Masters Running

Sunday, Nov. 22, 2015 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sounds like an entertaining run, Holly. Do ducks travel in 'groups'?

I guess he wants to do another marathon, TW. "if it hurts when you Do Dat,  DON'T DO DAT!!!!!!" How can anyone (except the guy who wants to do that marathon) argue with that advice?

Congrats on the long run, Henry!

I'm glad Enke and Remi had a good sniffing run in the 2nd best weather.

Good luck today, Aamos!! No leaners, OK?

Evanflein, jealous only begins to describe how I feel about your trip!

Congrats on another run, Tammy, and on the new furry friend who seems to be (not surprisingly) doing well in your care.

Congrats on keeping your impressive streak going, TSelbes, on winning the bird, and on listening to your hip when it speaks to you.

Econo, it is amazing how far one can walk in an airport and never venture outside. How many airports do you expect to hit? Doing a book on airport walking?

Good luck getting that hip flexor back in line, Leslie.

Nice rambling, Mike. Good luck with dealing with that butt pain. Do you really want to do a marathon? See TomWhite...

Never too late for this party, Mariposai. Nice post-work 5-miler.

I went to the 1st indoor/winter farmer's market of the season yesterday and loaded up on all kinds of fresh veggies (blue and 'red gold' potatoes, golden baby beets, orange and purple carrots, green and red cabbage, etc.), locally-made peanut butter, and a loaf of gluten-free bread. I love that we have year-round farmer's markets!

4.5 RW miles this morning in 36F temps, and under cloudy, pre-rain skies. I've been doing some work with a stretch band for the last few days that seems to have isolated, activated, and stretched my glutes. Based on this morning's workout, it seems to be (hopefully) finally resolving the issue I've been dealing with for the last couple a' months. I'll keep working with the stretch band, and see what that next few days bring.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy Sunday, Masters!

Henrun, happy to hear you ran 10 miles yesterday!  Yay for double digit runs! And TomS, that's a greta streak of racing every month!  Was it an organic turkey?

Holly, that sounds like a peaceful 14 miler, with the sunrise and ducks.

Aamos - have a greta time at the flying monkey!  I wouldn't mind doing that one again some time, even though it's paved.  And don't believe their slogan "we've got big hills"  - there are lots of rollers, and nothing flat, but not big hills.

Tamster, that's a lot of excuses for not running!  Get out the door and RUN!  (Well, okay, smoky air and 100° temps sound like great reasons not to run!)  But now that it's cool and not smoky, it should be greta running weather!

Leslie, nice 10 miler at the McKay!   I loved it there, the one time I ran there when I was visiting you.  You're so lucky to have all that greenness and quiet, and a choice of flats or hills, so close to home!

Mike,  I agree about the family feeling here!  Partly because of stories like yours about your family!   That's not something you'd post or read on FB.

Oh, and speaking of families - CNYrunner's Super Granny celebrated her 105th birthday yesterday!

Econo, did that 7 miles at the airport include carrying/pulling your luggage?  Since you're not allowed to leave it unattended???

I met my ultra group for a snowy trail run yesterday, followed by going out for pizza and beer for lunch.  The snow was pretty deep, so it took us 3 hours to go 10.5 miles, and we cut off an extra loop we were planning.  There were 12 people; about half were old friends and the other half are now new friends.  Good bunch of folks.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

moebo

Jay, glad to hear you're feeling better. I guess if the stretch band doesn't work, you can always ask tomwhite about poolrunning !

Wild, sounds like a fun time with your ultra friends yesterday. But it seems so early for snow! How is the van/camper project going?

Tselbs, congratulations on your latest 5K! I hope your hip is okay today.

And Henrun, congratulations to you, too, on your longest run in two years!

Aamos, I can't wait to hear how your race went!

I haven't had time to post in a few days, though I did get out to run every day except yesterday. We had my BF's DD and SIL staying here for the week, and the only alone time I could find was when I was running!  Six days in a row is a lot for me, though, so I probably ought to dial it back this week. But right now, I am finding it harder and harder to take days off--I just feel so much happier when I can start my day off with a run!

Today I wasn't sure how far I wanted to go, so I just went out and explored some routes that I haven't tried before.  I ended up with 9.75 miles at a 9:41 pace. Hope everyone has a great Sunday.

TammyinGP

yes, you are right Carolyn - alot of excuses and it's time to get back at it. I have races planned for 2016 after all!!

just finished making the motherload of pancakes for 3 teen boys. whew! will get in another run this afternoon when we break out of our fog. Smile

Tammy

7.2 miles no dog and no sniffing this time however I did take numerous walk breaks - knee feels achy on the uphills, and just cause I felt like walking.  Well, at least I got over 20 miles for the week.  Cold and sunny, just the way I like it.  Four days of work left at the old job....I've been counting down.

Mike - Mr tall skinny with blue eyes has never commented on my Canadian spelling.  Maybe it has something to do with his Canadian (on paper) citizenship.  Smile  I knew there was an extra reason for liking him.

Tammy, I am full of excuses too - let's not do that anymore!  June will be here in no time at all.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Sunday greetings, all.  Speaking of not running much, i finished off a 3.2 mile week this morning.  After several days of a sore foot and travel meant that today was my one and only run of the week.    I had been hoping for more, but it started to rain about half way through, and although I usually don't mind, it was only 40°.  Not IRC.

Hope the Monkey folks warmed up and ran well.

Glad you're working out the kinks, Jay.

Nice snowy run, Carolyn.  Sounds like a very pleasant way to spend a moringn.  Speaking of pleasant ways to spend time, Econo's in NOT on the list.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!  Most fun I've had running in a while.  Just a tad of leaning at the end, but much much improved.  Beautiful day, just cold.  Hung out at the fire pit before and after, so good3.  At Starbucks now; in line, the guy next to me sniffed, then asked: "have you been camping?"  Say tw, back me up here?  We had to scrape the windshield this am, and it was after 7 am!

oh oh DH is looking up BBQ places.  He really really really enjoyed Martin's ribs yesterday and he did stand out in the cold at an aid station all morning, brrr.  At least I was moving!

Cheers!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mike E

MM #5615

I just got back from the basketball tournament my granddaughters were in.  They both made it to the championship game and one took the runner up while the other won.  It was pretty exciting.  With about 20 seconds to go--and down by 3--Jenna (my GD) took the ball down the court--it looked like she was going to drive to the basket--but pulled up at the arch and drained a 3 pointer for the tie.  Then, with some great defense, our team managed to get the ball back and draw a foul.  So--with 7 seconds to go, our girl went to the free through line and knocked down both free throws.  Again--with some good solid defense at the end--and the game was over.  It was really cool.

I just tried copying some pictures but it's not letting me right now.

"  Say tw, back me up here?  We had to scrape the windshield this am, and it was after 7 am!''

.......true dat///............though I was thinking many of you must have been insane......

IT WAS FREEZIN' THIS MORNING!!!!!!

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Quickie post 5.8 miles avg pace 9:25 before work this morning. Don't usually run over 5 before work but had the time and misjudged the distance - felt great!

Father-in-law back in hospital - glad I was with mil to call ambulance and get her to the hospital Friday night. Home with hospice just not working for them - really hope he goes to a hospice facility from the hospital instead of home .... It's just too hard on her Sad

denise

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Good job amy on the somewhat hilly, but most definitely freezy, Monkey.
                        pretty soon you’ll be ready to race out here in the PNW again,
                        . . . unless you stop in carolyn-land too long.
                        If you do, run a few there for me too.
                        After nearly almost twenty-five-and-half hours of running in the rain in the last three weekends’ Carkeek 12-hour and in the In-Unity-We-Run and First-Call-Veteran’s-Day Marathons, I wouldn’t have minded one bit if this morning’s sunny-and-39-degree warm Gobble-Gobble 10K had taken longer than 1:05:05 but it was kind of nice to wallop last month’s 1:10:44 Dawg Dash 10K by more than five minutes.  Yiuppee.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Holly S. maybe a lost South American duck? 

tomwhite another lesson in why life is better in the Caribbean.

henrun I do not want to hear anything about college football after California lost for the SIXTH year in a row to Stanford. 

enkephalin I guess stopping to sniff beats running at top speed to chase down a deer!

