Masters Running

Thurs 3/12 Daily...Weekend Almost Here! (Read 459 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good Morning Everyone, I am taking a few days off running, as I "tweaked" my right knee doing a set of lunges. I have this Gal running friend (named Janice) that is helping me with strengthening my legs with some exercises I am not used too. I have tried lunges before in the past, but found them to be painful, and didn't feel natural to me (so I should have known better) Last Tues night after my run, I felt something "give way" on the inside of my right knee during my last few lunges. Limped around yesterday, but my knee feels almost fine this morning. I am NOT FREAKING out about this what so ever, but rather know a few days off running will make everything ok.....I will be just fine, I figure by my run this Sat. Just FYI, so you know why I am taking a few days off running. nonoruns, hope you feel better Fren! Bruce, sooo nice to have you back....you were missed Buddie Denise, so cool you are training for a Triathlon...is it your first. BTW, your lap swimming times you mentioned are about as fast as I swim them....no matter how much I tried, I just couldn't get any faster. But being behind after the swim, makes it cool blowing by them on the bike portion Cool Hope all my Dear Friends here at RA have great runs, and a Wonderful Day....good day to be alive, huh Smile TimBo - Not TimbO

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Good morning "Not Freaking Out Tim". Smart to take a few days break. Today is tempo day. I got to sleep a little late last night due to choir practice and as a result woke up late this morning, so I had to really bust my tempo miles to get the workout done. 7 miles altogether at 8:13 min/mile pace, with the 5 continuous tempo miles in the middle. The target tempo pace was 7:59 per (approx. HM pace), but I ran them pretty hard (more like 10K pace) and they came in at 8:15, 7:55, 7:50, 7:45, and 7:43. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning ..... I've been fighting the "crud" but think I am finally on the upward swing. I did a stability ball ab workout last night and then I turned on Wii Fit and did a boxing workout that my DD told me about. She was SO sore the next day from doing it .... so I did it twice and beat her score both times. Of course I had to call and tell her .... but then she told me she continued to do the advanced portion 2 times too! So, now I have to do that tonight. Big grin Competitive you think?? After that I ran 4 miles on the treadmill. This morning I ran 2 miles on the treadmill which was all I had time for and I'll do 3 miles tonight. I'm starting to feel a bit better but I'm not going to test fate by going out running in this 13 degree weather we have again. ARGH! Tim - those lunges can be tricky. I have troubles doing them too. I hope your knee is fine by Saturday! NoNo - I hope you are feeling better today! Your daughter is adorable!!!! Happy Thoisday!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Hill Runner

Good morning Tim, Bill et all, I got to bed very late last night and was in a zombie state when the alarm chimed. I remembered that Boston is in about 5 weeks so I decided to HTFU and get out there for a short run when normally I would have just stayed in bed. 5 miles of hills @ 9:30 pace

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
          Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
          Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Marathon Maniac #957

Mariposai wrote:
            12 most energizing miles in recent history for my butterfly wings this afternoon. The 2 hours I was out there went by so fast. I included 4 30 sec. strides to spice up. I may feel it tomorrow, but today it sure feels good. Once again this run was effort base, not pace based.
            Nice run, Butterfly Lady! Dg wrote:
            ... she says I can run. I'm quite pleased about that. Smile Yes
            YAY!!! Kameele – I hope your procedure goes smoothly today. Busiman – I think the same thing when I watch dust swirling in sunbeams. Nono – I hope you’re feeling better today. {{{Timbo’s knee}}} 10.45 miles for me today in 23 degrees, including miles 3-6 at BQMP (8:39, 8:40, 8:42, 8:44). I intended more MP miles, but at mile 5, when I turned around to come back and hit the wind, I lost my resolve before long. (wimpy me) Still, very pleasant overall, ave pace 9:34. Why is it you never feel the wind when it's at your back, but when you turn into it suddenly it seems such a battle? A few more days of the cold, then highs in the 50's are forecast for next week - yippee!!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning, all! Tim - sorry to hear about the knee - hope it recovers quickly. I stopped doing lunges and squats altogether about a year ago. I've had intermittent runner's knee problems with my right knee, and was supposed to be "strengthening" the knee-supporting musculature with these exercises. I finally concluded that the lunges were doing more harm than good in my case and stopped cold turkey. No more knee twinges since I stopped. dg - so glad to hear you have the OK to run - yippeeee! ((((Mary and nono)))) - feel better!! I didn't get to the weight room until 3:30 yesterday - very late lunch ;-). MLR thismorning - 9 miles on the TM - 157 AHR. I felt very tired this morning - think I'm still feeling the effects of the time change. I want that extra hour of sleep back - NOW! I'm going to be running Boston this year and dedicating the race to my Mom. She always told me she thought I was crazy, but she told everyone that she met about her daughter who runs marathons. I've undoubtedly lost my greatest fan. I'll be running for the Hole in the Wall Gang - the late Paul Newman's camp for children with various illnesses that preclude a mainstream summer camp. If anyone would like to support me and contribute to a very worthy charity (no donation is too small if it's given from the heart), this link will take you to my web page : http://www.teamholeinthewall.org/Page.aspx?pid=519&frsid=1122 Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Tramps

