Masters Running

Frigid Friday runs & stuff 1/8/10 (Read 363 times)

Not even going to run today, but I'm being so bold as to start the daily, well, because I can.  Smile

Two-hour delay gave me time to eat breakfast at the kitchen table instead of in the car or at my desk, and to check in at Good Morning America for a few minutes.  

Rest day for me, but I want to send good wishes to everyone dealing with these record temps and snowfalls, especially our intrepid racers.

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Good morning Eliz.  Yes, everyone stay warm out there.

Not as cold here this morning, though it's supposed to be back for the weekend.  The Disney racers are going to have an interesting weekend.  I'm glad Erika and I decided not to try Goofy this year.  (She wouldn't have minded though!)

4.3 easy miles at 9:42 pace.  Just logging some filler miles today.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

It's still in the balmy 20's here, so I got out during the light dusting of snow we're supposed to get before it gets colder.

An easy, untimed 4 point something. Walt.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good morning and thanks for the kick off Eliz!

Tone zone last night.   I upped the hand weights ...   Now don't laugh ..... up to 8 pounds now.  Man, did they feel HEAVY over my head!   Hey, I started out with 5, so I think I'm doing pretty good!   I never have had much upper body strength.   She really worked our abs last night too with some new excercises.     I really would like to become more flexible too.   Guess I just need to get on the floor and stretch a few times a week, just have to be sure the dogs our outside first.  Smile

Happy Friday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Slo

Good Morning !

I sure could use some of deez4boyz's Mojo......My swimming has just plain sucked this week. Just no get-up-and-go......Set out to do a hard set of 10 x 25's and end up hanging on the wall after 6......

Tonight will be #3 of a three day running streak. I'm as giddy as a little girl.......

I've been sidelined before because of injuries......Shoulder Surgery, an Auto Accident that dislocated my hip....but I have never been sidelined because of an actual running injury.......The comeback is different.....it's harder mentally....it's worrisome.....it sucks.

There is this snapshot I have of the pain I experienced........now when I'm running, every little twinge is compared to that previous snapshot and I have to decide......go, back off, stop or check again in a little bit.

Then there are the ups. You make quick reflex type turn on the injured leg......because of recent history you brace yourself for that sharp shard of pain....but it doesn't come......you smile.....your mending and you know it.

5 weeks of recovery running almost completed !

Stay Healthy !!!!!!!!!!!! 

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Good morning.

Lift, step spin.

At least I lost a little weight this week.

I had a music ear worm this morning - no idea where it came from since I didn't hear it on the radio - don't continue reading if you don't want to be hurt.

It was ABACAB.  Yikes.

Tramps

Walt and Perch--thanks for the cautions yesterday. 

Mary--nice job on the workout; 8 pounds is a lot for that sort of thing.

Slo--woo hoo! on that running streak.  Hang in there.

Carolyn--(really bad) lice jokes courtesy of Google.

Warmer today in the upper 20s with no wind.  An inch of fresh snow on the ground and it's coming down heavily right now.  Very pretty, actually.  And not enough to interfere with running.  Cold front forecast for the weekend.  Easy 6.15 @ 8:43.

Have a good weekend!

Be safe. Be kind.

Renee the dog

Hey everybody!

Just got back from 5.9 mi in the snow.  Beautiful!  At 4 1/2 miles though I fell off a little boardwalk ramp I didn't know I was on and twisted my ankle.  I also ended up dragged face first into the snow and sand by my ever faithful, if not too swift of mind, companion, Renee.  It was odd to get up and brush a whole lot of snow and sand off of me!

Since Bayside and the kids were outside shoveling and playing, I knew they'd never hear the phone, so I decided to continue on my path and see how things went, but head towards home.  HEY, running on snow-covered sand is pretty easy on a freshly twisted ankle!  SWEET!  Ended up with 5.9 miles, so I walked 1/10 on the TM after getting home.  I want to have 7 in the books for today, so if my trail shoes dry out, I'll run Renee for another mile tonight.  Or, if my ankle is cranky, I'll at least walk it out.

Eliz, haven't been to the Wetlands Institute yet. Thanks for the recommendation!  We really have a lot available here, and now that my younger is 3 and less prone to being cranky-as-all-get-out without a nap, we're a lot more mobile!   Oh, also if you decide to do the OD 10, maybe we can run together for awhile (uh, that is if I'm not crawling after doing the Shamrock the week before LOL!!)

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning,

Just another day in paradise, 57 this morning at 5:30 am when I went out to run and a beautiful sunrise by the time I was done.

I did 8 easy miles in 1:18:45 (9:51/mi).