AamosY Tennessee barbecue is a taste to behold!

evanflein pretty much anywhere to Alaska is a long trip.

TammyinGP congratulations on the new furry addition to the family. Very nice of you to take in such an old rescue dog.

tselbs one race per calendar month hitting on 12 years!  Just amazing to be so injury free you could pull that off. Congratulations!!

moebo there are worse things than wanting to go for a run to get away from it all!

econo thanks to a combination of United delays just for the heck of a delay so far as I can tell plus the weather at O'Hare I was a half day late for a talk in, of all places, Kentucky.  Since then I try to avoid Chicago airports, outside of the summer, whenever possible. I hope you finally get going again.

fattozig man that slipping through mud on your run so does not sound like fun!

Mike E good luck with the pictures. Glad you had a good time at the kid's basketball game.

Mariposai on the up side you will be a budget creating wiz after this!

tetujin209 I am going with lost South American duckling. 

I booked my flights for the New Orleans Marathon. Between that and the registration fee a good chunk of the cost is now sunk so I better up and do it! Towards that end I ran 17 today. My first long run of this training cycle. I had thought to go 16 but in the end I felt really strong and so tacked on a mile.

I discovered that Pandora has a station called Running Radio. I tell you it is an awesome station for, well, running!

With lots of demands for my drunken cranberry sauce by my DW's sisters I made a double batch (8 cups of cranberries to start) for Thanksgiving. That is one side down and an appetizer (chestnut soup), a turkey and, and, and I have no idea!  Any suggestions?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Just sneaking in to post 5.2 miles for Sunday...

Mike - that sounds like an exciting game!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

Hi Tammy!!!!! Me and Dad don't get out lots either. It's very nice you have a new dog.

Mr. Tom, I'm glad you went run run run at a race!! I like races the best! There are a lot of turkey talking going on right now. I don't know why. It sure makes we want some though. With ice cream.

Ducks are just dumb. When I try to get them to go run run run, they just sit on top of the water and float away or go run run run way up high in the sky. They are just big fat cheaters and no fun. I'm gonna find me a goose and get 'em get 'em.

Coastwalker. I like digging beets up, but I don't eat them. No one I know really likes them. When me and Mom and Dad we in Charley Boy with every one, Dad got lots and lots of beet juice. He went to try a taste and the people there asked if wanted a whole lot. He's dumb and took a whole bunch. He finally found some one who would like it.

Did Super Granny get ice cream and a cape?

Hi Amy!! Did you get snacks?

I'm sorry about your father-in-law Deez.

TwoCat..."Running Radio"?. mmm Maybe dad's phone/camera/distraction will make good noise now.

When it was yesterday, I was watching TV and Mom went bye bye. Dad came out with one of my shirts and asked if I wanted to go run run run!!! I got so rexcited!! It was hard to hold still when he put it on me. Dad looked at his phone and said it wasn't snowing by the Sleeping Bear Dunes yet. So we went there so I could wake the bears up!!!

It took forever to get there

When we finally did, I was so ready!! I could not believe it was for real!

We went to the big big water!!

But we didn't see and bears.

When we were in the sand, our feets sinked way in. It was harder and it was lots of fun!

We finally got to trails and there still were not any bears.

We went all over and found nice places to camp and a place where the bears keep food.

Dad said I had to stay by him because there are big cats out there too. He's a big scaredy cat! I ain't afraid of no cat!!!

When we got done, it was a long time and Dad smelled like the dumb cat's litter box. We went to a nice place where I could finally have a drink.

When we went bye bye back home, I fell asleep and was really really happy when Dad stopped. We got to have ice cream and pizza!!!!

Sniffing Butts, Tag