Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 8.31.17 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone, and goodbye to August.

Wednesday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (3.1 morning miles + 2 post-work TM miles)
    Tramps (21 bike miles)
    Holly (6.7 miles)
    Marj (3 walking miles)
    Rochrunner (31 post-fog bike miles, some with the group)
    Tet (5 breezy morning miles)
    Pfriese (1000m lunch-time swim)
    Dave (stress-burning at the gym)
    Twocat (2 walking miles with DW and without tongue bolster)
    Mike (10.1 miles with 7 at tempo with hillage)
    Spacityrunner (4 evening mountain miles)

StarrRuns (9 pre-supper bike miles)

Tammy (4.4 evening TM miles)

Evanflein (5.3 evening miles at a good clip)

I’ll be happy to try Twocat’s gazpacho, maybe even this weekend. The best cold soup I ever had was a cold strawberry soup with a dab of sour cream at a steak restaurant called Pepe's just off the NE corner of Washington Square Park in NYC where Marianne McPartland used to play jazz piano. This was from the early 60s.

Lots of different ways to skin (or not) a tomato, eh?

I hope your knee stops barking, Marj.

And I hope your smoke, and the fires, clear soon, Tammy.

Good ride without and with the group, Rochrunner.

Nice celebratory 5er, Tet.

Good pool work, Pfriese.

I hope you got to go hide after working, Dave.

Congrats on the bolster removal and the good healing report, Twocat. Keep up the good work.

No more ice cream for the dog, eh Spacityrunner? Don’t tell Tag!

Well-inflated bike tires are nice, aren't they, Starr?

I hope your presentations go well today, Evanflein, and that you can get in your trail run today.

I was very tired this morning, so I slept an extra hour, and ended August with a goose-egg instead of a workout. Then the coffee filter clogged, so I had coffee dripping across the counter and onto the floor instead of into the pot when it should have finished brewing, and then my hay fever kicked in enough to make me start sweating from sneezing so much. So my day can only (has to) get better, eh?

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I hope you have a good day with the healing, Twocat.

Thanks for the good recap, Jay.

There was a light sprinkle outside this morning when I was heading out, and I chickened out and went downstairs to the treadmill.  I should have gone outside, since it didn't develop into anything.  Harvey is moving in (nothing like south Texas, of course) and we're going to have a few days of rain.

3.1 miles this morning and 2 miles this evening = 5.1       Finishes out the month with 172.9     I would have done another 1/10 if I had known that....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

4 pretty good miles this morning. 63° and foggy.

I made it to 5:00 yesterday and signed off the system. My morning email shows that a enterprise project manager asked for a status update at 5:04. Too bad for her, eh?  I've been on and off this project for 15+ months and I have 300 hours invested. But I couldn't get the time of day from anyone else when I needed it. Not even running through the building naked ringing a cowbell could get their attention.

Now "they" decide it needs to be finished in 3 days?  And oh, by the way, here is some additional functionality we need in the system? I've been around too long to get too stressed by these shenanigans, but I can't say it doesn't aggravate me.

After a couple years of mostly K-cup coffee I've decided I'd like something better.  So I dug through some unpacked boxes and found my french press.  I couldn't find my grinder though. I may have given it away.  I ordered a manual burr grinder from Amazon which should arrive today.  It'll take a couple minutes to crank the coffee beans but I didn't want to buy an expensive, noisy, electric model.  Now I just have to find some relatively fresh beans and I could be enjoying a real cup of coffee this afternoon.

Henrun

4.2 speedy (for me) miles on the local reservoir on another beautiful warming morning. I think last week's cycling was the perfect cross training and helped increase my running speed.

TammyinGP

Jay - that'll teach ya for sleeping in an extra hour eh? 

I think the best coffee ever is french pressed coffee. beats any fancy coffee machine ever. I have a small french press at my office that I should really use more often. I tend to just use the coffee machine out of pure laziness. but the couple minutes it takes to make a french press coffee is worth it. That's it. I'm making FP coffee tomorrow!

good thing I'm going to my dentist for my permanent crown this afternoon, because my temporary popped out when I flossed last night. It has been in since beginning of July so i'm sure the adhesive was not very strong anymore. I don't think it's because I was flossing too violently. 

I might hit up the gym again after work, since David won't be home for dinner anyways, so we likely won't do much. He is working/volunteering an Open House for freshman this evening.

Tammy

pfriese

Good morning.

Thanks for the daily start & summaries coastwalker. No PF pain following Tuesday's run. So, I went for my 5 mile park loop again this morning. At the park I run to/through there was a cross country meet occurring. I was able to finish before they started. I stuck around to watch the girls race while visiting with a friend whose son is on the boy's team. It was a beautiful morning for running.

Paul

I don't know how much I'll be around the next couple of weeks.  If I make it through this last deadline, I might actually survive this thing.

I saw my MAT therapist on Tuesday.  Basically I have an unstable pelvis (which I knew) and bad hip rotation on the right.  The gist is it's all putting pressure where we don't want pressure.  After a 1.5 hr assessment/"PT" session with him and 2 rounds of exercises on my own at home Tues night/Wed a.m., I was able to sit quite a bit at work yesterday.  Things started barking toward late in the day and during my dinner out with friends, but I haven't sat that much that comfortably anywhere but on my couch at home in a long time.  This morning at work I've been able to do about 1/2 and 1/2 sitting/standing.  He's asked me to not take anything for inflammation so we can make sure nothing is being masked.

