Masters Running

Sunless Sunday, 6.5.16 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Nice 15+ mi in the heat, Aamos. How's DH doing with the bike request?

Twocat, maybe the mindset is the difference between the Jogger's Club and a running club. I have a feeling that if members of a running club set out to do intervals, intervals would be done.

Nice running up in the dewpoints, Dave. Being happy is better than Botox - and there are no needles involved!

Maybe your body, and that bobcat, are trying to tell you something, Enke. Still, a nice trail 12er for you.

Good way to keep the boss at bay, Holly. It is a vacation, after all!

I hope that you and EP get some cooling for your 10er today, Mariposai.

DW and I got everything on our list checked off yesterday. And we enjoyed the Ed Gerhard guitar concert in his hometown Grange Hall last night. Where else would you hear a Grammy-winning musician say "If I don't see you at my next concert, maybe I'll see you at the Dump."

We didn't get home till after 11 last night, so I slept in till about 5:45, and then went out for an easy RW 5K. It was cool and foggy and misty (ahead of today's promised rain) and I was still a bit achy because I never stretched after yesterday's workout (or gardening), so easy and short was all I had this morning. But it was good to be out there, and I did stretch well after I got back, so life is good.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

the world is coming to an end - I was on the road before Jay at 5 am and ran a very slow 10 miler.  didn't see any runners until about 6:30 - guess they all also slept in - I did miss the rain, altho the few sprinkles I received cooled me off.

Happy Sunday all!

marj

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Sunny here!  Folks saying it felt H&H but since I went out with them at 6 am, it seemed lots easier to me than yesterday.  Maybe there is something to heat training--not that I killed it or anything!  Just 14 with only 1 bridge RT.

DH did mention he went to the cycle shop.  "That's nice," I replied.

We may have some significant rain coming at us tomorrow and the next day.

well, the Dump is a significant place in New England, and it's not just for humans!

Patrick and Rosie

Got my sox on and am ready for the afternoon!  Happy Sundays,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

wildchild

Carolyn

Yesterday I volunteered for late shift at  the finish line of a 50k/50 mile race, from 4-9 pm.  It's the race I dropped from, because of my injury.  It was fun to see a few friends cross the finish line, but I'm glad I decided not to run, because in addition to being undertrained, I've come down with some kind of respiratory illness, with a full-sounding cough.  I feel fine other than the cough, though.

Today I plan to get out on the trails for some slow gentle miles, to see if my lungs still work!

Happy trails, masters!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

I hear ya on the cough, Carolyn. I started coming down with the scratchy throat thing on the flight home from Chicago on Sunday, and it developed into a full-blown chest cold. I took Wednesday off work because of it, something I haven't done in (many) years. Running seems to aggravate it, and given that and the fact that I'm so behind on my garden work, I spent all day yesterday working on garden stuff. I got all the potatoes in, the beets are planted and the carrot row is ready for seeding today. I'll try to finish a lot of it today. But... I did not run yesterday and last night was the best night's sleep I got all week. Only woke up maybe three times to cough and hack.

Today is kind of cloudy so cooler. I'm not sure what I'll run today. Can't say "just 14" like Aamos cuz if I do 14 it'll be pretty amazing. My back is sore after yesterday's garden work, so if I get 10 miles in I'll be happy. Looking like my lowest mileage week of the year, but hey, life happens, right?

wildchild good for you for having the good sense to not race and to then volunteer to help others.

mrrun I told you it was not the real coastwalker! I told you!

coastwalker or who or whatever you are, funny about the name explaining why they did not do any of the intervals they said they would. I will have to mention that next time I go to run with them. The air is like soup here in SW CT. At least New England is supposed to get better after this storm passes through.

Dave59 funny about your forehead. Told my DW and we decided you, like us, are just suffering from a standard case of O.L.D. 

enkephalin must be neat to see a bobcat on a trail!

Mariposai  are you sure there are no more morels to collect? As long as you are running 10 miles, maybe run somewhere morels might be? You know, just in case.

No run for me today. Just an hour on the elliptical. It has been a loooong time since I used that machine. I typically catch up on recorded shows when I use it. I finished the Boston Marathon today. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Looking like my lowest mileage week of the year, but hey, life happens, right?

Yup - sometimes that's for the best.

My own week is pretty darn light as well.  The 3 miles I did Friday morning felt fine, but my knee ached all day after.  We did add nearly 6 miles of hiking to that, which may have added to it, but really, it felt like the 2.5 hour drive was the most painful thing.

My MIL isn't nearly as able as we thought she would be - she was simply not able to do stairs, due to a weak ankle, substantial weight gain in the last couple of years, and just being completely out of shape.  She is 75, but has always worked out (until the last couple of years) and been fairly robust, so this surprised all of us (her included).  The hiking trails are only about .2 miles long, but she was only able to manage one of them, the flat, handicapped trail to Ash Cave.  She and DH sat in the shade while the kids and I walked to a couple of others, but we passed on the rest of the sights.  However, we had rented a lovely house in the wooded hills, and had a fine time with the dogs and the Jacuzzi and just visiting with her.

No run for me again today.  I will take tomorrow off as well, and try again on Tuesday.  I really want to be smart and let this heal, as I don't want a nagging issue all summer. We will see how long my patience lasts.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike, I hope you get healed soon.  wild, neat that you volunteered at the race.  Bummer about the respiratory issues though.  Holly, I'm glad to hear you had a good visit.  I hope the light activity helps you.

Nice long runs for Aamos, enke, and marj.  Good job on the speedwork for Twocat.

This morning, it was in the low 60s and there was some wind.  I did 5 miles at an 11:12 pace.  It was hard the whole way but I was pleasantly surprised at the end when I saw my pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Dave59

I'm taking the day off from running. I did some push-ups and core stuff this morning and some back stretches. Wish I could stay consistent on the core stuff long enough to do me some good.

