Masters Running

Blue & Gray Brewery Half Marathon (Read 217 times)

Tramps

Some days you’ve got it, some days you don’t. Today I nailed a local half-marathon, feeling strong from beginning to end. The weather was perfect (30F at the start) and I was able to run consistent miles, adjusting appropriately for hills. Shorts, long sleeve shirt, light gloves. As you can see below, the course is out and back. It starts the first two miles downhill, then flat/small hills for 9 miles, then back up the hill late in the race, around mile 12. (The hill goes right past a hospital ER and is the source of predictable humor.) My plan was to be at 7:30 pace after the first two downhill miles, then try to do each mile 7:30-7:40, until the last 2. I pretty much kept to that except that I was a little fast on a few miles but didn’t suffer for it. I kept thinking I probably wouldn’t be able to maintain this pace late in the race but, to my surprise, felt very good throughout, reeled in several people in the last couple of miles, and even had a little kick at the end. 1. 7:33 2. 7:24 (downhill, nice and easy, don’t go nuts) 3. 7:26 4. 7:32 5. 7:40 6. 7:32 7. 7:29 8. 7:13 (oops, hanging on to someone going a bit too fast for me) 9. 7:20 10. 7:34 11. 7:28 12. 7:54 (back up the hill) 13. 7:22 Final 1:39:01 (7:34 pace) A 3-minute PR for me and DW ran her second half ever, slashing nearly 10 minutes off her Richmond time. A very good day for running. Big grin

Be safe. Be kind.

wildchild

Carolyn

Woo hoo! Nice PRs for you and your DW! Don't you love it when everything comes together perfectly for a race?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Way to go Tramps and Mrs. Tramps! 1:39 is a very nice time. That hill at the end looks painful. Congrats on the PR!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AWESOME Great pacing and Congrats to the Mrs. too! Cool Smile Smile Smile

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

evanflein

Great job for both of you! (wow... 10 minutes off her time? that's hugh!) Tramps you've really found your stride this year and I think 2009 is going to be very good for you. Nice running in the hills!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Simply AWESOME Tramps! That was a very strong performance... so rock steady. Even the average of up and down the hill hit your mean pace! Congratulations on a HUGH 3 min PR! Congrats to your DW for her second! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

It was a great day for the Tramps family. Nice fast, consistent pace for you and PRs for both of you. Congratulations. TomS
                  Wow, you should frame those splits!! Nice job...you just keep knocking out the PR's....nice way to end 2008. Savour it!! You must be in BQ territory now, or?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

DickyG

"Redemption"...the new adventure movie about Tramps..the story of a young semi-young runner who is forced to stop short of his goals. But with grit, determination, and a beer-filled spirit, he conquers his demons not once, but twice. You are definately the man! I can only take partial credit for your fabulous performance, knowing that the memories of all my bad jokes helped propel you up that final monster hill in less than 8 minutes. Way to go, Champ... DickyG
                      Tramps, A PR? Aren't you supposed to be recovering from your marathon? No fair! Sounds like you're running in fine form. Keep it up.
                        Nice work Tramps. Congrats to you and the Mrs. Yes, those splits are very consistent.
                        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                          Great job in this race Tramps! Your splits are fanastic. Ribs was right about your hitting this half right on the money. Congratulations to Mrs. Tramps on her hugh PR! Meg

Once a runner . . .

King of PhotoShop

To me, this was like predicting Secretariat at the Belmont Stakes. Your prep for this, with the two marathons, put you in perfect shape for the Half. I didn't know your wife ran, but good for her too. A 10 minute PR suggests she will shave off even more time in the next few races. And now is your vulnerable time, and I know you know enough about it now to have a very easy and gentle December, perfect time for it too. Well done. Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow - 2 PRs in the house! Great job Tramps and Mrs. Tramps! Isn't it such a great feeling, when it comes together and you feel so strong? You hard work is paying off. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

WTG Tramps, I am soooo happy for you - and - your DW with 2 PR'S Cool. Heck dude, I wasn't falling for the "I probably won't do very well line" like you mentioned before the race. Great job, and thanks for the RR Smile Tim Hey, we need to race together some time....our 1/2 M PR's are less than a minute apart.

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!