I tell ya, he hit some pressure points on my ole bod that just about sent me off the table, including the spot I've been having lots of trouble with in my - eh hem - crotch area.  Holy freaking crap, it hurt!  His comment before digging into a couple of spots - "We're about to get personal here, so hold on."   I don't care how personal he gets if he can make all this go away.

No running 'til I go back and see him on the 19th and we see how things are doing. Which is fine by me at this point.  I'm so overwhelmed at work right now, I can barely think straight.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

fatozzig that is a long road you are traveling there. I hope your PT comes up with a solution that solves things once and for all.

evanflein I hope all that work for the presentation paid off.

TammyinGP treadmills are the necessity the mother of invention was talking about. As horrible as they are, they are all there is at times. Good timing on the crown. That will likely cut your time in the dentist's chair by a good 10 or 15 minutes.

spacityrunner your dogs are lucky they do not belong to my SIL. Hers seem like they are always starving! Then again they all compete in what amounts to the doggie Olympics so they are pretty fit.

coastwalker maybe you should go back to sleep? 

RunnerKSA you can never be too careful to avoid violating Rule #1. I am pretty sure I would have run on the TM too. Just for the record, tetsujin209 the rule is there for a reason. Running the rain really, really sucks!

I went for a four mile walk this morning. It was nice to get out. I still cannot talk. But mariposai was kind enough to give me a ring and deliver a monologue about her day. During the walk my surgeon called.  Why call me? What is the point? Recall that "still cannot talk" thing? It is not like he does not know that. Fortunately, he also called the house where my DW picked up the phone and got a full report from him. The tissue taken during surgery showed up with some cancer cells. On the positive front it was a small patch which did not extend down much. The surgeon thinks the surgery removed all of the cancer cells and he is not recommending any further testing. I will, however, have to see him every few months for the rest of my life. I was expecting that to be the case no matter what so it is not really news. He also cleared me for "light running" starting this weekend. My DW emphasized that meant 3 miles not 15 to 20.  Well, what can I say, she has been married to be a loooong time!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Not even running through the building naked ringing a cowbell could get their attention.

But I still think you should give it a try, eh?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

The surgeon thinks the surgery removed all of the cancer cells and he is not recommending any further testing.

YAY!!!  OMG, it just occurred to me that if the cells had spread, they could be removing your entire tongue - how awful that would be!  So glad you are cancer-free!!

Leslie - hang in there, on all the fronts.

Jay - rough way to start the day.

Tammy - you have an awesome son....

I got out a little earlier today, in a breezy 67 degrees.

7 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...what a relief twocat..........

===========

50-min PoolRun

using poolrunning belts the Y put in about 6-years ago,

at one point we had about 5-poolrunners,

this will be

my 11th year,

and I can use ANY belt I want..................they all quit

also

my new trunks stayed on,,,,,,,,,,which is re-assuring

...........wishing you Good Work-Outs and twocat solid food

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

great news TwoCat!  

I wonder if I would get any discount on my bill since I already removed the temporary crown for them? should I submit a bill for my services?

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

five morning miles in a rare mist.

After yesterday's fiver to celebrate a record 64 consecutive days of temps into the seventies, a very light micro-mist tried its best to try to get things back to the normal running-in-the-rain we're used to but, though it tried its best, it didn't work as the sun won out and Seattle's back to what we used to think summer is supposed to be like if you don't live in the PNW.  I tried to get out in the early morning darkness in the morning mist but it didn't work as the sunrise got too strong got too strong to let any little mist remain around long enough to enjoy it.

Leslie -  good idea to go on the DL until 9/19

to avoid complicating the re-evaluation.

ps - knowing you can't run should make it a lot easier

to focus on all those applications, etc.  I hope so.

good job 2C on the timely nipping the cancer in the bud.

Was it a bump or something that you first noticed?

Is your taste and talking going to be okay?

Maybe a second opinion on the four month gap,

before check-ups, at least initially, but I guess

the docs know the growth rates, etc. 
                            I'm still wondering about the ten years

between colonoscopies but, so far, so good.

good luck.

ps dave - might as well try it sometime.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

But I still think you should give it a try, eh?

How do we know he didn't?

Yes, Tammy--submit that bill!

So--Twocat--your surgeon "thinks" he got all the cancer?  Isn't that something you should know, for sure?  I really hope everything turns out for you.

I took the day off so I could go to our cross country meet, today.  We did okay, I guess.  The boys are doing slightly better than I had hoped they would, which isn't saying a whole lot.  We only had 1 guy return from our top 7 from last year so I wasn't expecting a whole lot.  Our girls, on the other hand, have all but 1 of our top runners back from last year and we picked up another really good 8th grader, so I thought we could even be competing for a top spot at State.  But our top runner from the last two years, is a sophomore and is going through that stupid girl stuff.  I have seen it so many times--a girl will be great from 7th to 10th or 11th grade, then--BAM--they just go downhill.  They work they're butts of and they go nowhere.  It's sad to watch.  And its frustrating because I don't have an answer for it.  I have heard that they just need to keep working hard and they get used to their new bodies in a couple years and they're back at it.  But, man, it's frustrating.  I'm open to any suggestions, if any of you know what can help.

Before the meet, I got in 3.9 miles, then another 2 miles between the girls and boys races for a total of 5.9.  I had to end on a .9 to make a whole number for the end of the month.

Okay--I'm on vacation, so I'd better go see what chores Debbie wants me to work on.  See ya!

catwhoorg

Labrat

DS running a fever so had to go get him from preschool, so an URD for me

A surgeon is very unlikely to say for sure he/she has got all the cancer simply due to liability issues.

The fact that  further surgery is not needed is the evidence that they are confident in the thought.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18