Masters Running

Thurs 9/11 (Read 556 times)

The Jogger

Morning Gang Well haven't been on here for a while and only run yesterday after 11 days off from running working nights and meetings etc all the excuses. I even secretly thought of packing it in. Never mind, went for a 3 miler yesterday and today with MrsRoy, which was nice. Very slow but nice. It's that time of year again and I'm please to say I am 19 years without a drink. TG Remembering today also for the people that died and suffered on this day. Good Runs Alll Roy

Renee the dog

Just posting to say NICE PICTURE of the suit at the end of yesterday's daily lyndenrunner! 9/11/01 was much on my mind last night when I ran. Our town is on a grid, and all 4 corners of each of the blocks simply gets little American flags late on Sept. 10. So the whole town simply, quietly remembers. I had a lot of customers in the towers. A couple hundred people I'd met over the years died that day. My husband had a meeting at 9 a.m. in the towers scheduled for 9/12/01. Obviously, a day that changed my life path (and many others) forever. Today is a rest day. I'll be traveling to PA to see my Mom. Good runs to all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

9/11 - sobering thoughts Speaking of sobering -- congratulations on your anniversary, Roy. Also congratulations on deciding not to pack it in. Seems like I'm always talking about the weather, but it has been so nice with it cooling since the dead of summer. 62°F today, and even with the 90% humidity it was a nice morning to run. 12.1 miles, 1:46, 8:47/mi, AHR 144

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave59

Unscheduled rest day. During yesterday's run my foot/ankle start hurting (not even enough to mention). I walked a few steps, retied my shoes and finished the last mile and a half of my run feeling fine. As the day wore on I could feel some soreness and this morning it's even more sore. It feels like I rolled/sprained my foot/ankle but I think I would remember doing something like that. So, I'll give it a day (or 2 or 3) and see how it goes. Probably nothing serious.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hey Steve, hope you are doing well and recovering from your leg pain...and keeping your sanity. Can't wait till your back, and reading posts of your awesome runs Nice pictures last night Gordon....good looking suit, or it is you that makes the suit look good Smile Welcome back Roy, I was wondering about you. Hey buddie..no giving up running on us, OK. Congrats on your 19 years of sobriety Smile Thanks for the sobering reminder of that tragic day nonoruns. That day is forever etched in my mind, and I will always remember where I was at, and what I was doing at that very moment. Have a nice rest day! Dave, hope that foot pain is no problem...but be careful, which it sounds like you will be. (do as I say, and not as I do) Smile Sweet 12.1 run Lou - Yes, the cooler weather is nicer for running for sure. Hey Mary, I was curious about what's the furthest Brinkley has run? Nice run for you too and good to see your HR lowering and steady. I once ran a 1/2 M where this guy was running with his doggie. He and his dog passed me at about mile 8, and I never saw them again till the finish line...I thought great, I got beat by a dog Confused I didn't know exactly what my run would be like last night considering my hard effort cycling the day before. I choose to do a temp-ish run to work on form, posture, and paces. My plan was to run a good strong effort with 5 tempo miles in the middle at about 8:00 to 7:45 pace (per Ribs), instead of my 1000 M repeats on the track which seems to aggravate my heel with the constant speeding up, and slowing down. Hey Ribs, whenever you want me to run a certain pace, don't give me two options...cause I will always choose the quicker one Roll eyes Oh yeah, was running 5 miles at 7:30 pace to check stamina a challenge, or just food for thought...I could of done that last night, but didn't know if you really meant for me to do that? 12 miles overall - 1:35:02 - 7:56 ave pace for entire run. 5 mile tempo run was run good and strong with a 7:43 ave pace. The run was a confidence booster and my heel whispered to me a little, but no biggie. The weather was nice too with temps around 70, with little on no humidity. Hope all have a great day all, and don't pull a Juan Agosto Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Hi ROY! I've been wondering where you have been hiding lately. Whatever you do - Don't pack it in! Just get out there when you can. Congratulations on your anniversary! Nono- very sobering thoughts indeed. Dave - I hope the foot is nothing serious! Good to take it easy for a few days. Lou - I hope the humidity lets up for you one of these days! Nice 12 miles this morning. Nice 12 miler last night Tim. Sound like you are listening to your heel and adjusting accordingly. Juan who? Wink Out for 5 Brinkley miles this morning. No animal or people sightings today. Just star gazing and a few fartleks thrown in just because Brinkley thought we should. I'm happy to see my heart rate getting a little more steady, and all of my miles were under 160 this morning. Overall 9:48 avg. pace and 151 avg. HR. 9:42 / 142 9:37 / 147 9:41 / 154 9:56 / 159 10:02 / 157 Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, nono, that's sad. I thought DD10 remembered a little bit about the day, but she doesn't. I was surprised that she didn't know what happened that day, so I went ahead and explained it briefly. I was so choked up it was hard to get the words out - I didn't expect that.

Renee the dog

. I once ran a 1/2 M where this guy was running with his doggie. He and his dog passed me at about mile 8, and I never saw them again till the finish line...I thought great, I got beat by a dog Confused
                  Yeah, but a dog has 4 legs. He's cheating! Not Brinkley, but Renee has gone 10 miles with me, then come home and hurdled the kids for a half hour. She's just a show-off!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Hey Mary, I was curious about what's the furthest Brinkley has run? Nice run for you too and good to see your HR lowering and steady. I once ran a 1/2 M where this guy was running with his doggie. He and his dog passed me at about mile 8, and I never saw them again till the finish line...I thought great, I got beat by a dog Confused
                    Tim- the farthest I've gone with Brinkley is 7 miles. I was just thinking this morning during our run that it is too bad I can't have him with me for the marathon - but he won't be ready. Wink I'll probalby take him with me for the next 8 miler - he has it in him (more than I do at times).

