Masters Running

Seattle Iron Girl 5K , Team "Mamma Mia" RR (Read 174 times)

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

I ran the Seattle Iron Girl 5K as a team with my 13yr old DD with my thoughts for my Mom who is currently quite sick in hospital about 6000 miles away in Italy. I told Gwen to run her best for her old "Nonna" , with whom unfortunately she does not share the same language ( none of my 3 kids, alas, speaks Italian!) but she confessed afterwards that she "forgot.." never mind, I did enough thinking for both of us. Back to the running part: beautiful summer morning , warmer than expected for the race around Green Lake that gathered about 2700 women for the 5/10K both offering the Mother/Daughter team category, how could I pass on the opportunity even if DD and I are so often bumping heads when it comes to running..( and everything else, that goes without saying) DD found a couple of her friends from XC and school and they lined up almost at the front, I was a bit further back . I met and chatted with a girl I had met a few weeks ago at the Tunnel Marathon , next to us was this woman who was going to run with her HUGE black dog..... I caught up with DD around mile1 but I just passed without talking to her and risking a growl in return.. we had already had a hard time choosing the name for our team: we settled on " Mamma Mia" rather than a more suited.."Shut up and run!.... I ran my race without looking at my Garmin once , and I crossed the finish line in 22:38. Gwen made it in 23:59 . As a team, our times got added and we got 2nd place , walking away with 2 sets of little silver earrings!! The race was quite well organized and had a wonderful breakfast spread and lots of white cloth tables set up on the grass, more of a garden party than the usual post race athmosphere! ..about that HUGE dog... I happened to be standing in line next to a 10K runner who was bitterly complaining about being tripped at the start ,and consequently falling, by such dog...she was, rightly so, very mad... I already promised DD that next year we'll team up again! Thanks for reading. Francesca
    SteveP

(((((Franc59's Mom))))) It's kewl you raced with DD!!! It's kewler that you got hardware!!!! Thanks for the RR

SteveP

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

fantastico running for your mom and getting second place out of more than 150 teams. I bet she must be smiling in amazement at her daughter (and granddaughter) becoming runners that could never have been imagined in her day. I love Green Lake too and hope to see you there sometime again. Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks for the report! I have done the 10K there the past two years, but opted out this year as the start is too congested. But the post-race spread is something else eh? I love the hardware (earrings!) you got. Big congrats on a job well done and a great team name!! There are also alot of dogs for some reason at the 12K's of Kirkland in December...was almost tripped up few times then... Glad you got to run "with" your daughter. Got to start training mine and maybe in about 8 years she will be ready. You probably know our school district is still on strike...I will make plans to come run with you after that is all settled...hopefully soon! Best wishes for your mother.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Francesca, nice job to you and Gwen on the 2nd place win! You're both very speedy. I thought it was funny that you didn't say hi when you passed her - my DD likes to pretend she doesn't know me, too, especially when her friends are around. Hope your mom is doing better - I'm sure she's very proud of you two, in any language.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

coastwalker

Hi Francesca, Congrats to you and DD for your great 2nd place finish! Especially in a race that large, that is a great accomplishment. Your mother must be proud of the fact that you both ran in her name - I hope that news helps her healing. You had two greta team names, but I think you chose the right one to go with. Too funny that you passed DD without a word! Maybe someday you'll wear your winnings together. There is no place in road races for dogs: At best, people still need to step around them; and at worse they cause runners to get injured. It is great to run with a dog - just don't do it in a race. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

huskydon

Francesca, Congratulations! So cool that you and your DD could run as a team and come in 2nd. Wow! You both are very fast! Despite being from Seattle, I have never run around Green Lake, that sounds like such a nice run I should have to do it some time (but without the 2700 women and one large dog). Thanks for the report! huskydon

Marathon Maniac #957

2nd place - great job, to both of you! Hope your mother gets better soon.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Now that's the kind of hardware I'd like to win! Congratulations on an excellent race "with" your daughter! My kids like to pretend they don't know me. All the better to go up and give them a big ol' hug! I had a dog run into me and knock me down on a group training run once. That hurt! Now they don't allow dogs on those runs...

King of PhotoShop

"My my, how can I resist ya." Nice going to get your daughter out there for a race, and even better that you won prizes. Well done. Hope all is well with Nonna back home. Spareribs
                        Great racing! I hope your mother is faring better? I know it's even tougher when it's over many miles. High fives on the race and strength for the longer haul to you. Karin
                          Franc, it's neat you got to do this race with your daughter in honor of your mother. It's also great that, as a team, you got second place. Congratulations. TomS
                            22 minute 5k!!!!! Wow! You go girl! You really are an Iron Girl. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.