Masters Running

The Sunday Thread - Mate! 10/15 (Read 38 times)

It's showtime! Perfect race weather on tap. Looks to be sunny with dew points in the low 40s to start. DW is getting ready for the HM. I just got done with sunblock, body glide, clothing, pre race breakfast (Cliff bar) and other minor preparations. I am not sure I will get back here later today. Post race DW and I are going to try and get in one of the hot restaurants in Melbourne. No doubt us and 40,000 other people! I hope we get a table relatively quickly. They do not take reservations.

For the last time!  NOTE: The race starts SATURDAY at 4pm eastern time if you are reading this anywhere in the US. If anyone wants to follow me along on my marathon route you can do so via the Melbourne Marathon Festival app. My bib number is 289. The app should work on either an Apple or Android phone. I will also post other links later on that should track me at more than the timing mats once I figure out what they are.The race starts at 7:00am Melbourne time on Sunday (Melbourne Sunday so that will be your Saturday). To give you a better idea of what that means it starts Saturday at 4:00pm in the east coast and 1:00pm on the west coast. That means if you are reading this for the first time on Sunday the race is looooong over!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

...we have GOT to get you back in The States....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

Congrats to our down under traveler!!!

A few of us did track twocat on his victory lap in Melbourne today. I am sure he will have a story to tell us, but for now here are a few pictures of our amazing runner who, even going through cancer surgery on his tongue, was able to train and run a great race today in Australia.

Mrs. Twocat had a great race too. She ran the half marathon.

I am sure this marathon medal means a lot to Twocat (it means a lot to us to)

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Great job, Twocat! Way to come back from all you've been through!

Holly, I thought DD was getting the older vehicle and DS was getting something that got better mileage? Nice find on the car. And I love the look of concentration on your face in that pic!

So Tet has joined a fitness center. Someone please check to make sure the world hasn't stopped spinning? Don't they make you wear shoes in there??

Getting ready for the Green Mountain marathon. Bagel done, coffee done, water sipped, banana next. Might sneak back into bed for 20 minutes or so. The rain appears to be off the forecast, but it's been replaced by 20-30 mph winds with gusts over 40 mph. You've got to be kidding. The outbound trip won't be too bad (tailwind for the most part), but the return trip is gonna be a bear. I really don't run well in wind. So... this should be interesting. We run right along Lake Champlain for a lot of this race, and yesterday the wind off the lake was pretty strong.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good luck, Erika!  Have fun!

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Well done, Twocat! Good luck, Evanflein - I hope you find a big guy to block the wind for you. Right you are about TC, Tomwhite.

Saturday’s workouts:
              Tomwhite (40 min PoolRun with letters)
              Dave (12 morning miles, feeling alright)
              RunnerKSA (10.2 morning miles, including 7 with DD + breakfast)
              Opus77 (5.8 morning miles in mid-60s, dry weather)
              Catwhoorg (11 EZ miles)
              Mike (10.7 morning miles, including 5.7 of speed work with the XC team)
              Jlynne (5 miles in 52° temps, then 5 min jump-roping and core)
              StarrRuns (5 morning round-the-lake miles)
              Tet (15 bike miles in glorious Fall weather)
              Quickadder (7.3 mile morning race on roads and trail for 2/5 in M60+ AG)
              Holly (4.5 miles and a car for DD)
              Deeze (9.1 low-energy Maine miles)
              Twocat (Melbourne Marathon in 3:49)

Hang tough, Tomwhite - just a little over 2 weeks to surgery day.

Sorry about the problems for your DD, KSA. But I have a feeling she’ll do fine in the long run.

Opus77, I casually coach a small group of serious and not-so race walkers in our area.

Good luck to your DH, and to you, Jlynne, as he recovers from his knee replacement surgery.

I hear you, Tet: I don’t belong to a fitness club, nor do I have a TM, so it’s either outside or nothing for me, and I’m OK with that. You had a lot to go through to try to watch an Ironman and then didn’t. Gonna try again next October, eh?

Nice racing, Quickadder!

Great photo, Holly, tongue and all… Congrats and good luck to DD with her first car.

Thanks for all the reports about Twocat’s progress in Melbourne, and for the photos, Mariposai.

I went 10.7 miles with the racewalking goddesses yesterday, and then did another 7.2 on my own at 4:25 this morning in 59° temps and very dense fog that, of course, started to lift when I was in my last mile.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Nic RWing, Jay!

5.8 this morning.  i have a shot at catching the 2000 mile pace bunny, which was not my plan at all this year, but since I'm so close I'm starting to obsess....  I have no room for error, though.

Watched and followed the Kona Ironman yesterday remembering my 2 years (2013 and 2014) spectating there.  It is just SO grueling. The winner, Lange, was just incredible. So was Danielle Ryfe, of course, for her 3-peat.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Congratulations Twocat!  I hope you're feeling a sense of accomplishment and a lot of pride after all you've been through these last few months. And I hope you found that perfect restaurant to celebrate. Safe travels home.

Go Erika! You are an inspiration. How many marathons is this now?

Thanks for your recap Jay, and nice RWing for you this morning.

You can catch that 2,000 bunny RunnerKSA. Good luck!

It's raining, 50° and we have sustained winds of 25-30 mph. I decided today would be a great rest day. I did about 15 minutes of abs and core stuff and just started a pot of coffee. I'm going to sit down with the NY Times. That should take most of the day

Have a great Sunday everyone.

Twocat - congratulations!! Well done.

Quick check in for me - about to head to the airport.  3 day work trip to FL panhandle.  I'm hoping to get in a couple of runs in new surroundings.  May be absent for a couple of days, depending on work schedule and connectivity.

Take care all!

Congratulations, TwoCat, on your marathon that you ran today, or yesterday, or maybe it was tomorrow? Whatever... You overcame a lot to get there.

Good choice of cars, Holly. Similar to what we got our DS but definitely more reliable than his old Saturn!

Glad I wasn't running in this morning's Detroit Marathon. Where the weather is usually in the 40s (or colder), rising into the 50s, today started off in the mid-60s, cloudy, damp, and humid, with a 10-15mph wind kicking up. Ugh! I ran a 4-mile loop from home, struggling a bit, and can't imagine running 13.1 let alone 26.2 on a day like this.

I hope Erika's conditions aren't as bad as what she indicated earlier!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, I thought DD was getting the older vehicle and DS was getting something that got better mileage? Nice find on the car. And I love the look of concentration on your face in that pic!

I know, we went back and forth about that.  DD is just really intimidated by the SUV, and wanted a smaller car, and this opportunity showed up unexpectedly.  So we decided that in a year when my 2012 Elantra is paid off, we will give that to DS (sort of as a college graduation present), and get a new (used but newer) car for me at that time.  Hope you survived the winds today!

Twocat - great pictures, and well done!

10 miles for me in a very windy but warm 70 degrees.  I ran into some local runner friends along the river path (Renee, Tara and Heather) and ran with them for a few miles and caught up on things.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

catwhoorg

Labrat

11.75 with 20 min @tempo.

Was supposed to be longer, but had to cut it short to Skype with my parents

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Greetings, all.  I have, amazingly enough, an actual run to report.  At 2.2 miles and 10:30 pace, neither long, not fast, but the legs remembered how to work.

Congratulations to TC and Erika at this point on their marathons.

IDK, KSA--you don't seem like the type to obsess.   And hope that DD's path gets smoother.

Lots of miles for you this weekend, Jay.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Just a quick pop in to congratulate the racers.  Nice pics from Holly and 2cat, too!

(Did I miss Erika's results?  Hope it went well.)

48-mile ride with TriBee today.  Her first ride since her accident (she's wearing a small removable cast) so we took it nice and easy.

Be safe. Be kind.

Just saw Erika's results. I'll let her give us the details, but I'm pretty sure she was pleased with her performance. Good job!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"