Masters Running

The Worst and the Best of 2008 (Read 437 times)

In 2008, what was the worst thing that happened to you with regard to running, but more importantly, what was your greatest achievement? Worst - First DNF, 50k SOB Trail Run, Ashland, OR (I admit it - I cried Blush ) Greatest - First ultra finish (and dang proud of being DFL), 50k Trail Run, Forest Park, Portland, OR. Also, a significant increase in my speed and endurance. Thanks for sharing!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

In respect to running the worst had to be the injuries I had: Compartmental syndrome on my lower right shin while prepping for the Eugene Marathon. Downgraded to the Half and had a flare up of ITBS during the HM and for about a month afterwards. Then PF/AT issues that bothered me off and on from about July to the present. The best though was participating in the Ragnar Relay - Northwest Passage in July. Even with the foot issues I had going on then, I still had the best time evah!

Tammy

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Easy! My BEST achievement was running my first Marathon and having such wonderful support from everyone here and also at home. I get butterflies still thinking back on that day. I cannot think of a worst. Maybe the marathon training at times - but all in all I'd say 2008 was a wonderful year!! Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Worst: Trying to run a Marathon (made it 16 miles) with AT - Stress Fracture - Heel Spur - and badly sprained ankle, all in one foot Black eye Best: Running over 2000 miles for the first time ever, in 10 months (off Nov and Dec due to above) - PR's in 5K, 10K, 10 Mile, and 1/2 M Smile. And probally the best of 2008 too................is meeting allll the great friends I have here at RA Cool TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

xor

Worst thing: trying to run the Disney half less than two weeks after a Neulasta shot. Best thing: PRing in the Disney half. (I was going to mention my gunshot wound, but it only qualifies as second)

worst - nerve compression that gave me back/shooting pain in the buttocks that really sidelined me for awhile!! best - running the disney 1/2 marathon knowing my mom was out there rooting for me and helping my friend run her first 1/2 marthon!!

denise

Gosh, it is so hard to pick just one for best and worst! The best list: 1. crossing the line at Eugene full 2. Ragnar Relay Northwest Passage 3. running a 3:15 for 1/2 mile at the track The worst list: 1. almost throwing up at mile 22 (see 1. above) 2. bonking at mile 6 of the SJJ HM 3. bonking again badly 8 weeks later at mile 8 in a HM

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Ummm Enke, I think you need to work on that bonking thing Fren Wink TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Slo

The best........ I most likely beat an 8 yr standing PR in a two mile race. Finished 7th overall, 1st place award in my AG. (2nd place overall in my AG, the guy who beat me took 2nd overall for the race). The Worst...... Not knowing if I really set a new PR because the timer "forgot" to start the clock.
                    DoppleBock

Best - May - 50 mile trail race and June 24 hour race Worst ... Downhill from there ... never got any ambition or traction on training the rest of the year. Best ... Since I never got into good shape, I ran some marathons I would have never run - For fun and not for time. Worst ... Was so out of shape & fat by October, I skipped the Ultra-Centric 24 hour race Worst ... I seriously considered stopping running and questioned why I do it Best ... I love to run even if it is in half ass shape

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Timbo - Somehow I knew what your "worst" would be. Wink Dopple Bock - Best ... I love to run even if it is in half ass shape I second that emotion!

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

I had so many "Best" things happen in 2008, but without a doubt my absolute best was my PR at the Boston Marathon of 3:3848. I don't know if I'll ever beat that time, but it's ok. I had such a blast at the race and all the events before and after. Yes Oh! Maybe a toss up? I got the 4:15 time I'd been wanting so long on the Equinox Marathon on my 4th running of it. Finally! (well, that Boston PR is still #1 I think) Next up would be the AZ Ragnar Relay with an awesome team from both here and KR. I made some wonderful new friends and participated in an event that just defines fun in so many ways. Third best would probably be my Half Marathon PR in August of 1:41:21... completely flat course, so not as impressive as what some of you do, but I was sure tickled with it. The absolute worst thing that happened to me running-wise was the foot "injury" or condition or whatever we want to call it that just about ruined my NYC marathon and laid me up for three weeks afterward. That really sucked.

Prince of Fatness

Best - PR's in 4 different distances from 4 miles to half marathon. Worst - A myriad of lower leg problems that started in November. I still haven't completely recovered, but I am getting there.

Not at it at all. 

rlemert

Worst: A minor 'snap' of something in the back of my knee that kept me out of the game most of the spring - including keeping me out of our local spring half. (On the positive side - the weather for that race was terrible and I wasn't in it.) Best: Probably the Turkey Trot 8K. That may have been the best job I've ever done of setting and maintaining an aggressive but doable pace for an entire race.
                                Best memories in '08...... 1. When I FINALLY was able to do a 10-mile LR. Couldn't wait to get in the double-digits! 2. Running with my sister and my daughter on a few occasions. Even a couple of races we did together. Worst memories in '08 1. Those damn cortizone shots in the knee! Oucheee mama....... Jewels
                                But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee