Masters Running

Thursday, August 5 Daily (Read 487 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I'll start us off with a non run today (again).  I finally went to the doctor yesterday for a problem that we were diagnosing over the phone, but it wasn't getting any better.    That's because I actually have a bacterial infection and that requires totally different meds.   Bottom line, I finally got a full nights sleep last night!!   Plus I had to have Cushman and Vespa in by 6:45 to get fixed this morning.    Tomorrow I plan on getting out for a little longer run.

Tonight we have to drive down to Kalamazoo as DD#2 is moving from one apartment to another for another year of college.   This apartment is furnished, so we have to bring back some stuff and find a place to store it in case it is needed again.  

So, not many takers on the sky diving huh??   Mariposia - this was my 50th birthday thing that I wanted to do.   I have until October to accomplish it.  

Well, better get at it.

Have a good one!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good Morning Mary & all RA Masters,

Sorry about your infection Mary, hope the meds take care of that for you. 

Just moved my DD into an apartment at Cleveland State for grad. school last weekend.  She has commuted 20 miles the last 4 years of college but Cleveland is 80 miles so that was a new experience for all of us.   

Cross country race last evening, it fit right in between thunderstorms which helpd the temp. drop from 91 to 83 but still very humid.  Course is slow and long, by everyone account 3.23 miles.  Anyway I ran hard for 25 minutes which my only real goal.  Especially since the one guy I love to beat did not show this week.  My 25 :40 was good for Grand masters 3/7 and 29/43 overall .  I can still beat almost all of the middle school kids and most HS girls at a 5k   Anyway that's my speed work for the week

Will be going out for a run soon. 

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice Sarge!

Mary.. yay on the sleep!

Steam bath out there today. Cut 6 miler short and will do pool running later.

4.6 miles in 43:33 (9:28, AHR 155). 77° with 76° dewpoint (96% humidity) at 6 am. I wore a cap filled with ice cubes which helped.... but they were all melted by mile 3! Then it was just not fun.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Nice running and placing Sarge

Glad you got some sleep and the right meds Mary

Steady 11.6 mile run for me and Iron J this morning in the light rain and thick air. Our kiddos are both heading to 9th grade and high school in a few weeks, but different high schools---and different summer reading lists.  We are both reading the books on their lists to stay connected with our men-boys and we had a running book talk this morning. It was great fun and interesting to learn of the different choices at each school even they will both take Freshman honors English.

MTA: Hi perch! Sorry about the meltage. My shoes were squishing with sweat and rain. eewwww.

3.5 recovery miles at 10:17 pace.  Avg HR 118

Our Company headquarters are on Long Island and they're having a Company Picnic this afternoon.  So one of the Execs up there decided it would be nice for the office down here to have a picnic also.   Nice thought I suppose.  But the last thing I want to do in August in S. Fla. between 12:30 and 3PM in the afternoon is be outside.

Couldn't they have picked January or something?  Uggg.

Oh well, a nice Lunch with friends will be had regardless.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Glad to hear you're on the mend Mary. Sleep is NOT overrated.

Nice running Sarge.

Perch, I never thought of ice cubes in the hat. Doesn't that give you a little ice cream headache at first?

3 easy miles this morning, also in the soup, 8:23 pace. Only 3 EZ and I was a puddle after. That after 60 minutes of weight training: squats, overhead presses, cable rows and some shoulder work. Hunched over at my desk too much and my neck and shoulder are complaining.

5 mile tempo with the club tonight - I may also be dodging T-storms.

Renee the dog

.  But the last thing I want to do in August in S. Fla. between 12:30 and 3PM in the afternoon is be outside.

breger, Can't you guys just tell headquarters that you are outside??  

Got in 12 miles this morning with the first 7 in stinky low tide along the bay.  Blech.  Stopped by the house to pick up Renee and also put ice in my cap.  She was pretty much done after 2 mi., so I had to finish on my own.  Tied a wet bandana around my wrist, which felt good and helped wipe the continuous sweat out of my eyes. Glad to have my LR for the week out of the way. I'm trying out having a floating LR on my schedule each week.  We'll see how that goes...

Have a great one!!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mariposai

Steady 11.6 mile run for me and Iron J this morning in the light rain and thick air. Our kiddos are both heading to 9th grade and high school in a few weeks, but different high schools---and different summer reading lists.  We are both reading the books on their lists to stay connected with our men-boys 

and that is exactly what I did when my boys were in school...well even now...I am reading a science fiction book, such as those only boys would enjoy so I can stay connected.

