Masters Running

40's On the Run w/e 04/25/09 - 'Tis the (Running) Season (Read 456 times)

"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." (D.H. Lawrence) I've always loved the above quote. Welcome to a new week, folks. Did 8.31 trail miles this a.m., with an ap of 13:14. Was pretty darn happy about that. Nice and quiet out there in the woods. Only saw one other lady toward the end of my run. Tomorrow is rest day. Yea! The Hub cooked a turkey today, and is now cooking an apple sauce upside down spice cake. Mmmmmm! Later!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good Monday morning.... Another nice run for you Leslie and I'll be right over for dinner if you have any leftovers! Celebrated my daughters 18th B-Day yesterday. She was in her glory all day, thinking she is so grown up. She graduates in 4 weeks and has already informed me she is moving out the weekend after graduation. Ba, ha, ha, ha.....too funny. She is dead serious tho.... Have a great week everyone..... Jewels
      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
        Celebrated my daughters 18th B-Day yesterday. She was in her glory all day, thinking she is so grown up. She graduates in 4 weeks and has already informed me she is moving out the weekend after graduation. Ba, ha, ha, ha.....too funny. She is dead serious tho....
        Ah, the young and clueless. Wait 'til she sees that her bedroom is no longer her bedroom. That's when you get the "WTH?" look. Rest day for me, and it's absolutely gorgeous out there today. Two days in a row of beautiful weather here on the North Coast, and so early in the year - makes me suspicious that Mother Nature is up to something. Evil grin Have a great one, folks ~

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Wow, you can just feel the Spring transition in everybody in here! Ain't it Grand! Smile We officially hit "Mud Season" in a big way up here...warm weather, then big snow dump(up to 5' in some spots) for closing weekend (except for Loveland & Arapahoe Basin, who will now fight for last one closed!) Now back to warm weather - supposed to hit low 80's in Denver by Thurs. with the season wrapping up, it appears that my steady work is also coming to a close..will just have to work out something else to get me through the Summer (besides getting in more running Wink) I have this thought to organize more MT's for some of the bigger races...hmmmm Mairead & I got in more wading than running the past cpl days - & right down the middle of the street! As the snow melts rapidly & rivers form...Meanwhile, Doug & I have been gathering all of our workout equipment into one spot (big open basement!) Added some interlocking floor mats & a TV/DVD player & viola! Prolly shoulda did that looong time ago! In needing a "few things" for a more complete set up, HAD to do a little shopping @ Sports Authority, who incidentally is currently giving out Cherry Creak Sneak race entries for "qualifying purchases"...sooo, also now have chips & shirts for that this coming Sunday Wink weather peeps are saying IRC & Big Block Party are in the forecast! Big grin. Poor Doug is lamenting that I signed us up for the 5M, which is later than the 5K & "most of the beer might be gone by then!!" I'm trying to console him with that he gets to sleep in for an extra hour... Updates: our friend is doing very well & should be kicked loose for outpatient PT any day now & new Grandbaby is home & also doing well. Good sleeper already! Hope everyone has a fabulous week!!! Happy tapering Ev! & where's the concert?!? Wink Cindy
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

Easy 2 recovery, I was pretty creaky today after my 10 miler yesterday. It kinda got worse as I was on the concrete most of the day getting my planting armada ready to roll. I think the recovery run helped loosen things up. I am pretty happy with the trigger point kit Jonathan gave me. Its too simple to work Confused but it does. Sure seems to help the ol achilles. Jewels I admire your daughters independant spirit but bet she will still need mom once in a while. Wink Cindy have fun at your race, wish we could come up and do it with you guys. I always meant to ask you what Doug thinks about LoDo, we hit up REI then strolled around and I gotta admit I felt pretty redneck for those surroundings. I think tommorow we start planting, still a little on the early side but things need to be humming when we hit prime time on the 24 th with so much at stake. I dropped off the strip tiller and hooked the planter today , plugging in 12 hydraulic hoses and 3 electrical cables plus fertilizer hose. I did my little systems rundown and everything worked. Did miss one guage wheel bearing that was out but can swap out with a spare in the morning. We have to do some shuffling as we still have strip tilling to do and that takes a different fertilizer blend than what we put through the planter but I think it will all work out. Kind of a a pain but it's the only answer and the things (weather , rain, etc) that made it such also set it up nicely for planting. Looks like good winds wednesday so hopefully I can get the bugs out of the planter so Lynda can run wednesday while I catch up on some spraying. My neighbor John helped us some today, first time since he had his shoulder surgery last winter. And so it begins........ laters

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Howdy folks! Greetings from Illinois Smile. About to head out to add another "state visited" to my list...Wisconsin. Only about 30 miles. Going to the Jelly Belly factory for gifts and maybe a little outlet shopping since there is one new. Yesterday was downtown Chicago, including a coupla hours at the Art Institute so I could pretend to have some culture. Been cold and raining here...possibly mixed w/ a little snow today, so no running thus far. Looks like lots of nice trails here (we're staying N. of Chicago in Lincolnshire). Maybe in the morning...supposed to clear off just in time for us to head home tomorrow afternoon. Joe and Ev are gearing up I see , or perhaps gearing down is the better term. Good job going public w/ the goals Ev, and glad fun is a given. Jim and Lynda are gearing up in another way. Neat how you neighbors help each other out. Those are BIG favors, not just edging the lawn and such! Howdy to everyone, gotta get on the "Road to the Jelly Bellies" and be the tourist that I am.
              Progress Trumps Pefection
                Mornin' Peeps! I was running (no pun intended) late, late, late this a.m. Didn't even get out the door until after 6:00, so I pushed my 5 miles a tad. Couldn't find my Garmin 405, so I had to resort to my old standby. It took forever for that thing to catch a satellite signal. Evil grin When I got back, spent a couple more minutes looking and found the 405 squeezed between the seat cushion of our oversized chair. Wonder who put it there . . . . Roll eyes Ev - How's the taperin' comin' along? Ya all ready for Saturday? If you have the web site for the marathon handy, could you post it here? Joe - Same to you, how's the tapering? And when exactly is your race? I'll stick it on my calendar, otherwise I never remember. Had to do that with Ev's. Jim - Good luck this growing season. Hope things go great for you and Lynda. Carol - Hope the weather clears for you in IL and you get to explore some of those trails. I love museums, etc. When we go to Conference in a few weeks in Long Beach, we can't fly back until 8:00 p.m., but Conference will be over around 12:00, so we're gonna go hang out at The Getty. Went a few years ago and absolutely loved it. Free entrance and parking, but you have to make a reservation if you're coming by car for the parking. Cindy - Enjoy the mud and your new workout studio! I'm assuming Arla is still on her cruise?? And Miss Kelly must be busy, busy, busy. Later ~

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Happy Birthday to Jewels DD!! may the transition be "entertaining" to you both! Big grin Happy Touring to Carol! I'm assuming Jelly Bellies do samples!? Yes Happy Tilling Planting to Jim & Lynda! (Doug is totally unconcerned w/looking redneck anywhere! Roll eyes he just likes to see stuff) you guys doing the BB??? Happy Tapering to Ev & Joe..... Evil grin Happy Trails to Leslie!! (sounds like everything is coming together! Wink) Happy "Running in a straight line" to Arla! Stay Cool Diana (forecasting 101 in Phoenix today! Tongue ) took a few minutes to look up a few RA-ers who ran Boston yesterday.....exciting stuff!! gotta run all over the boards to get a good listing....delighted to learn that one of our local guys (who barely missed meeting Jim & Lynda @ the Bolder Boulder last year, because he'd run his wave (AA) & back out to his car for his camera & then spent the rest of the time photographing everyone else running the citizen races) smoked it (IMHO) in 2:57:33 Cool Yay! Mairead doesn't like the stuff in the basement...workout clothes = RUN! Roll eyes mta: okay, okay...so, I gave in...for an easy 4...it's just one of those "find a cloud in Colorado" kinda days Smile most of the snow has melted, still lotsa water running down the streets, paths are mud bogs, things are back to blooming & leafing out: bright red tulips & giant Hyacinth poking through snow-cone textured lawns, the still dripping pine trees are sunshiney fragrant, Yes ....the sound of chainsaws cleaning up the broken limbs from the heavy snow....
                  Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                    My race is Sunday. April 26. Start time 6:30 a.m. The ever changing weather forecast is currently low of 61F, high of 72F....19mph wind. Here's the link... www.okcmarathon.com bib # 1772 thanks for asking.
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Top 'O the World!

