Masters Running

The Tuesday Daily, 3.28.17 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Monday’s momentous workouts:
    C-R (4.5 lunchtime German trail-exploring miles)
    Dave (4.59 foggy miles at the park with open gates)
    RunnerKSA (2.6 pre-work miles back home in TN)
    Holly (1100 pool yards and 20 min. weights & core)
    Deeze (last 2.2 TM miles for a while)
    Catwhoorg (5 recovery-paces, sweaty, humid miles)
    dg (5 morning miles with slopage)
    Tramps (6 Springtime morning road miles)
    Pfriese (6 easy, ‘round town recovery miles, feeling great)
    Fatozzig (30 min, core & upper ST)
    Tomwhite (50 min on Greenway, working on technique)
    Tet (5 miles, not wet at the start)
    BerthaSlayer (On orders, 1 streak-preserving mile)
    Mike (4X1.5 with .5 between, hitting under 10:00 for each segment)
    StarrRuns (4.7 mile quick lake loop)
    Mariposai (rest day 3 mile walk)

Sounds like you’re having a great time running/exploring on your trip, C-R.

So, when the gates open, it’s officially Spring, Dave?

Welcome home, RunnerKSA.

Holly, what good is a bathroom that is never open when you need it? The CT highway rest stops now close between 3:30pm and 8:30am - go figure?

Deeze, I’m sorry for the diagnosis and recovery plan, but now at least you know what the issue is. And at least you can swim, bike, yoga, etc., so you don’t have to just sit and be miserable. And every day will be a little better than the one before, so try to B positive. And don’t give up on that relay yet either…

dg., I would have smiled!

Congrats to Tribee on 2nd AG in her sprint-tri. And good luck moving up to the Olly. Sounds like a great weekend all around, Tramps.

Fatozzig, I guess someone has to be the Bathroom Queen. Congrats on 4 years of volunteering at the race. About the nose thing - that’s why I never look in a mirror…

I always like your perspective on things, Tet.

Good job of listening to the coach, BerthaSlayer.

Not ever a loser, Mike. Nice workout, even though (or maybe because) you had to work for it.

Derek sounds like a fun guy, StarrRuns!

Today we’re getting a new phone system installed in our office. That should be interesting. I’m expecting all kinds of unanticipated problems, and hoping for a smooth transition.

As a couple of you saw on the Intrepid Race page, I've signed up for the Millinocket Maine Half in December. If you remember, this is the race (along with a full marathon) where there is no entry fee, but racers are asked to patronize as many local businesses as they can to help prop up the local economy. So far, over 1,900 people are signed up for this year's races, and I had to go 40 miles away to find available lodging - this is rural Maine, so there are not a lot of choices on the best of days. I'm looking forward to a chilly but amazing race.

I had a wicked-poor night’s sleep last night, so I stayed in this morning and tried to get a few more winks, and then did some core and UB work. It wasn't my plan, but it is what it is.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Morning' Jay and everyone who follows.

I had forgotten about Millinocket.  Given how I like cold races, I really should think about this.  Sounds like demand may be exceeding capacity, though. (1000+ runners in a town of 4500.)  Maybe winter camping in Baxter?  That could be fun.

Anyhow...nearly 6 wet miles this morning. Started out dry, then sprinkles, then BAM!  Downpour.  Actually felt nice given it was warm and so humid.

BTW, this was my reading this past weekend:

Works well as a training plan, too.

Be safe. Be kind.

mrrun

Hi Jay, Tramps, and all posters and lurkers1

almost 4 hilly, healing miles in high 30's - felt good

off topic-PSA-downer

theconversationproject.org  it's an organization that helps you discuss end of life issues with your family, friends, whoever would be making that decision for you. please don't ask your loved ones to make this decision without knowing your wishes.  it's not fair to them.  background: my ex-BIL, 71, was biking and had a sudden heart attack.  too much time had passed by the time he was found and his life will end today.  his family, children and brothers, are unified in this decision, but it would have been easier if they had known his wishes and not have had to decide.  PSA ended

Smell the roses, the sun and the rain and hug your loved ones!

marj

Henrun

I second Marj's announcement.

While she was hitting the hills I walked/ran another flat3.1. My Ortho suggested I alternate intense workouts with easy days and I'll try to comply.

Just heard that a former president of our 65+ club has been diagnosed with dementia. Aging can be tough. More reason to smell the roses. Enjoy the day.

I'm sorry about your ex-BIL, Marj.  It's a tough one.

3.2 miles before work.  Getting light just a little bit earlier!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 sweaty muggy miles.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Marathon Maniac #957

Yay for Tribee!!

{{{Deez}}} but at least you have other options for exercise to keep you somewhat busy.

Marj - as someone who works in an estate planning law firm, I am a big proponent of getting your living wills, POAs, and Last Wills done.  Our culture seems to have a real problem facing the thought of death.

I saw a wonderful movie this weekend - What  We Did on Our Holiday, with David Tennant and Rosamond Pike - just hilarious and poignant at the same time.  I could watch it again tonight and I don't say that about many movies.

6.3 miles for me this morning in 55 degrees of mizzle, but no wind.  With DD on spring break, I don't have to drive her to school, so I get a little more time to run.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

pfriese

Thanks for the daily start & summations coastwalker. Sorry about you ex-bil mrrun & thanks for the PSA. You're doing great Henrun & I did enjoy the smell of wild sandplum blossoms on this morning's run. I am liking the longer days too RunnerKSA. Nice 11 mile run for me this morning on the river trail. Beautiful day but expecting storms later.

