Masters Running

Tuesday First day of Sept. Master Runs and Workouts (Read 400 times)

Here's hoping this first day of September has everyone feeling good, happy, and strong!

After two straight days of short recovery runs, I was ready to run something else this morning!

But Tinman was continuing to go "fairly" easy on my today with only 7 miles on the plan with 10 x 30 secs. @ 3K to 5K pace (6:59 to 7:19), with 1 minute jog recoveries between.  (I think he's trying to save me for Thursday which looks to be a very "interesting" workout.)

I ran a fairly good 4.5 miles to start off at GA pace (9:00 min/mile) then started the short repeats.  These came in at 7:04 down to 6:45 - faster than called for, but I wanted to run!  So I did.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Breeger.. a testiment to your fitness level : " ... Tinman was continuing to go "fairly" easy on my today with only 7 miles on the plan..." 

ONLY!

Yea for cool weather Plan was to run a 2.2 mile hilly loop x 3 at MP'ish (7:55).
      After 1 mi with dogs the loops were:
      17:22 (7:53, AHR 157)
      17:24 (7:54, AHR 163)
      17:26 (7:55, AHR 165)
      Nailed it! The 62F really helped!

Overall 7.6 miles in 1:02:08 (8:10 pace)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Morning, gang!

Yep, I'm feeling good, happy and strong on this first day of September!

Temp was 52 degrees with a stiff breeze - very exhilarating.  DH and I worked out on the track this morning.  My run was supposed to be a tempo with a target pace of 9:31.  1 mile warmup @ 9:55, followed by 7 tempo miles @ 9:07; 9:03; 9:02; 8:49; 8:53; 8:50; 8:44.  159 AHR.  So nice to finish a tempo run and no be soaked with sweat. 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Tramps

Nice work, Byll and Steve (and Sue--who snuck in there just as I was about to post).

Gorgeous 58F weather to start a new month. The best running weather in weeks.

It was just in time for tempo Tuesday. 

2 mile warm-up

2x3 miles @ 7:30 (water break in middle)

2 mile cool-down

Cool weather definitely helped and I hit pace just about perfectly.

Be safe. Be kind.

Good morning Bill and Perch. You guys are amazing. An "easy" 7-miler? OK... And Perch,  running hills at an 8:10 pace. My excuse is it's warmer where you are than it is here.

7.5 not-so-easy miles for me this morning, 9:14 pace in 43° temps. Hey - that's 4 degrees warmer than yesterday! I finished up with 5 minutes jumping rope and now my legs feel like rubber.

Twocat, your DW is running very well - she could easily do that half marathon. If anyone can talk her into running it, it's you.

Supposed to finally warm up here in time for the holiday weekend which is good news. DH and I are playing in a husband/wife golf tournament. Wicked format: 6 holes of best ball, 6 holes alternate shot, 6 holes modified scramble. We'll see how strong our marriage is!

Have a great day everyone.

MTA Wow - Sue and Tramps snuck in there quickly. Nice cool first day of September runs for you two as well!

I saw some leaves falling off a tree today!  No, no, no . . . . I do not see anybody reporting temps below 70, I do not see anybody reporting temps below 70 . . .

Jlynne there is actually no chance I could ever talk her into running the HM or any other race!  lol  But, I am working on her friends . . .

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Teresa – your DD rocks – what a great letter!

Twocat – congratulations to your DW on her new race distance PR!

Breger – speedy repeats!

Perch – nice job keeping pace in spite of the hills!

Tramps – we’re just coming into your season.  Do you have fall race plans?

Sue – nice tempo run on the track.  I’m thinking of possibly doing my Thursday tempo run on the track, due to the full darkness on the river trail.  Do you find that it hurts one side to be turning so many times in the same direction on these longer track runs?

Jlynne – nice frisky run for you as well.

This week my boss is on vacation.  The last time my DS had a doctor appointment (for his asthma) on a day we had a crisis at work (due to her own poor judgment) my boss had a meltdown (even though I canceled the appointment) and told me I’d better find another job if I couldn’t schedule appointments after HER time.  Therefore this week that she’s gone I have appointments scheduled every day for me or the kids – dental cleanings, booster shots, check-ups, asthma re-checks, which means I’m leaving early every day, which means I’m really busy trying to get my work done in a shorter amount of time.  (sigh)  I should be having an easy week while she’s gone, but instead I’m busier than ever.

Interval day today, with IRC at 55°.  The FIRST plan called for 3 sets of (2 x 1200) with 2 minute recovery and 4 minute recovery between sets.  I interpreted that as:

1200 (2 min recovery)

1200 (4 min recovery)

1200 (2 min recovery)

1200 (4 min recovery)

1200 (2 min recovery)

1200 (4 min recovery)

The FIRST plan suggested I do shoot for 5:18 (7:06) – (insert loud guffaw here), but I knew that wasn’t going to happen.   My legs are still tired a bit from Sunday’s 20-miler, so I really didn’t know what to expect.  I shot for a fast-but-remember-you-have-to-do-6-of-these pace.  Here’s what I got:

1.2 mile WU @ 9:39, including 3 x 60-second striders

5:48 (7:47)

5:52 (7:52)

5:54 (7:55)

5:56 (7:57)

5:52 (7:52)

5:36 (7:30)

4.39 CD @ 10:20

11 miles total

I still had enough left to pull out the stops for the last one.  The strange thing was that I was never really out of breath, but my legs just couldn’t go any faster.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly,

Your legs wouldn't go because of the 20 miler two days ago.  So, instead of a VO2 Max workout, you got a solid Tempo workout.  It's all good!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Wow....Great runs ! Bill, Perch,Tramps, Sue and Holly ! Awesomely Solid !

It's no wonder those yonger age groups can't keep up !

I had to modify my plan and skip a WU and CD. (short on time) I got 5.2 in, short warm up followed by 10mins @ 7:07, 10mins @ 7:09 and then another 10 mins @ 7:30 That last one was supposed to be my cool down but I was feeling pretty good so I just went with the flow.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to get out for another run tonight.

The last time my DS had a doctor appointment (for his asthma) on a day we had a crisis at work (due to her own poor judgment) my boss had a meltdown (even though I canceled the appointment) and told me I’d better find another job if I couldn’t schedule appointments after HER time.  Therefore this week that she’s gone I have appointments scheduled every day for me or the kids – dental cleanings, booster shots, check-ups, asthma re-checks, which means I’m leaving early every day, which means I’m really busy trying to get my work done in a shorter amount of time.  (sigh)  I should be having an easy week while she’s gone, but instead I’m busier than ever.

Holly let me guess. Your boss is either: A - single, or B - married, but no kids. It seems like you bust your butt for her. Happy employees are motivated employees. I think it's harder to work for a woman (sorry, ladies) than anything else. I wouldn't feel a bit guilty if I were you.  How is your DH feeling, by the way?

Slo - how were your temps this morning? Must not have been too bad if you didn't mention them!

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly let me guess. Your boss is either: A - single, or B - married, but no kids. It seems like you bust your butt for her. Happy employees are motivated employees. I think it's harder to work for a woman (sorry, ladies) than anything else. I wouldn't feel a bit guilty if I were you.  How is your DH feeling, by the way?

My boss is a 71-year-old attorney who divorced when her only son (my age now) was 4, and her husband raised him.  Therefore, she never really understood the nitty-gritty details about raising children, and has apparently forgotton those things she did know.  Oddly, she does a large amount of Guardian ad Litem work in Juvenile Court, and is very proud of that.

DH is much better, thanks.  He is convinced he got food poisening from food he got at the concession stand at DD's soccer game, and since none of the rest of us have come down with anything, he may be right.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Slo - how were your temps this morning? Must not have been too bad if you didn't mention them!

I could see my breath when I walked outside. I could have worn a long sleeve or short sleeve shirt. I put gloves on for my bike commute.

I think they said the Hi today was going to be 74. (corrected projected hi)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, Holly, you're doing great!  A 20-miler and then that workout.  You people amaze me! 

I ran 3.3 miles just now.  I was lazy and waited too long, so it was 66 and sunny when I ran.  Felt hot!  LOL, Twocat, I saw a BRIGHT RED LEAF at the end of our driveway and couldn't believe it.  Not yet!!  We had to close our bedroom window overnight because it was too chilly.  I'm not really complaining - September is a fantastic month to run here. 

I think my first pair of Pearl Izumis (I've since bought three more pairs that I use in rotation with them, plus a 4th pair that I'm holding in reserve!) is giving out after about 360 miles.  Sniff, I'm kind of sentimental about them, because I can't believe I finally found shoes that are so AWESOME!  They'd better keep making these for awhile.

After lunch, we're heading over to the first HS XC meet of the season, where BOTH of my sons will be running!  I'm so excited.  DS17 will be running in the #1 spot for his team (barely beat out his incredibly fast teammate who does the 800 in 1:56, but doesn't train as hard as DS) in the main event, and DS14 will be running in the Open race after that.

Holly nice work.  You kicked my butt on the 20 miler and you did the speedwork I was supposed to do this morning Smile

September brings with it cooler temps.  52°F for my run today.  I actually felt chilly at the start.

10.1 miles, 1:21:32, 8:05/mi, AHR 154 (79% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Teresa - remember the "rule of running shoes":  if you really, really like 'em, they won't make them any more.   Best of luck to your DS's!

Holly - I quizzed my sports doc about that very question - when I used to run 20 milers on an 8th mile track. He said it wouldn't be a problem.  I sometimes switch directions during a long run on the track, but it's mostly because I want another view.

twocat - all of the sycamore trees around my workplace are dropping their leaves - not a pretty sight. 

Some nice, speedy runs today, folks - gotta love this cooler weather.

I found time for 14 miles on the bike for lunch.  Now I have to prepare for a project team presentation this afternoon....  blech.... no matter how many times I've had to do it, I hate public speaking.......

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous