Masters Running

Happy 4th of July!! (Read 449 times)

ok - I'm cheating and starting the thread with a non-running post, but I'm working a day shift today (yikes) and really wanted to wish you all a Happy 4th of July!!    Thank you to all our military serving now and who have served in the past!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Thanks for starting us Denise.  I'm about to head out for roughly 18 miles, hoping to burn off some of last night's fabulous dinner.  No alcohol, so I indulged in the white chocolate strawberry cake one of my guests brought...mmmmm, like heaven......

When it all comes down to it, I just run to eat....

The fireworks last night in Dayton were unbelieveable.  It's been years since we went to a big display, and I saw all kinds of new types of fireworks, including some that exploded into a smiley face - how do they do that?  Beautiful night, though, and the kids and adults alike had a great time.

The heat is back, with today's high forecast for 90 degrees.  Today's plans: long run, lunch, water park, nap, cookout at friends. 

Happy 4th of July!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Already got my run in earlier today...did 17 at a nice 8:07 pace.  Felt strong, but I'm not going to lie to you and tell you I feel great.  It was a long run and I definitely am feeling tired and a little fatigued from the run.  I hope everyone's 4th goes well. 

Take care Karl

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good morning and thanks for the kick off Denise!

Good luck with your 18 today Holly.    Nice speedy 17 diverdoc!!

Out for 5 humid miles this morning.   Biggest mileage week in a while - I think I found  my mojo again.  Big grin   10:41 pace, 158 avg. HR just tried to take it easy as the sweat poured off of me.   Golfing later this afternoon with friends and then dinner.   Home after that to protect the dogs from the sounds of fireworks.   I keep reminding them that they are gun dogs - but that doesn't seem to matter.

Happy Independence Day!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Went on a morning 5 mile run...Tomorrow I will be 42!
              Thanks for the start Denise. Always great to see you whether you start with a run or not. I hope work won't be too hectic today.

Ran 19.6 miles this morning with Dr. J and another K (for once I wasn't surrounded by Js) K is the race director for the 4 mile race I ran yesterday and occasionally jumps in with us.  Great chatter all the way. Good run, last miles a bit tougher as the humidity was rising. Looks like the temps next week will hit triple digits and no rain in sight. Early morning miles for sure

huskydon! Ilene! get back here and share the story. Sounds like congratulations are in order.

Happy Birthday tomorrow D. Brown and welcome!

Mellow day for us today with some fireworks viewing tonight over at UMass. Holly's plan looks good and maybe I can get a nap in there somewhere too.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

holly et al - our fireworks tonight will start off with a helicopter-borne U.S. flag but the smileys generate almost as much cheering. 

Seattle Lake Union fireworks celebration by Margret Maria Cordts. ..Smiley fireworks by zbmcfate. .

Nice going evan acing me out of the last post of the day with a tammy-like nonpost response too, to say nothing of tom getting all the oysters.  How come it takes me so long to say something the goddesses can say in nothing?

I wasn't worried tough, as our midnight 5K provides a perfect opportunity to start the daily, except when Starr went out for a moonlight run or mary gets up too early,.  Unfortunately, though I had it all to myself this morning, I fell asleep in the middle so here is my Fourth of July post.

The start announcer surprised everyone at the annual Firecracker 5000 saying it has been 5060 meters all along. Unfortunately, even with a distance factor, I still couldn't get it under 30 minutes so your AG reign continues to continue Mr. Selbs. I bet you have some good Fourth of July races in Michigan.

Somehow the Fourth of July must be made for running as it was kid's dashes, three-leggeds, etc. before I knew what running was and then the home town two miler or three miles up-and-down Mt. Marathon.  No wonder I like running even though I think I don't. 

ps ziggie - I saw one of the local WS runners (who got aced out two years ago when the fires cancelled) at the end of the Firecracker.  Though my knee is ensuring it's too late to do the Western States now, we talk about it all the time so when I greeted him and asked what his time was.  He said 23:50 which would have been about five hours faster than in 2009. Then we laughed as it was his 5K's time!  He's doing the White River 50 mile national championships I hope you can do sometime. In fact, I bet Kate's already done it.  pps - rr's are okay about crewing too, you know.  

pps ilene - at least tell us what you were wearing.

ppps husky - at least tell us what ilene was wearing

(pm me with the picture though) Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Karl,

I have been meaning to comment on those long treadmill runs you do. I bow down to you for that. 17 miles is a long way no matter how you do them but the dread mill makes them seem even longer. I hear you are on the way home (wherever that is ) hope its cooler than 112.

DBrown,

Welcome and Happy Birthday!

Holly,

have a great run and then have a fun filled day

Mary,

I gave up golf about 4 years ago. I was as addicted to that as I am to running. Unfortuantly I am to busy to do both so I picked the healthier sport. 

8.6 miles in 1:23:01 so a nice slow 9:40 pace. I did stash a bottle of water at the 2 mile mark and was I glad to pick it up on the way home! I think as much went on me as in me but it sure helped make the last 2 miles much more pleasant than last week. I am still fighting the wearing of the hydration belt until I get over 10 miles. Not sure why but I just hate carrying anything extra if it is not absolutly needed.

Kayaking then a BBQ with friends , a good way to spend the 4th.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

6.2 miles easy slow pace w/DW,  HHH  

Tet thanks for those photos

Karin you never fail to amaze us

DB Happy b-day tomorrow.  I see you're in Pensicola, did you know Roger Staubach played for the Pensicola Naval base football team?  I got to watch him play for Pensicola at Youngstown College the year after he won the Heisman.  Wild offensive game, I got to shake his hand in the locker room tunnel, I was10 yrs old  & sold popcorn at the games.      

Off to the baseball fields again!  Only one game today.

Have a Wonderful Day!!!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Thanks for the photo Tet.  I saw one at New Year's Eve for Y2K that was a huge "2000" in the sky.  I couldn't figure out how they did that.

I got out for 4 miles yesterday afternoon.  Parts felt even better than the day before so I was happy.  If I can get 4 more in today, that will be 20 for the week again....and hopefully back onto building up mileage.

Some nice long runs today!  Very inspiring.  Heat wave coming our way in a week just as we leave for vacation, yeah!

We went to a 3rd of July party last night.  My kids behaved which was a plus.  The food was great.  Half the people were speaking French and I could only pick out a word here and there, but much soccer talk.  It's a shame all those mandatory French classes in school didn't help much.  The only French I can understand is when a woman is speaking very slowly to her toddler and pointing at things at the same time.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Renee the dog

8 miles this morning mostly along the boardwalk.  Got out later than i wanted to, but it was because Bayside (aka Mr. Nono) had snuck out and went to the bakery.  And it didn't open till 6:30 so he had to wait.  Soooo, I ate a creme filled doughnut, drank some coffee, and then headed out for my first 6 alone, figuring I needed no witnesses when I cramped up and almost died from the gut-bomb attack.  Never happened!

Came back and gathered up Renee for our final 2 miles. 

Kids and Bayside went to the beach while I showered, and we just got back from almost 3 hrs mostly jumping waves.

This afternoon, we wallpaper.  Tonight, I think we have a few fireworks displays going on....hopefully one that we can see from the house. (2 of the 5 locations on the island are perfect for an upstairs deck party...)

Happy Birthday United States!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

ribs, nice 10K with AG award.  dave, sorry to hear about your tough time at Frankenmuth.  Your experience reminds me of my melt down last year at the Carrollton 20K only worse.  I hope you're ok today.  husky, nice 10K and meet up with Ilene. hopeful, congrats on biggest week in awhile. D.Brown, welcome and happy birthday.  tet, nice 5K.

Nice long runs for Aamos, Diver, and CNY.

This morning, it was about 60° and there was a little wind.  I got in 6 miles in about 57:30 for a 9:34 pace.  I included some laps on the HS track where I did 3 laps pushing a bit (sub 2 minutes which is good for me) separated by a lap at normal pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Karl,

I have been meaning to comment on those long treadmill runs you do. I bow down to you for that. 17 miles is a long way no matter how you do them but the dread mill makes them seem even longer. I hear you are on the way home (wherever that is Wink hope its cooler than 112.

Larry, 

I can't tell you why the long runs on the treadmill-O-death don't bother me.  I just listen to music and zone out.   I'm just a tad competitive so I have to put a towel across the display or I start to race myself.  Schizo?  Maybe...socially impaired?  Definitely.  Today in Kuwait it was 120 in the shade... The gym was a comfortable 70 with a few fans going. 

I should be back in Connecticut by next weekend.  There will be much rejoicing and much trail running!

Karl 

Happy fourth to all: Some nice runs in.

7.6 in the midday heat, nice 'n' slow.

Staying in tonight...experienced enough hoopla yesterday. Walt.

Dave59

Ah, the benefits of crashing at a race.  My legs aren't tired at all today.  Except for a uncomfortable blister where my big toe attaches to my foot, I feel pretty good. 

I am going to chalk up yesterday's weirdness to dehydration.  The symptom list matched what I felt: nausea, lightheadedness, leg cramps, headache, chills. 

At the race. I wore my shirt from last month's half in Deadwood and I actually ran into a woman with the same shirt.  She and the friend she was with had run the half.  We could be the only 3 people in mid-Michigan that ran in Deadwood SD last month and out of a few thousand other strangers we managed to meet.