Masters Running

Saturday 9/24 Help Me I've Fallen and Can't Get Warm! (Read 30 times)

Summer oh how I will miss you.  After today the weather forecast calls for days where it will not even crack 70!  Then there will be snow and ice and we are all going to freeze I tell you freeze! 

It is nearly 11:30 and I get to start the daily? I tell you this freezing thing has taken its toll on the running population. I went off this morning to run 17 with a goal of doing 5 at marathon pace. I made it. The 5 at MP were close but I did it. I tell you a relay like Reach the Beach is the best tempo run training. I doubt I would have made MP for all 5 miles pre relay.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

I posted this on FB, but will repeat it here....

We had to say goodbye to our beloved Max kitty today. DH, DD, her friend, and I took him to the vet today, gave him lots of good love and stayed with him to the end. He was down to 2.6 lbs, just fading away on us, and we couldn't bear to watch him diminish each day.  Like my DS said, at this point putting it off was more for us than for him. The best cat ever, hope he's in a better place now....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

spinach

I got in a race today, 5k in Freeport MN. It was my first run in a month and a half and the first run after the knee surgery three weeks ago. It went well, my time was 21:59 and I finished fourth, beaten by three 20 year olds. I managed to continue my monthly race streak, it is now 174 months. I will run another race next saturday to get October as soon as possible.

Holly, i am sorry about your cat.

Mike E

MM #5615

Holly, i am sorry about your cat.

Me, too, Holly.

Congratulations on keeping your streak going, Spinach.

Way to go Twocat!  The only good thing about it turning cold is...well, there must be something...

I spent my day at a cross country meet.  Have I ever told you guys how much I love those kids?

Max the kitty looks like he was a wonderful part of your family.  I'm sorry.

Spinach, you are so speedy!!

I did 12 trail miles at the Watershed (Tet will know what I am talking about).  Three 4 mile loops.  I haven't looked at my times, but I think each loop was slightly faster than the previous!  Getting stronger!  Who knew that actually doing the work of training would make the runs start to feel easier?  

But I need 2 more miles, actually 1.8, to hit 30 for the week, so I guess I will have to do a short recovery jog tomorrow.  Then probably a little bike ride with my sweetheart.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Well I was wrong!  Each loop was slightly slower than the previous.  Funny, as I thought I was really booking it on the last loop.  However, there was not an extreme slow down for the whole run, which I guess is good enough for me.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Sayhey! MM#130

Max is I trust now cavorting with Spencer and Wimsey, two very dear cats with lots of extrovert traits.  They just break your heart, don't they?

Well Laser Show!

Weather gave me a favor today.  Slept in, figuring I am still in recovery mode, and would just run by feel this am (DH up before 5 to ride 62 miles).  Clouds and breezes and sub 80 temps let me roll out 11 miles.  Listening to Scott Simon, not caring about pace, just appreciating the run, the birds, flowers and being alive.

Have good Sundays.

grins

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

I hope I wasn't a downer today, but thank you for letting me share.  I have to believe the Good Lord has a place for our loving fur babies, and even the scientists in the crowd can look to the first law of thermodynamics - energy is not lost or gained, but simply changes form.

Spinach - I am amazed you could race so soon after knee surgery, and so well too - well done!  And be careful!

Enke - bizarre how that works, the feel vs real pace - I am never good at knowing it.

Tonight I drove DD and 4 friends, 2 girls, 2 boys, to a supposed Crybaby Bridge (haunted bridge) out in the country on a supposedly haunted road.  Indeed, it was a spooky road, way out in the country with no street lights or markers, simply an overgrown road to a closed-off old bridge.  The kids scared the carp out of themselves and had a great time overall.  We went to McDonald's for snacks after. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly, so sorry about your kitty, he lived a good long life. It is so hard to lose a pet. Your evening with the teenagers sounds, um, interesting!

So, Spinach, you really didn't run for three weeks and then pulled off a great race? That is just incredible! I am from MN and have never heard of Freeport.

Twocat, it still feels like summer here, but I do love fall. Don't forget there is a season before winter!  Nice long run with MP miles just perfect.

Enke, that's the way it goes with me too. The effort exerted seems to make it seem like I should be running faster than I actually am.

The weather for today was for rain after 11am so I set the alarm for 6:30. Actually woke up at 4:30 and had a bagel then went back to sleep till 7:00. Wouldn't you know it started raining before I even went a mile! It was 66 with a 10mph breeze. Disregarding Running Rule #1, I kept on and it was just a short time before it quit. I ended up with 11 miles and the sun even came out. I tried to run each mile steady at 11:30 but had one bad stretch with a 12:14. Other miles were 11:24-11:25-11:27-11:07-11:36-11:50-12:14-11:29-11:28-11:56-11:51

I decided not to wear my heart rate monitor anymore. The strap has rubbed me raw in spots so it's just not necessary for me. My shoes are in need of replacements so I put a pair of Brooks in my cart at Sierra Trading Post. In a few days they will offer me a discount and free shipping, I think.

Erika, did you see that twocat said the "S" word?

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

TammyinGP

Holly, I'm sorry about having to put your pet to sleep. sounds like the best decision. having been there myself multiple times, there are times the greatest gift we can give them is to let them go when necessary.

ran a very tough trail race today. It was a 12K, but my garmin read it at 7 miles, so may have been a bit short, or all the switchbacks could have messed up my garmin reading. either way, it was long and grueling. about 5 miles uphill and then 2 downhill. there's another local race next weekend and although I was just thinking of doing the 5K, I guess after today, I might as well do the 10K. it'll feel easy compared today.  I have no idea where i placed, but I don't really care. i'm sure i was close to last in my AG.

Tammy

Mariposai

Hugs to Holly and family.

Spinach, you are one speedy racer.

Enkie, I just smile every time I read you and your sweetie doing something together.

Star, I can't wait to meet you in Portland.

Speaking of Portland, I ran my last long run today. 20 miles covering gorgeous countryside.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly - there's nothing wrong with a downer, . . . except a downer you don't tell us about.
                          He was a beautiful animal, Probably most of us have been with beloved family
                          felines and canines that same as you and share your family's sadness.
                          Oh yes, enkie, Redmond Watershed,
                          1. where my ultra mentor 100-mile Paul Piplani
                          had a doubting me run all 12 hours with him.
                          2. Also where another runner gave me
                          one of her spare thongs when one of mine broke.
                          3. To say nothing of being the last 12-hour
                          I really ran before I became like I am now.
                          HH 2-mile to MF with the only wildlife sighting being one BE (hint: national bird).
                          However, five kayaks were being launched from the USFS Glacier Visitor's Center on the way back for their up close forays only a half hour across the lake that I commented on when my three hour hike to the same revealed the risks they were taking. I returned an hour later with GS for the USFS annual end-of-the-season kids' day to see one of them through my 24X telephone lens so close to a massive two-story iceberg to be pushing off it with paddles as if totally ignorant of the fact the 14 underwater stories were melting faster than the top and could up-right at any moment and capsize, if not crush, the kayak at any second. I didn’t think I’d see anything more stupid out there than the guided group of a dozen tourists I saw on the hike being taken hundreds of feet into an equally unstable ice cave the face edge of the glacier. I was wrong.
                          My dad's friend died when he stepped out of his boat onto one for picture and it immediately rolled over in the fifties and, some thirty years later, the USFS prevailed when the heirs of a tourist killed about 100' away from the glacier died when an ice cave he was photographing exploded from the release of pent-up pressure of compressed ice becoming exposed to the surface.

"unsafe at any risk"

I can't seem to copy/past/post one but Posie's DH will get a chuckle

about GS asking one of the rangers what 'U-tree-S" means.

ps - he got his Glacier Junior Ranger patch today

by knowing the answers to all the questions

about the glacier, forests and flora and fauna.

Did you know that beaver only have webbed hind feet as clawed front feet

are for grasping the branches they swim with over to their lodges.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Holly, so sorry to hear about Max, but as Tammy said, it's the best thing we can do for our fur babies when the time comes. I remember when Midnight was telling us he was ready. The look he gave me just broke my heart, but I told him I'd let him go. It was one of the hardest things to do, up there with doing the same for both my beloved horses, 4 years apart. *sigh* They never let go of your heart though, leaving their paw prints/hoof prints there forever. Have you heard the poem of the Rainbow Bridge? I won't repeat it here, as it always brings tears to my eyes, but I believe it.

Nice job, Enke, Starr and Amy! Good long runs for both of you! And yes Starr, I saw that Twocat said the "S" word, but I'm in "La-La-La-La-La" mode and pretending not to hear it.

Spinach, holy crap you are fast, and so soon after knee surgery!

Ran 8.5 miles today, after our university's "Hall of Fame" brunch. It was nice that there were 4 athletes inducted. The year my brother was inducted (2013), there was also the team physician and the athletic trainer in the ranks of inductees. Really? That just makes no sense to me. The athletic trainer is amply compensated for doing his job. Also the doctor. Devalues the whole thing, IMO. Then I went shopping, then for my run. Felt good too with 8:17 average pace, and slower first mile and last mile (back up the hill). Hands were cold on the way out but warmed up on the way back with the breeze to my back and the sun came out a bit. Temps overall in the low 50's.

SteveP

TwoCat, when I was your age the first day of Autumn meant we had to get our trails clear of snow before we could run. None of the fancy schmancy snow plows you kids have to day. We didn't even have shovels yet. We had to use a snow stick and we liked it!!! Clearing the knee deep snow uphill in 95weather while being chased by rabid mastodons!. You don't know how god you've got it. Bah!!!

Holly, I'm very sorry about Max.

Holy Hurried Healing, Spinach.

I'd like try Enke's Watershed loop.

Amy, your run sounds nice.

We started the day by heading to GS#1 soccer match. He's usually not assertive. He wandered to the side lines by us. I told him that ball was trying to destroy his team. He took a ball to the face and our hearts stopped. He didn't even put his hands to his nose, he just turned to us while laughing.

DW and I gathered up, Tag, Honey (DD#2), Marley (DD#3) and Mia (DD#1's 18 week old pup). We headed out to a new trail. While driving with four dogs in the back seat, there was quite a bit of excitement. At one point, I exclaimed, "Who's tongue is in my ear?".

Mia had never been out on one of our adventures.

It went well.

We had very wet dogs and I put them in the back of the pick up. Honey, the beagle, decided she wasn't done and jumped out while we were ambling down the dirt road. That was pretty much the rest of the day. 3 1/2 hours later, we caught her.

SteveP