Masters Running

Friday Master Runs and Workouts. Beware the achy parts ... (Read 376 times)

My lower back has been very tight lately and I've been very careful with it. I know it's from my chair at work and the non-supportive couch at home, and not the running. Even my mattress feels like it needs to be flipped. Going to do that this weekend.

So I was thinking a rest day was probably in order. But really the working out loosens things up a little, so off I went to the pool. 1600m in about 48 minutes or so. I am always amazed that I'm now able to swim a mile freestyle. This aerobic fitness translates nicely.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Nice swim, Bill!  I had one of your recent workouts in mind on today's run.

Runningsmarter - I just sent in my registration for the Brookville 5-miler.  See you there!

10 miles for me today, including 14 x 60-second striders, with 60-90 second recoveries in between.  I pushed faster and faster on them, until by the 8th strider I was seeing a 6:XX on the Garmin, which is nearly as fast as I get.  Probably a little soon to be going this fast, but nothing hurt and it felt good to blow out the cobwebs.  Ave pace for the run was a somewhat frisky (for me) 9:45.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

breger1 all I can say is do not fool around with chairs, couches and the like that are leading to injuries!  They are the basic cause of my current sad state of affairs.  Get a new chair, a new couch, and if flipping the mattress does not help a new mattress.  Good luck with your furniture quest!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Slo

breger1 all I can say is do not fool around with chairs, couches and the like that are leading to injuries!  They are the basic cause of my current sad state of affairs.  Get a new chair, a new couch, and if flipping the mattress does not help a new mattress.  Good luck with your furniture quest!

Chairs....especially leather recliners and couches, can kill a good work out. Avoid them at all cost !

I've had a couple of excellent days of workouts.

Yesterday morning was a nice 8.29 mile run through the rolling hills of Dubuque County followed by a 39 mile bike ride through Western Illinios last night.

This morning I was able to get back to a focused pool work out. Like Bill, I am amazed at how easily I can swim a mile today compared to where I started.......something I plan on keeping in my regime for life.

wildchild

Carolyn

Uh oh ...  now we're supposed to avoid couches and chairs and mattresses?    Man, all the good stuff turns out to be bad for you.  Next thing you know, Byll will be telling us to avoid Doritos and beer!

Erika, nice run last night.  But I wish you fast people would stop complaining that you have trouble running slower.  Nice job running your long hill with no walk breaks - I've gotten in the bad habit of walking on hills even when I could probably keep running - I've started working on it, but on hot days it's just tough.

Last night I did a 5 mile trail run, avg pace about 12:05.   Didn't have the sproink to charge the last long hill up to the car - I felt more like a mule than a mountain goat.  The trail has gotten really overgrown - the grass on either side is almost shoulder-high, since the trail has gotten worn down in a depression, so it was like running through a green tunnel. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Renee the dog

This morning, after a horrendous quarrel with my 2 1/2 yr old, I went out and did just a 3 miler (that was on my schedule for tomorrow).   Came back and washed more windows (first floor is done!!!) and then did 21 minutes of slideboarding.

My originally scheduled fartek run will go to tomorrow instead.  I was just so darn steamed when I went out to run that I couldn't even remember what the workout was supposed to be...

Good runs/workouts to all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Slo

Byll will be telling us to avoid Doritos and beer!

I can personally attest to the detrimental effects of how Doritos and beer can tank a workout !

King of PhotoShop

A couple of comments about back pains and stuff.  When I feel some tightness or discomfort in my back, I swap out my regular swivelly, cushioned office chair for a straight-backed hard chair and raise the level of my laptop so I don't have to look down at it.  This often helps.  Also, you have to have all those core muscles strong but flexible, but that doesn't mean all stretches are good for you.  I had to experiment with the exercises that helped.  Some can make your situation worse.  Take care Bill.

I feel a bit like that priest in "Caddy Shack" who goes out and plays the round of his life in the thunderstorm.  Of course the priest dies in the end, but I think I'm going to be okay.  I went from running 30-40 miles per week this year and just not being able to push past it. It was really discouraging.  This week I decided to see how many miles I could realistically run without becoming fatigued.  I ran ten easy on Sunday, first day of my week and have been running 7-8 every day this week.  I was expecting to get more tired as the week progressed, but instead I feel super.

Today I did 7.9 then stretched at the Y.  A 7 miler tomorrow will give me 55 for the week, my first week over 50 miles in two years, and I don't feel tired at all.    Spareribs

Slo

Thats great Ribs.

When I pick up the volume or intensity I generally find that I too have extra energy.......the ability to do even more than I had planned or hoped to do......for awhile anyway. It usually catches up to me in week two.

