Masters Running

Beautiful Thursday Runs (Read 491 times)

Good morning everyone!! What a gorgeous day. 45 minutes of running this morning. 15ez, 15 at 5K pace then 15 ez. My butt is killing me from doing crazy hills on Tuesday. I can tell I am out of practice with trail running. Have a great day everyone Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

45 minutes of running for me too. But obviously much slower than whatever Tall was able to run. I ran 5 miles for a 9 minute/mile pace. I tried a couple of striders to see what kind of turnover I could muster. I had nuthin'. Speed work is needed bigtime ... Warm and Super humid. I was still sweating 45 minutes after the run - after a shower even. Just the way I like it ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Dave59

So Tall, 15 minutes at 5k pace for you would basically be a whole 5k?! I went out for 3 junk miles this morning. Not that any of you here would know this, but if you never run consecutive days, the bar graph on the running log stretches across 2 days and I hate the way it looks. So I ran a few miles today so my graph would have normal size bars. Roll eyes Junk miles aside, it did feel good to get out in the morning and get everything loosened up, warmed up, and moving.

Greetings all, Early morning run with all 4 Js—nice relaxed pace for 10 miles at 5:00 AM so everyone could get to work and on with the day. Dr. J’s son had surgery earlier this week (continued repair of a cleft palate as he grows). He is 9 years-old and her running warrior son who I have mentioned from time to time. They had to do a bone graft as well as a skin graft. He came through well, but no running or solid food for awhile---what a trooper. He didn’t want to call the nurse on his first night in the hospital because he didn’t want to wake her up! We all wanted to run together today to support Dr. J and exhale with relief collectively. 57F and low humidity---nice run and great friendship on the go. Home in time to see the kiddo off---last day of school is June 23. Erika, good luck with the mile race! I am doing a mile race on 6/22---a road course and as a fundraiser for the high school cross-country team. It’s been a LONG time since I have run a mile at all out pell-mell speed. I would love to break 6:00, but that’s a smokin’ dope goal. Lamerunner, I work with my cross-country and track coach from college. She helps me plan my training schedules and gives me a range of options----more intense through maxed out on time plans. She lives in Wisconsin and our contact is mostly through e-mail and phone calls. I maintain a much more detailed log on Training Peaks that she views. I asked her for help a few years ago as I wanted to get more serious again. I am very lucky, since she agreed as a friend with no fee. Thanks for the kind words yesterday. Time to refill the coffee cup and greet my desk! CNYrunner/Karin
            Not that any of you here would know this, but if you never run consecutive days, the bar graph on the running log stretches across 2 days and I hate the way it looks. So I ran a few miles today so my graph would have normal size bars. Roll eyes
            I'm with you on the bar graph, Dave. I always wondered why it did that.....thanks.
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Morning! A very sluggish 4 miles this morning with my neighbor. I knew I didn't have the energy to take Brinkley along, so I had to literally drag him back up to the bedroom before leaving. Very sleepless night. If my neighbor hadn't been planning on me, I'd probably have stayed in bed. 4 miles - 10:10 avg. page - higher than normal heart rate. Ugh. Went to the dermatologist yesterday afternoon for a routine treatment. I've had a spot on the side of my nose, right where eye glasses tend to rest and when he saw it his exact words were "we have to biopsy that". I know it is not right - probably cancerous as it never, ever heals totally. That along with a couple of late night phone calls kept me awake. Our phone lines are not working right - so we could not hear the person on the other end. Lots to think about when I should be sleeping. Maybe I'll take a nap at work - not much else to do. Your friend's son CNY does sound like a great trooper! Hope it all works out well for him. G-nite!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good morning Boomers. 7.3 miles this morning at a 9:28 pace, trying to burn off some pre-wedding stress. Followed that up with 5 minutes jumping rope on my driveway (the people driving by looked at me like I was nuts) and some crunchies. Running a 10K on Saturday before the wedding with a bunch of family - should be fun if the weather holds. ((( Mary ))) Sleepless nights are awful. And it seems like when you wake up after sleeping for a few hours, your mind kicks into overdrive and you start thinking about all the things you have to do the next day. Good luck with your dermatology appointment - we'll say prayers that the "bump" turns out to be nothing serious. Tall - sounds like your weather has turned around. Yeah, you're out of shape like I'm in shape! I wish I could run as fast as you just once. Nice runs Breger and Dave. Dave - at least your graph has bars on it! Know what you mean about junk miles, though. I seem to have a lot of those lately. CNY Runner - I always enjoy your runs with "the J's" and wish I had some good friends to run with every day. The solitude is nice, but it would be great to have some company on early morning runs once in a while. Your schools get out really late compared to the midwest. The high school where I work has been out for two weeks now. Off to run errands for my future daughter-in-law and get some food for family staying with us this weekend. Enjoy your runs, everyone. Jeanne

