Masters Running

Dexter - Ann Arbor HM RR (Read 263 times)

(My first RR in a long time, so please pardon the length)

I ran this event two years ago and have pretty bad memories of it. Yes, it was a HM PR at the time, but that was my year of consistent PRs and this one was broken a few months later. It was warm and very muggy with drizzly showers, and I really struggled the last few miles. I remember a hill in the 12th mile that took what was left out of my legs, and then the last mile was a huge, continuous hill that finally broke me down to walking it partway in.

I was a bit nervous about this event since I hadn’t raced anything longer than 5K for over a year and a half, and my longest training runs were just a couple of easy 10-milers. It reminded me of why I never liked spring distance races: it’s hard to train in the winter and once spring hits there are too many other things that I need or want to do. But retirement does make it possible to be more flexible on where and when I train, and I felt like I was in shape to go 13.1 miles without embarrassing myself.

My goals: 1) Run to finish and to enjoy the beauty of the course; 2) Don’t get hurt; 3) Run at least a 2:10; 4) Try for 2:05; 5) Have a stretch goal to break 2 hours with a 9:00 pace; 6) Meet up again with the AA crew.

The event sold out earlier than ever this year. It’s capped at 2500 runners, and there are no walkers in there since they impose a 12-minute pace minimum so they can open the roads up as early as possible. MarkGuy was kind enough to pick up my packet the day before, so we met up in downtown Ann Arbor and boarded one of the fleet of busses that took us out to the high school near the small town of Dexter. Conditions were as ideal as 2007 was poor, with temperatures in the mid-50s under clear skies and a slight breeze from behind.

The race is mostly on 2-lane asphalt country roads, so it can get a bit crowded at the start. I decided to start at about the one-third point of the masses. The gun went off and we started shuffling toward the starting line, when something just didn’t feel right about the way my sock fit under the ball of my right foot. My inclination was to just go with it, but then I thought how dumb I’d feel if it really bothered me a few miles into the race when I could just fix it now – before I crossed the line. So I made my way off to the grass and refit and retied everything.

Unfortunately, that set me well back in the pack, and it was brutal for the first couple of miles. I had hoped to run a steady pace, but instead found myself stuck behind slow-moving pairs or triads, and then having to squirt through as I spotted an opening. And I won’t even comment here on the baby joggers, but do they belong in a crowded race like this?

Once we got onto Huron River Drive for the bulk of the route, I really started enjoying myself. This is a winding, scenic drive along the river with lots of shade, and a very pleasant place to enjoy our sport. My Garmin told me that I was steadily clicking off miles at a high 8:50s pace, so I started seriously calculating what it would take to break 2 hours. I’ll also admit that, as we got into the higher miles, I enjoyed looking around me at how much younger most of the other runners were, and here I was at 62, running with them or passing them.

My times stayed consistent, but between mile 11 and 12 I was steeling myself for that first killer hill, but it never came. We did go up a slight rise just before crossing under the freeway, and I tried to recall if that was the “hill” that I remembered. Then, when I saw the 12-mile marker, I knew it was time to climb that mountain to the finish. But again, I kept running and there was no hill; in fact, there was even a downgrade at one point. What gives? Did they re-grade Main Street without telling me?

Finally, I saw the final hill to the finish line. The thing is, there was no more than a quarter mile to go when I started up it. Yes, it slowed me a bit, but by this time my sub-2 was a certainty and I made it up with ease. As I approached the finish, I heard the announcer yell out “YOU CAN DO IT!!” Looking up, I realized that he meant that I could break 2 hours “gun time”, but that’s really meaningless and I only managed a 2:00:01 on that score.

My chip time – the only thing that matters – was 1:58:32, for a 9:01 pace: a pretty good match for my “stretch goal”. I was only 16 of 37 in my AG, but the top half is good enough at this stage. Afterwards, I was met in the finish area by the affable MarkGuy and the sublime dg, completing my perfect race experience in Ann Arbor and exorcising the demons of 2007.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Slo

Nice running Doug.....Great report and glad you were able to put the 2007 demons to bed.

I just raced one of the same approx distance.......I really like this distance and plan on doing more. It's a great racing distance.

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats on a great race and on another meeting with dg! You're pretty fast for an old guy!   Glad to hear that retirement is agreeing with your running schedule.   But you neglected to include a fashion report.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Great job, roch.  You did well at beating your stretch goal.  It's also neat that you got to see MarkGuy and dg.  Congratulations.

TomS

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Runner de Rochester!

This was so much fun!  I enjoyed your triumphant comeback goal smashing half marathon!

Congratulations!

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Excellent run Doug.  A sub 2-hr HM is great at any age but spectacular at 62!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I enjoyed looking around me at how much younger most of the other runners were, and here I was at 62, running with them or passing them.

So, I now know what you were thinking when you easily beat me a couple of times!! 

Seriously Doug - you did GREAT!   Wow - a sub 2:00 1/2 marathon is greata news.   Congratulations!!! 

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

“mid-50s under clear skies and a slight breeze from behind”

You are right – race day weather doesn’t get any better than that.  Extremely well done, Doug, and congratulations on smashing your stretch goal!  Add that to a meet-up with RA friends and the day is perfect!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

No, baby joggers do not belong in a race.  Unless everyone is pushing one.   

Sounds like a great day all around.  I also didn't think your report was too long! 

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

dg.

Doug.... I'm sorry to be so late to reply to this!    

You did so well!!!     Beat your stretch goal... even with being bottled in at the start.   Where is that Econo when we need her???   I wonder what she'd do about the the baby joggers?  Wink

Um, I think the hills are still there.   I saw a doozy on Huron River Drive just the other day.      You just were on top of it all.    I saw you about midway up the infamous Main Street Hill, & you didn't seem fazed in the least.   You were moving right along!  

Next time I'll spectate & picture take better.  At least... I"ll try.    This time, I had a great spot.... thought I had time to head up to the finish & catch Mark, & make it back.   I did not allow for the sidewalk bottleneck,  and then you were ahead of schedule.   Which was very cool.  Smile    Also, maybe next time, lunch wil work.

Congratulations!

Another belated reply but nice run!  Yeah, it's amazing how "hills" feel different at different stages of fitness.  Our 10k this week had advertised a big hill in the middle but I kept waiting for it, yeah there was a short small one but nothing I would have been concerned about.  Congrats on making it to that stage and overcoming the "demons" from the past!

Nice run!

rs

Troy Strawberry Festival 10k - 6/7/09 - Goal 46:xx -->46:18!!; Americana 5k - 7/4/09 - Goal 21:xx-->21:12!!; Brookville 5 miler - 7/25/09 - Goal-->34:xx-->36:21; Crim 10 Miler - 8/22/09 - Goal sub-1:15-->1:14:14!!; Alter 5k - 9/5/09 - Goal 20:xx-->20:32; AF Marathon - 9/19/09 - Goal sub-3:38 (PR)--> 3:41 (BQ)

Nice going on meeting your stretch goal.  Great RR.  One thing I noticed was that you were disciplined enough to stop and refit your shoe.  Very smart and very disciplined. 

Nice going!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                          SteveP

Boomers and crowds and hills!!!! Oh, my!!!! Thanks for the RR

SteveP

selb3

Way to go Roch - race finished, goals meet, fun had, sounds like a great day.

Dave