Masters Running

sub 2 hour 1/2 still eludes me (Read 316 times)

well - unfortunately yesterday just was not my day to officially come in under 2 hours..............the day started off beautiful - at 8am the temps were already near 50 and sunny -- should have known as much as i like that weather it wasn't going to be my best friend for a 1/2 marathon -- even on the coast the weather was 60s, sunny, windy but not a cool feeling breeze -- definitely the total opposite of what i experienced for weather at Baystate a few weeks ago

met one of my running group friends 1/2 way to York and we drove together the rest of the way -- so nice to carpool!!

went into the expo - Katherine Switzer was there! picked up our race numbers and cool red long sleeve running race shirt .........the weather was really warming up so after doing an easy warmup with a long sleeve tech shirt we went back to the car, ditched the l.s. and headed out in our singlets .......also met up with a midwife i work with, her 2 friends and one of our OB docs

the race started off great but definitely went out too fast -- when i am going to learn to hold back????

first 5 miles i ran with my midwife friend and we averaged 8:49 -- at least 10 (15) seconds too fast for me but of course foolishly felt great!!  after that had a hard time getting back to even a 9:10 pace

guess who i saw???? MAINERUNNAH -- working the course, directing the runners - so cool!!

the water stops weren't well organized unfortunately -- and one was a tipped over table with a jug on the ground where you had to stop and scoop out  your own water!!  foolishly i didnt stop there and i was already feeling dehydrated - huge mistake.........another stop was a nice man who i don't think was even an official stop -- just a guy in front of his house with a huge water jug and cups we again could scoop out our own -- i did get some there!!

around 7.5 miles i took a hammer gel with some water but think i was already too behind on  my hydration at that point

around mile 9 they had gel and luna moons with water stop so i grabbed a package of lunar moons and took one every  once in awhile - definitely helped some but by then the wheels had fallen off -- my legs were tired, my feet hurt like they've never hurt before - not sure what that's about except i am still not loving this model of brooks adrenaline i'm running in and i never felt hydrated properly evidence by  the fact my feet were cramping big time when i finished and i was covered in salt

the hills were tougher than i expected -- actually had to take some 10 second walk breaks which i havent had to do in a long time......but i ran some of the time with my midwife friend, some time with my running group friend, and just occasionally on my own.........was fun having them around me most of the time!!

official time 2:02:33  41/103 for age group

what i learned - i definitely didnt hydrate enough on saturday and even sunday morning on the ride up should have had more gatorade/water...........need to work on hills and even more need to learn to go out slower!!

rereading this it sounds whinier than i would like so please take away my highlights as i know that is what is really important and what is inside me!!

the highlights and most important things:  i saw Mainerunnah 3 times!!, i ran with some great friends, i am healthy and love and appreciate the gift of running, and the sun was shining gloriously over the ocean on a beautiful course!!

denise

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

rereading this it sounds whinier than i would like so please take away my highlights as i know that is what is really important and what is inside me!!

the highlights and most important things:  i saw Mainerunnah 3 times!!, i ran with some great friends, i am healthy and love and appreciate the gift of running, and the sun was shining gloriously over the ocean on a beautiful course!!

Not to mention that you are running SO well lately!    You'll get that sub-2 eventually, I just know it - plus you got to see Mainerunnah 3 times!!!   Life doens't get much better than that.  Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

TammyinGP

not whiney at all!  I think you ran a very fine HM and that's a good placement! That sub 2 will come when the time is right - you are so close!  and with only 2 minutes off that sub 2, on a flat course, I bet you could do it!

congratulations! 

Tammy

deez, even though you didn't get that 2 hours, you still had a fine half.  You hit it on the head when you summarized what is really important.  Congratulations.

TomS

Tramps

Deez, that was soooo close!  One of these days the weather will cooperate (one way or another) and you'll nail it.  This sounds like a tough day (I don't like warm weather at all, so I feel for you).  But you took away some good lessons and you know that you've got a sub-2 in you.  A little patience and you'll get it.   Until then, congratulations on a very good race--especially in those conditions.

Be safe. Be kind.

#artbydmcbride

Congrats on the important part...You Saw Mainerunnah!!!  

Runners run

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good job hanging in there!  How did they advertise the hilliness of the course this year?  Last year, they implied it was not hilly at all, so my friend and I found a race person and told him we didn't think that was an accurate description!  Cool that you saw Mainerunnah!

Deez,

What a great effort! We all know that you will beat that time in the near future. The stars will line up and it'll just seem easy. Not sure why but thats the way it happens.

Congrats

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

evanflein

I agree, you'll get there. Starting out too fast is such a common mistake, we all have to learn to deal with it (hey, I'm still working on it!!). Very cool to see Bob out there so many times. You should've yelled at him to get back to posting on the daily every now and then! Congrats on a good solid half, you'll get the time you want pretty soon I bet.
                      Deez. you've been training SO hard, wish this could have been your race. But that under 2:00 is there, and you will run it soon. I don't think there's one person who posts here that hasn't gone out faster than he/she should have. But it sounds like you had a good day with friends, and you got to see Mainerunnah. Nice effort.

Marathon Maniac #957

Denise – what a sweetie you are, trying to make sure we focus on the positive, but no way do you sound like you’re whining.  I always enjoy hearing about other people’s races, what went right and what went wrong.  We all learn from your experience and/or find good reminders.  I’m sorry you didn’t get the time you wanted, but you still had a very respectable time, and in spite of difficulties  – great job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sorry you did not quite make your goal, Denise.

Stopping to drink does eat up time when you are so close to your goal and every second counts, but you have to do it- not sure about the gels, though, I don't ever use them in races.

Drop in and visit (or join us!) at the half-marathon training group if you plan to run another half.

Good job on your race, I am sure you'll get it next time.

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Deez...you did well under those conditions!  You will break 2 hrs without altering your training at all.  Each cycle you get faster and, as Tramps says, you'll find the race where it's cooler.  For me 40° in a singlet is good for a 1/2 marathon.  60°, forget it.  Everybody reacts differently to the heat.  Only 2 minutes... you can do it!

.. and going out at, or slightly slower than target pace is ok but not faster! (but you knew that)

Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

dg.

Denise, I think you did great!  Thanks for your report.  I agree, you didn't sound whiney.  Like Holly said, it's really helpful to read about what works & what doesn't.   Too bad about the water stops!  Pretty nice that guy set up his own.   Even with a lot of things working against you, you were so close to your goal! 

Congratulations!

thanks everyone -- definitely going to work on hills and progression runs!!  not sure when my next 1/2 will be but thinking either hyannis in feb. or new bedford in march - we'll see............i appreciate all the support and input - this truly is the best group ever and Simon i will check out the 1/2 marathon group too!!

denise