Masters Running

Sat 12/8 - Am I worthy to start the Daily? (Read 342 times)

Hi runners.

I'm a noobie I know,but working 3rd shift I usually stop in before the "daily" thread is started. So if I'm not worthy to start the daily yet,ignore my post!

OK,I was saying (or whining) yesterday about having no time to run because of life's conflicts. Well I just got off of work and I'm going to head out and TRY a long run. I prefer to run right when I wake up,but it's either this or nothing till Monday. Wish me luck if you have not ignored my post.

See ya. Drake

Marathon Maniac #957

Drake - of course you are worthy!  First come, first served, around here...Smile

DD gets to ride on her school float with the other members of the safety patrol in our town's Christmas parade today at noon. 

We watched The Amazing Spiderman last night, and I have decided it is my favorite Spiderman movie.

6 easy-paced miles for me this morning in 51 degrees and light rain.

120 lunges yesterday are reminding me today.....need to do these more often.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Everyone is eligible since everyone is a runner.  Jay needs a break every once in a while. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

Good Morning to you Drake.

Thanks for getting us started.

I ran a two mile race last night. A little dissappointed in my time but I guess the results are more important. I finished 10th overall and 2nd in my age group...that's 2nd only because the 1st place overall male was from the 40 - 49 AG. MTA: I just found out that the two guys ahead of me in the 40 - 49 AG went 1st and 2nd Overall. Go Masters!

Running some contractors this morning. I'm hoping this won't be an all day job.

Jlynne...It's a vey rare occasion that I root for the Vikings but I will be this weekend. They really need to hand it to the bears.

King of PhotoShop

I can't remember where I put that worthiness test that I used to make people take before they could start the daily, but since it's missing, I guess it's okay for you to start us off Drake.

Bad news!  When I took a day off yesterday I also forgot to do my plank, which means I'm out of the Club plank contest. It was down to me and one other guy, so now he wins if he remembers to do his every day for the rest of the year.  Also forgot my 50 pushups, but since that's my own personal routine, I'll just double up today.

Off to run about a mile and a half on the dirt path, then work packet pickup.  Big day tomorrow!  Spareribs

Jlynne...It's a vey rare occasion that I root for the Vikings but I will be this weekend. They really need to hand it to the bears.

I agree. The weather forecast for tomorrow night sounds brutal. Snow/rain mix with possible accumulation of 4 to 6 inches. How do you dress for something like that? Hey! I took first place in our fantasy football league! We start the playoffs this weekend.

Thanks for starting the thread today, Drake. Hope your run goes well.

That's cool about your DD being on the float Holly. Can she handle the "smile and wave routine?"

Thanks for working packet pickup Ribs. Good luck tomorrow!

7 miles this morning in blustery 25° temps.  Will and Ben are coming over later to "help" Grandma bake some cookies. I was going to clean the house this morning, but I think I'll wait.Wink 

Have a great Saturday everyone.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning...

LOL.....Drake, I don't think it takes worthiness to start the daily - thanks for starting it, and welcome to RA. This is a very special place to not only share our runs, but anything that's going on in our life's. You stay around long enough....you'll read all sorts of goofy stuff about me. And I give the very best relationship advice Big grin 

I'm waiting out the rain right now, and I have a 16 mile run planned today, and may make it a wave run.... haven't done one of those for awhile, but love um Smile

TwoKittyCat.....what you said yesterday about the Insurance Companies, and what I posted pretty much sums it up - very well actually.  After talking to this lady I felt really bad for her.....I thought about us going to pick her rental car up - her walking home in the dark after work - as she's walking home she's wondering what's she's going to do - how is she going to go anywhere now - and how she would come up with the $500.00. Was that my problem - NO. But I couldn't just pretend I didn't care, or look the other way. Thinking how miserable of a feeling this must have been for her, not thinking she owed this money, and having no way of coming up with it right now.

I've been doing this line of work my whole career and I've never done this before, and I've heard some really sad stories with people not having the money to pay. This was different......I'm very good at reading people, and I know I know I know she was being sincere and honest with me. Plus, once I get something stuck in my head about giving....whether it's monetary or my time, I must listen and do it (or I will be tormented for not)

Yes, saving deductibles is considered Insurance fraud, but many shops still do it anyways. We are a direct repair shop for this Insurance Company, so I know my boss wants to be careful protecting that.  My boss did tell me not to do what I ended up doing, but to me it doesn't matter how she pays her deductible, as long as it's showed paid. What if this lady had a son that said mom, let me pay that for you....that would just fine. I gave her cash so when she came in yesterday morning to pick her car up, she paid what was owed and nobody will know the difference...I told her it was our little secret. I got a nice hug as she left, and she had tears of joy running down her cheeks.......there is no way to put a price on that.

Yes Steve.....my story is a reminder of thinking about others going through tough times, and helping people that are genuinely struggling with life.

Yes Ribs you're right, I did something similar a few years back at Christmas time. I was grocery shopping at Walmart and there was this lady Christmas shopping with her children. I happened to be around her enough to hear her tell her kiddos often....sweeties, we can't afford that this  year as daddy lost his job. I happened to be at the check out at the same time as her, and she didn't quite have the money for what she was trying to buy for her precious children. She started picking stuff out of her cart to take some items back to the shelve where she got them. The lady felt bad holding the line up, and I told her no problem as I was in no hurry. While she was gone I asked the cashier how much was her bill....she told me and I paid the bill. I said you know from the receipt what she's taking back to the shelves right?...she said yes. As I paid her bill I also got $250.00 out and gave it to the cashier, to also give to the lady for Christmas presents for her children.....and to buy herself and husband a little something too for Christmas. I left the store as fast as I could so the lady would be totally surprised, and not know where the gift came from

Like I mentioned I don't have all the money in the world, but what I do have I can bless others with....when I feel prompted to do so.

Heck......maybe I'm a blessing to them I know. But I get WAY more joy giving, than I will ever get receiving.

All of what I said is probably why when I get my heart broke, I seem to hurt more than others do, and it's hard for me to except......I still hurt over Donna, as I do miss and love the girl, even with how rotten she ended things and treated me. I gave her my all, much like I do with everything I do....my running too. She's gonna miss my big caring heart one of these days...but will be too late - I'll never let her do that to me again Blush  

OK.....stopped raining - time to get my run on Smile

Guess I'm chatty this morning - LOL

Hope everyone has a great day !

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Thanks for verifying my worthiness guys. 

I just got in about 1/2 hour ago. I had no idea what to expect seeing as how it has been YEARS since I ran after work. I planned on 10 miles,but hit a wall at 7,so I headed back home with a total of 8.25 miles at an easy 9:54 pace average.

Slo,I couldn't agree more. I'm not a Vikings fan but will be any time they play Da Bears.

I live in Wisconsin,but work in northern Illinois,so it is pretty much a 50/50 mix of Bears and Packers fans at work. It's always a good thing to go into work after a Bears loss.

Jlynne,are you going to the game?

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!  I guess they really will let anybody start the daily...worthy or not...

Okay--day one of the continuing saga of Eric--The New Driver.  When we last heard of Eric. he had just passed his driving test...after failing two previous times.  Well, he drove his sister home and then drove, himself back to work...his very first drive all by himself.  He made it!  After work--rather than driving back to his apartment--he drove to the other side of the cities to pick up his girlfriend from school.  During this time, it began to snow.  Eric has never driven in the snow.  The ink on Eric's license is still wet and Eric is driving through the cities--during rush hour--in the snow.  Meanwhile--Eric's dad--that would be me--is enjoying himself with a couple buddies having a couple beers...and a couple of shots of who knows what--when the phone rings.  "Dad, can you come and get me?  I don't feel safe driving in this snow."  Wow!  Is this really my kid showing some responsibility?  Well, I drive over and pick up my son-in-law to ride along so we don't have to leave his car at his girfriend's house, and we go pick Eric up.  On the way back, Eric tells me how he went around a corner too fast and ran his car up on a curb.  No wonder the kid was scared.  I assured him that everybody has done that and we just have to learn from it.  I told him of a few of my close calls...there wasn't enough time to tell him about all of them.  Anyway, since he had to be at work at 5:00 am, again this morning--he decided he wanted to spend the night at our house...just in case the roads were too bad in the morning.  "What!?"  I thought,  "Who is this kid and what has he done with my Eric?"  Well, at 4:00 am, Eric woke up, assured me he would be okay, and drove into work...and he made it!  To be continued...

Okay--I have to go for my run, then get ready for my company Christmas party!  See ya!

" I assured him that everybody has done that and we just have to learn from it.  I told him of a few of my close calls...there wasn't enough time to tell him about all of them. "

Ahhh...yes....that's where I'm different. Like I can't imagine telling my kids about the time I was outrunning a cop years ago and pulled into our culvert broadside with my headlights out. I walked in the front door as the cop screamed past outside..... and my dad was standing there at the window watching the whole thing. If you were wondering a 76' Gran Prix with a 455 is faster than a 84' Crown Vic.

I've got quite a few car stories. 

..ok, who told Drake he could start the daily??????

======

........28min poolrun

,,,,,,,,,,,the Y has now announced the pool is closed 15th thru 30th

meh.

........tried out an ArcTrainer...........straight leg motion, sweaty and vaguely Righteous Feeling when I got off

this could be a PlanB

.............my thanks to all

''StreetCar'' participants

especially

jylnne who probably got WritersCramp from her Evil Efforts

................good running guys................BikeRide and ChristmasChoir tomorrow..............ohboyohboy

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

I agree with God -- I like the "Mike E Channel!"  Smile   Very entertaining.  Glad to hear Eric is making some good decisions.   It took my DD 3 tries to pass her driver's test too, and I'm actually glad, because I think it kept her off the roads solo till she was really ready.

I'm going for a run and to my company Christmas Party today, too!   Snow's in the forecast, and tomorrow the high temp is only supposed to be 10F, so I'd better do my long run today.  Not ready to Erika-up.

Good luck to the weekend racers!

12/08 Mariposai - Jingle Bell Jog 2 miler, Omak, WA

12/08 Sarge - USATF National Cross Country Championships 10k  Lexington,  KY

12/08 Coastwalker - Frozen 5K, Laconia, NH

12/08 pfriese -   Holiday Nightlight Run 5K - Midwest City, OK

12/09 Opie - Tucson Marathon, Tucson, AZ

12/09 Ileneforward - Holiday half marathon, Pomona CA

12/09 CNYrunner - Holiday half marathon, Pomona CA

12/09 Tramps - Blue and Gray Half Marathon - Fredericksburg, VA

12/09 mgerwn - The Christopher Martin's 5K Christmas Run For Children, New Haven CT

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

Thanks for verifying my worthiness guys. 

Domini non sum dignus.  Spareribs

Mariposai

It is cool to see the interaction between the new RA family members and the old ones Joking. Yeap anyone can start the daily, even if you are not running, heck we, PNW runners sometimes start the daily one day ahead when our East Coast friends are already in bed Big grin.

A nice crispy, but sunny morning is welcoming us to the first "Jingle Bell Jog"  2 mile race today. This is the first year for this race that will be in conjunction to the Twilight Christmas parade of my town. Since I am the master mind behind the race I am a bit nervous with the logistics, but I do have great volunteers to help me out. Hey, I even recruited the city's mayor to help out with the hot chocolate table by the bonfire.

Spareribs, a model!!! I should have known that Wink . So, which one are you the one in the white or black suit?

Holly, I hope your daughter enjoys the parade! 

Happy Hanukkah to those who celebrate it!

And to all a relaxing weekend!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

that's nice mari. when ya goin' to Quiindy for the Maraton?

Timbo - no need to make excuses for trying to do what is right.

As rosie put it much better some time ago, for some people, it’s better to try to help than not help 

when you could have and then end up wondering the rest of your life if it would have made a difference.

ps to somebody: races don’t count unless you, of all people, don’t tell ilene.

We love her too, you know.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)