Masters Running

Saturday - 1/14/2017: has running ever helped at your workplace? (Read 39 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

posted: 9:26pm (1/14/2017)

Yep mikeE, I guess we know enough about messes.

Super-genius Christmas post

May have to read it again next Friday.

and keep handy for the next four years.

Thanks erika.
    All of a sudden, got a call on 12/22 to see if I could go to Japan for a Christmas Day meeting preceding three days of negotiations with a day off before working on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day for three more non-stoppers. It was okay with my stomach which loves all the fish delectables on the menus over here so left the next day (12/23) across the International Date Line

for Christmas Eve (12/24) arrival.
    Has your running ever helped out in your work life?
    Both of the nonstoppers featured all-nighters that went through the next afternoon.
    In both cases, dozing off-and-on my laptop at two-and-three in the morning
    would have made me scared and panicky about getting everything done

and ready in time but, as happened last year, I knew from the couple

of past 100's that nocturnal sleep-walking/running and hallucinations

while running for 36+ hours would dissipate with the dawn and the new day

could progress as if nothing had happened, . . . and, sure enough,

as happened last year too, it did, . . . . until about 2-or-3pm in the next afternoon.

ps posie - take a break and go skiing when you can.
    The slopes more than prepared me for annual
    marathons too in those days or whatever
    running you feel like.
    Missed being too busy and focused to pop in once-in-a-while
    but always love the frosty-face goddess pictures, especially
    when Tokyo is having the worst “cold” spell of the winter -
    supposed to be down to 30o tonight!
    Still seem to be missing grinning-goddess amy,
    running-skirt rosie and does Tselbs have
    any streaks still going.
    arigatou.
    ps jay - carmelized potato chips over here,
    bananas, raisins, etc.

ps leslie - have fun too in your 10x10!

same for me as mine were on 10-mile loops

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

...yep, fatozzig isn't going to hear the End of This for a while.........

.......enjoy yourself tet//..........Running always helped with the stresses of Owning my Own Business.......

although

being able to

Run AND Scream at the Top of My Voice would have even helped more

=============

..40-min PoolRun, nb, cf, ris, paw

taking Pickles to ''LaLa Land'' movie today,

she's adapting

to Being Retired slowly (only been 14-days)

everything has been

Cleaned,

Waxed,

Given to Charity,

and

ReLocated at least TWICE

...THE GOOD NEWS-

I have added Extra Work-Outs just to be SomeWhere Else

...................good running guys.........and Remember, you actually CAN Be Too Clean..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - that is a LONG workday!

Happy Retirement, Pickles!

The ice storm that was forecast was mostly a bust (thankfully) but there was still a light glazing out there, so I was still glad I got my LR done yesterday.

4 miles on the TM, followed by about 30 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Tet is back. Yay. Christmas in Japan. Since its not as much in their culture (vs USA( how is it treated in Japan?

I heard that movie is good TW. I'm too cheap to buy tickets for movies. Redbox is my limit.

Ran 5 very slow miles on some icy roads here in the Midwest with the Runners Club and 20 minutes in the sauna to warm up. I joined the board figuring I need to give a little back to this great sport. Also makes me get out for group runs which I need. We had a nutritionist speak after the run. Here was a great recipe I will try today. Take one really large sweet potato. Bake it until ready (30 min). Peel and take potato smash it and mix it with Greek Vanilla yogurt. Put in graham cracker crust and sprinkle with cinnamon. A healthy desert.

Have a great one.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I had to switch today's long run to tomorrow as I caught a mancold and needed to sleep in. But I did run 5 and they actually felt good. So wheeeeee.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Didn't get a chance to post yesterday's run -- did a 20/20/20 class at a local studio: 20 min spin, 20 muscle, 20 core/stretch then went out for a hill run. Ran 2.9 miles to Beaverbrook Rd aka "Evil Hill" named by one of my friends, did 2 passes up and back on the hill, then the 2.9 miles back to total 8.2 miles. My runs are starting to end with .2 without me even planning it that way!!

Planned on putting away the rest of Christmas and getting stuff done around the house yesterday afternoon, but another one of my males had other plans for me. My youngest son, 22 yr old, was complaining of chest "tightness" and some heartburn for a few days so he made an appointment with his primary care.  Of course he was nervous and his BP and heart rate were very high. They said he had to go to the ER for further eval so I went and picked him up and off we went. Well many tests later the dr decided it was probably acid reflux - altho even he was concerned with the high heart rate. His BP's did come down nicely, but the heart rate persisted until about 4 hours later. I think my men are really trying to test me!!

