Masters Running

The Avenue of the Giants Race & Party thread (Read 70 times)

Mike, it is a big state, maybe it needs to be done twice?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Henrun

We'll be spending friday night in Santa Rosa.  Let us know if there is anything We should buy there for everyone

marj

usandtoto-2@msn.com

I've done California too.  So now I'll be able to say "two" instead.

Tammy, Sue and I will be leaving sometime later in the day on Wednesday and taking our time driving down from Seattle to arrive on Friday.  Just one more day of work and its vacation time.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

TammyinGP

Safe travels Mike! So you and Sue have your cottage starting Friday night?  That'll be a nice vacay for you guys!

Tammy

Mariposai

I don't know Mike. I just don't know.

Mari/Enke - you guys have a LONG drive!  when will you guys be leaving? do you have an estimated arrival time? or know when you'd be coming through Grants Pass?

We plan to depart from my mother in law's house no later than 9. We should be at the cottages no later than 3pm. We are going the direct route, which is  going on Hwy 101. That this route mean that we will miss the tamster's house?

The plan is to leave form Enkephalin's house on Friday morning and going to my mom in law's house in Eugene to spend the night. Saturday. The not Easy Pacer and I will bring our own breakfast needs and yes, I do plan to bring all my ingredients for a nice tabbouleh salad for Sunday.

We are so looking forward to our get together.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Maybe this has already been mentioned, but there is a pool that should be open after May 1st.  So bring those swimsuits!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

We plan to depart from my mother in law's house no later than 9. We should be at the cottages no later than 3pm. We are going the direct route, which is  going on Hwy 101. That this route mean that we will miss the tamster's house?

The plan is to leave form Enkephalin's house on Friday morning and going to my mom in law's house in Eugene to spend the night. Saturday. The not Easy Pacer and I will bring our own breakfast needs and yes, I do plan to bring all my ingredients for a nice tabbouleh salad for Sunday.

We are so looking forward to our get together.

If your MIL lives in Eugene, the best/quickest route to take to get down there would be to take I-5 from Eugene to Grants Pass (easy) 2 hr drive. Then take the Redwood Highway (Hwy 199) that goes through GP and heads out towards the coast. If you take this route, you will go right past my house (I'm about mile marker 9 off of the Redwood Highway).  If you were to go from Eugene and head out west to get directly to the Coast (which I think puts you in Florence area?), this is probably a more scenic drive because you are along the coast line until you get into No. Cal, but it will take longer.

Tammy

TammyinGP

Maybe this has already been mentioned, but there is a pool that should be open after May 1st.  So bring those swimsuits!!

except for the fact that it will likely be chilly. high of 66 predicted for Sunday and Monday a few showers and 65. If we were there today though, they are expecting 80!

Tammy

Posie - Tammy is right.  You will make better time going through through Grants Pass.  The OR coast is beautiful, but a much slower drive.  You would be one the road for at least another 1.5 hrs by going that way.

Marj/Henry - You will have about a 3-hr drive from Santa Rosa to Southern Humboldt.  It's beautiful drive.  Enjoy!

Shopping - I will do all the necessary shopping either Thursday or Friday.

Carolyn - You arrive at noon, right?  I will message you my phone numbers, just in case.

Shorty and I - We will both be there Saturday, then I will be coming by myself on Sunday for the race and to hang out afterward.

Grilling - Is there a grill at the cottages??  And yes, Shorty will probably be more than happy to help grill.  It'll keep him busy while he gets to know people.

Food - I'll see if I can talk him into making his now famous chocolate chip cookies.  And maybe M&M cookies, too!  He also made some from scratch brownies . . . I better see what he's willing to do before I start volunteering him! 

Time - What time do people think they will be arriving on Saturday?  It's about an hour's drive for us, so by the time I get Carolyn then head back home to pick up food and Shorty, we'll probably just start heading down.  Carolyn - we can do a mini sightseeing on the way down.

Tammy - I will message you my email address and phone numbers, as well.

Weather - It is going to be a bit chilly as a change of showers is in the forecast for Sunday and Monday.  And since you'll be running under cover of the redwoods, you might think about some throw away long sleeves or gloves, just in case.  The forecast is for a low of 43, high of 67.

Anything else?????

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Thanks Leslie!!

Okay, I got the days mixed up. I couldn't remember if you said Saturday or Sunday for you and Shorty for dinner.

I got your message and will program in your #'s in my phone. Like you, I don't use my cell on wknds but will have it on during my travels. Although I'm thinking reception might be spotty down there anyways.

I'll type up a complete list (including quantities of things needed) by tomorrow and email them to you. Thanks again for doing that.

I noted from the cottage website that it said we had a grill. They also have all dishes/cookware/utensils. microwave, coffee maker, etc.  but just no basic staples like seasonings, oil, etc.  So, I'll bring those items.

Tammy

Tammy - Why don't you let me bring seasonings, oil, etc.  There's no reason for any of you to haul that kind of stuff down here, with everything else you're bringing.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

I'm starting to get excited about this trip!  Looks like a lot of fun.  Thank you Tammy and Leslie for doing all the planning and shopping!  I feel like a freeloader, just showing up to enjoy the race and party!   I'll volunteer to do the dishes, okay? 

I think it's funny that you guys think 60's is chilly!  Sounds toasty to me. We got  more snow last night.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

sounds good Leslie. I was just planning on a variety of seasonings for burgers/chicken. some olive oil. for pasta night. salt/pepper.  If I think of others I'll put those on the list I email you. thx

Tammy

I think it's funny that you guys think 60's is chilly!  Sounds toasty to me. We got  more snow last night.

We're wimps.    Shorty and I saw on the news you guys got more snow.  Bummer.

Tammy - We have just about everything under the sun re seasonings.  I'll bring everything but the kitchen sink.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

I'm starting to get excited about this trip!  Looks like a lot of fun.  Thank you Tammy and Leslie for doing all the planning and shopping!  I feel like a freeloader, just showing up to enjoy the race and party!   I'll volunteer to do the dishes, okay? 

considering we should be in the 90's Wed and Thurs and then 'cooling' off to 80's by Friday, yes - the 60's are chilly!!

I can see it now, Carolyn will be basking in her bathing suit while the rest of us are layered up.

Tammy