Masters Running

The Tuesday Daily, 10.9.12 (Read 386 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' all.

I have to say that looking at the elevations of some of your runs and races just leaves me shaking my head and thinking "never in a million years..." I give you mountain goats a lot of credit for being able to handle those assents and descents so speedily and gracefully.

After a tossy/turny night, I woke at exactly 4:00 this morning. I got dressed, fed the cat, and was out the door in 15 minutes. The longest part seemed to be waiting for Mr. Garmin to acquire a satellite signal - it probably took 2-3 minutes (it usually takes less than half a minute). It was 45F, overcast with dark, low clouds, and there was a wind blowing from the ENE. The wind was fiercest at the coast, where it was coming straight off the water with nothing to slow it down. Fortunately, I was heading south down the coast, so had a nice tailwind for a couple of miles. While there were leaves littering the streets inland where the wind was buffered somewhat by the trees, the streets at the coast were completely leafless. At one point a bird landed briefly on a wire overhead, and then took off again. It was too dark to see anything other than shape and size - it was clearly larger than a crow, but with less of a wing span and a shorter, bulkier body than a great blue. I'm thinking maybe it was some sizable owl, but it shall remain one of life's little mysteries. I worked on technique yet again today, managed some decent splits over 5.8 miles, and felt great when I was done.

Enjoy your day!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Rest day for me.  Day 2 after Steamtown Marathon.  Race report is in Pre-dawn Runners Forum.  Here is link if interested:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/PDP/forum/4d9ffec9045b441ab16131bbb3e1ea56

Basically my first marathon so a little hokey.  Missed BQ by 6 mins and change. Wink

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

4 easy miles...

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
        Tramps

Congrats on your first marathon, Joe.  How are the quads after all that downhill?  I believe PDR and WRFB (who you may or may not know) were going to run this, too.  Great temps this year!

Rain let up just before I went out for an 8-miler.  Nice blue sky by the time I was done.  Cool temps continue to make for comfortable running.

Be safe. Be kind.

...mornin' guys

.....YAY shadowrunner///////

=========

28min poolrun

.......3rd PT appoint....got some guy,

SOB hurt me.

........not real happy at the moment.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

shadowrunner congratulations on the marathon.  Nothing like an automatic PR!

Tramps gotta love it when the weather clears up on schedule like that.

Holly S. if your DD ever becomes a surgeon remind me to stay far away from her operating table!  Shocked

Spareribs happy flying!  Yech!  Plus Cleveland, do not turn on the TV while in any battleground state between now and election day!  You have been warned!  Wink

Dave59 I bet your niece was happy to happy to have company on the run way more than she was concerned about "slowing down" for the run.  If she is anything like me her daily run pace is way slower than her race pace.

fatozzig they are not called bird brains for nothing!

Mariposai no fall is not grand!  Angry  It is followed by winter which is really horrible.  Rule is anything followed by something horrible is not itself grand!

wildchild no Garmin!  Shocked  Why that is almost like not having run!

dg. hmm. with all that would a set of new paint cans been just a whole lot easier . . . Confused

rhoon phast given the distances why do you all schedule in person meetings?  Is there something that Skype or some other video meeting service would not suffice for?

Well this past Sunday my DW, her friend and I all ran the local Ridgefield HM.  My DW is running the HM in Amsterdam a week from Sunday, her friend and I the full.  Her friend did really well and clearly thinks she is on track for a PR.  I hope she makes it she is very excited about the race.

Alas, my DW and I are not anywhere close to looking for a PR.  While my DW's time in the HM was very good (below her stated goal in fact) she was complaining about her IT band and said she ended up having to walk stretches of the course.  I hope she gets it cleared up in the next week.  Something that I think may happen since this problem seems to be somewhat intermittent with her and last night she was on the TM, although using it for a fast 3 mile walk rather than a run. 

As for me, my ankle/lower leg or something is still off.  I was fine on the flats.  But the hills killed me.  On them my right leg had no power at all and some pain in my lower leg when landing on it.  My PT thinks it is a muscle problem in my calf and around my ankle.  In any case, I am back to not running.  As of now, no matter how I feel I plan to stay away from any exercise that requires extensive time on my feet until the marathon. By marathon day I am hoping that whatever this is has then cleared up once and for all.  For the race it looks like a 26.2 mile run/walk for me!  Next target:  Salvage Disney for when I try to get my Goofy medal.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

congrats on your 1st marathon, Joe! That's an impressive time and oh so close to a BQ!  I know a few folks who ran that  PDR, WRFB, Ksrunr and his wife, Julie.

