Masters Running

Not really the end: 2.28.16 (Read 45 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Great photo of the NOLA crew yesterday!

14.5 RW miles this morning that really wore me out: A) I went a hard 7+ mi. yesterday so my legs were hardly fresh this morning, and B) this was the farthest I've gone in at least 6 months. I've stretched and showered, so now I have to go eat something, then a nap perhaps, and then I have to bake a cake to take when we go visit friends for dinner later today. It's a good thing that tomorrow is my SRD.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Great photo of the NOLA crew yesterday!

+1

Jay - nice distance today.  And I love Sunday naps.

Turns out doing my LR yesterday was a good idea, as the dinner gathering ran late with great friends and good conversation.  Plus, when I went out for a shortish run this morning, while it was much warmer at 42 degrees, it was also quite a bit windier.

5 recovery-paced miles for me this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Nice workout Jay and Holly and +1 on the NOLA picture.

Seems there is a cloud around here. Sprained my ankle yesterday (opposite leg with knee injury). Not sure if someone is trying to give me a hint.

DW and I watched the Intern yesterday. Not what I expected but a good movie.

Have a great Sunday everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Seems there is a cloud around here. Sprained my ankle yesterday (opposite leg with knee injury). Not sure if someone is trying to give me a hint.

So sorry about the ankle C-R.  It sounds like you could use a little good luck today - hopefully the rest of your day goes better.

Wow - 14.5 miles this morning?  Nice workout Jay! Hey - you never told us how the BWTB went.

Did you have the gathering at your house Holly, or go to someone else's? And do you like red or white?

5 miles for me as well this morning. It was 32° but windy. Yesterday the high temp was 54° and we lost a lot of snow cover. When I did laundry I put the sheets and blankets on the clothesline. And - I noticed on my run this morning that a lot of the trail around my house is becoming visible in spots. Nothing gets plowed during the winter which drives me crazy. Can't wait as I always fear for my life running on some of the busy streets around here. Especially in two weeks when we'll be "back in black."

Who's your money on for the Oscar's tonight? From what I've read, Leonardo has "best actor" locked up. Have a great Sunday everyone!

Marathon Maniac #957

Did you have the gathering at your house Holly, or go to someone else's? And do you like red or white?

At my house this time.  And we had red wine last night.  I made Prime Rib w/au jus, cheesy mashed potatoes, broccoli, salad with balsamic vinaigrette and lots of toppings, crusty bread, and a frozen strawberry/Oreo cookie crumble dessert. Plus I had a cheese and fruit tray, and our friends brought some appetizers - queso dip and chips and Brie with blueberry topping and baguettes.   It was a yummy and fattening evening.

I need to start my spring diet......

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

and a frozen strawberry/Oreo cookie crumble dessert.

I need to start my spring diet......

I hear 'ya. But would you share that recipe first?

Mike E

MM #5615

I made Prime Rib w/au jus, cheesy mashed potatoes, broccoli, salad with balsamic vinaigrette and lots of toppings, crusty bread, and a frozen strawberry/Oreo cookie crumble dessert. Plus I had a cheese and fruit tray...

And she ran 21.1 miles....how?

Yeah, that is a lot of cooking after 21 miles!  wtg, Holly.

Yesterday I did 2 loops at Discovery Park, which is around 5.6 miles total.  I felt great after the first two miles (not sproinky-great but better than I expected after biking commuting all week) and I probably could have done another loop, but Remi and MBE were waiting for me.  Poor doggie gets really upset when I run away from him on the trail like that even though he is walking with MBE.

Then we went to see The Revenant last night.  I enjoyed it.

Now it is very rainy with wind gusts and I have a fire in the woodstove going so I think I will stay here and jump on the treadmill soon for maybe 3 miles, just to see how my knee is feeling today.  It held up well yesterday.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

And she ran 21.1 miles....how?

Actually it was only 20.1 - I had a typo.  But the key was that I cleaned the house the day before, and made the dessert the day before too.  The rest of it wasn't that hard.  I'll post the dessert recipe later this afternoon.

Here's how you make perfect prime rib though:

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.

Rob prime rib with garlic, then sprinkle flour and seasoning salt on it.

Put in glass/Pyrex dish with lots of salt on the bottom of pan.

Bake at 500 degrees for 5 minutes per lb, then add an additional 5 minutes at the end.  (For a 7-lb prime rib last night, I cooked it for 40 minutes.)

At the end of this time, turn the oven off, but DO NOT OPEN DOOR.  Leave prime rib in oven for two hours - DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR AT ALL DURING THIS TIME.

