Masters Running

Sunday 12/9/18 Chilly Runs and Whatnot (Read 39 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Some nice racing yesterday - well done!

We really enjoyed the show yesterday, although I ate too much.  (Why, oh why did I go back to the buffet a second time?)  Most importantly, my step-folks really enjoyed it (this was our Christmas present to them).

Lovely here (for a winter day) - dry and 24 degrees when I set out, rising to about 30 when I got back a few minutes ago.  Foot is no better, but no worse, and I am taking fewer walk breaks.

7 miles total.

Here's the Rudy picture for the day - he was 10 weeks old yesterday.  He has such a great personality, feisty and frisky and afraid of nothing...

Image may contain: dog

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Thanks for starting us off, Holly. Hope that foot improves.

Did you notice the "petri pool" joke I made yesterday? TriBee has the flu. Coincidence? I'm on emergency self-quarantine measures. Fingers crossed.

Just a quick post of a 22 mile bike ride this morning. Dark, ominous clouds but we're only supposed to get a couple of inches at most from the storm later today.

Have a good one.

Be safe. Be kind.

bioguy

Thanks for the start Holy.

I ran a local 5K this morning, my first race since last April. Finished in 23:49 which was 12 seconds faster tha last year, but only good for 3rd in 55-59 and 19th overall out of 114. Two old guys came into town and ran sub 22. Race was part of our Dickens festival which drew a lot of folks to town.

2:30 video below is really funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L9dK--2bbM

Tailwinds!

Thanks, Holly and HI adorable Rudy.

Bioguy- good job on the race. Congrats on the 3rd place in the age group.  This weekend was our Dickens Festival, too, but it was awful weather and we stayed clear of it.

Didn't want to go outside (barely wintery mix but ugly and cold) and didn't want to run on the treadmill.  Treadmill won.  4.2 miles done and I'm working up to driving to the gym to do some weights.

We have 2 social events today-  an open house/birthday thing this afternoon and my husband's bicycle group potluck dinner tonight, which is usually very fun with TONS of food.

My Christmas tree cut fresh from New Hampshire is due to arrive Tuesday.  I wish I had asked for it to come a little earlier.  It seems like everyone has been "decorated" for weeks.  We are just finishing the outside lights.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mike E

MM #5615

That video is perfect!

coastwalker

Hi everyone.

Thanks for the start, Holly. I'm glad everyone enjoyed the show. Good run this AM, and 'nother good Rudy shot (can't miss, eh?).

Good luck with the rain, and with the quarantine, Tramps. I hope Tribe gets well soon.

Congrats on the fast 5K, Bioguy, and the AG award. You should never say "only" about earning an award at a race. 3rd AG and 19th OA is still pretty dang impressive. That video is great!

I could'a brought a Christmas tree from NH for you, KSA! Nice TM run.

It was 13° when I headed out this morning, and I didn't have enough stuff on my hands for them to ever warm up. So after 3.5 miles I took the short way home and ended with 5.2. It took a few minutes back indoors for my hands to warm up enough so I could untie the double knots on my shoes. Not fun. Afterwards, we got an early start on trying to get some gift shopping done today before the crowds arrived at the stores. We're not doing all our shopping on line, and are trying to support local merchants.

Have a greta Sunday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

bioguy, you have some speedy local runners. And that video is great!

Tramps: 22 miles? Pretty good ride for a December morning.

Seems strange that places in Texas are getting several inches of snow and "up north" here I have yet to get my snow shovel out.

We recently started getting a streaming service called "Kanopy" via our public library. They have a lot of old and recent movies, many of which come out of film festivals and had limited regular releases. Last night we watched one with Ethan Hawke called "First Reformed" about a pastor at an old New England church. Wow, it was a really heavy movie with an unexpected ending. Anyone else seen this?