Working today and looking forward to a hosted run tomorrow.

denise

she's adapting

to Being Retired slowly (only been 14-days)

everything has been

Cleaned,

Waxed,

Given to Charity,

and

ReLocated at least TWICE

I can relate Tom. When DH retired a few years ago, he decided to "help" with the laundry while I was at work. I had a couple of things that I washed with cold water and hung to dry because of the fabric and risks of shrinking. I don't think I need to tell you what happened   When he headed into the pantry to "organize" stuff I said that's it mister! Get a hobby!! We get along really well now.

Glad your DS is okay Deez - that's really scary stuff.

Welcome back Tet! We missed you. and yes, I miss Amy and Tselbs' posts. Wish they'd pop in once in a while.

Well, those nasty folks in charge of the treadmills at the Y set the timer on each one to only half an hour (it used to be 60 minutes). I didn't know it and nearly fell off when the machine slowed to cool down mode. So I ran 30 minutes, ran some laps on the track while waiting for another treadmill to open up and ran another 30 minutes on the treadmill. 7 miles total with some core stuff after that. I think tomorrow I'm going to have to suck it up, dress in layers and run outside. Oh, and if anyone wants to know what I want for Christmas next year....

Have a great Saturday everyone.

spacityrunner

4.2 slow as molasses trail miles this morning with the running club.  These were trails I've not run before and it was fun...46f and drizzly...thats not rain, right???  

Trails Rock!

TW, I was a "ball of fire" right after I retired too, checking things off my "retirement to-do" list. It passes...

Deez, glad to hear your DS is OK. The anxiety of a health scare can probably give you an adrenaline rush that only exacerbates the symptoms!

The weather that's keeping Holly on the TM bypassed us once again, and in fact it was IRC for January out at the park: dry, mid-20s and zero wind. The club had a "timed 5K" run as a gimmick today, but I missed the turnaround and ended up at more like 3.5 miles. But it was mostly a social event anyway.

I'll probably go back out there tomorrow for a full 6 around the lake.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

flats

turtle runner eximious

I got in 12+ on the TM this morning. It's my 1st double digit run of the year.

For those of you in the midwest getting whacked with that ice storm, be careful out there. Stay inside and watch some football.

Michael

Marathon Maniac #957

Well done to all of you who got out to run with groups.  This kind of weather makes me want to stay at home in my fuzzy Grinch pants and slippers.

I got in 12+ on the TM this morning. It's my 1st double digit run of the year.

Sweet!

Deez - scary stuff - glad the outcome was good.

{{{BerthaSlayer}}}

Jlynne - start checking Craigslist in February.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Tet—you live an interesting life.

TW—if Pickles gets bored, we’ve got a whole house that could use some cleaning and organization.  (I think La-La Land would qualify as a form of torture for me.  I’m not a movie musical guy….at all.)

C-R—that does sound yummy.

Bertha—“mancold”?

Denise—glad it was just minor stuff.

Flats--football advice is good for the east coast too.   Go Pats.  (Nice 12!)

Did my first-ever 10 mile 3-miler [that sounds much more impressive], just to clock some mileage and shake the legs out.  I waited for the worst of the rain to go by and went out in the misty 37F.

Be safe. Be kind.

catwhoorg

Labrat

16.5 for me this morning.

Supposed to be going to the park with the family, but as of now, I am the only one ready to go and no-one else seems to be even thinking about getting ready

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

mrrun

welcome back tet

deez - glad your DS is ok

nice runs and walks for everyone. when i retired, the cleaning bug never hit me - wish it had

we finally had Hanukkah today - got snowed out last week, so all the new england family was here - all except henry's DD and family (and the 2 dogs).  only a little cleaning left now as they did most, as my finger ran into a knife yesterday and the knife won - i had 4 stitches.  anyway here's the GK, ages 4 - 10.

evanflein

Hi Tet! I believe that running is the only thing that has helped me do the job I do. Well, that and a very supportive DH. If I didn't have the stress outlet that running provides, I'd probably either weigh a lot more now or be on some serious medication by now (or both).

I can't wait to retire, cleaning bug or no.

I was poo-poo'ing the weather forecast here because first we were told the deep freeze was coming. Then it was going to be cold but not "that" cold but we were going to get a lot of snow last night into today. Got up this morning, and it's +10 and not snowing. Really? How do you plan for things when you just never know what the weather is going to be? So now it's snowing... I'm resisting the urge to go to the treadmill because it is above zero and tomorrow will not be (I do believe that part). But there's at least an inch of new stuff out there and it's coming down pretty hard. Do I go out? I think so... it'll be a slow slog, but gotta get outside at least once this week, right?