Paul

Plan A was to leave work early and do my weekly long run this afternoon, 19 miles. But it is raining and rule #1 in the book means no running outside. The thought of trying to do 19 on a TM is too much to bear. Now I need a plan B. I am torn. I could try the same thing tomorrow. Leave early and run in the afternoon. The problem is that I have a guest speaker in my class tomorrow and among other tasks I have to take him to lunch with some students. That means running in the late afternoon at the earliest. Or I can wait for the weekend. But there is a HM this coming Sunday I would like to run. Decisions, decisions.

Regarding the PSA from mrrun. Having an end-of-life directive is a really good idea. I have a will but no end-of-life directive. I really should have both.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

. Or I can wait for the weekend. But there is a HM this coming Sunday I would like to run. Decisions, decisions.

just keep going for another 6 miles and you';ll be all set.

Little behing on posting and Jay can ignore any of these that he likes.  Saturday was 3.2 at half pace, which I managed to pull off.  Sunday was supposed to be 8 easy, but I lacked enough ambiition to get up and go out before DW and I went up to ME to visit a couple of sugar houses.  3+ hours of driving along with 1-1/2 hours waiting in line for pancakes (they were really good with fresh maple syrup) made the afternoon run a BIT difficult.  Made it through 6.1 miles.  This morning I think I am starting to feel the effects of the crud thats going around work and ended up with 3.1 very slow and unhappy miles.  Tomorrow is supposed to be 6 at pace.  I'm thinking it's NOT looking promising.

Deez--sorry to hear about the diagnosis.  It's tough, but be a good patient.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

Hi All,

been feeling under the weather for the last several days, so haven't run (even took a whole wknd off from running) and I'm not 100% today, but will get in some sort of mileage. 

my problem is not so much the thought of my life ending, but my problem is procrastination. I have absolutely nothing lined up should I die. no will, no POA, nada. My husband wouldn't even know how to access our accounts on line, what bills I pay, etc. I take care of 100% of that.   I better get around to writing all this stuff done. some day.

Tammy

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

my problem is not so much the thought of my life ending, but my problem is procrastination. I have absolutely nothing lined up should I die. no will, no POA, nada. My husband wouldn't even know how to access our accounts on line, what bills I pay, etc. I take care of 100% of that.   I better get around to writing all this stuff done. some day.

My only hope is to go first--DW does all that for us, too.  At least she know where all my life insurance is.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

My only hope is to go first--DW does all that for us, too.  At least she know where all my life insurance is.

That's what my mom used to say, looking at the shelves and shelves of my dad's books, journals, periodicals, papers, etc. The thing that took them the longest time when they moved out of the house was boxing up all my dad's stuff, especially since he'd come along and unpack some of it just to look through it again.

We have a will, but I think it still refers to who takes care of the kids and horses should we die. My kids are grown and on their own, and I haven't had horses for years. So I think some updates are in order. Life does keep moving along, right?

Twocat, I like Stumpy's suggestion. Just keep going.

First day in a couple weeks I think where we have overcast skies. I miss that bright sunshine! But it will get up to low 30's later today so I'll go run then for a few miles. I was exhausted yesterday so must have needed the break, although that 30 minutes of pool running felt hard enough at the time.

..it's Good to have A Plan......

we're set for that part,

my Other insurance

is when I saw they can now test for Arsenic Poisoning  even if you've been Cremated

made sure

Pickles knew it too......

========

but I digress

50 perfect flycasts in moderate wind, so getting better for the trip

and

40-min PoolRun, nb, cf, ris, paw

..........good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

It's been a long time since I made the "Jay List."  Feels good ~~

This sounds like us.  And I work in estate planning!

Jay - On the West Coast, as opposed to saying "wicked-poor night's sleep," we say "slept like crap."  Well . . . at least I do.  I get accused of using that word too much, especially the expression, "Holy crap!"  "Poo" just doesn't have the same bang and the other word isn't polite.  Although that's the one cuss word my mom would use when she was really mad.  And then my dad, just to get her goat, would say, "Yualene, I wouldn't have in my hand what you just had in your mouth."  Yeah, that didn't go over too well. We could also tell when she was really mad 'cause she'd head to the kitchen to do "something" and start banging cupboard doors closed.  You didn't want to go near the kitchen at those times, but our house was really small and you had to go through the kitchen to get anywhere besides the living room.  If you had to go to the bathroom, it was best to just hold it and hoped the storm passed fairly quickly. 

Tramps - I need to read that book.

40 min of core/ST this morning. Yesterday El Bursa didn't feel too bad, so I did a small amount of LB to see if it would flare up at all and it did. Confirms my decision to move ahead with a cortisone shot so I can start working on making the hammies happy.  My appt has been moved up to this Thursday (yay!).  I sure would like to get a 50k race in later in the season, but we'll see.

The Hub and I have decided on a trip for our 30th anniversary this year.  We're going to take 16 days and explore WA, staying in vacation rentals: Moclips for the 3 days, on Whidbey Island for 4 days, in Packwood near Mt. Rainier for 3 days, then spend 5 days getting home.  We'll be headed to territory neither of us has been to before, so it'll be nice.  The rentals on Whidbey Island - Whoochee!  We finally found a place where the daily rate was actually palatable. I talked to the owner this morning who wanted to be sure I understood the place was a cabin and not fancy at all, which is just fine.  We only need a place to have our coffee in the morning, watch the sun set in the evening, and lay our heads at night.  By staying in vacation rentals, we'll be able to make most of our own meals without living out of an ice chest (which is what we usually do), which will be a big savings.

Okay - Back to work ~~

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance