Masters Running

Monday, May 12th Daily Thread (Read 539 times)

Good morning one and all! I will start the day and the week, knowing that there are people out there running who are waiting for someone to start. It seems like the weather is the topic of the news highlights quite often. I always think of what people from our group or runners here, is close to the current weather situation of that day. Our modern reporting doesn't let any storm system or problem go by unnoticed and the information is instant. This morning there is a massive quake in China. I also have been following record flooding in Northern Maine in Fort Kent and the St. John River Valley. North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama had tornadoes over the weekend as well as Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi and Kentucky. Wow. I trust everyone has a great week. I am coming off a very solid running week and hope this continues this week as well. Let us know what is happening. This is a great group of running friends. Have a great day.
    Vista

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Thanks Vista for starting us out with your warm words. So many poignant and thoughtful posts yesterday, and Vista, PDR, Deez4boyz, Wildchild – thank you for your kind words. Bruce Morant – congratulations on your weightloss achievement! Spareribs – congratulations on running 11-miles! It’s been a long time coming, but you have been so patient. No running for me today, and I’m still being lazy about x-training, but I did do some crunches and push-ups. I was doing some thinking about running in my new neighborhood. At my old house, I generally ran in 4-6 mile loops, swinging by my house for potty/hydration stops at the end of each loop. But my new house doesn’t lend itself to the loop concept. I find myself not wanting to drag my butt up that long hill to my house every 5 miles. This means my LRs might become out-and-backs – 2 miles down to the river, x miles up and down the river trail, then 2 miles uphill back to my house. (Running in other directions heads to streets that are too busy.) That means rethinking potty/hydration needs, mapping out restrooms or wooded areas, carrying water or stashing a bottle somewhere, and probably carrying a cellphone since I won’t be checking in with my family at regular intervals. Either that or learning to love the hill. Come wintertime, I don’t like to get so far from home when it’s really cold. Those 2-3 minute stops by the house are great for adding/subtracting layers and warming up before heading out again. At least I don’t have to worry about that for a while. Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning everyone. Rest day for me. They finally posted my exact finishing time for the 10K race which was 35.26, 5 seconds faster than I thought...I was very pleased. What a great day yesterday!! My whole family came over and I had the girls. I made bbqed turkey and rosemary pork loin with mashed garlic patatoes and taco salad. I bought the huge ice cream cake from dairy queen..yumm. Back to watching calories now...13 days to go to race day...yikes. Spareribs ...very nice long run.. Some great racing too...need to find time to read them and reply. Enjoy the day everyone. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Marathon Maniac #3309

Morning all Smile Thanks again for a great start off vista. Hope you figure your routes out Holly. Geez Tall.....you are blistering fast dude Shocked Guess I missed spareribs 11 mile run....that is super good news...he has more patience than I would have had. Well, I feel almost 100% this morning, so hopefully this week runs will be better....I desperately need some quality speed work with a few 10K races coming up. After Sat's 13 miles, I ran 6.5 yesterday in a slight drizzle which felt good, Plan on a 10 mile tempo run tonight if all systems are go. Yesterday got me thinking about my own "non" relationship with my mother (she is gone now). I didn't want to ruin yesterdays wonderful posts with something negative. But with what I am going to say is rather meant to be positive, not a bummer or negative....basically mean to say to cherish your mother - wife - and family members because not everyone has the blessed opportunity to experience this. I had absolutely no relationship with my mother.....I don't remember one hug, I don't remember one kiss, she never tucked me into bed, she didn't help me with home work, never come to one school event like track meets, football games, graduation etc. During parents night at out last home football game, I was the only one standing there by myself. We never ate together and basically me and my brothers had to fend for our selves. Even as a young kiddo, I could leave for days and my mother didn't know where i was at, and didn't care. After graduation and getting married, I tried to establish some sort of relationship....along with my brothers to no avail. The last time I saw her is when me and my (then) wife took our one year old son dressed up for Halloween and knocked on her door....she look out her blinds and wouldn't even open the door....that was the last time I saw my mom. She passed away years later, and I didn't even know she died till two weeks after the fact. Please everyone....don't take this as a negative/ depressing story, but rather a positive to cherish your moms, dads, and everyone you hold dear to your hearts. Believe or not, 3 out of us 4 brothers turned out just fine, and have good jobs and have had long standing marriages...I was married 20 years before my wife divorced me for a friend of mine, but I am happy with my life..... Just thought I would share something that was on my heart, that may help others in their relationships with family and friends.....thanks to all of you for being friends to me Smile Have a great day all, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

