Masters Running

Sunday, 2.12.17 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday’s excellent workouts:
    Marj (ran an hour somewhere in FL)
    C-R (8 miles with the club in 49 sunny degrees, pre-closet painting and carpet pulling up)
    Dave (3 miles in 65F degrees)
    Rochrunner (EZ 6 miler around the lake with a buddy)
    Tramps (EZ 6 also)
    Lamerunner (7 miles of local trail slog with some soft snow in 12F degrees)
    BerthaSlayer (8 miles, faster than usual)
    Tammy (9.3 miles with a friend in cold and fog, then nice and sun - longest run in a year or more)
    Mike (12 good miles after watching 8th grade granddaughter’s BB tournament)
    Twocat (16 post-procrastinating miles in low 30s temps on OK roads)
    Spacityrunner (3.5 hot, humid, windy miles in beautiful scenery)
    Leslie (10 chilly, sunny, rain-free miles at the Headwaters)
    Steve (5K with cousins, then 3.5 more miles while Dad napped)

Good perspective on geezerdom, Marj. You too (via the card), Tramps.

Thanks for the good news update on DS’s eye, Lamenrunner.

Ah, interesting idea for a birthday party invite, Twocat. I think DW had the right idea. And thanks for the pepper info, in addition to the recipes.

I’m so sorry about your fall, Leslie. I hope you get some quick/lasting relief soon. Scaling back a lot next week sounds like a mighty fine idea. Good for you for connecting the Hub with your NP, and for her for setting him on a good path. And good for you for supporting him.

I'm volunteering to support our 2017 road race series at a sports expo this afternoon. We're supposed to get 3-5" of snow today, so I'll be pleasantly surprised if the expo is well-attended. We've got a big storm coming tomorrow (the forecast on a couple of websites just read "BLIZZARD," so it should be an interesting day.

I went for a 5 mile slog this morning in 18F temps and a persistent light snow. The roads are a mess, with everything, including some clear pavement, lots 'o slush, loose snow, and packed snow. So it was a constant struggle to get decent footing, and I felt like I was working twice as hard to go half as fast. I must have done something to aggravate my upper back, which is still sore from my ice fall over a week ago, and it was hurting a bit with every exhale this morning. None-the-less, I opted to keep breathing. Lastly, and surely out of spite for no particular reason. So I was glad to be out there and touring the neighborhood, and I was glad when I got back home.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

We have ice coated roads thanks to an icy rain coming down. Nobody is going anywhere this morning. Perhaps on ice skates but that is it. coastwalker I guess whatever this is plans to hit you all with snow instead of this stuff we have.

SteveP running races you do not expect to win!?  People do that? Oh yea, just about all of us. Glad you got your cousins into running.

fatozzig many of my recipes are low calorie. Try the cauliflower recipe. The cauliflower is low cal. The quinoa and peanuts are high protein. The prunes have a lot of good nutrients. A pretty good, fairly complete meal overall with a fairly low calorie count for what you get.

Eventually I need to get going. I will do an hour on the elliptical. Do some work to wait out the icy rain. Then if the roads are passable go to the grocery store to get the week's supplies.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Good morning.

Jay, breathing is an excellent option. I hope your back feels better soon.

I am trying to get my own mojo up for my long run. It's raining. And I know the rule but I need to get this done. And on the radio is The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie. lol. So am trying to wait until it eases up. So send me some virtual mojo please and thanks and I shall send it all back tenfold. I am hoping to be done by noon.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Hubby makes what he calls cauliflower rice. It is good.  It doesn't have rice in it but looks like rice. I will ask him for the recipe and post it here later when he comes home from tennis.

Lori

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

C-R

Hey all.

Careful on that slippery stuff on the roads.

Easy recovery 4 today. Tried the Newtons. Still not sure but will keep at it.

I make mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes. Easy enough to make. I also make the cauliflower rice but all I do is grate it of the stalk and steam. I am open for some ideas on how to thicken my mashed version. Thoughts?