~Mary

~unknown

Another rest day for me... Congrats Roy...that's a tough one 9/11-Very hard to put my feelings to word...but very proud I became an American...
                      Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                        Lots of good runs already on this day of contemplation and remembrance. 12.6 mile workout for me on the bike path----- clear and beautiful out there and 50F---2 mile warm-up and then 3x20 at 7:20 pace (7:17, 7:15, 7:18) with 4 minute rest intervals and the remaining footsteps at relaxed pace again. Congrats on your anniversary Roy---way to go and nice to see you again. Karin
                        dg.

morning everybody morning Roy! sincere congratulations to you. 19 years is a huge accomplishement. and,,, glad you are still with us. nice segue Lou. of course, nice run too. Dave good luck with your ankle. nice runs Tim & Mary, Mary, those are the averages, yes? do you know your max for those miles? just curious. I've noticed your improvement. Big grin. you're giving me hope. Smile better just post this & go... 4.19 miles, 9:02 average pace, 7:54 max. ahr 167, max 183. i was happy with the miles. 9:49 /150 8:50/169 8:45/171 8:36/177 last bit was at 8:26. Then weight machines, assorted stability ball things, & stretches. I am tired! and late. have a great day.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Deb - I think my maximum this morning was only 163. I find that encouraging as there are hills at the midpoint of my run. You are doing great!

~Mary

~unknown

Welcome back, Roy; take it easy nono; nice 12, Lou; {{Dave’s foot}}; Tim was .1 short of Lou; Hopeful’s still on schedule; lynden resting too; Karin besting Lou and Tim; dg getting really speedy (you doing the 5K in Bandemer Park on Saturday?).
                              Even after home study, I am unable to explain exactly why the grammar of this sentence is the way it is. I understand the meaning perfectly, but I can't explain why the verb is imperfect subjunctive passive, which is what he wants to know.
                              DH, you might enjoy the book The Unfolding of Language by Guy Deutcher. It reminds us that no language (except maybe Esperanto) was actually designed by anyone; rather, all languages evolved naturally over time. So all of the supposedly strict "rules" that we learned in Latin class are more like empirical observations made long after the language took its classical form, and the same goes for English and other languages. The book is especially interesting in showing how Latin got all those confusing cases and word endings that plague students to this day. So when a sentence in Latin appears not to follow some rule, perhaps it is the rule that is not quite accurate when compared to how people actually wrote and spoke. As another example, my copy of Les Miserables is of course in English, but ends with the epitaph on Jean Valjean's headstone in French. I couldn't interpret it, so I sent it off to my SIL who is a linguistics professor at Ohio State and fluent in French. She also had trouble with it, passed it around her department, but could only come up with a couple of "maybe" translations. And this was just a few lines from Hugo's original text! On the subject of Brinkley's running: This weekend at a local art fair there was a booth from a greyhound "rescue society" with a few dogs that they were taking around and introducing to people. It's amazing how streamlined and fast a greyhound looks just when standing around -- the Ferrari of dogs I suppose. Anyway, I was thinking how cool it would be to have a greyhound as a running partner. They are the 2nd-fastest land animal on the planet, can hit 35mph "in three strides", and top out over 40mph. They'd be able to easily keep up with a road bike, too, but I'm not sure about the endurance factor. The only problem would be having to keep them on a leash for obvious reasons.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

DickyG

The Associated Press ran a story regarding Colonel Sanders' famous handwritten chicken recipe of 11 herbs and spices. The yellowing sheet of paper was removed from safekeeping at KFC's corporate offices for the first time in decades. The temporary relocation is allowing KFC to revamp security. "I don't want to be the president who loses the recipe," KFC president Roger Eaton said. "Imagine how terrifying that would be." Really? Is food espionage a hot item on the agenda of other fast food companies? I've been to my share of corporate board meetings over the years. We've discussed ways to improve customer service, cost containment measures, revenue enhancement ideas, and production improvement techniques. I don't recall too much discussion of fried chicken recipes. Frankly, I think KFC should let everyone have the recipe....then they could make a fortune selling diet pills. Ribs:
                                Miserable, slow 4 miles, totally out of sync and uncomfortable!
                                Really sorry to hear that but I have a good inkling as to how you feel..."miserable, slow 4 miles" characterizes about 99% of my runs. Carolyn:
                                Tonight I have the 2nd race in a trail racing series. Tonight's race is 5.2 miles. Its supposed to be warm today, might be about 80 at 6 pm, so I'm not hoping for a speedy run, but I'm gonna get a PR, as I've never raced that distance! Cool
                                Remember, as your agent, I get 5% of all winnings plus 2 Kenyans to be named later...good luck! Roy:
                                Remembering today also for the people that died and suffered on this day.
                                Wonderful thought, Roy...glad to see you posting...and running...again. And a big "well done" on your 19-year anniversary from drinking! Tim: 7:56 pace for 12 miles...man, you're so ready for your marathon. Like everyone else, 9/11 hits me hard every year. I happened to be in NYC that day...but all the way up in midtown. Unfortunately, I lost 2 of my grad school classmates and an additional business associate. I was supposed to meet up with one of my classmates for drinks after work. I don't run on Thursdays..which is good because I feel kinda yucky today...matter of fact, not even going in to work...think I'll just veg out today and catch up on some old "King Of The Hill" recordings I've accumulated. Maybe golf later in the afternoon if someone really talks me into it. DickyG