Ran 5.6 miles last night. Took each dog out for their own run - 2.8 mi w/each one. 

Tonight I think I'll need to make a covering for my fall garden. I have wire hoops in place and DH bought me some vizquine yesterday. I just have one small raised garden bed that I planted lettuces, spinach and brocolli in. The days are still nice and warm - upper 70's and 80's, but nights are getting down to upper 30's. brrrrr. even had to turn on the heat this morning.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Joe - congratulations!

Twocat - hoping that resting will heal you up for the marathon.  Amsterdam - wow!

As for DD's project, I thought the dog was a lost cause, but as it turned out DD sewed the dog's head onto the cat's body...Big grin

5.5 easy-paced miles for me this morning in 38 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Awesome job there Joe for your first marathon, I will read your report soon...

Twocat, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you for next weekend.

4.3 easy miles in the dark.  I keep wanting to switch to nighttime running, but my internal clock wakes me up at 5 every morning.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

aka FlyingFinn

Congratulations, shadowrunner.

I’m far behind here again. I’ve been running almost every day but no long distances to post about.

Yesterday’s 5 were really sproinky, which probably means today will be slow.

We’re fencing (foil) 3 times a week now and enjoying it immensely. It’s been fun learning a new sport and doing it with our son. Last night there were 21 fencers. We usually do drills and footwork for an hour then set up the electronic scoring equipment and bout.

Tammy, we got down to 31 here last night so I’m sure when I check the garden this evening the flowers will be wilted. I got peppers and other tender things picked last weekend. Beets and carrots, kale and spinach are all that’s left, and they can stand some cold.

RAW 4 or so towpath miles with DH. Rest night from fencing; fence Wednesday and Thursday.

Have fun and good luck twocat and Mrs. twocat!

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

dg.

Elaine!   : D

Jay, that was lovely.   thanks.

TwoKitty...   it's worth considering.     :rolleyes:    Smile   thanks!      Yes it's on my list.     Oh, I hope you feel better.  Amsterdam, really??     Good luck to you & your DW...  have a great time.

Belated Happy Anniversary Steve!

Nancy, thanks for asking about my berry crop.   It was great!  I watered like crazy.    And the birds ate most of them.  ack.   It's ok... was probably survival for them because it was so hot & dry.    We tussled a bit over the berries (ok I stood on the retaining wall wrestling with netting, trying to suspend it above the bushes & miss the thorns, finally realized how stoopid I looked and that I was sticking a stake into my neighbor's Norway Spruce.   Got a grip & let it go ; ) ) 

Another rest day in an attempt to be smart & nip this knee thing in the bud.    though, just got an email asking if I was going to track club tonight.   hmmmmm.

Holly I feel much better now.   Honest.   Was sad about the dog.   Smile

SteveP

Fly By

Noah came by and helped make breakfast today

SteveP

Early to run but late to post. On my 6-miler this morning, it occurred to me that if it were this temperature in April after a long winter, I'd be running in shorts and shirtsleeves and loving it. Instead, with the morning temperatures having suddenly nosedived 20+ degrees, I was wearing pants, jacket, and pullover cap. But still loving it.

I'll have to catch up on what everyone's been doing lately, but it does sound like a heck of a first marathon for Joe. In my first one, I missed a BQ by just a couple of hours :-).

Go Tigers!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Ibleed, congrats on going over 1400 miles for the year to date.  Steve, nice pictures.  dg, it's good to hear from you.  rhoon, I loved the description og the flight with your son and the accompanying pictures.  Jay, way to go in your 5K, best in 5 years and 1st OA racewalker.  Slo, happy anniversay,  Twocat, nice half with your wife and friend.

Nice long runs for wild, Holly, and dg (longest in over a year).

This morning, it was in the low 40s and there was a wind.  I got in 8 miles at an 11:10 pace.  It seemed a bit hard (may have had something to do with spending yesterday helping construct a garage at the church parsonage). 

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

We tussled a bit over the berries (ok I stood on the retaining wall wrestling with netting, trying to suspend it above the bushes & miss the thorns, finally realized how stoopid I looked and that I was sticking a stake into my neighbor's Norway Spruce.   Got a grip & let it go ; ) ) 

Big grin  I'd have a tough time letting go the berries.....

Steve - OMG those are the coolest pancakes.  You are such the awesome Grampy!  Wish my kids had one like you....

DH earned points by taking DD to her soccer game tonight, since I will be taking her to a skating party for most of tomorrow night.  Trying to do some housework to make it worthwhile, but really I want to go sit and read my book. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."