Hill Runner

Morning all, Gorgeous day here also, albeit a little humid. 10.13 miles of hills @ 9:16 pace, HR unknown because I ditched my HR strap about a week ago. Good running to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                  Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                  Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good morning! I like striders, Breeger. Hope you enjoy them during your easy runs. Dave.. runs to make the graph look good.. sounds good to me Smile (BTW: no miles are junk miles) Ran for an hour and covered about 7 miles, slower out, faster back. What really picked up my pace for the second half was running within one foot of a skunk who then turned quickly towards me (tail still down) as I did my strider and blazed away from him Smile That rush made my pace stay higher. I did my strides up the rolling hills. 32 min out and 28 minutes back. Very pretty run in a WV valley. Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! {{{Mary}}} Jeanne – good luck with your big weekend. Maybe you could post a photo of the happy couple? Perch - I'm betting you were flying on that strider... Big grin 6.6 recovery-paced miles for me today (ave 10:23) in 68 degrees, followed by 60 lunges on each leg. I’m having a little nagging right-knee pain, but it seems fairly mild, like a twingy muscle more than a joint thing, so I’m not too concerned yet. Rest day tomorrow might put it right. I finally finished painting the caramel color on the walls of my kitchen last night. Tonight I’ll remove the cabinet doors and begin sanding. I’m hoping I can get them painted before the weekend is done. Happy Thursday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Planned day off. I would like to run for two hours on Sunday, my first two-hour run, so for me that means taking today or tomorrow off. 6 tomorrow and 5.5 on Saturday will give me my final 35 mile week. Next week I get to join the real runners at 40 mpw. I was just telling the Saint that my calendar shows almost no work in July, so I will be pretty much of a pest to her this summer, hanging around the house. We got a laugh yesterday over the advice to the mother of the groom, "Show up, shut up, wear beige." The Saint would be good at showing up and wearing beige. Spareribs
                        dg.

good morning Smile Perch continues his wildlife adventures. dog #1 yesterday would have made me jump out of my skin. but loved cubby bear (is that right? no time to look). Jeanne, I hope all goes well Saturday. quite a day you have planned. Oh Mary, I hope it's nothing serious too!! I hope the rest of today goes better for you. and that you get that nap... CNY, when I read of your nice relaxed pace for you 10 miles, well, let's just say today I'd rather not know what that is! Wink. Prolly faster than my zoomiest, which is totally fine but once in a while I like the land of delusion. (saw a card recently which said "I don't live in denial. I'm just visiting." Big grin) hugs to all assorted hurting parts. PDR, I was glad to see you posting yesterday. had been hoping nothing was wrong. I tried a few striders for the first time (since injury) this morning, after a mile warmup. have kind of done it before but didn't keep track. I think it will work to do them this way, I'm so glad because I like them too, Perch. just did 3 & they weren't quite long enough but it was a start. 5:05 overall, run was 3.92. average pace 10:36, max 7:08. ahr 166-ish, max was 185. vista, sending very best wishes for you & your brother. have a great day, everybody.
                            .....ribbs........notice you left out ''shutting up''... ....good move///// ======== .....40min streetrun......88-degrees .............good running guys or for those of you on drugs goo drunningg uys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Good morning, everyone. I almost had to run on the treadmill this morning, as the hotel didn't have wireless working when I woke up at 3:50am Angry . I needed to use the internet to look for a running route, as I hadn't planned well yesterday, and this hotel doesn't have a concierge. Luckily, just before I was about to head out, the wireless came back so I was able to run outside. I had planned 10 miles with 3@tempo, but I had poor running strategy. I wanted to wait near the end to do the 3 and by that time I just didn't feel like it. So I didn't. Workout: 9.1 miles, 8:19/mi, AHR 154 Overall: 10.1 miles, 1:24 Have a great day today! Headed home tomorrow -- woohoo!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Morning, all! Tall - you are right about gorgeous day - thanks for starting us off! SR - I just read yesterday's daily - I hate starting off the morning crying. Dave - that has to be the most creative reason I've seen for junk miles - I'll keep it in mind for future use. CNY - your runs are so inspiring. I'll never be in your league, but you make me want to try harder. {{{Mary}} - thanks for the puppy pictures yesterday - they are getting curly!! Jeanne - a 10k before the wedding, huh - now that is dedicated running! Perch - glad you didn't get christened by the skunk! 7 miles this morning - 5 on the track at 9:36 and then another 2 jogging with Jesse for an overall average pace of 9:49. Another younger Boomer joined me on the track as I was finishing my first mile. First he stretched in my lane (one of my pet peeves - why do people insist on stretching in lanes designed for movement???). He finished stretching and started to run in my lane just as i was about to pass him for the second time. I slowed down and dogged him for a bit thinking he would be picking up the pace. When he didn't, I passed him. About a mile later I heard him breathing like a locomotive behind me - he had moved into lane 1 (I was in lane 8) and was working hard to pass me. I was doing an easy run, so i didn't bother to speed up. He stopped to walk after 2 miles, and when I passed him he complimented me on my pace and said it was killing him to keep up with me. That made my morning. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous