Masters Running

Sunday Dec 27 Runs and Stuff (Read 340 times)

Tramps

Good to see you all staying active and to hear from old friends who haven’t posted in a while.  Hope you folks in the midwest are coping with the storm’s aftermath.

My holiday hiatus is over.  I’m back on the road after a whole week off from running (though some x-country skiing and hiking) and too much food and drink.  (I don’t dare to step on a scale right now.)  Felt good to be out there for an easy 10 @8:28.  It’s been like an old B&W Ingmar Bergman film these last few days around here: gray, foggy, rain/drizzle, snow.  Heavy fog again this morning but the sun is threatening to make an appearance today.  My road still has icy spots but main roads are clear, though with snow banks that leave no room for safety.  Should get more melting today before the colder temps return.

Have a good post-holiday run!

Be safe. Be kind.

I Can Go The Distance

I guess it's just you and me today Tramps. Glad to hear you had a good run this morning. IRC for me this morning 50F and sunny. I did 6 easy miles in 58:32 (9:46/mi). If I can get in 7 miles the next four days I will be at 2400 for the year-a nice round number!

For all the rest of you RA Masters who are running today, I hope you have a great run and a great day!

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

evanflein

That is some nice mileage here, Bruce. I don't think I'll make 1900, but I should be close. I'm hoping for more than 100 miles this month and that'll be a "squeaker" too.

Tramps, I did step on a scale and sort of wish I hadn't. Up almost 10 pounds from my pre-RVM weight. How can you do that in less than 2 months when you're working out so much? I don't get it. *sigh*

I'm hoping for a longish run today. For me, that would be something in the 10 mile range. The day looks pretty mild and I think the plow hit the bike path last night... so an outdoor run might be in the cards. Might split it with the treadmill 'cuz the traffic and new snow are a little too much to deal with IMO.

I've been feeling a little tired and with a lack of appetite this weekend.  (Understandable I suppose given the feasts laid out before me!)  So I considered resting today.  But the weather was perfect so I decided to run and see how it would go.

The plan was for 6 miles Moderate (9-ish).  But the "moderate" pace ended up being 8:33 overall with 4 miles in the 8:15 to 8:20 range.  Oops!  I'm going to take this as a good thing.

Sometime early this week I'll pass 1900 miles for the year.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Bruce...Nice  mileage!

I'm at 1953 today.  If I stop now, that's my birth year!

2 mile walk with Tory and Sadie and when I got back my legs felt fresh so before lunch I went for a couple quick ones 8:42 (150), 8:18 (164). Now the legs feel nice and loose from the longer strides.  Somehow I ended up with 51.2 miles this week?? It's that nice trail to blame Smile

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Glorious day here in the Philly 'burbs.  Abundant sunshine, barely a cloud in the sky, temps in the mid-40s, and nearly all of the snow has melted.  Celebrated by running 5 miles, my longest run since before the 2 weeks of concert mania.  It was only half of what my long run "should" have been this week, but I felt terrific after being off-schedule for so long.  With no school this week, thus minimal time on my feet compared to when I'm teaching, I feel confident that I'll be back on track in terms of marathon training in about a week and a half.

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

It sounds like a lot of people are logging big miles for the year.  I need 12 miles to hit 1500 which I should be able to do.

Nice long runs for BC, bike, dive, and Tramps.

This morning, it was in the low 20s, there was some wind, and a light coating of snow that covered some spots I thought might be icy and, where there had been traffic, looked icy.  I got in 6 miles in about 1:01:30 for a 10:16 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

I am at LAX and about to head out. I just wanted to pop in since I may never get to write something like this again. Due to crossing the dateline I know what I will do latere today! Let me see, first DW and I will get a late breakfast at a beachside cafe. She will order egss on toast and I bananna poridge. After that we will take a walk along the beach in Sydney before leaving for the airport. Then earlier that day we will land in LAX where we are now waiting to leave for JFK! Ah the joys of 20+ hours of air travel. Oh yes, on more item before breakfast DW will go on a 4 mile run.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

2cat - I'm confused -- weren't you just in Australia?  I haven't been paying attention.

Good run for me today -- this after struggling for 10 on Thursday.  I felt very strong today, so that helps my confidence.

17.2 miles, 2:28:20, 8:38/mi, AHR 144 (70% MHR)

5@9:19(131), 7@8:40(143), 5.18@7:56(156)

Because you asked.  These and others are starting at http://www.pbase.com/lking/image/120597551

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

OMG - Nate's eyes are absolutely gorgeous! What great pictures, grandma and grandpa! Glad your run went well today Lou. How are you feeling these days, PDR?

Bruce - congrats on hitting 2400 miles this year. That's a lot of miles.

Eliz - no snow? That's almost un-Christmas like. Give me your address - the big storm last week and a small one the last few days have given us "a surplus."

Welcome back to the USA Twocat. It will be interesting to see how long it takes you to get rid of your jet lag. Ummmm - banana poridge. That sounds really good.

How are your temps Erika? Your idea of "mild" and my idea of "mild" are probably a lot different. Glad you can get outdoors for at least a part of your run.

Peppy run Breger - glad you got out today.

4 miles for me in slushy, sloppy snow and ice. I had to walk a few times on the main roads as the traffic was pretty heavy because of the Packer game and there was no where to go except on top of snowpiles.

Waiting for DS#1, DIL and baby Will to come over for our Christmas dinner. A whole tenderloin on the grill, twice-baked potatoes, green beans almondine, fresh asparagus and lemon meringue pie for dessert. Can you say "pigout?"

Have a great rest of the day everyone.

nice runs out there today and looks like some great totals coming up year's end!!

Baby nate is soooooooooooooo adorable!!  PDR you look awesome!!

what a difference a week makes - last sunday i ran in a blizzard - yak traks and so covered only my eyes were showing -- this afternoon its 50's and balmy!!   went out for an easy 5 miles - my didnt hurt at all running - but it's later that will be more indicative of how it's doing..........now time to get ready for church!!

happy Sunday friends!!

denise

Renee the dog

Something like 6 miles today -- I have been having the WORST time getting myself to run. But, on the plus side today, I did get my 3 tempo miles in.   

Beautiful pics that WRFB posted! 

Perch, I'd call it a year if I were you.  That's so symmetric. :-P

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Baby Nate is adorable!

{{{Twocat and DW}}} – I hope you can get home and rest soon – that is a LONG travel day!

17 easy-paced miles for me today (ave 10:07) in 32°, not counting several potty/water breaks, followed by walking lunges and bench dips.  

I miss the summer port-o-potties.  The woods just don’t hide so well without their leaves. 

62.5 miles this week for me, the 2nd highest mileage week ever, and I STILL managed to gain weight. 

2540 miles for me so far for 2009 – a record for me, by more than 300 miles.  That’s a LOT of running shoes……

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Not looking at the scale........scales are evil......

WRFB - greta pics of the grandparents and baby Nate.

Sounds like a lot of great running this morning and some impressive yearly totals.  Congrats one and all.

Beautiful day here in the PNW.  My run started at 18 degrees, warming to 30 when I finished.  The frost was so heavy in places it looked like it had snowed.  21 miles @ 8:06 pace (AVE HR 149) with 1100 plus feet of elevation gain and decent.  Three big climbs of over 250 ft over 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile each.  Every so often I would get a view of the snow covered Olympic Mountains, so beautiful.  Also knowing that if we lived 4000 feet higher instead of just above sea level, we would be in it.   All in all a very good run. 

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Holly, 2500+ miles is a bunch!  Way to go.  You've really been working hard and running well.

That picture with Baby Nate and the Santa hat is fabulous!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong