Masters Running

Halloween daily, 10.31.13 (Read 44 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

How 'bout them Sox, eh?

Happy Birthday to my mom (passed on in '04), and to my niece, Moriah.

Great goals achieved, IBUB, and nice ones going forward too. It would be special to run Boston with DS! Good luck to both of you.

Sounds like a good run with Trent, C-R.

So sorry for your pain, Marj, but I'm glad you've got the OK to run NYC, along with PBJ. NYC is the only big (BIG) race I've ever done (3 times, in the 90s and early years of this century), and it was always an awesome experience from start to finish. So soak it in, and have a greta time!

I'm glad you got to enjoy a beautiful sunrise on your run yesterday, Mariposai. Things like that sure make the day start better, don't they?

Nice 8er yesterday, Lamerunner. I hope you're feeling good and ready for this weekend's race. I know the time and energy you've put into it, and I know it'll be great (ee cummings said so)!

Nice intervals yesterday, Dave! If they were easy, everyone would do them!

Thanks, Tet. Thanks to Clint too!

Watch out for those gulls, Mo boy, and knives on the other side of your shower curtain too! (Hitchcock sure knew how to push the right buttons...)

Twocat is back! Congrats, Mr. President!

TW - Ogden Nash Rambler is good choice. I suspect you and he would have gotten along with each other just fine.

Have a happy flight to Moab, Holly, and a great weekend with the girrrls!

Congrats to Enke on being published! We have another star among us - Woo Hoo!!

MS - I'm glad you caught the ferry, but am sorry about the cold. If you are getting sicker as you type, STOP TYPING!!! Someday, you'll have to tell us how you feel about mainland traffic. Meanwhile, feel better.

Welcome back, BC, and cograts on getting up to 30/wk.

Foggy (of the weather variety, as opposed to the mental variety) workouts are always cool, Mike. Nice one yesterday.

Deeze, how many LaT miles do you get for all that cooking?? Good for you for taking care of your friend. But then again, isn't that just like you to do that?

Sorry about your kitty, Evanflein. Sorry about your weather too...

4.5 lackluster racewalking miles at 4:05 this morning. It was crystal clear, 33F, and there was a gorgeous sliver of yellow moon resting on it's back just above the eastern horizon. I almost didn't go out, but talked myself into it. When I got out, I found that I had no mo jo. So, instead of fartleks ("speed play"), I did whatever "slow play" is called: I racewalked, I ran, I skipped, I stopped in the middle of the road and stared at the sky, etc. It was quiet enough that I could hear 2-3 deer running away across the grass. And the small waves coming in across a gravel beach sounded like a car coming down the road, fooling me many times. I can say I was out there (DW always responds, "Yes you are!), but I can't say all that much more for today's workout.

Have a greta Halloween!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Nice write-up Jay!

I made an early trip to the gym this morning for some time on the ARC trainer and some weights.  My trips to the gym haven't been real regular lately and when I go it has been late morning or lunch time so I had to endure the "where have you been" questions from the morning regulars.  I just told them I have been (and still am) a lazy bum and left it at that.

Looks like the rain will stop in about 36 hours. Roll eyes  I hope the treat or treating kids know how to swim.

Slo

Hey gang...

Very busy last couple of days at work. Yesterdays work carried into my evening with a couple of emergency calls...It can be very difficult walking someone thru a troubleshooting procedure over the phone.

7 humid miles this am. The trickster treaters have about 50/50 chance of getting wet tonight. Which reminds me, need to lock the dog in the basement bedroom.

Yepper Jay...How about them Sox indeed. Thourghly enjoyed watching this series. Loved watching Ortiz...man was he in a zone!

Impressive review coastwalker.  Alas, I am just going to say hi and then bye to get some work done.

I decided today was to be interval day.  Out I went in the dark for 5x1000m to the high school track.  I arrived just as day broke and started going round and round.  All of the intervals were around 4 minutes which several studies have indicated is optimal for speed work.  Nobody really knows why but that is what the data shows.  My avatar got kind of dizzy from all the spinning round.  But I think he will get over it in a day or two.  Big grin

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

Good morning guys,

Just a quick post here to report just an hour of XT and to post this picture of my son David, who is in Macedonia as a Peace Corps volunteer.

This was his Halloween Custom. Speaking of Halloween, you guys should see the Twocat's Halloween village. It is mighty impressive. I had a blast helping twocat put up his village this year.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Congrats to Enke.  Cute AND smart too!

Twocat, the logic about the four minutes is that it's long enough to give you lots of work, but short enough such that you don't go too deep into oxygen debt and have to curtail the workout. Jack Daniels suggests 5 minutes as the upper limit of such sessions for that reason. After 5 minutes you need complete recovery, rather than say a jog interval of some fixed distance.  I like your workout a lot and often do the same one, 800's with a 400 jog recovery.

Just 3.8 today at a brisk pace, but not feeling too energetic. The entire week has been this way, which worries me a bit as I have the Dallas Running Club Half on Sunday.  Spareribs

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Jay, that may not have been the workout you wanted, but it sounds like a beautiful morning outing regardless.

Actually driving into the office today, as dressing up for Hallowe'en is mandatory for management.  As soon as they said, "mandatory," I baulked and got all grumpy about it.  I've never been able to top that Beaker costume from '09 or so.  So, I'm a flapper, with bad finger-waves, and too much makeup.  It looked kind of cute in the bathroom mirror, but rather haggard up here in the harsh light of day.

I'm getting too old for this.  Too bad that cold didn't settle in well enough for me to call in sick with a good conscience.

Will go to the Y tonight after I've come home and scrubbed my face.  Makeup and gym-sweat:  bad combo.

Marathon Maniac #957

Nice write-up Jay!

+1

Mariposai - nice picture!

Busy day today, even though I took the day off.  DD has her first school dance, a Halloween Dance, directly after school, so I helped her carefully pack everything she needs for her cave woman costume, sewed bones onto her belt, and put her hair so she can insert bones there when she puts her costume on after school.  Then I ran to the store for last-minute items, visited my old boss in a rehab center (she had a stroke), and then got Subway for both kids to have after school and for me to take on the airplane.  I took a 6" sub to DD at school for a treat and to say goodbye before I leave, which may not have been a good idea because she cried a little...age 11, she's still a bit of a momma's girl.  But she'll be fine, and likely will barely give me a thought when I am gone.  Roll eyes

4 easy paced miles for me this morning on the TM.

Am I the only one who takes FOREVER to pack?  Off to try and fit the kitchen sink into my carry-on....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

shadow, good job at MCM nursing your ankle.  ibleed, great job on the weight loss.  enke, congrats on the article.  marj, wishing you good luck at NY marathon after fighting with shin splints.  Holly, enjoy your weekend with your friends.

Nice long runs for PBJ, evan, and Tramps.  Good job on the speedwork for mari, Dave, and Twocat.

This morning, there were thunderstorms and it was windy.  I went to the basement and the TM for the first time in a long time.  After 5 miles at 5.4 mph (11:06/mile), I called it quits.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

C-R

Hi All,

Wow Jay. Lots of writing and a workout  too and all before 7am!

Nice pic Mariposai. Too funny.

Hey Holly - congrats on the kiddo getting into NHS.

I'm with you Tom - I hit the TM at lunch as it has been raining since yesterday with no relief in sight. Trick or Treat in our city has been moved to Friday. Which means I can give out beers to my friends walking with their kids. Oh yeah. Come to our house and everyone wins.

I'll run again at the indoor track with my son tonight. Man he has gotten me charged up again. You hear that Slo! I'm down 16lbs since the summer and getting that race feeling again (now if I can just string some miles together). December is the month for that 5k.

We carved pumpkins last night. I'll post some pictures once we are done. DD got complex and it conflicted with our 9pm bed time.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

will run for popsicles

wow, holly. I can't believe you're taking a kitchen sink on a trail run. Quite a blow to the minimalist movement.

mari, I always secretly hoped this was how Peace Corps workers dressed as their daily attire. Halloween thing totally dashes my image.

sally,  "looked kind of cute in the bathroom mirror, but rather haggard up here in the harsh light of day" pretty much describes my life, other than the cute part.

dave59 -- this could be an excellent T-shirt to make. 'I'M A LAZY BUM LEAVE ME ALONE." this could be big. or not.

well, off to slog through 4 miles in the 110 percent humidity. OK to run in swim goggles?

There was a suggestion that we leave joyce and cummings behind and switch to seuss and boynton. someone else will have to supply the cats ...

IF DR. SEUSS HAD BEEN A RUNNER
                        (apologies to tom bosley, tv's howard cunningham)

One shoe
                        Two shoe
                        green shoe
                        Blue shoe

Black shoe

White shoe
                        Old shoe
                        New shoe.

This one has a little tread.
                        This one's midsole is quite dead.
                        Say! What a lot
                        Of shoes there are.

Some are purple. Some are blue.
                        Some are old. And some are new.

Some are racers.
                        Some are not.
                        And some you wonder why you got.

Why do they
                        have to smell like that?
                        I do not know.
                        Go ask the cat.

Some have lugs.
                        And some are slick.
                        Some have barf
                        when your wire sick.

From there to here,
                        it's lots of fun,
                        Funny things
                        await. Let's run!

Thanks Jay!!

Good thing I was so productive yesterday because today is the total opposite!! Stayed up late watching the Sox and the victory madness afterward and went to bed with just a slight cold.  Well, the cold seems better today, but woke up with a horrible stiff neck that travels down the right side of my shoulders and to the middle of my back.  I took Ibuprofen for the first time in about 6 months!!  Sat in the hot tub for about 40 minutes, drank 3 bottles of water and took a hot shower.  Will hit the hot tub again later today - really hope this loosens up!!  There is no way I could handle driving to Boston in the morning and working a 12 hour shift like this, but I've had to call out or rearrange hours so much for Justin lately I really hate to call out!!

mta - love the ode to Dr Seuss Mo!!

denise

will run for popsicles

p.s. this is what my RA targeted ad is for me today. Eerie how they can know EXACTLY what kind of shoe I want ...

C-R

As promised.

DS2 (Yeah. IKR)

DD (she's giving fair warning to all)

DS1 (guess what he wants to do for a living)

Happy Halloween.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

SteveP

DW will not let me go to her company's Halloween party this year Cry

Mornin' everyone!

How 'bout them Sox, eh?

Have a greta Halloween!

Jay

SteveP