WoodsLady has a very good question on hill running. I am looking forward to learning a thing or two from her thread.

8 miles in 1:30  today with 4x2' at faster pace. I took a cliff shot at the one hour mark and what a huge difference that made for the end of my run.

This morning I open the door to go for a run and I was greeted with two boxes of ripen nectarine ...I guess I have to find good healthy ways to use them up.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Hope your medical issues are solved, Mary. A good night's sleep goes a long way toward that.

I haven't run much lately since the bike trip is coming up, but managed 4 easy ones this morning with a friend on what's become our regular outing. Conditions were better than the last few days, so it felt pretty good, helping to relieve some of my usual pre-trip jitters.

So tomorrow I'll be driving about 250 miles north to Mackinaw City. On Saturday morning we load our bikes and gear on a truck and get bussed to Montague, MI, which is just north of Muskegon on the Lake Michigan shore. Then, the following 7 days we ride generally along the shoreline, stopping in Ludington, Frankfort, Traverse City, Charlevoix, Harbor Springs, and finally back into Mackinaw City -- around 400 miles when all is said and done.  This is all prime Michigan vacation & resort territory, and should be loaded with scenery and fun.

I'll check in when I return and can get back to some running (the Crim's also coming up in a few weeks!).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

King of PhotoShop

Bill, my company here in TX used to do this all the time, picnic in June, until people finally rebelled.

It has been mentioned here many times but I'll allude to it again here. One cause of fatigue during a given week is running your recovery runs too long or too fast.  I am really sensitive to this issue and feel like I have it nailed at 2 very slow untimed miles for all my recovery runs.  These are usually just two a week, on Mondays after running long on Sunday and on Thursdays after running fast on Wednesday.

So today I go out there and do two nice slow miles, just enjoying myself and just as I finish here comes my running partner who is pretty fast. I agree to do one more mile with her and of course it's a more up-tempo pace now, so I get 3 miles in, one quick.  I doubt this will have any effect on my week but I will notice it on Saturday if it does.  Spareribs

just as I finish here comes my running partner who is pretty fast. I agree to do one more mile with her and of course it's a more up-tempo pace now, so I get 3 miles in, one quick.  I doubt this will have any effect on my week but I will notice it on Saturday if it does.  Spareribs

Fast women will do it to you every time.

Vista

Re ice in the hats - My buddy, Kate, wears an ice hat for her 100 milers.  Has a zippered pocket on the top with a shammy inside.  Works great.  At SOB a few weeks ago, we were stuffing snow up under our hats.

It's only about 55 here, but lots of wetness in the air.  Found my cat licking the moisture off my car this morning; hence, the name Goofy/Goombah.

Mmmmm!  Nectarines!   Mmmmmm!

Mary - Glad you've figured out what's been going on.

Amy - I didn't have any oatmeal, but I will say, "Mornin', dudette!"

1 hr of core/upper body with some shin and hammies exercises thrown in for good measure.  I need to work more on my triceps.  Soon, I'll be able to fly far, far away.

Later ~

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Thank you Woods Lady for the welcome.   In reality I was on here for several years but for a variety of reasons stopped posting a couple of years ago.   LONG story there but basically, life is full of seasons and it is important to identify and make the necessary changes.

All of that being said, I do appreciate your welcome and your recognition of my energy.  I do feel that God has created me with some unique (as He does with all of us) abilities that I want to use to better my own life while influencing the lives of those around me.

Congratulations on YOUR running and the attitude that you display.

I got in only a little over a mile of running last night but that is okay.   The weekend is coming and somehow I always manage more miles during that time of the week.

Vista
                            TammyinGP

Good Morning Dudettes and Dudes (ladies first right?)

no skydiving for me, although it was on my wishlist back when I was 30 and single. I had a few friends that regularly went skydiving and was planning on trying it, but for a variety of reasons, timing just didn't work out. Then I got married and had a baby and now that I have a child, I'm not as daring as I once was in my single days.

went out for my first run post-relay last night. Only 4.7 miles and it was a bit hilly so a fairly slow run (48 minutes). Felt good to use the legs again. Tonight might be a picking and canning beans night.

Have a good Thursday everyone! It's almost the weekend!

Tammy

Perch, I never thought of ice cubes in the hat. Doesn't that give you a little ice cream headache at first?

Good point there EGH3.  Today I tried a umpire trick, which to baggie a frozen wash cloth & put it in the back pocket then half way wipe off your face & neck with the moist & cool cloth, it feels great

10 miles in 1:37:18 some how I missed the rain cause on my way back there were fresh puddles, not that rain could have got me any wetter 

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.