At the end of 2 hours, you will have a perfectly cooked prime rib - pink but not bloody - sort of a mediumish.  Slice and serve with au jus.

Twoat, belated happy birthday.  mari, neat pics of the New Orleans group.  I've been to NOLA twice, many years ago.  I had a couple of nice meals, saw Al Hirt and Pete Fountain in person (that dates me and my visits), heard some jazz, saw a Mardi Gras parade, took a riverboat ride, etc.

Nice long runs and walks for Mike, Holly, fatozzig, and Jay.

Our younger grandson was running a temperature last week.  Our daughter in law stayed home with him wed, our son thurs, and we went down fri to let the kids get to work.  I walked 2 miles on the kids TM on fri.  Sat, we came home and I was feeling beat so did nothing.  This morning, I ran 3 miles on the TM at an 11:09 pace.  We got word that our older grandson started running a temp so I don't know if we'll be called back into action.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

I know, I have been AWOL for some time now. A combination of work, travel for work and not running with the NOLA marathon coming up made it tough for me to get myself to come here to RA and post. So let me give a belated thanks to fatozzig (and the disturbing dancing bananas!), stumpy77C-Rtomwhiteevanfleindeez4boyzmrrunHolly S.wildchild (and for those hysterical snowcats!), Mike Etetsujin209 and tselbs.

I owe a special thanks to Mariposai. She has made this trip to NOLA something really special. Having rocks for brains I ran 10k on Friday to see what would happen. Nothing hurt, inadvertently failed to drop dead and the rocks for brains thing kicked in. Translation I decided to run the marathon. Now, Mariposai is not totally in the clear here as she and my DW were both encouraging me to do so. Had I not had Mariposai here in NOLA, there is no way I would have started. Had she not patiently run with me the whole (and I mean WHOLE) race I would never have finished.

For those of you who are wondering if all that training you do makes a difference, after my experiment I can unequivocally say it does. Yes, quite a surprise I know. But for the good of science I stopped running in early December to prepare for this test today. If you are going to try this test yourself, and I am not encouraging it, have a great support crew with you and Shanghai Mariposai to run it with you. On the other hand, if your IQ is actually in the double digits you might just train prior to running a marathon. (Apologies to tetsujin209 who claims not to train, but runs so many marathons he basically trains by running marathons).

Holly S. looks like a great prime rib recipe!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

...CR//......try one of those Lace Up Ankle Braces if you think it's a bad sprain.....

over the years

I have accumulated enough different braces to make another person......

I call him

Renaldo Schmidtmazen.

=========

..but I digress.....

gorgeous day

66-degrees

did 66-min with trekking poles at CC Course,

and

up the sides of hills

and

places that are gonna Haunt Me when I try to get out of bed in the morning..

now, ask me if I care....

eta-

let's see

what TwoCat

thinks when trying to get out of bed tomorrow

....................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

Actually it was only 20.1

Oh...well, that explains it.  By the way--there is no way I could go 2 hours and NOT OPEN THE DOOR!

Twocat!  I've been feeling sorry for you for the last two days, because I knew you wanted to run that marathon and I thought about how hard it must be to watch Posie run it when you couldn't...and you ran it!  Good job!  I'm really happy for you...but I feel like I wasted a lot of feeling sorrying for somebody I didn't need to be feeling sorry for.  Is "sorrying" a word?

I went 12 miles today.  It was cold and windy.  There should be a rule that, when it is warm one day, it has to continue to be warm until it's time to start not being so warm any more.  I don't think I quite said what I was trying to say but don't have the energy to try to figure out the right way to say it.

Okay--I'm just babbling--I'll leave you all alone.

Oh--congratulations to Posie, too!  See ya!

wildchild

Carolyn

Twocat, congrats (I think!) on running a marathon on no training.

It's gorgeous and warm here today!  I met up with a local trail group, the Denver Trail Runners, for a trail run this morning, against my better judgement.  I've run with this group several times over the past 2 years, and they leave me behind EVERY SINGLE TIME.  But they were running at a local trail, and I thought I'd give it another try.   I started out with two women who ran my pace, and thought I'd have company for the run for a change.  But they were only doing a short run, so they turned back after 3 miles.  So I ran the rest alone.  Oh, well, I know these trails well, and had a good 15.6 mile run.   I'll stick with running with my ultra group from here on.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

68F

Sunny

Colonial Half Marathon 2016 is in the books. Every time I finish this race I say, "I am never running this again." It is the hilliest course in the world. And to add insult to injury, it was hot. And now it is over. Thank you merciful Lord.

Loved reading about Tet's adventures with his family.

Loved reading about Twocat and Mariposai's trip to NOLA! Happy belated birthday, cat man times two!

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you