Hey Holly, did you miss your usual dam race this year?  Saw other posts on Facebook about Another Dam 50k and wondered if that is the one you've been to multiple times.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey Holly, did you miss your usual dam race this year?  Saw other posts on Facebook about Another Dam 50k and wondered if that is the one you've been to multiple times.

Well, that would be a dam shame...

Yeah...something is going on..."Jay" sleeping until 5:45?  How stupid does this guy think we are?

The only good thing about "Jay" not being the real Jay is the world is not coming to an end...however...if it really is the real Jay...we might be in some trouble.  Now, I'm not sure what I should hope for.

Amy--stop being so mean to your DH!  That poor guy.

That is very cool of you wild.  If I had to miss a race because of injury, I couldn't bear to be there and watch everybody run a race I was suppose to be in.  You're a whole lot nicer than me...but we all knew that already.

Coughing--sore back--no sleep--yep, Erika--a 10 miler is just the thing you need.

That's too bad about your MIL, Holly.  It sounds like you're doing the right thing, though, by taking it easy.

Nice 5 miler Tom!  When is your race this month?

Dave--you remind me of that old poem...or saying...or whatever it is...

As I was sitting, sad and lonely...

A voice came to me, from out of the blue saying,

"Cheer up, things could be worse."

So, I cheered up...

And, sure enough, things got worse.

So, for the last couple of days, I've been completing some on-line training and testing the state requires for all coaches to take.  I was really dreading doing it because I have never been a very good student and I didn't do real well in school.  It's amazing, though, how studying something you really enjoy doing, makes such a difference.  I was completely into every lesson and, when I was done, I was wishing there were more classes to take.  Although--I have to admit--it's kind of sad when most of it wasn't even about "coaching" but rather on recognizing and dealing with harassment and other social issues our kids are dealing with, today.

Okay--I'd better go up and see what Debbie wants me to do for the rest of the day.  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I think leslie's seen a mountain lion and erika probably a lynx or two

and now a bobcat.  Where's three-cat when we need one.

closing in on ninety degrees so too hot for any running,

unless you're someone training for it.

so did some cycling in the low seventies,

. . . just like me.

ps amy (and Mr. BE too, maybe): my new 750 lumen light on to full brightness with the risen sun behind me jerked a blinded pedestrian back into her side of the bike path and a rear rider in a five-person peleton jerked back into line too when he thought it would be a good time to pull out to pass.  He hollered out, "Sorry, . . . good light man.".  I never thought of using lights much in the daytime but, with everyone's pupils tightened down for seeing in the sun, a bright bike light makes real cyclists out of otherwise indistinguishable, fast moving, forms in-and-out shadows of trees on the bike path, even visible into a backlit, just-risen sun.  

MikeE - good luck on your coach test. 

Not to often when you get to this stage

to be taking on a test or something

you're not altogether sure you can do.  

However, you probably could have been teaching the course.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Yup - the timing this year was too soon after Green Bay, and given my knee pain I am just as glad.  I am signed up for the Dawg Gone LR 50K on 6/25/16 as a replacement.  This one is at Caesar Creek SP, about 45 minutes away, and I have never done it, so it should be fun.  Well, as fun as a hilly 50K in the hot and humid summertime can be....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Nice summary, MIke! If Jay really does disappear, maybe you could be the backup. Good work on the coaching tests, and yes it usually is all about how to deal with the risks these kids find themselves in rather than the actual coaching.

So the weather just got progressively worse today with wind and rain, so overcast it felt dark at mid-day. Bleh. When it looked like it was lightening up, I headed out for my run. Decided to run down to DH's office so I didn't have to deal with the hill on the way back. It was just sprinkling when I left, but the wind picked up again and it was a head wind the whole way. And yeah, the rain picked up, too. It was raining hard by mile 4 or so and not letting up. Rats! I'm not a fan of running in the rain although light rain is ok. This was a deluge! Finally got to DH's office and I was totally soaked. Glad he brought a change of warm clothes. 9.1 miles, 8:28 avg pace, and probably 49° or less for the entire run.

Erika those cool temps and rain I'd love right now.  Got up to 92 today here, my goodness, it's only June 5th!  I wanted so badly to do 40 miles this week, but after yesterday's painful with too much walking 12 miler, I knew I should rest.  Then I saw the RA training log does moving windows totaling your mileage over the 7 days - and for that I had over 40 miles! already!  So in a way, I had met my goal without realizing it. I had only been averaging 20 miles a week for about the past 4 or 5 weeks, so jumping to 40 was kind of a lark, and it smacked me down.  Glad I tried it though, to find my limit.

So rest day today, and my body feels so much more ready to go back into battle.  MBE was here and we went for a 12 mile ride in the hot sun, pre noon but it was still too sunny for me.  A stop for a French pastry and coffee midway (he has refined tastes that fellow).  I was surprised I blew past him going up the short steep hills.  I heard some complaints about how tired his legs were......geesh!

Tet, MBE also has a high lumen light, it's blinding and at night he gets yelled at by other cyclists and joggers.  But during the day....it really helps.  I put my lower lumen light on blinking mode often during the day, as on-coming traffic suddenly wanting to turn left will not see me coming towards them until the last minute.  Blink away!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

SteveP

I've read each post. Lots of smiles.

Saturday Tag, Marley and I went to Frankfort with DW and DD#3. We all went to a nursery. I left a little lighter in the wallet. DW and DD#3 stayed while the dogs and I hit the trails.

4 miles for the day with a pause for those with paws and myself to play in Lake MI. The water is still pretty brisk though refreshing.

SteveP