Masters Running

The Avenue of the Giants Race & Party thread (Read 70 times)

Mariposai

Tammy, let the 7 of us share the cottage.  It will be great to have  a kitchen.

Please let us know of all your charges. I believe you should not fork out any money for making the reservations for us.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

My plan is to cancel the smaller cottage and keep adjoining cottages 11 / 12 for us.

thanks!!

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

I just booked frequent flyer tickets to Eureka/Arcata!     I'm arriving on Saturday at 12:15 pm - can anyone pick me up at the airport?

I couldn't get a free ticket home till Tuesday so I'll have Monday free to explore.  Is anyone else available to stay and play on Monday?   I can always go back to the airport and rent a car if no one else is staying.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

I'll be driving down to the area on Saturday, although not sure I can be there by noon. Leslie?? you available to pick up Carolyn at the airport?  I could be there by 1:30-2:00 if you to explore the airport for a bit though

and I won't be driving back to OR until Monday. Even though check-out will probably be about 11:00 or noon, I could hang out until mid afternoon or so and we could do something.

Tammy

I could be there by 1:30-2:00 if you to explore the airport for a bit though

Exploring the Eureka/Arcata airport (also known by its incredibly long new name: California Redwood Coast — Humboldt County Airport) would take you all of, oh, 5 minutes.

Yes, Carolyn, I can pick you up at the airport.  We'll chat closer to the time.  I need to start making notes of what's going on since it's only a couple of weeks away!

If anybody else is coming in Saturday and needs a ride, let me know.  We'll get something coordinate.  I live about 20 min +/- south of the airport, so we'll need to get some times work out.  And remember - It's at least an hour's drive from where you all are staying in Southern Humboldt to the airport in the north, so it'll be best to try and get folks all in one trip.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

The Easy Pacer and I will be making our plans this weekend. I will keep you posted.

Tamster, thanks for all your magnificent organization for this event!

I can't wait to see each one of you!!!

Nancy

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

Nancy, when you have your driving times planned, let me know. You will literally be going right past my house as you drive down Hwy 199 from Grants Pass (if you are taking I-5 to GP and then taking the Redwoods Highway down to Calif). My place would be a good stopping point for bathroom break, stretch your legs break, etc. and then we could all follow each other down from my house.

Tammy

Nancy, are we still thinking of car pooling?  I'd be happy to use my car from my place onward

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

Enkephalin, yes!! I will connect with you this by phone to work on logistics. We are really looking forward to it.

Tamster, yes!!!! that would be so much fun!

TammyinGP

As of right now, the count is 6 for those of us sharing the cottage and I believe everyone is in for both nights, right?   IF you are only planning on staying ONE night, please please let me know ASAP as that will greatly affect the cost for the 2nd night and I want everyone to know up front what their expenses will be and be okay with it.

The 6 are: me, enke, dive, wildchild, mariposai and easy pacer.

that will come to just under $103 per person for BOTH nights (that includes the taxes). so it's a bit more than our original projection but at only about $50 a night, it's still much less than hotels, plus we save money by doing our own food in our kitchen.

I sent an email to Johnny to see if he wanted to come down. He's not running right now (very little due to recurrent injuries), but want to see if he wanted to come down for the socializing aspect of the wknd. I'll keep you posted.

Tammy

TammyinGP

Johnny is in. I'm not sure if he's down for one night or two, but said he'd for sure come down. Depending on how his running goes over the next few wks, he said he might run the 10K.

Tammy

I have Shorty on board to help out with whatever needs to be done . . . if he's not working all day.  We'll have to see how that goes.

As far as food, etc., what do you guys want to do?  I am happy to do all the shopping and everyone can reimburse me or whatever.  I can get some things prepared ahead . . . .

So far I am picking up Carolyn at the airport around noon, right?  Does anybody else need a ride from the airport Saturday or back to the airport on Sunday?  Do people have a general idea of when they will be arriving in SoHum (that's Southern Humboldt for your foreigners)?

Questions, questions, questions.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

I was just popping over here to talk chatting about food and what folks want to do. Thanks for getting that topic started Leslie!

John said he's down for one night only, so the first night we'll have 7 staying and then 6 the next night. So, if I have this calculated correctly with taxes, etc. the cost for the cottage will be $44.72 per person the first night and $52.20 per person the second night.

On Saturday night, I'm good with pasta. That's a meal that I know works well for me before a race.

Other suggestions?

I'm pretty easy going about food, so whatever the suggestions are, I'm probably good with it.

I'll be arrive early/mid afternoon on Saturday and staying until check-out time on Monday, but then am in no particular hurry to dash home, so am up for any sightseeing that Carolyn might like to do that day.

Henry/Marj - are you guys staying in Miranda just those two nights and then going elsewhere in Cali while you are vacationing out here or are you staying in the area longer? and when you do arrive?

Tammy

mrrun

Henry/Marj - are you guys staying in Miranda just those two nights and then going elsewhere in Cali while you are vacationing out here or are you staying in the area longer? and when you do arrive?

We arrive by rental car to Miranda sometime Saturday and leave Monday morning.  We're omniverous and like pasta, gluten, etc.  We're actually arriving on Thursday, spending Thurs & Fri with friends in SF and Marin and Monday night with my sister in Berkeley flying out Tuesday.

This is separate from our LA trip in July (nephew's wedding) and Ohio trip end of May for GS graduation.

Mariposai

The Easy Pacer and I are very easy going with food as well.

May I suggest the following:

Saturday night: spaghetti, meat marinara sauce and plain sauce for those who don't eat meat, french bread and salad ( I would gladly cook it for everyone) Something simple.

Sunday, race day: everyone takes care of their own food.

Dinner: a big hamburger BBQ extravaganza with salad, roasted veggies, etc. I will make tabbouleh salad.

Drinks: bring your own and a little bit to share Smile

Monday breakfast: everyone on their own.

Other ideas welcome!