Conditions here were like yesterday, although colder at 17F when I got out to the lake. But again plenty of warming sunshine and zero wind, so I had a good 5-mile run-with two other guys who I also ran the 5K with yesterday. Not bad for a recovery run even if a 5K isn't something you really need to "recover" from.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

..henry//.............you're gonna really like Choir......

here's a sample

of the Christmas Choir we did....it's rated ''medium difficulty'' and sounds Great.......

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QTUAJamP0VtzHeJ_137n7zn3VwxTSrcW

pass it along

to your Choir Director if you think they'd like it

eta-

love the Rudi picture

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow, it was a really heavy movie

Okay, you lost me right there....

Tramps - you reminded me that I have not had a flu shot this year.  I Googled it, and apparently it is not too late, since flu season goes until May.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

Nice racing yesterday and  hope the same for today.  Out for 3+ miles this am followed by Hanukkah party.

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, cloudy and breezy here today.  Can't decided if it wants to rain or not so it's settled for intermittent drizzles.  I chose to brave the elements (low 40s with a "feels like" in the upper 30s) and got out for 12 miles.  Went better than expected, an 8:32 pace that was charmingly consistent on the splits (other than the first mile and the next to last that includes the long climb back towards the apartment).

So one nice thing about being in the military (and assigned to an active duty base) is commissary privileges.  I picked up about 9 lbs of Boston butt (2 roasts) for $12.  I'm going to try a slow cooker recipe that sounds pretty good on one of them and if I like it (and the unit has the pot luck on Wednesday) I'll make the second one and bring them both.

Have a great day everyone!

Joe618

Afternoon all!

Falcon, thanks for sharing with us yesterday about your oldest son.   Wow, that was a long haul for you and your wife and family.  I hope your memories of him are warm.

Holly, how nice of you with the show last night!   Well done for the folks.   Glad your foot is stable...stay with it.

Bioguy, nice race!  That's a good outcome.   Hilarious video, thanks!  I'll have to go share that on my FB page.....

Got in 4.3 miles this afternoon in some sunshine.  

Official start to Boston Training starts tomorrow with Week 1 of 18 on the Hansons program.   I'm going to keep an on-line journal of the training effort on my blog...the introductory post is here.   I'll publish each Sunday evening.

Rock on,

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

wildchild

Carolyn

I met some friends at noon for a 5.7 mile trail run at Apex Park.  The trails were a bit icy, and they wanted to try screw shoes, so I brought a box of screws and a cordless drill driver with a hex bit, and told them to bring old shoes.  They called it our "arts and crafts project" at the trailhead!  The highlight of the run was seeing a large elk herd (at least 3 dozen!) at about mile 4.

Holly, Rudy is adorable!

Speedy 5k, bioguy.

Marj, I love the grandkid picture. Happy Hanukkah!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

wildchild - I agree - elk en masse

are very impressive and so are grandkids.

Steve - I hope you are not too pooped out from recapping some 220 posts last week.

Many a day I’ve done something I wouldn’t have done because of you.

Much Appreciated.  Thanks.

Sometimes I wish I wasn’t so shy and that I liked to brag but I am and don’t but, if I wasn’t and did, especially since there’s not too many 12's to run around here in the PNW and also especially in spite of vowing in the distant past to quit running if I ever got as slow as I was in this morning’s Jingle Bell 12K, I’d brag about it being the fastest 12K in six years since the 2012 Bloomsday:    Yippee!  Now I already can't wait for the 2019 BD on the first Sunday of May again.

year       event         age    time          pace
                              2007    Bloomsday    64    1:14:01    09:56
                              2012    Bloomsday    69    1:34:34     12:41
                              2015    Bloomsday    72    1:37:05    13:01
                              2018    Jingle Bell      75    1:29:37    12:02

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Great pictures, Holly and Marj!

I hope TriBee feels better soon, Tramps...and she doesn't pass it on to you.

I went 6 miles under sunny skis...I was starting to wonder if the sun still existed.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!