Started to watch the BCS game last night, but when the Texas quarterback got hurt on the first play of the game, I knew it was all over. Watched some episodes of All Creatures Great and Small instead (Netflix has it on streaming video).

Stay warm everyone and have a great day,

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Marathon Maniac #957

Tramps – 

Walt – watch out for that dangerous territory....

Mary – cheers to your growing strength.  I use fairly light weights for many of my exercises, too.  Every time I see my birthmom’s hunched back, though, I am reminded to keep at it.

Slo – I know exactly what you mean – I totally remember that feeling from last fall, when I was coming back from a tendon injury.

{{{Nono’s ankle}}}

It was 10° with 5” of new snow this morning (a lot for here).  Schools are closed and the kids are home, with DS in charge.  DH is taking off work early and will be home with them soon.

TM again, watching Season One of The X Files:

2 mile WU

6 x ½ mile at (8:00), with 2 minute recoveries

(1 min. @ 7:30/1 min. @ 10:00)  x  5

Plus CD made 7 miles total

Still spending every available minute at home vacuuming, laundering, spraying, and searching DD’s hair for nits – unfortunately, this is one time where it’s not an advantage to have such thick hair.  That headlamp I got for Christmas is coming in handy, though.

I had to tell the mother next door – DD rides in her car sometimes, and I gave her a can of lice spray for her car.  She seemed to take it well, but I’m wondering if we will be snubbed by her and her son (DD burst into tears after I had told her, afraid that her son would spread it around school and that no one will play with her now).  (sigh)

A co-worker offered to work 7-9 for me tonight, so I will only work 5-7 at the tax job – a relief to get home with a little R&R time.  This mommy is getting a little frazzled.

On the plus side, I’m down 2 lbs.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Hey gang!

SLO... you captured that comeback experience perfectly.  The major task is to convince your legs that a certain impact will not hurt.  Your brain anticipates a pain and adjusts accordingly even if it never comes.  This is where it's mind over body and you have to force it to happen until it comes natural. (as long as it really doesn't hurt)

I had the same thing today where 8:15-8:30 pace range felt like a forced tempo effort.  The brain keeps going: "this should be easier than it is"  In March this pace was low heart rate smooth cruising.

4 miles (2 slow with the dogs and 2 at 8:28). The roads we slightly wet and the temperature was dropping from 33° during the run until the wetness started getting a bit slippery.  Finished just in time.  Also went out in shorts but the wind picked up... brr that was cold.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

dg.

Cool, Eliz started the daily!  Smile   (waving...)

Short post this morning, at least that is the plan.

Slo-hand you captured that perfectly.   up on a tightrope!  Good luck be careful & yahoo!

Nono I hope you're ok!!!  I had something close to that this morning,  but no falls & no sand. 

Tet thanks for your advice yesterday.    Will probably talk to you more about this later.   Part of what you said I already do, am barefoot essentially always at home, inside & out if the weather is decent.  Except when I use a power mower.   

Mary, nope.  You are running outside much more than I am.   I am always impressed.   but thanks.    & thanks for your Bayshore sympathy.   Something will work out..    It still isn't a good time for you, is it?   A busy puppy season?

PBJ.   You knew we'd have to keep reading.   ack.

We finally have snow... but nothing compared to a lot of you have had.  Maybe 5".   It was so beautiful last night when I was shoveling... you know when everything sparkles?     But if it keeps up it's charm could fade really fast.

A rest day today, I only did about 1/2 hr. of core although I did it very carefully.   Got sidetracked by laundry & other things.   Took a long walk with Sadie.   Most folks haven't shoveled so it was at least a decent workout.

happy Friday!

Thinking about the Disney racers...   are you guys still traveling or are you there already?

Marathon Maniac #957

Dg - doesn't your DH ever shovel?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

Dg - doesn't your DH ever shovel?

Sometimes.   Actually more this year than in the past. Smile.   

I feel so bad for you & for DD.  give her a hug from me!    I'll have a glass of wine with you later, ok?

Perch, brrr!

{{{Nono's ankle!}}}

Holly - I was frazzled long ago just reading of all you are trying to accomplish.

Rest day for me, and I took full advantage of it since I didn't have to be at work 'til around 9:00.  Got up and fed the zoo around 6:00 so they'd leave me alone (theoretically), then went back to bed 'til almost 8:00.  Felt really, really good.

Another long weekend ahead of me.  Keep your fingers crossed I don't fall apart again.  Oh!  And my brother is coming up to visit, so he and my dad will be coming for dinner on Sunday and we can finally give my dad his Christmas present!! 

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance