and had a harder time getting decent push-offs till we got back onto pavement. With about 3/10 to go, I came up on some guy and told him not to let himself get beat by a walker. He picked up his pace a little bit, and we both worked hard from there to the finish, with him following my order and finishing a few yards in front of me. Official results haven't been posted yet, but according to my Garmin I finished in about 31:37 for an average 10:10 pace - my best here in a couple of years. I took 2nd in the racewalking div, beat by my friend the Frenchman, who was over a minute ahead of me. I was glad to finally get back home for a long, hot shower, and am now looking forward to the meet-up at LaT's later this afternoon.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Carolyn -

Erika - Great racing and meet-up!

Jay - great racing for you too!

Posting fro my laptop, which I am not good at, so I will keep it short.  I finished!  5:37 on my Garmin, which isn't even my worst marathon, but it was definitely my most undertrained.  Mid to upper 50's and steady rain for almost the whole race, so I kept my Walmart rain poncho on the whole race.  Best $.99 I ever spent.  I saw a lot of shivering people.

Mostly I am really enjoying spending the weekend hanging out with some awesome folks, MikeE, Leslie and Shorty, Starr, Mariposai and EP, Tet and his lovely bride, Enke and MBE, Econo and Woodslady...have I missed anyone?  Anyway, I'm having a blast!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

It was soooo good to see the merry band of Portland half/marathon runners last night.  I should have been running with you all this morning.  I look forward to hearing reports from you and also PBJ in Chicago!

I hadn't seen Starr since Omaha '04!  Soooo... Does anyone want to do the Twin Cities marathon next year?

It was fun seeing some new and old RA friends last night!  Thanks for Leslie for doing all that cooking!  Yes, the race, it was soggy.  When I finished and was back at MBE's sister's condo (which was right on the course route at mile 5.8 and mile 11.5 of an out and back for the half-mary), I wrung a bunch of water out of my socks!!  Squishy!

My goal was under an 11 pace, which I did not quite manage.  I took it very easy, just enjoyed the rain and humongous puddles, and got stopped by a train.  Me and another woman wanted to bolt across the tracks when we heard the whistle blow, because the car barrier had not even started flashing or coming down, but the policeman there strongly encouraged us not to, so we behaved.  He probably did have a gun and all.

At the 2 mile mark, my Garmin said 2.47 miles!!!  As did everyone else's I think.  I'd like to hear feedback from the others about this - that is a crazy extra amount of distance, for free.  At that point I pretty much did not look at my watch anymore.  Final distance per my Garmin was 13.65!!  A new record for sure for course length mismatch.  I was NOT weaving!  And, I always cut the tangents if there is room to do so.

Taking it easy paid off, as I felt good the whole time.  Usually around mile 11 I am fading, but not today, I picked it up.

I am mostly happy my left knee and foot behaved, although a few times they had me worried with a couple twinges.

It was heavy rain when I finished and I was feeling sorry for the full marathon runners in that...

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

My Portland Marathons
                          1990 - 4:03:04 (9:17)n- sun
                          1992 - 4:10;10 (9:33) - sun
                          2006 - 4:30:05 (10:10) - sun
                          2015 - 6:21:45 (14:34) - sun 
                          2016 - 6:07:35 (14:02) - rain yippee!
                          Felecidades mariposai 40th marathon in ten years from 2006 Portland.
                          It took me 22 years to get that far so have fun in the next twenty years too.

just enjoyed the rain and humongous puddles, . . . 

Connecting for the first time in eight years with barefoot todd for the rest of the way today, we had so much fun spashing straight through those humungies. Maybe bigger than erika’s hartfords though, as, as a certified BQ course measurer, he said dodging lots of puddles can make a big difference. I’ll check on how big.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Glad to hear about your 4 miler, Ribs.

A PBJ, sighting is welcomed!

Twocat, I'll describe Tag as a pedigree Boxer/Lab mix and use phrases like "4 nonconsecutive years in a row".

Yay spinach!!!!!

Erika, is there a ladylike term for "Athletic Beast"? 'cause you are one. Love your cheering section.

Holly and the crew she hung out with is equally impressive.

Suffering from "meet up envy".

However, I've got my own story:

I took Friday off. . DW and I were headed to a campground for an annual Halloween Party 3 day weekend.

Friday evening we took dogs out for a work out.

Saturday AM, I drove an hour to Evart for an event put on by Run Michigan Cheap.

It's a back to basics series of event. No goody bag. Bottles of water at aid stations. The hardware for the 5K is exactly the same for the 10K and half.

The place was packed with about 20 runners and myself for the three events. It's a simple out and back along a paved rails to trails course.

Straight and flat. All the thrills of trails with out roots.

My goal was to make the 3 1/2 hour cut off and if I didn't that was fine too.

The starting temps were in to mid 40's and the wind was strong and steady from the West. We started heading East. After warming up, the long sleeved Batman shirt was carried until the turn around and was appreciated as I ran back into the wind.

I loved the scenery.

The plus side of being behind everyone else was fact that I'm male and can improvise a porta john just about anywhere in the world. At one spot, there were ripe raspberries in October! They tasted like urine (I think).   I finished DFL in 3:15 ish. Was given a finisher's medal and a couple of granola bars.

It was an extremely enjoyable experience.

I'd do it again in a heart beat.

SteveP

wildchild

Carolyn

Suffering from "meet up envy".

Me too!  Looks like the east and west coast meet ups were amazing!  When's the next one?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Congratulations to all the Portland Marathon racers. Sorry about the rain!    It was very fun to meet with you and yours at the great pre run dinner!    Yum!  I loved your garbage bag ponchos.   I am very impressed with all of you.

Steve, that looks like such a great little run- lots of fun, and good running. Nice pictures!   Did Avenger Doggie get  run too?

Nancy, Fatozig.  Thanks for putting on a nice event in Portland!