Well off to finish the painting.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mariposai

Greetings from Red  Mountain, ,Canada.  We are having a good weekend of skiing and having fun with friends. Yesterday was a very nice weather for downhill skiing.  No running for me this weekend,  but plenty of exercise between skiing for 6 hours and,then swimming for 1 hour in the evening with my friend who is not able to ski.

Carpe Diem and butterfly hugs to all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - Brrr!

Nancy - some beautiful pictures on FB of the snow - looks like fun (as long as you are dressed warmly).

Leslie - ouch!

Well, we spent the night in Columbus with 3 other couples at a (for us) fancy hotel (The Westin), ate dinner out, and then went to a show, Shadowbox Live - "sketch comedy and rock-and-roll"  http://www.shadowboxlive.org/  - and had a great time.  The rest of the gang went out dancing afterward, but DH and I headed back to the hotel to relax - we are such fuddy duddies. 

16.4 mile LR for me yesterday in an unexpected warm spell with temps around 50.  I actually ran into a cloud of gnats - in February!  What's up with this crazy winter?

3 recovery miles for me today on the hotel TM, back to chilly and blustery.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Jay, the only decent blizzard is at ice cream shops.

Twocat, any more, if there are 15 people in a race, I can expect to come in 23rd.

Using califlower as as a substitute for real food is terrifying. This country needs an overhaul.

Holly, no doubt you and DH classed the joint up.

10.35 miles in the Gulf air. It was in the 50's when I started. I could see my breath. When I stopped on a pier to take a picture for DW, steam was rising off my shoulders.

I'm concerned about Dad. I'm hoping he has a bug that's going around and not complications from his surgery.

SteveP

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Got my 16 miler done. AND NO RAIN. Yay. But not gonna lie. Today was hard to get it done. Ran out of water with over 3 miles to go and let me just say that the puddles were calling my name. I almost caved and had some. lol

Lori

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

after seeing the first robin of the year on the 1/31 'mute,

I guess i shouldn't have been surprised to find a quartet

of goslings along the lakeside shoreline but they

were kind of brave in distancing themselves

from the two adults initially with them as I took advantage

of the old landing rights-of-ways going back to the days

before the bridges from Seattle to follow their progress

along the multi-million dollar lakeside residences/mansions.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

catwhoorg

Labrat

My wife has been running a fever, so I locked her away from the kids. Its down now.

So she wanted to spend some time with them, and I managed to grab a run for a couple of hours.

13.2 for me.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

{{{SteveP's dad}}} Prayers, Steve.

Using califlower as as a substitute for real food is terrifying. This country needs an overhaul.

Neither of us is big on cauliflower.  Is it even possible to make it tasty without loads of butter and salt??  I'll have to go back and look at that recipe, 2Kitty.

With this pain my backside, it's hard to get comfortable sitting to do transcription.  *sigh*  I did get The Hub out for a walk at the Arcata Marsh 'cause it's beautiful here again today (more rain coming later in the week).  Kinda irritated the butt, but it was worth it.  The Marsh is actually an innovative wastewater treatment plant.  Very pretty and serene place.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SteveP

The Marsh is actually an innovative wastewater treatment plant.  Very pretty and serene place.

Ah....... Sunset over the sewer ponds...... How romantic.... sigh.

I don't know how to share pictures here with the phone. If a FB friend sees anything the group may find interesting, feel free to share.

SteveP

Tramps

Ran midday to avoid the earlier rain.  15 miles in 50F temps.  EZ pace but not EZ miles, if you know what I mean.

Best to you dealing with nasty weather.  Be safe out there.

Be safe. Be kind.

mrrun

Twocat posted a recipe about a year ago with shredded cauliflower that I still make - it's actually easier then the one with prunes.

No running today, just swimming and walking.

Berthaslayer & steve  & holly & tramps (took too long posting) - nice runs

coastwalker & fatozzig - listen to your bods, not your minds

C-R - tried running in newtons at store and didn't buy them.  felt they were going to change my stride, but that was a couple of years ago. don't know if they've changed since then.

posai - nice skiing - we're getting pics of kids sledding in NH and GS has become a snowboard addict (2nd to hockey)

tet - can't see your pics

sorry to anyone i missed - caused by the afternoon wine and cheese,

marj