Masters Running

Irregardlessly, it's Friday, 3.28.14 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

AamosY, I believe it was '96 when there was a snowstorm on the day before Boston. Be careful what you wish for... I hope the weather gods send a little sunshine your way on Sunday.

WC, there is a lot to be said for small races, but a well-organized large race can also be a different type of amazing experience. How nice of DH to go rock climbing so you could enter tomorrow's 50K!

CNY, it seems that the kiddo has some excellent choices for college - I have a feeling he'll exceed, (ir)regardless of where he winds up.

I hope your meetings and workshops went well yesterday, Mariposai.

TW, I read in a recent WSJ article that humor helps enhance creativity, and also improves one's ability to withstand discomfort/pain. So thanks for helping to toughen up this now-more-creative crowd. Good luck with the ortho (and with Pickles) today!!

Welcome back, Ribs, and good luck to Riblet (Mr. President?) in today's elections.

Robin, I think the folks in NY finally figured out just who you are, and so, of course, they gave you a number!

Evanflein, figuring out the best time to fit a run/workout in is likely one of the biggest challenges we all have. Wow - you got freckle-popping sunshine at lunch yesterday? I know we'll get that too, someday...

Yes, Dave, the federal government is (and always has been) something else...

Glad you and Marj had a good run along the Charles, Henrun.

Welcome back Twocat! Too bad you didn't bring some of the Irish weather back with you.

Nice 8er yesterday, Holly.

Good run for you too, Tselbes.

Gee, Mike, snow is your favorite, isn't it? Glad you had fun on the TM yesterday.

I think a lot of people share your feelings about NY, Marj; they had a blast running it, but once was enough.

Nice 9er at 6, Shadow Runner.

Yeah, what Tet said...

Thanks for popping in, Troy. Be careful with that firehose.

5.1 RW miles at 4:20 this morning. The Weather Channel said 34F and cloudy. They forgot to tell me about the sleet. It was fun listening to it bounce off my jacket. And it was good prep for what looks to be soggy weather for my race on Sunday.

Speaking of racers, I'm wishing fleet feet, tailwinds, sunshine and big finish-line smiles to all of this weekend's racers.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...great title jay//....you just couldn't resist could you??

......yeah, humour is great,,

,,,,some nights

I just suddenly sit up in bed,

laugh a couple of time and go back to sleep

which is why we don't own a dog.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Singer who runs a smidge

Just popping in to say that I love the word irregardless!!  I use it whenever possible, just to watch people around me flinch! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

King of PhotoShop

Thanks Jay. We're proud of him for running, irregardless of how he does.  He can't win, but I hope he gets a respectable number of votes so he isn't embarrassed.

I meant to say yesterday Karin, that those are great choices for your son. Well thought out.  Mizzou was one of the schools Hudson's counselor recommended he look into.  Wouldn't it be cool if your son ended up with a friend who had the same name as his dog.

Felt sluggish this morning and did 1.1 mile easy jog then packed it in. I'm racing tomorrow though, irregardless of how I feel. Spareribs

A number of 2014 firsts for me today: first run at over 40F; cap instead of pullover hat; gloves instead of mittens; cotton socks instead of Smartwool; first run in rain (although thankfully a short shower). And in fact it could have been my first run this year in shorts -- I really got overheated in tights and all -- but it's hard for me to adjust to having run on a 25-degree day and two days later it's mid-40s. Anyway, 4 miles at a not-so-great pace, but feeling like Spring for the first time so far after the worst winter I've endured in my 50 years in this area.

I did do a 5K last Saturday and took 3rd in my AG, but probably only because everyone's suffering from lack of training this winter. I was worried about some hamstring tightness about halfway through -- probably due to the cold temps -- and was hoping not to repeat my "lost summer" of a few years ago, but it seems to have subsided.

Onward and upward!

(BTW, the use of "orientate" in place of the simpler "orient" kinda bugs me the way "irregardless" does others. So I looked it up and found this article that explains it: http://grammarist.com/usage/orientate/. Anyone else have this pet peeve as well?)

(Ultra-geeky P.S.: The word "orient" used to mean specifically facing East (which is why the East was sometimes referred to as the Orient). This in turn was related to the fact that ancient maps were usually drawn with East at the top -- not North as is now the practice.)

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Thanks Jay for today's recap - I've been reading and trying to catch up!!

Robin - hope Karen is feeling better real soon!!  10lbs that quick is scary!  I entered the NYC lottery too but didnt get in Sad  A friend of mine is coming home from Scotland to run as she had a guaranteed entry this year.  Would have been fun to run it with her!

CNY - big hugs my friend - your heart will be busting with pride for your son even as the tears fall when you leave him --- you did good!!

Ribs - keep us posted on the Riblet!!

Dave - love the pic of Annabelle - she is a cutie!

I was going to drive into Boston and run the finish line in 4 and back but woke up with another head cold!!  I dont know what the heck is wrong with my immune system this year!!  I eat healthy, drink lots of water, take vitamins, yet this winter has been the worst for me in probably 5 years!!

Trying to get out for an easy run or just rest today --- 22 miles planned on Sunday from the Hopkinton start in what looks like a cold rain!!

Track workout Wed was great - despite the cold, wind --- will it ever be spring??   We did 8x800 at our 5k pace pace -- was very pleased with my splits --- Coach had me at 3:50 for 800 but after the 1st one at 3:49 - the rest were all between 3:45-3:47 -- very happy!!