Nice runs this morning, including Byll's fast tempo miles and Holly's long one with good MP miles. I did 7.5 as a mini "wave" run, alternating easy miles with tempo ones. Got my corral assignment this morning. But I'm not freaking out either. Smile Yet.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

Look at you Holly, railing those BQMP...you Rockkkkkkkk girl. Great job on the wave Tramps. I love doing the wave runs., they seem to give me a lot of energy. 6 miles this early morning in 17F weather. the moon was absolutely stunning this morning. I will be off line until Sat. night.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tim.. have you ever been injured in the absence of a woman? Smile I'm sure the knee will be fine. I had a run much like Byll's, except mine started out with some barking from the hip adductor for a half block then better and better. 8 miles in 1:06:00 (8:15 pace, AHR 151). Started with 2 miles with Tory at 9:40 pace then 6 miles at: 8:00, 7:45, 7:45, 7:42, 7:42, 7:46. That pace felt really good (and pain free) today so I guess I don't need the hip adductor for that! Roll eyes

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim.. have you ever been injured in the absence of a woman? Smile I'm sure the knee will be fine.
                      Big grin...Steve, you do make a good point ... .unfortunately Roll eyes. But hey, I'm a single guy just trying....not too well BTW Sad TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Six fairly mellow miles for me this morning---back home in Massachusetts where it is still winter----21º and winds gusting and howling up to 40 mph at 6:30 a.m. Lots of people without power here. I did my neighborhood loop and all is well. Good runs here---nice MP miles there Holly and good going on that Tempo Bill. Nice easing off Tim and I am sorry, but I almost spewed tea onto my computer when I read Perch's post! Too funny about the women and mishaps. Great paces Perch. Sorry that you are sick at Disney Nono. dg----great news that you can run while doing PT. I can feel that joy of yours! Peter----remember that sleep is a weapon and part of the training. I know you want to get the miles in, but with 5 weeks to go---you are there. Getting to the starting corral rested and un-injured is your number one job now. Go Tramps! Thinking about you Stumpy CNYrunner
                        TammyinGP

Nice runs for many of you so far this a.m. Timbo Timbo Timbo . . . what are we gonna do with you? Tongue I ran 4 miles yesterday during my lunch hour and then another 1.75 when I got home - dogs were feeling frisky, so I thought a short run would be good for them. It was such a nice day yesterday - low 60's, sunny. Wish I would have had time for more running when I got home. I sure am loving the extra daylight in the evening now though! another nice day here, so plan on heading outside during my lunch hour again for 4 miles or so. Maybe do some lunges at home this evening. Haven't done those for awhile and they hurt so good . . . when you do them properly Roll eyes Tongue Have a good day everyone!

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

I feel so sorry for Evryday, who has nowhere to run, but then again he has nowhere to hide either. Good call Perch. I was thinking he reminds me a bit like Inspector Clouseau when he is around women. "I have repaired your doorbell from the ringing." Holly, that is exactly what you should be doing, getting in those long and medium long runs with some strong pace in the middle of them. Sue, good for you. Now that I know how to post a link, thanks to Tim, here is yours: http://www.teamholeinthewall.org/Page.aspx?pid=519&frsid=1122 I wimped out and ran at the Y today, five easy miles at 9:03 pace. It's only 14 laps to the mile and I hate those tight turns. Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Tamster – did you ever refinance your mortgage? We are finally closing tomorrow on ours. We ended up with 4.75% interest. I’m happy with that.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

no, I'm still watching the rates daily. Right now the rates are 4.75 and our mortgage is 5.25, so it needs to go down more before it'll be worth it for us. I still think we'll see it lower. But 4.75 is a great rate! Congrats to you guys. I remember when I was a kid and my parent's commenting on their 13% rate or something insane like that!

Tammy