Masters Running

Tuesday, 12.21.15 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Quick walk-by this morning.

We're leaving this morning, driving to Brooklyn (NY) to visit an ailing aunt, and to NJ (to drop off Dear Niece at her home). Then back to Brooklyn tomorrow to visit a nephew, his DW, and their 6-month old daughter, and on to Long Island (NY). DN will be back in NH with her family for New Year's, but this is the end of her 3-month stay with us. It has been great: She's helped a lot in the kitchen, we've had fun and some great talks together, and she also got some good work done for us while she was here. We'll miss having her around. She starts at UConn in mid-January.

5.75 RW fartlek miles this am in shorts in 43F temps.

OK - gotta go.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - enjoy your trip!

I took advantage of more time this morning due to DD's ortho apt to run longer in the record warm temps in the low 50's.

10 miles total

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Nice run Holly.

Have a great trip Jay!

My own shadow is going to be the death of me.

This morning I was about two and quarter miles into my run. I had just reached that point where I've settled into a comfortable rhythm and I could let my mind switch from the present task of running to turning over those inner thoughts that I like to let surface and let the miles click by unnoticed.

It was at this point someone had turned on the headlights of a car parked in the shoulder of the street behind me. The light casted a larger than life shadow of my running self unto the center of a large oak tree that was situated between the side walk and street curb. It appeared that an 8ft being dressed all in black was running straight at me...oh the goose bumps.

It's the first time my shadow gave me the eebie jeebies.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Slo--wearing a heart rate monitor by any chance?  That would make for some interesting data.

Happy travels, Jay.

Happy 10, Holly.

As much as I like running in shorts, this kind of weather is NOT Christmas weather, or conducive to feeling Christmasy.

So, in keeping with the warm weather theme, 3.1 miles in 49°.  A little slower today, as tomorrow the training plan has me doing my first tempo run.  Wish me luck.  Apperently my timing was good, as it's pouring now--hope it's gone by morning.

Tonight after work, I'll run up to the camp in Maine for dual purposes.  Have to drop off the Thule carrier that we needed to get all of DD's leftovers back home.  Also pick up the TV that she bought in May, but wouldn't fit in her car for transport to LA.  Hope to find someone that needs a nice basic 40" flat screen.  (as an aside, it's amazing how routine a TV of that size has become.  It seems not very long ago, we were pretty happy to have a 19"   )

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

coastwalker you are probably going to drive close to my house on your way to Brooklyn. I would normally invite you over but pretty much every human that dislikes getting sick should stay away from me.

Slo_Hand be glad you are not in a horror movie. If you were, your shadow would come alive at that point and . . . 

Holly S. good attitude regarding your DD's game. The way some people act you would think their kid was destined for the NBA, NFL or whatever. 

The weather here in CT is pretty good for running, seeing as how this is December and all. Can I run? No. Yet more evidence a malevolent being is out to get me! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Sayhey! MM#130

But Stumps, you love to run in the rain (recall dripping photo...)

Safe trip Jay and get better twocat....some Asian cold bug?  We'll know if some mysterious illness is reported in a week or two...

Some working moms would have seen the occasion as one to put up their feet and read or whatever, but our Holly hits the road for more miles.  

Photo of boots, moebo?  wow.....

How are your legs this am, Mari, after that workout?

7+ for me this am.  Signed up for a race next year that benefits the caregivers of folks with Alzeimer's.   There's a group of people who deserve whatever we can do for them.

Loved loved seeing photos of henrun, deez and all at the races.

Good Tuesdays!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Safe travels, Jay.  I'm glad your time with your niece ended up being a pleasure for all.

Sounds like you had quite the workout, Posie Lady!

Nice score on the boots, Moebo.  I'm a used clothing store junkie.  Unfortunately, we don't have very good ones here.  Whenever I go to Oregon, I make specifics arrangements in my travel plans to stop at the Goodwill in Eugene, OR.  Rich college kids = nice used clothes to pick through.

Slo - I've scared myself a few times with my own shadow.  It can a real heart-stopper!

2Kitty - Get better!!

We have a break in this rain this morning, so I didn't get to use my new running rain jacket I got yesterday. However, I felt better on today's 6-mile run than I did all last week, so that's plus.  Only problem was at about the 2.5 mile mark my - er - bowels woke up.  Always makes things interesting, and the last half mile or so was a lesson in deep breathing.  I tell ya, I should have the tightest glutes in the county with all the butt clinching I had to do.  (TMI?  Bwahahaaaa!!!!! )

I think The Hub was up most of the night running the sump pump under the house.  He was crashed on the couch when I got back from my run and was still there when I left for work, mouth hanging open, in the throws of a very deep sleep.  More rain over the next two days, though, so the pump is gonna be getting a good workout.

Later ~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Lots of  cross-training today getting ready to spend the holidays running, . .

I mean working in Japan.  Hope to make up for it at the Japan Joyful’s

annual New Year’s Party.  No wonder I love running so much. 

Slo - I've scared myself a few times with my own shadow.  It can a real heart-stopper!

So, during the last trip over there, after the day’s meetings, etc., I was walking towards the dual ascending escalators in a big department store and spotted the unusual sight not only of another foreigner walking towards me from the other end of the same floor but he was also a similarly pretty well dressed elderly guy too.  We scrupulously avert any direct eye contact as we approached each other to pass but he turned exactly in unison with me and got on the adjacent escalator right next to me.  To avoid any further awkwardness, I turned to say, “hello,” only to realize it was me doing the same thing, . . . reflected in a wall-to-wall mirror.  Gotta love getting old!
                  Posie, Posie - where are the skiing boards this year?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

I would have paid money to see that, tet.

RCG, It's great to hear from you.  Nice marathon for you (2nd AG) and the RS (47th state).  Aamos, congrats on the grand masters.  Tammy, kudos to your son.  henrun, nice 5K.  mari, that's quite the snow workout.

Nice long runs for Mike and Holly.

This morning, it was in the low to mid 40s and there was a light wind.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:00 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

TammyinGP

oh Tet . . .  thanks for making my chuckle this morning!

Tammy

oh Tet . . .  thanks for making my chuckle this morning!

+1 

How'd the babysitting go, Tselbs?

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Slo_Hand be glad you are not in a horror movie. If you were, your shadow would come alive at that point and . . . 

...yeah, that ought to help...................................n0t....

==========

........20-min NordicTrak

and

40-min PoolRun with belt, cf, ris

................good running guys.........................and Good Ramblin' to jay.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Thanks for the kind words, all.

Mobobo! Yes, I remember October, 2005 and the Mystic Places marathon. It was great to see you there and thanks for remembering that was my personal best marathon. (and that record still stands.) Funny how hard it is to get faster after 50. I think I peaked at 42.

Tselbs, Hello! We were out in Arkansas with SpaCityRunner this past weekend and she and I were remembering Cool Runners we've met. But it was Ralph who added the time when you visited us!

I won't ramble on too much now, considering I did not run today. However, I did donate a pint of blood to the Red Cross this afternoon. Do you all remember our blood drives?

At the 3 Bridges Marathon on Saturday, there was a man wearing a shirt that read, "A Blood Donor Saved My Life". Since the course was a modified out and back, I saw him going out at a couple points where I was heading back. I figured it was a sign.

Are you eligible to donate?

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

moebo

Hello all!

Rose, I have often wanted to donate blood but unfortunately I am not qualified.

Slo, I laughed at your shadow story--that kind of thing has happened to me, too (more than once!).

Tet, you make me laugh, too.

Twocat, so sorry you are sick!

Leslie, I am a used clothing store addict, too!

Aamos, here are the boots: they don't look very special, but they were just what I was looking for. In addition to fitting me just right, they are very warm and waterproof, too. I'm not really sure why the brand (La Canadienne) is so expensive--I'm hoping it's because they're well made and will last a long time!

I was tired today and almost didn't go out, but when I saw the temps I knew I couldn't miss out. Intended to go out for 3.5 miles, but ended up with 5! Shorts and a tee-shirt in 52 degrees, I am loving this.