Have a wonderful Friday and weekend my friends!!

denise

Love those factoids rochrunner, thanks! And let's hope some of those firsts for 2014 are not first and only (the weather stuff that is)

Thanks all for the kind kiddo comments. I feel time just zooming by right now with all the college material coming at us and then yesterday his senior week schedule was posted. Proud? Very much so, yes. And Ribs, they'd have Poughkeepsie in common too yes? It would be a hoot if Riblet aka the President ended up at Mizzou.

Ran 12.1 miles with 8 miles in the middle at 6:52 pace. roar. Legs tired from yesterday's hill workout, so I was super happy to see the time. Target was 6:50-7:00. Last super long run on Monday...

Hang in there Denise! And it's your birthday weekend, yes? Here's hoping the cold goes away quickly.

Mike E

MM #5615

ROARRRRR!!!!! is more like it, Karin.

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Deez}}} - Here's hoping your headcold disappears immediately!

Ribs and CNYrunner - we, too, are looking into colleges for DS, although unless he gets some serious scholarships or grants, he will likely be going to school here in Ohio.  He is taking the ACT again in two weeks, which may make a difference.  He did reasonably well the first time (29) but feels he can do better.  We are going on our first college tour - University of Cincinnati - on 4/5.  DS is interested in their extensive medical research program.  We shall see.

Waking up to 49 degrees, I couldn't resist running a little long today.  The wind was a bit fierce, but it felt so good to be running in capris instead of winter wear.

11 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

NHLA

6 miles 50 min lucky I ran early before the cold rain started.

Fuzz, I just had a reply, then accidentally shut the page.

I hope to run tonight after work and before a dinner "date/non-date" (long story).  Irregardless, I will be doing lots of running on the weekend to get my mileage up.

Twocat, I cracked up at your "lost calendar" comment yesterday.

TW, maybe the fact that you like scary clowns is why you laugh out loud at night.

My pet lanuage peeve is hearing the phrase "blank is really addicting", which sounds wrong to me, although I don't know if it is or not.  I always say "blank is really addictive".  Which is correct?  Or does it matter?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

All the college chat  is exciting.  I don't have kiddoes, but I truly enjoy the college trips, decision factors (one friend told me she was convinced her daughter chose the school she did because she thought she'd look good in their track suits; another was convinced it was the personable student tour guide) and hubbub, all played out against parental complicated mixed emotions.  I also remember an epiphany.  My close friends had children a little later than usual.  One day, a group of us were at Williams College; we had tickets to a matinee play at the Theater there.  It coincided with freshmen moving in, so the quad was crammed with folks who practically had thought bubbles erupting above their heads.  As I unashamedly people watched, it struck me that I was closer in age, if not the same age, as the parents!

I'd been identifying with the students up until then; suddenly, my focus slammed around 180, I started calculating when my chums would be doing the move-in thing with their kids (really soon!) and I contemplated what the parents were feeling.

Since I'm off to see my college roomie in a few hours, I plead that as a defense for my quick trip down memory lane with you.

Didn't run today, don't plan to either.  SO why am I snacking as if I ran a half?  Or wicked fast like Karin?  And it's not even cold here (I know, laying in stores since it will BE cold in Reston!  Ah yeah, that's it.)

Happiest of weekends.  My brother (and only sibling) would have turned 73 Monday.  Trying to say that in a way that doesn't sound sad or sappy.   Just that we're here, whatever we are doing or doing without, enjoying or struggling with, anticipating or dreading.   And part of my here is being part of this little group.  Again, thanks so very much for allowing me to just jump back in after an extended absence.  No need to respond to this; just go have fun and enjoy your family and friends and run if you can.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

........well, like we say OutWest>>>>>>>All that WindUp and NoPitch.........

no shot,

keep doing what I'm already doing

and

call the doc when I'm ready for a hip-replacement

......as I suspected, the hip is bone-on-bone

and

the doc said the cortisone shot wasn't particularly effective for that

I, of course, asked about the Geodes.............''we'll take them out when we take the hip'' he said

...................I like the guy, so all the above works for me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Pickles (however) was expecting a different outcome.

now I can get back to WorkingOnMyMusic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN5lIEcbXpM

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay, now you're just bragging.....

Amy - we missed you when you were gone and are very happy you are back!

TomWhite - darn it!  I'm with Pickles.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Well, I think tw's conclusion is good. A doctor who knows when a popular treatment isn't effective and says so is a good one to find. Too many would go ahead if the patient was interested (or demanding) and charge for the (non-medically necessary) procedure. Also, tw, hip replacement surgery has made some great developments in the past few years. My dad had his done and wonders why he waited so long.

Love the blooming trees photos shared here recently. I was looking for the photo of my crab apple tree from a few years ago and couldn't find it. It was just beautiful and hasn't bloomed like that since. Now there's a dead patch in the middle that I'll need to cut out, so I hope the tree isn't on it's way to decline. But ours blooms furiously the last week of May and into the first week of June, then it seems a good thunderstorm with gusty winds sends the blooms all over the yard, and that's the end of that.

Enke, I don't know about addicting vs addictive, but I suspect you're right. Sort of like nauseous vs. nauseated. This is a greta book, by the way, and I also listen to Mignon Fogarty's podcast, Grammar Girl.

Another day of brilliant sunshine, yes definitely freckle-inducing! I doubled up on the sunscreen today, as I'll be heading out again within the hour for a short trot. I think all the snow we still have intensifies the sun, but then again, in the summer I run more on shaded trails as well. We'll be cooling off again next week with highs in the low 30's and upper 20's, with a little snow possible later. Phooey!