makes you easier to stalk track Wink
                        Wow, you can just feel the Spring transition in everybody in here! Ain't it Grand! Smile I have this thought to organize more MT's for some of the bigger races...hmmmm Poor Doug is lamenting that I signed us up for the 5M, which is later than the 5K & "most of the beer might be gone by then!!" Happy tapering Ev! & where's the concert?!? Wink
                        Spring....ah, grand indeed! What's "MT's" ? You gotta love a guy that thinks ahead like that! The concert is where ever my head is. I've got a continuous stream of music running through it. Smile Fatozzig....you've been upping the miles as of late. Gettin' in some nice runs. You've got a big run coming up don't you? 15K trail run? Is this a priority race for you? Jewels....happy BD to DD Smile Good running to you and Lynda, Jim. Good luck with planting season. I'm assuming it's corn? The wheat here in OK doesn't look too good. Very short. I think that will affect the wheat straw, does it affect the grain crop too? Carol....gettin' all cultured up at the Art Institute in Chicago. Bring me back some Jelly Bellies. Hope you get that run in up there. Tell Ophra I said "Hi". Hey to evryone else. Joe, you still out there? Hope your getting some nice relaxing time in. Arla has another big race coming up....how's the training going for that Arla? Are you done with the big runs? Later my friends.
                        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

4.3 w/ tempo. perfect weather. howdys to all, gotta run

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Ahhh feels creaky all ovah! Did P90X DVD ~after my "easy" run yesterday, then...housework.....then, DS#2 decided, in his bid to stop smoking, to take up running w/me! Sooo, he came over after work & we did a run/walk reeeal easy of 2 more miles....So! I'm gonna go stretch things out & go do it again! Tongue mta: does anybody want to see these?
                              Cindy - Of course we wanted to see pics of the new grandbaby! Oooh, what a sweetie! And good luck to you with your DS#2 stopping smoking and running with you. Ev - Yes, I have a trail run coming up May 10, a 30k/18.64 miles. It's significant in that it's my first event of the reason, and I'm hoping, hoping, hoping that this will be a nice jumping off point for ramping up the mileage for the SOB 50k in July. I totally and completely derailed at SOB, and it was my first (and so far only) DNF. Evil grin Let me set the scene for you: All of us who got pulled at the same station had to catch rides back with the workers once the station closed. I was really bummed that I got pulled (didn't make the cut off time), but wasn't surprised, but I was still pretty cranky about it. I and two other runners, one who'd stuck with me most of the run (Phil) and another butt head guy ended up in the same truck. Phil is in the bed of the truck, I'm in the backseat with a bunch of station stuff, and Butthead is in the seat right in front of me. He kept saying how it didn't bother him that he was pulled. He was glad he didn't have to finish the last nine miles. He was glad he didn't have deal with the last hill, yack, yack, yack, blah, blah, blah. I tell ya, it was all I could do to not start whacking him up side the head with a water bottle. I wanted to yell at him to shut the he!! up, that not everyone was so blase about getting yanked. Grrrrrrr! I had to keep telling myself, "Stay calm. The ride will soon be over. DO NOT hit him. Whatever you do, DO NOT hit him." Angry Big grin Hopefully, I don't see Butt Head again this year. An hour of core/strength this a.m. Was suppose to do 3 miles, as well but didn't wake up in time (I really need to start going to bed earlier). Maybe I'll get the 3 in tonight when I get home. We'll see.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Leslie, you should have whacked him...... Big grin Cindy, love the g-baby pics.......and tell your son we are all cheering him on in his quest to stay away from the smokes and pick up running. Hopefully he will get hooked! A big shout out to everyone......off to school so gotta go! Jewels
                                But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee