Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 9.18.17 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sunday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (4 freak-out mom miles)
    Tramps (55 solo bike miles, starting in fog, humid throughout)
    Stumpy (fishing morning cross training with perch and coffee)
    Holly (15 miles on dead legs in 60-74° temps)
    Catwhoorg (18+ with 2X20 min tempo work, and only 4 lb weight loss)
    Tomwhite (30 min RC with 2 lb trail boots)
    Mike (7.8 miles with Ryan)

Evanflein (4.5 miles on tired but fine legs)

Congrats to your DS on his Ironman win, KSA! Sounds like a great come-from-behind victory. Based on the great photo, he seems a bit happy with the win. It’ll be interesting to see the reactions to your DD’s new book.

So sorry about Tribee’s fall, Tramps. I hope it’s a quick recovery for her. Interesting/strange bike frame.

Sounds like time well spent in a boat, Stumpy. It looks (so far) like Jose will miss your camp, but one never knows about these things till they happen or don’t.

Good work on the family room, Enke, and the hot water heater as well. I’m sure it was frustrating to go so long without it, but very satisfying to have it back. My FIL told us early on about a house that we bought that we shouldn’t try to get everything done because no matter how much we did, there would always be more to do. True enough…

Where in NJ, Wildchild? We used to live in Edison (mid-state). What Evanflein said about ‘retired and 60’…

Sounds like a reasonable plan for the bonus, Holly. I hope it comes through. Nice 15-miler in climbing temps. If running were easy, everyone would do it!

Nice run with only moderate weight loss, Cat.

Good on you for spending all that time with Pickles, Tomwhite.

Evanflein, Don't almost all of us feel we coulda' pushed just a little bit harder at any race? But you did the best you could do on Saturday, and you did great!

Tet you meet the most interesting people, even on your hikes. Glad you filed a flight plan, and had company going up and down.

The Isle of Shoals is a group of small islands (one or two underwater at high tide) 12 miles off the coast of Maine and NH. We went to Star Island, the 2nd largest (46 acres), with a beautiful, no-frills hotel and several other outbuildings, most dating to the 1950s, and a few to the 1700s. It was foggy as all get out on the trip over and back, but it cleared somewhat while we were there so at least we could see and enjoy the 2 hrs we spent on the island.

Today, I have a 65+ Running Club luncheon (with Marj & Henrun!) in Peabody (pronounced 'Peabitty'), MA, followed by a 3PM meeting back at town hall.

6.1 miles this morning, alternating miles of running and walking, in more dense fog and 64° temps. I've been in a virtual (online) challenge from Cadillac Mtn. (Acadia Nat. Park, ME) to Mt. Kathadin (also ME) - about 200 miles. I have 4 miles to go after logging today's workout, so I should check in as the 13th finisher (of over 100 participants) tomorrow. Progress has been based on daily mileage, not speed, otherwise I'd likely be at the back end of the line. Virtual challenges like this are great when you are looking for a little extra motivation.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

4.3 miles before a trip to somewhere north of Albany for a hearing with a NY agency.  Lovely.....

Tets-  My son had a long season this year and was really burned out before this race, so the win came as a surprise.  I'm not sure how many 70.3s he did-  California, Canada, Chattanooga, Atlantic City, the Olympic distance in PA which he won and a few bike races.   He doesn't want to take his pro card.  There are a lot of negatives to that.  His job allows for training (he's a partner in a commercial real estate venture in Phila where they buy up city properties and develop them) but it IS an expensive sport, for sure.

Erika- you can't even imagine what we went through raising him.  He's very, very smart and did graduate from a top prep boarding school and then UPenn (after getting kicked out of a few schools along the way for behavior) , but we had stints in therapeutic wilderness programs and the like.  He's still not the easiest.....   When he was 15 he figured out how to defeat our security system at the house using magnets, and he was going out in the night and teaching himself how to drive with our car.....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

TammyinGP

good morning all!

had a fairly busy weekend so don't think I popped in at all. Saturday, despite air quality in the 'unhealthy' range, I went out for an 8.1 mile run. Bailey and Bella each really need some exercise to burn off energy, so I took them each out for about 4 miles. Where we run at home, it's alot of tree coverage on the trails with a creek running along side the path, so the air seems cleaner at least. But after that much time out there (yes, 8 miles took me awhile!), I could feel the smokiness into my lungs, so may not have been the best choice.  
        Sunday I ended up volunteering at our cat/kitten adoption event all day. only one adoption which was disappointing considering it was so busy in the PetSmart store and with all the different organizations that were there, there were probably around 40 felines present.

Back at work today and won't be too busy of a day for me. I'm kind of at a "lull" in my workload right now which is nice, especially since i"m taking a week off coming up in a few weeks, but work can change week to week for me, but for the moment I'll enjoy being all caught up. 

Tammy

Dave59

I ran 4.06 very uninspired miles this morning.

Maybe I was just tired, or maybe work stress is getting to me. I am into a project that just keeps getting more complicated while at the same time getting pressure to wrap it up and pressure to address other projects.  I thought I was just being up front with everyone, telling them what needs to be done and how long it will take, and not stressing over it, but I think subconsciously I still worry about things.

I don't mind doing complicated work, but I don't like so many people looking over my shoulder and harassing me. I used to be able to turn on the jets and work all hours on things but those days have passed me by.  I have Netflix shows to watch in the evenings and I can't let work interfere with that!

...Very Impressive kiddo KSA.......

Pickles had blood work and her LDL was 180//////

she's having it re-checked

..hopefully

a glitch,

but potentially a New PoolRunner

=============

40-min PoolRun with letters

...........good Running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

Congrats to Jay for his NE 65+ race director award.  His Seacoast half marathon has donated just under $900,000 in 11 years and hoping to go over $1 million this year.  He gave a really nice talk, that was short and to the point.  we also heard from the BAA CEO with an intro from Dave McGillvery

no running for me today as I had a 3 meeting day - one more at 7 pm tonight 

ksa - congrats to your son and good runs to dave, tammy, and tw - where is everyone else?

marj

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Congratulations jay!

Neat geographic challenge not based on time.

KSA - when's his next one?

I bet he's beaten dozens, if not more, pros over the years.

After a feeble attempt to rain on Sunday for the first time in three months from June 17, it tried again this morning but abated within six blocks of getting out the door for another rainless five mile morning 'mute.  Now it's back to the sunshine this afternoon we're almost getting used to.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

RunnerKSA pretty incredible race your DS had there! Congratulations to him. Also, I have to say, another congratulations for figuring out how to disable your security system with magnets. Quite clever! In an evil villain sort of way, but still clever. If it makes you feel any better, given some of the stupid stunts I pulled as a teen I am really just lucky to be alive. But having survived I did okay.

TammyinGP I so wish the smoke would clear up for you, tetsujin209 and mariposai. The air being bad for so long, or even a day, is just awful. As for the kitten adoption, I suppose some drives just work out a lot better than others. If it were up to me I would be happy to help you out! I so want my DW to let us have cats again.

Dave59 I suspect you are not in a position to tell people this, but my typical phrase in a situation like yours is, "I do it, you do it, but we don't both do it." Usually gets goods results, the busy body party never wants to do it.

mrrun meetings over what? How did you get to three in one day?

coatwalker nifty challenge. I never heard of something like that. All I have ever seen are virtual 5K races and the like. I never figured out how anyone can do that. Race, without an actual race and produce anything close to race times. But your distance challenge sounds like it could be interesting. Also, thank you for the posts to make me feel better about not having a relay team this year. I am still sad about it. The weather good or bad is all part of the experience. I have run Reach the Beach in a monsoon. It is still a blast.

evanflein I am actually just impressed that you can run at all so soon after a marathon. Especially after the Equinox course! I would be off my feet for a week.

Mike E I think you might have mentioned liking to run with Ryan at some point.

stumpy77 my dad would likely have been disappointed to actually catch something. I think he just liked the idea of fishing, but not the catching part.

enkephalin man I wish my appliances would fix that easy!

wildchild one of the reasons I run, is that when I am old it is others that are frail. I want to be out on that trail you ran until I expire. Somehow I suspect you will be out there long after I am!

Tramps what a lousy way to end up on the DL. Just a fluke equipment failure.

I ran 6 with my training partner today. Deal was she talks and I listen. Talking for me is still limited. Not really much of an issue though. Generally when we run that is what happens, no matter what condition I am in.  I still enjoy running with her and miss doing so when she cannot. She is a really good inspiration in her own way. Today I ran faster than I have since the surgery and I am sure it was having her along that did it.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 run at lunch, 16 on the bike after work

Temps back up to near 90. Boo

Supposed to be August like weather all week

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Hi Friends!!   I have to admit I had a little relay envy when my friends were leaving Thurs night/Friday morning for RTB!!

My solace was a friend came up to the campground Friday night so we could do our 18 miles together Sat morning -- we were fortunate enough to head out at 7am to beat the sunshine and were treated with overcast, slightly misty, muggy miles!! It was great having company for that run!! We used mother nature's ice bath by standing in the cold Maine ocean for 10 minutes post run!! The rest of the day was filled with fun!!

KSA - huge congrats to your son winning the 70.3 IM - does he have plans for a full -  and to your daughter for her book!!

Hope Tribee's injury isn't too serious!!

Congrats Jay on your race director award!!

Erika - another strong Equinox!! If there's a Boston meet-up in October please keep me posted!!

Time for bed -- working 3 12's in a row so trying to get myself up early tomorrow (the middle day) for a run before work if we aren't hit with monsoon rains!!

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Real quick before bed--10 miles including 6 x 1 "strength" miles.

That's it--gotta go.  See ya!

spacityrunner

Back to work and back to running  at lunch.  2.3 miles, a bit under 30 minutes, as the sun was setting for the day.  Then I went to the store and bought ice cream.

Trails Rock!

Deez4boyz-  His full was the Kona World Championship in 2013.  He qualified for it at the St. Croix Half, which you can no longer do.  He did Kona injured, but still did well.  He tried another full at Tremblant in 2016 and was taking over the lead in his AG at mile 9 of the run and then wound up in the medical tent with not much memory of what happened.  It was a cold, wet day and he just got too depleted even though he did everything right as far as nutrition, etc.  He is not interested in fulls right now.  

He is going to do Monkey as his 2nd marathon, which should be interesting.  He's a little cocky...... He does train on hills, though.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

KSA, that is truly impressive about your son.

And you have a DD that just published a book?  Wowsa. I didn't read back far enough to get the low down on that.

Jay- congrats!  The virtual challenge sounds interesting, but I suppose you are more proud of the RD award!

Deez, nice 18 miler!

So what constitutes a run?

Someone said I could post even if a few yards?  Well, with the new (old) job, I had to run for the bus tonight.  I jogged down several city blocks, staying just slightly ahead of the bus until it hit a stop where I could board. Easy to do in traffic with the bus going slow.  Legs were still a bit tired and sore from the hike.

My first day at the new (old) job was fine.  They moved offices and are now located right on the waterfront in Seattle, so I have a view of Elliot Bay all day and can watch the freight trains trundle by.  Nice digs.  My boss had a baby almost 3 months ago and I think it has mellowed her a bit.  She's just too preoccupied and behind in her own work to micromanage me anymore.  Everyone seemed happy to see me again, and unlike a typical first day at a new job, I didn't have to memorize 20 new names!  By the end of the day, I felt like I had never left the company 15 months ago.  Not sure if that is a good thing or not, but it was easy to re-assimilate.

With the big rain we had today (finally!) and predicated for tomorrow, I probably won't start the bike-bus-bike commute until Wednesday.  So it is walk-bus-walk/jog until then.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Nice to feel like you've kind of come home, eh, Enke? And sure, running for the bus is still running!

5.2 miles today at the end of the day. First mile sure seemed to feel harder than it should have for almost 9 m/m, but it got better after that. Legs really are fine, just tired like I did a long run a couple days ago.