Masters Running

SleepInSundaily 7/7 (Read 42 times)

bioguy

What's up Masters? 10:30 am and no start to the day? Remember the old Navy ads? Get more done before everyone else is awake  (or something along those lines)

I got in a bit over 7, followed by an hour of push mowing some trim stuff.

Tailwinds!

What's up Masters? 10:30 am and no start to the day? Remember the old Navy ads? Get more done before everyone else is awake  (or something along those lines)

I got in a bit over 7, followed by an hour of push mowing some trim stuff.

Tailwinds!

The Navy cheats. They "get more done" in a different time zone.

Did you know that it's almost July 8 in Tokyo? (15 minutes from now). That's why Japan is always ahead of us, and the Navy stationed there, too.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Marathon Maniac #957

Surly Bill - Yowza, that's a lot of miles!  How are you feeling today?

I tried to sign up for a local 12-hour endurance run scheduled for October 5, but they are already full.  I am #79 on the wait list.  Any chance that 79 people will change their mind? Not likely.  The weekend before is the Germantown 50k - my first choice, but DH and I are supposed to go away with another couple that weekend.

12.15 miles for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

3.4 miles for me this morning to wind up the week.  More rain is moving in, but I beat it and got to enjoy the pre-rain humidity.   Planning on a lazy day today before the work week starts up tomorrow.

Tet-  I think my son wears a one piece tri kit to race, but I know what you mean by the shorter tops.  That's mainly a guy thing.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

...mornin'.....

87-degree heat index  (which I was feeling this morning)

no wind

,,,,,,,,70-min RC at soccerfields......

========

eye exam  tomorrow,

so probably a Rest Day

Luckily

I have stashed some Vanilla Wafers to console me

.........Good Running to Ya.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

coastwalker

Howdy everyone.

Thanks for the start, bioguy.

Surly Bill, the only way I'm going to go 58 miles in a day is in my car. Congrats on extraordinary racing and your AG win.

Nice morning runs, Holly and KSA. Holly, good luck getting into the 12-hr. in October.

We had a great neighborhood party at a neighbor's home yesterday evening. There was lots of laughing, chatting, eating, and drinking. No politics was discussed - we decided it was too early to dig into the '20 elections.

I went up to Kennebunk (ME) for a 5K redemption race this morning after my poor performance in the 4-miler on Thursday. This was a nice little 5K (195 finishers) on a gorgeous course with roughly the last half along the local beaches on the ocean.  66° with a slight breeze and lots o' sun at the start. The first mile had the only real hill on the course - a short but somewhat steep uphill. We wove through some neighborhoods before turning along the ocean for the way back. My first 2 miles were decent, and I kept pushing, but still had a disappointing 3rd mile at 10:54. I finished with a 10:38 average pace, which was a lot closer to where I thought I should be than my 11:01 pace on Thursday. My finish today was good for 3rd AG (no walker division), but the awards only went 2-deep. I had the race I wanted, and that was all that mattered to me. I took Rt. 95 back from ME to NH, and the traffic was horrendous, with (apparently) lots 'o people returning from long weekend or week-long holiday vacations. I was on 95 for about 25 miles, and for most of that, we never got above 25 mph. Ahhh - the joys of summer travel.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Luckily

I have stashed some Vanilla Wafers to console me

jay - nice racing, but bummer about the traffic - I hate getting stuck in traffic...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I'm glad to say that I had the best run today that I've had this year, or at least back to April when I hurt my leg. Mainly, the humidity and heat broke and it was upper 60s and drier feeling with a nice cooling breeze. This is our "club's" monthly run out at the lake, and I met up with one of the few guys in my AG that is still running. A comfortable 5 miles at a 10:58 pace. Dr. Mike had done a 10K yesterday and was flagging by the end, but I still ran better than if I'd been out there alone. Amazing what getting back to running can do for one's mood, eh?

Got back in time to watch some of the Tour de France coverage.  Announcers Phil Liggett and Bob Roll seem to think all we care about is how many min/sec the leader is ahead of the peleton when I’d like to know average and maximum speeds, cadences, etc.  I even said so to Bob once when he was a speaker at the local bike club’s now defunct bike expo.

Tet, overlooking the Bob Roll name-dropping, it might be difficult to get some of that info in real-time, and even afterwards the teams don't like revealing too much. I think they're pretty good about mentioning the current pace of the peleton and the speeds of the sprinters near the end (40+ mph on the flat!).

What's really interesting (to me, anyway) is the there are 90 riders who are uploading at least some of their data to Strava, and you're free to add them to your Following list. I added TeeJay Van Garteren (one of the few Americans) and Richie Porte to mine just for fun. There was also one rider who didn't edit in his own name for yesterday's stage, so it shows up on Strava as the default "Lunch Ride".  So on his "lunch ride" he rode 126 miles, climbed 5600 ft (fairly flat route), averaged 26+ mph and a max of 50mph. He averaged 220 watts with a max of 1100. As I said, most don't publish power or HR data, which might reveal too much to the other teams (or agencies I suppose).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

Thanks for the start, bioguy.

Nice racing from dnaff, Joe, Jay, and serious miles from Surly! Congrats to you all.

And a Mike and Joe meet-up, too. Nice.

Early ride this morning for 39 miles before it got too hot. Cycling is way easier than running this time of year, though. At least you make your own breeze.

Be safe. Be kind.

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, I've always ignored rule #1 so won't even call myself a scofflaw today.  A very pleasant (for this time of year) 7.5 miles in a light rain.  No walking, didn't carry water and had an enjoyable time.  Avoided puddles initially then, as usual, as my shoes got soaked splashed through them later in the run.  Wrapping up a couple of tasks then will head south.

Roch/Tet, I believe Roch is correct about the power/HR data.  Some teams will provide this at the end of the race (bragging?) but with it all amalogated so you can't tell the power produced by their sprinters or the climbers.

Surly, Wow!  That is a lot of miles regardless.  Congratulations!

Jay, you're "slow" race walking pace is fantastic.  Excellent work this morning!

RunnerKSA, this time of year?  All about the run in the rain.  Regarding running bras....one of my training (and racing) friends (when I was in Athens, GA) saw a fellow competitor at one of our local 5k's.  "Oh, she's serious; she's just wearing a sports bra!"

Have a greta day everyone!

Henrun

Surly-fantastic

Mike and Joe- Great meet up

Jay-Glad you’re back to expected speed. Too bad 3rd AG wasn’t acknowledged.

Sorry about the traffic. That’s why we returned yesterday.

Went out for a 2.5 mile run early this morning with cooler and drier temps. Getting slower and slower. Avoiding races to preserve what little self esteem I have left as a runner. It could be blamed on age but several of my contemporaries are leaving me in the dust.😢

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Did you know that it's almost July 8 in Tokyo? (15 minutes from now). That's why Japan is always ahead of us, and the Navy stationed there, too.

That's why December 7 happened on December 8 and Japanese friends have no idea if I mention it on December 7.  However, I've been to base commissaries over there many times and always assumed they were on Japan time too.

Roch - neat.

I was just getting the hour long post-stage version of Stage One on NBC so I missed the 40mph estimates. Amazing. Now (Sunday), they have Seattle soccer, NASCAR, etc. with nary a mention of the TdF, . . . or even the London World Cup results.

ps - speaking of name dropping, I have marathon shirts signed by Joanie ("neat feat Mr. Bare Feet"), Boston Billie, Frank Shorter, Julie Moss, Scott Tinley and Dave  Scott but probably KSA is the only one who knows the last three, . . . or does she?

For someone who once vowed to quit running if it ever took longer than five hours to run 26.2 miles (11:28m/m), I’d never have believed it would someday be possible to be as happy, if not more so, to run 7.15 miles at a 27:44m/m but that’s just how I feel after this morning’s 186 times up the top 54 stairs (432') in the nearby Hillside Park and 186 times down the wood-chipped, adjacent doggy pathy for 10,044 stairs and 1.25 miles (432'x186) in elevation.  In fact, I liked it so much I did it 14 more times for an even 200 round-trips. Watch out Mt. Everest!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

...Amazing tet, stairs are killers.........w0w.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

"Oh, she's serious; she's just wearing a sports bra!"

Hopefully there were some shorts involved as well....

Dave59

Nice running folks. We're back to home in WV. So far, one swim in the condo pool with the grandkid. Think I'll head to the store for some needed supplies (bread & milk).

For those who are dying to know, I only wore 1 shirt per day on my little trip so I had 6 clean ones to put away when we got home. Guess I didn't need the stack of shirts after all, (I did wear 2 on the day I ran the 5k but that doesn't count.)

Back to some running tomorrow.