Masters Running

OKCMM It Was the Best of Times. It Was the Worst of Times (Read 386 times)

Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon This was my second marathon and my second running of this particular marathon. I love OKC! My goal was as follows: 1. No injuries..........check 2. PR........................better luck next time 3. 4:15.....................better luck next time 4. 4:10.....................better luck next time 5. I'll take anything below 4:25.................better luck next time Chip time: 4:29:02 10:17 pace Had a plan (and I believe the training was in place) for 4:15:00 9:44 pace. Did not follow plan. Too many faster paced miles early in the race. What was I thinking? Confused Walk breaks began at mile 23. This race proved to be a wonderful opportunity to relearn the value of executing a good plan. Had a great time before during and after the race! I was definately enjoying the experience (and still am). Somewhere along the earlier miles of the race, a spectator had two lifesize cardboard cutouts. One of Paris Hilton, and one of some hunky guy ( I think). In a fit of exuberance, I ran over, took Paris Hilton in my arms and gave her a big kiss. This got a fun response from the runners. (I kinda got a charge out of it too!) She's taller than I thought. For some reason, along about mile 23, that stunt didn't seem quite so fun. Big grin I'm very grateful for the support from my family and friends throughout the race....this was awesome, almost overwhelmingly so. They lined the course, cheered and held signs for me at mile 13, mile 23, and again near the finish. Thanks also for the running education and support you all have provided me here at RA. Let the fun continue!
    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

King of PhotoShop

Don't fret. That's another one under your belt and I'm sure conditions were not ideal. You learned from it; that's for sure. Nice going to finish a tough race. Spareribs
        Great run even though the PR did not come. You had a blast that sure comes thru and your enthusiasm is easy to see. Sounds like a great marathon and one you really enjoy doing. Great support for you too. The next one will be better. Best Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

pfriese

evryday, your RR is a bit incomplete. Race conditions were less than ideal. Temperature at the start was 74 degrees with high humidity and a 29 mph sustained wind with higher gusts. While the wind was at your back for the first few miles, it was head-on brutal for the last half coming back into downtown. You had a great race in very tough conditions. Paul
          evanflein

Hot and windy? Ugh, Evryday, cut yourself some slack. Save the faster times for better conditions. Sounds like you had fun and ultimately, if this stuff isn't fun, why do it? Good job on this one. (Hey, at least you finished! Roll eyes )
              evryday, your RR is a bit incomplete. Race conditions were less than ideal. Temperature at the start was 74 degrees with high humidity and a 29 mph sustained wind with higher gusts. While the wind was at your back for the first few miles, it was head-on brutal for the last half coming back into downtown. You had a great race in very tough conditions. Paul
              Yeah - what Paul said! Wink Great run, Ev. I have very much enjoyed "watching" your training progress. Your consistently positive attitude is contagious and shines through even in adverse conditions. Congratulations!

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Yes the fun part came thru in your report and that is ultimately all that matters. But, there should be a fine for not mentioning the sucky weather conditions, or pictures, or a description of your race attire. I had to LOL about your stunt not seeming so brilliant by mile 23!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Tramps

Tough conditions. But you had fun, learned a lesson, and are ready to plan for the next one.

Be safe. Be kind.

Congratulations on a fine job in your second marathon, evryday. From what others have said, you battled some tough conditions. I like your pleasure in the support of family and friends and that you enjoyed the experience. Way to go. TomS
                    wildchild

Carolyn

Well, I like that you didn't do any whining about the weather, but it sounds like it was definitely a factor. But on the plus side, you had your cheering section there, and you got to kiss Paris Hilton! Cool Way to go!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Renee the dog

OMG -- too funny about the cut-outs! Sounds like you had a solid effort out there. Sorry that your 2-5 goals eluded you, but you'll get them next time, for sure! Thanks for taking the time to write up the report. It was a good read. Smile

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Top 'O the World!

...You say you carried Paris Hilton into a head wind?!?! Shocked..& still won the race?!? WOW!! You 'mazing guy!! Yes Wink I'd say you were right on track! Big Congrats!
                          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                            You stuck it out in rough conditions, finished your training and race without injury, learned a few lessons on pacing, and had a great time. That is success in my book. I love your attitude - and that's a good lesson for all of us who sometimes take this all too seriously. I see more races, more fun and better finish times in your future.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Congrats on finishing another marathon Evryday ! I think that you are a wise man in letting, not acieving some of your goals, not ruin a great experiance. As always I find your training and racing of great interest. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Marathon Maniac #957

74 degrees with humidity and high winds? Sounds like you had a smokin' time considering those conditions. Great job and congratulations on achieving the most important goal of all - finishing without injury!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."