King of PhotoShop

Tim, that was the saddest thing I ever read. I'm sure sorry. Thanks everybody on comments about my doing a 11-miler. What I am doing is moving the weekly mileage up by 5 miles every 3 weeks, so I have two more weeks of doing 30-mile weeks until I go to 35. But I am moving the "long" run up one mile each Sunday. It was just 5 weeks ago that my long run was six miles, so it moves along pretty quickly. I maintain that with age and injury you have to take it very gradually, and even then you can never be sure. Holly, I have to say that you should embrace that hill. It will toughen you, believe me. Look at it as a plus. Someone posted here recently that they used to live near a hill and credited that constant hill running with overall race success. I forget who it was. Wild, good question. The land here in N. Texas is very flat, but there are some areas where it is hilly. Out at Lake Grapevine where I run with my club is a hilly course. I had been doing my long run on the flat dirt track and yesterday was the first one I did out there. You forget how hard hills are when you don't run them every day. Deez4, you sounded like you had the most wonderful day, as did so many of you. Taking the Saint to the airport in a minute. She is going to help Prime Rib pack up and come home from school, so he will join us end of week for the summer. I'll go out for a short recovery run later. Spareribs

Me

Good morning, Tim, that is a touching story and a wonderful lesson. Thanks for sharing it. 3 miles for me this morning. I have been eating out so much lately that I think I have added around 10 pounds (I'm afraid to get on the scale), and lugging it around is adding to the effort. Tongue cheers Mike
              dg.

good morning, Vista, thanks for starting us. your post yesterday morning was very sweet. glad you had a good running week. Holly, I missed your post but saw references to it.... from everything i've seen you should have no worries at all about being a great mom. good luck on your routing challenge! I was so happy when I found out that the river route I liked had restrooms. when I parked close to the middle that solved the water problem. that doesn't really help you, does it. Roll eyes congrats on your tall 10K Tall! Tim, I'm so sorry to hear how things were for you. (I understand that that's not why you shared it) It's great that you're happy with your life. finally back to the gym today after giving my hamstrings a break. I couldn't wait, but had such a hard time. I'm not sure why, though I have a couple of ideas. I had a time frame in mind, & I think the clocks were broken. They wouldn't move. Wink. I was happy to find out when I got home & sat down with my coffee & toast & polar that the numbers weren't bad. a mile walk, 3.64 mile run (longest post injury, at least by a little) ave. pace was 11:09. , max was 8:35. all things considered, I can live with it! I thought it was much worse. hr shows that it really was hard. ahr was 169, max 184. i've started using the log & am not sure how to classify these runs.. easy seems the obvious choice but doesn't quite fit. 2 days to catch up on, later I hope. happy monday to you all!
                  Good morning, all! Vista - thanks for starting us off with more words of wisdom this fine Monday morning - I always enjoy your posts. Holly - I second SR's opinion - embrace that hill! Tall - you are indeed blazing - enjoy the rest of your taper - you are so ready!! {{{{{{{{{{Tim}}}}}}}} sending you some of the hugs you missed out on as a child. Hope everyone had a great weekend. Jesse and I had a nice 8 mile walk on Saturday - it was a bit blustery but otherwise OK. Sunday morning DH and I hit the CC track for 20+ milers (me 20 miles and DH 20+ miles). It was a beautiful sunny day (and I have the sunburned nose to prove it) with a nice breeze blowing off the Thames River. We had ice cream from the ice cream barn both days - pralines and cream on Saturday and butterscotch swirl with hot butterscotch topping Sunday - yummy!!! We had intended to do banana splits after the long run, but we had my Mom over for Mother's Day dinner and were so stuffed that we couldn't manage more than a sundae. We'll target the banana splits after the next 20 miler. 6.5 easy recovery miles on the treadmill this morning. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

PJH

Good morning everyone! Had a great day at the Mississauga Marthaon yesterday. Nice weather at the start, but nasty wind and coolness by the end. I was there early to wish all my friends a good race. I made my way to the 32 km mark where I waited for two of my running friends to run them in the last 10 km. Seems there were three or four of us doing the same thing so we had some great conversation while waiting. One of my friends ended up qualifying for Boston. The other came up short by about two minutes, but was pleased with her race anyway. Very different when you only have to run 10 km at the end of a marathon ...you feel pretty good! Big grin Our "chronic runners" had a great day. They all performed well, got to enjoy the thrills of a marathon and were wearing their medals proudly. We were waiting for the last young lad to show up and when he saw us with about 300 meters to go, he simply put on the after-burners. I've never seen anyone in a marathon finish that fast in my life. His feet were hardly touching the ground. It was hiliarious to watch. He said afterwards that he wanted to finish strong. That was the understatement of the year. Will get out for 5-6 miles later. Have a great day everyone. PJ
                      Good Morning, Good runs, resting, workouts and very thoughtful/thought provoking posts already this morning. 6.4 easy paced miles for me. I felt a bit sluggish at first and then okay for the rest of the run. It's an overcast and windy day here with the rain staying to the South. I wore gloves since the 46F felt much colder with the wind. Tim---my mother has never said she loves me, so I say it to my kiddo every day (even when he drives me nuts). I may never know why she won't or can't express that, but I do my best to express it and demonstrate that as a mother myself. You seem to have a joy for life even without an example that came from your mother. Thanks for your post. I am home until Wednesday afternoon, so today's work uniform consists of jeans and an old sweatshirt. Smile Off to my desk I go (I need to commute up the stairs first). CNYrunner
                        Tim, that is a heartbreaking story. But the fact that you are able to discuss it openly shows that you have been able to get past it and have successfully moved on with your life. Holly, don't you know that you're supposed to check out the good running routes and then pick out a house accordingly? Sheesh! Deb, you and I are on about the same distance & pace lately. Keep watching that HR. Ribs, you're able to ramp up more quickly than I am. Hope you get up to your goal soon. When I went out to get the paper on Saturday morning, I had a rather close encounter with a coyote, of all things. I live in a very populated suburban environment, and this was the most unmistaken sighting I've had. He gave me a good look and then casually trotted off across the street towards the woods. Then the first online article I see today talks about a recent increase in coyote attacks (not in this area, but in similar surroundings). Hmmm... Ran 3.9 miles today in cool temps and a slight drizzle. Sometimes running in the rain is enjoyable and somewhat cathartic. I would have gone farther, but I'm still getting used to running on the hills again. A good start to the week. Have fun out there, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

"Rochrunner, the Coyote's after you....Rochrunner, if he catches you , you're ...."! Sorry, I couldn't resist! Maybe your coyote just can't spell! We actually have them in our area and it can be serious..... CNY
                            .......Good Vibes to tim........... .30min versaclimber...........tape job still providing relief...... (just ordered some Compression Shorts, anybody had any luck with these??) ..................good running guys.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

seemomgo

Good Monday morning all! Just caught up on the Mother's Day posts...Vista, you are remarkable. I love reading your posts first thing in the morning. Thank you for your continued uplifting posts. We all can benefit from them! Tim, thank you for sharing your story. It serves as a good reminder to all of us about the importance of nurturing and embracing those that are around us. I am sending you some seemomgo hugs right now! Ran in a 9k yesterday and then worked the remainder of the event. Fun event in Boulder, CO but a tough gravel and rock course. Ran okay, but was once again reminded about the importance of running my own race/run and not being too focused on people running the event with you. One of the last ladies to finish the event was pregnant - due tomorrow! She pushed her 2 year old in a stroller the entire way. Honestly, I thought she was going to go into labor! She told the story of how she did this event two years ago and then gave birth on the Monday after mothers day to the 2 year old!! I'll bet she has that baby today! Awesome! No run for me today - I'll walk and go to the gym.

Marathon Maniac #957

(just ordered some Compression Shorts, anybody had any luck with these??)
                                Nope - my butt is STILL too big...... Big grin More {{{{Tim}}}}}. I second what CNYrunner said, not hearing "I love you" as a child makes me say it to my own kids all the time. They even roll their eyes (affectionately) and say "I know, I KNOW, Mom, you love me all the time, even when you're mad, even when we misbehave, even when you're yelling at us, you love us ALL THE TIME, we know, we know..." Smile Sue - did you say you ran 20 miles ON A TRACK?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."