Masters Running

Saturday, Jan 9, Runs and Other Oddments (Read 386 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

After months and weeks of training and practice tax returns, I had my first real client last night!  I fumbled a little, but the big, burly truck driver was extremely patient with me.  Working 9-5 today, and have client #2 at 9, so I’d better scoot.

4 easy-paced miles on the TM at (10:00)

Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Yay Holly!  Her first Client!  You'll do great.

I ran in NYC 2007 when it was low 30's and chilly.  And I ran Columbus 2009 when it was about 32° and cold at the beginning.  But I swear my 11.6 mile training run this morning was the coldest I've ever been for a run.

I almost wimped out twice.  I went out to let the Garmin connect to the satellites.  But the rain and wind made me come back in and I figured I'd go back to bed.  But then I thought "Wimp.  Think about Evan, Aamos, Holly, and everyone else.  They'd go run."  So I went back out and started.  But a 1/4 mile down the street I was too cold so I came back home.

Again Evan, Aamos and Holly shamed me into trying again. This time with another layer.  The first half of the run was tough.  All into the wind with raining sideways.  I felt a little better once I made the turn around, but still cold since I was wet by then.

11.6 miles at 8:55 pace while trying to keep the effort easy.  Two hill repeats also.  I deserve a Tough Guy Weather Award for this run.  I'm still chilled two hours later and after a hot shower.  Brrrrrr

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good Morning Everyone, 

Yeah Holly !

Bill cold, rain & wind very bad.  Rain under 45F is the worst.   Way to toughen up!   

5 miles around the neighborhood w/DW 19F w/15mph breeze (see Bill 2 out of 3 ain't so bad)

Roads snow covered but not too slippery.  5 more inches yesterday, now about 20 on the ground.  Didn't wear my yaks since DW doesn't have any.

Club Chili Run tomorrow it's expected to be 6F & breezy.  Last years Chili run we had 15 inch snow (avatar)  the day before. We rent a park cabin & serve chili after the 5 mile run. 

Be Safe Out There!!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Morning gang!

Yeah Holly -congrats on the first client!!

Breger - you definitely deserve the tough guy award!

Well, I finished the Disney Half  - quite chilled (like Burger) and not sure I want to do the full marathon tomorrow.   It was cold and windy waiting in the starting corrals with intermittent sleet.  A nice lady from Florida sat next to me, and we talked nonstop which made the wait quite tolerable.   I took it very easy - set a personal worst record for this course, but I was happy to finish at all given the way I've been feeling the last week.  The lines at the end of the race were the worst I've ever encountered here - took forever to go through package pickup, and then the line for the shuttle bus was awful.  I thought I would freeze before we finally got on the bus (which wasn't heated - what's up with that??).  Now I 'm waiting for DH to finish with the shower so I can thaw as well.   It's supposed to be 27 degrees at the start tomorrow, but without precipitation, so it should be better.  I'll be going very, very slow tomorrow - time for some photo ops with the Disney characters, I think ;-).

Hope everyone else is staying warm and dry - good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Way to go Sue!  I'm proud of you because I know what you had to put up with.  You'll do great tomorrow.  Just take it easy and enjoy the experience.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

it's not raining that hard this morning so whaddya thinkin' dea italiano-san?

Bridle Trails
              Winter Trail Running Festival
              January 9th, 2010

(3:00 pm - midnight)
              "run in horse poop in the rain and dark!"

sue - congratulations on your new reverse PR.  I sincerely hope you can set another one tomorrow in the full mary.  Be sure to take your camera and stop to have other runners, spectators, etc. take photos of you with and the animateds along the way.  In the meantime, go to the thrift store, or even expensive department store, and get a warm sweatshirt, even quilt parka to stay warm and comfortable before start. Junk it when you are warm; someone'll use it. we'll be waiting for some fun pictures, . . . and some fun running.

holly, lucky burly truck driver.

uhmm, no particular reason but if I'm thinking about some clients' needs/work while running

in a $100 marathons, do you think . . . . . .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

enke, happy birthday yesterday.  You sort of sneaked that in on us.  I hope it was a good one.  Yah! Holly.  Paying clients are what you've worked so hard for.  sue, way to tough it out in the cold weather for the Disney half.  Good luck tomorrow.

breger, nice long run in the cold and wind.  Unless rain is warm and gentle, it keeps me from going out.  Good job on the speedwork, holly.

This morning,it was 12 degrees when I got up, 9 when I went out, and 7 when I finished my run.  It was almost calm and, even though the roads had hard packed snow, they were not slippery.  I got in 8 miles in a little over 1:22 for a 10:16 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

happy birthday enkalina.

stay away from the horse poop this year!

ps - i'll do it too if you can make a certain 5K on 2/13 your 2010 debut?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Holly, you remain my heroine.  I would love to pay someone to do my taxes, but DH always waits til April 15th, files an extension, and does just before the next tax deadline. Grrrr.

Bill Tough Guy, way to hang in there!  I hate rain, but cold rain is the worst.

Sue, you ran a 1/2 today, and you're running a full tomorrow????? You're starting to remind me of Holly!

My doctor is down there running it w/ his wife. Good luck to all of you!

A chilly 6 miles for me in 18 degrees this morning, followed by a mile swim.  I was going to give up the run after the first 1/2 mile, as my face was numb (needed a scarf) and my hands were also, in spite of two pairs of gloves.  But after a mile I thawed out and made it just fine.

Happy Saturday everyone!

Mariposai

Good morning gang.

Tetsujin,  are you running the Bridle Trails race with Francesca?. It sound like a fun trail race. One of this day I have to do this with Francesca.

Enkie, how great it is to see you around here again. Are you totally ouchie free?

Holly, good luck today. I know your clients will be well served. Tax preparation is a lot of work.  My DH volunteers to prepare taxes for AARP every year.  He has a week long training every years prior to tax season.

Last night my DH and I went to see Sherlock Holmes. I really enjoyed the movie. Great plot and lots of action.

Not a bad way to spend a Friday night, even when I would have much rather go to a Broadway show or a symphony instead. Oh well...such the price to pay for living in a small rural community.

Today I am having a leisurely morning with breakfast in bed, then I will do some homecaring and then go for a run.

Life is good.

Run rabbits run!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

WTG Sue!  You'll do fine tomorrow!

Breeger.. what a wimp Big grin

Tet... horse poop in the rain in the dark.. barefoot...yuk

17 miles of hillsi 17-25° which was really pushing it for me even at 10:16 pace.  Took a water bottle and had a drink at mile 9.  There was ice in it.  There is just something wrong with drinking ice water during a winter run.  Rum won't freeze right?

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Renee the dog

Sue, you know you want the Goofy medal....

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

it's not raining that hard this morning so whaddya thinkin' dea italiano-san?

Bridle Trails
                            Winter Trail Running Festival
                            January 9th, 2010

(3:00 pm - midnight)
                            "run in horse poop in the rain and dark!"

I'm going Tet...call me crazy but I'm going.....putting my gear all together just now!!! 

dg.

Ok Francie you're crazy.  Smile

I missed Enke's birthday...  happy belated!!!!    and one more Welcome Back!

Tough Guy Award for Byll.    sometimes after a run like that there is not enough hot water in the world to get warm.  take care of yourself today!  maybe even  turn on the heat! 

Holly, good for you!

Sue WTG.   It must have been so tough.   Hope you can get warm soon!

I just skimmed, so am missing a lot I know.   12F, 9 mph winds, 15 miles, will say a 10:15 ish pace.  Don't know, with my polar still out of order.    Had to backtrack to put on yaktrax but they really helped!    It was cold but not as bad as last week.   Except for when I took off my balaclava because for one mile into the sun out of the wind I felt warm & there were some others not wearing one.... then it was another 4 mile out & back with the back part into the wind.   I think I left my face back there.  :-).   But it was ok.        Sadie is going to get a walk but not until I get a nap. 

evanflein

I think Enke's birthday is in a couple weeks... right?

Yay Holly! You'll get more comfortable with it as you do more. This is one area where experience really is the best thing for getting better. Fussyrunner, we do the same thing. Every. Stinkin'. Year.

Deb, your running is just awesome these days! Keeping up those longer runs every other week or so, and staying injury free, you'll find that training for your next marathon will be much easier on you than the first. Really.

Byll, now that you're done with your run I'll tell ya... rain and driving wind at 30° would have me on the treadmill!! Good job on getting it done. And yeah, thanks for nudging that bar just a little bit higher!

I got up a little late this morning, and I'm very achy. I think the last few days of double workouts and weights has caught up to me. BUT, my foot/ankle feels pretty darn good!  This would be about the time I'd usually mess up a good recovery by going out for a 5 miler in the hills. But nope, today I'm going to work on cleaning up the house and doing some reorganizing. Well, organizing. You can't "re" do something that hasn't been done, right?