Masters Running

Summertime Daily, 6.21.17 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Welcome to the 1st day of summer this year. I always greet this day with mixed feelings: I generally like summer weather, but this also means that the sun will start to rise a minute later each day, and it won't be all that long before I'm working out in the dark again.

Tuesday’s workouts:
    Stumpy (3.1 damp miles at 70°Wink
    RunnkerKSA (4.1 cool, dry morning miles, plus 2.2 evening news TM miles)
    Mariposai (morning miles in 75° temps with a high dew point)
    Jlynne (2+ morning miles in IRC)
    Catwhoorg (5 miles with bike ride canceled because of rain)
    Tomwhite (30 min HH (heavy hands) in Hokas on the soccer fields + 40 min pool run with belt)
    PBJ (7 miles planned, with spinnerooni)
    Twocat (8 mile with training partner)
    Holly (6.8 morning miles in 60-ish temps)
    Pfriese (6 S&E morning Sammamish misty miles)
    Evanflein (5.8 midday pre-thunderstorm muggy GA miles)
    Spacityrunner (3.1 warm sunset miles along the Balboa spillway)

Looks like Tomwhite has a bead on the reward for Mike, horse and all…

I hope the board meeting went well, Mariposai. Yes, they can be tough.

Welcome back, Tramps! Sounds like you had a great vacation, even if you didn’t gain weight.

So sorry your coworker’s son, PBJ. Has to be unbelievably tough.

Congrats on your allergy to gardening, Twocat. Sorry about your RP’s eye infection.

Congrats on a successful WR Relay, Fatozzig and Pfriese. And congrats on taking some time to recover.

I’m glad you survived the thunderstorms, Evanflein.

How much do you love fish, Tet?

Good luck with your colonoscopy (yeah, not much fun) results, and with Cindy, Spacityrunner.

I have a busy and varied day today with an early morning meeting, and then a pick-up of some cut plywood pieces from a CNC shop that I'll drop at a fabricator who makes some of our products. Who says this isn't a hands-on business?

5.6 moderately quick (because I got up 15 minutes late) RW miles this morning in nice and relatively dry 61° temps.

Have a greta first day of Summer!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Welcome to summer, all.    3.1 miles done.  2.2 more on the treadmill after work.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Henrun

35 minute walk in sunny, 66 temp. Heading out on our 2 week road trip after my root canal is completed this morning. A few weeks ago I had a successful, non symptomatic colonoscopy and last week had our car checked out. Everything appears to be in good running order🚗.

Happy summer😎.

Tramps

Thanks, Jay. I brace myself for the summer H&H and count the days until Fall.  Just a New Englander in a foreign land, I guess.

((PBJ))--those are always tough to hear about and go through.

Spacity--Yup, sure do, especially with a family history of colon cancer (my father).  In fact, I've got one coming up in a couple of weeks. Yippee.

Henry--Ha! You too, eh? (see Spacity).  Good luck with the root canal.

Mike--can you turn yourself in and collect the reward yourself?  You'll need some money for the prison commissary.

Did my usual round of exercises, including this sort of hip-strengthening "walking sideways" thing, which I find tough.

Then, to begin my return to running, I did a 20 minute 3:1 walk-run (3 minutes walk, 1 run x 5). Felt a little awkward, of course, but otherwise okay. Baby steps. Funny thing is that my running pace for the last 4 sessions was exactly 7:42; I couldn't do that again if I tried.

Be safe. Be kind.

This is gonna be quick - cut and pasted from another post:

About an hour of core/ST last night, and I'm very happy to report that all the work I'm doing to strengthen my glutes, hammies, etc., is paying off with regard to the hamstrings healing.  Yay!  So my pain mgt doc on Monday regarding the bursa.  Told I hadn't really seen any improvement since the shot, BUT I did a LOT of sitting over the previous 4 days.  He said to give it another 3+ weeks, watch the sitting, and we'll see how things are.

I've found out that I absolutely can't sit on anything that even hints at being hard or the bursa is almost instantly irritated, so watching the sitting is a must.

I'm volunteering again at Western States this coming weekend.  Woot woot!  It's looking to be in triple digits, heat-wise.  Boooo!!  Pray for the runners.  It's going to be very difficult, especially in the canyons.

Okay - Off to get some work done.  Later, peeps ~~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Weather is going to be so brutal for the WS runners. I bet you are glad you are at the river crossing so you can at least stand in water. 

I got up early to go meet up with the MS/HS summer training camp kids for an early morning run since that's the only time of day (or 8 pm at night!) that it's semi-comfortable. Well, today was doing different drills on the tennis courts and not really running. Here I thought I'd be getting in about a 5 mile run before work but I got nothing. good to see some of our XC runners at the MS level though taking part in the training.  Since I haven't run for 2 days now, guess I'm stuck with getting in some miles after work so I don't lose pace on that dang bunny that I started to catch up to with my extra relay mileage last week.

Tammy

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 insanely muggy miles at lunchtime.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

pfriese

6 miles in beautiful PNW weather this morning. I'll try to get another run tomorrow in this weather before heading home to Oklahoma to run in h&h for the rest of the summer.

Paul

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Thanks for the kind words yesterday.  You should never have to bury your child.  We will do what we can to give Peter support.

Henry - sounds like you went through emissions testing a couple different ways.  They do both use a probe.

Hey Spacity - prepare to hunker down, and hope for a glancing blow.

Tramps - that's pretty fast for a return to running.  I'm currently at about an 8:30 pace.  Don't push it too fast too soon.

Went to the gym for lunch today, and they were swapping out all their signs.  It seems their 10 year agreement with Gold's expired yesterday at midnight.  They are changing to "Club Fitness"  Apparently they were the last Gold's Gym in Connecticut.

My "lunch" included some fizzy lifting, and 7 miles on the TM while watching Hellboy.  At least they can keep their cardio cinema.

...yeah, 90's here too

and

usual humidity

30-min HH in hokas, at soccer fields

and

30-min PoolRun with belt

may need a cut-back day tomorrow

===============

......ps............did anybody actually get the Dollar Amount for bringing in MadDog mikeE??

no reason

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I think we all know pretty much all of this, but still seems appropriate at the start of a heat wave.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2017/06/running_in_the_heat_is_dangerous_but_the_right_training_can_prepare_you.html

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Tramps - that's pretty fast for a return to running.  I'm currently at about an 8:30 pace.  Don't push it too fast too soon.

Not to worry.  Those were 1 minute run segments, not miles.

But thanks for the cautionary note.

Be safe. Be kind.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Went out hard on the bike trying to get as much in as possible before the rain came.

Rain didn't come.

16 miles with my fastest average speed for a training ride

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

flats

turtle runner eximious

7.02 miles while wearing SPF 30. The first mile was 90 seconds slower than normal, the second mile was 30 slower than normal. Eventually, near the end, I got back to normal. Guess it takes me a while to warm up. Lesson learned on tonight's run, ignore the Garmin for the first 2 miles.

Michael

evanflein

Yeah, careful on the re-entry there, Tramps (and PBJ, and Leslie). Nothing worse than a big setback when you're raring to go!

Got out for a pretty good run today at mid-day, and even though I have a mile race tomorrow night, I couldn't seem to not do some speedy stuff. Not a true tempo run (shouldn't those be at least an hour?) but three miles at 8 or sub-8 pace works for me, 6.6 miles total. Beautiful day out today and it looks like we're free of those afternoon thunderstorms for the next few days. A little breezy out there, but I'll take it!