One thing I have noticed. It is very hard for me to do a "recovery" day following a day of higher intensity. For what ever reason I still have alot of  "sproink" the next day. I've taken the 800 intervals of my calendar until after the fall marathon but when I put them back on I will schedule my recovery run two days after my hard workout and see how that goes.

And just for the record.....Easy is Easy......what I call recovery is "painfully slow"

TammyinGP

About a year ago, we bought a new mattress set. We had a firm mattress set before and it was still in good condition, but both my husband and I were having very sore hips in the morning. (no comments from the peanut gallery please . . . and you know who you are!) . . . When we went to San Fran last Aug and stayed in a hotel there that had a softer mattress - we both felt SO much better. So I did a bunch of on line research on good mattresses and we ended up buying a higher end model of a Denver Mattress and it's amazing the diffference in the quality of our sleep now. it was a pricey set, but so worth it.

Had a wonderful date night with DH last night. His bday (55!) is next Thursday and we'll be in Seattle then, so we took advantage of our last night while our son is away at camp, to go have a nice leisurely dinner at a lodge style restaurant along the Applegate River. This is one of our favorite restaurants and where he always chooses to go for his bday dinner. I had the most delicious mahi mahi, cajun spiced and grilled, along with grilled asparagus. And some great bruschetta for an appetizer. mmmm. By the time we were done, we were the last ones out in the deck dining area, so we walked the short path down to the river bank and watched as a baby deer came down a hillside on the other side of the river, and walked along the bank. very peaceful setting. great food. wonderful company with my very dear husband.

today our office is closing at noon, and I am going to go pick up my son who gets back from camp about the same time. Can't wait to see him!!

I'll try to get in a run this afternoon also. someone is nagging on me to get back into it!

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

But I wish you fast people would stop complaining that you have trouble running slower. 

I have to agree.....

Ribs – very nice – I love that feeling of increasing endurance.

Tammy – I know it will be so nice to see your DS again.

Slo – why no more 800’s?

re beds – my DH suffers from back pain, unable to sleep through the night most nights due to the pain waking him up.  A few months ago we splurged and bought a $3,000+ Temperpedic bed on their 4-years-no-interest deal, mostly because of my dad’s testimonial that his Temperpedic bed made a huge difference for him.  Unfortunately, DH still has the back pain, only now it’s in a different part of his back.  Me, I think the bed is fine, but I didn’t have a problem with our old, softer, bed, and would happily have stayed with it (and not incurred this debt), had we only known that it wouldn't help.

I just checked the itinerary for our flights to California and back in August, and found that they've changed our return flights, adding an extra stop in Detroit as well as Minneapolis and heading on to Dayton on a flight that leaves Detroit 2 hours before we get there......  I'm on the phone with American Express Travel even as I write this.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Holly, gotta love those all-around-the-country flight plans... That's why I like flying an airline whose hub is Seattle. I gotta go there anyway!

Anyone who hasn't read SteveP's post from late last night needs to go do that. Glad the dog is what serves for ok... (nice that you got DW out for a run, too!)

All I'm gonna say about mattresses is that the one in our room in Seattle sucked big time. I was so happy to crawl into my own bed when we got back! I'm with Twocat on the furniture thing... I think a large contributor to my sciatica was/is my office chair. I hate this thing. I've got rolled up towels and cushions to give support where it's lacking. And it was supposed to be this great ergonomic chair... hmph.

Speed is all relative. And while I Iike my "happy pace," but it also seems to be my "always" pace... and I may not be a very cerebral runner in the grand scheme of things, but I'm smart enough to know that always running the same pace is not the best approach to a well-rounded training plan. So... I'll keep working on it. Last night's run was a good exercise in controlling "effort," if not actual pace. That's a start.

(Carolyn, if I ran your hills, I'd walk a lot of them, too! Cool image you paint of running in the tunnel of grass.)

Marathon Maniac #957

Erica - thanks for reminding me...

SteveP - DD is indeed interested in racing.  That's why she's been asking me to take her out running lately.  She wants to run a 5K, mostly because she loves my race medals and wants to get one of her own.  I told her if she can get to the point of run/walking at least 2.5 miles, I'll sign her up for a 5k and run it with her.  I just need to find one that gives out medals - not all of them do.

Mariposai

great going there Ribs!!!! Aiming at 55 and not tired at all. You have shown us how one needs to build up base...slowly, slowly and with lots of patience.

Erika, great run last night. I enjoyed seeing  the graph...way to tough it out on the last mile!

I was going to go swimming last night, but I was blessed with around 15 pounds of cherries so I spent the night canning them instead. 14 quarts of cherries, which should taste yummy with plain yogurt come winter time.

Resting the legs today, but I did some yoga. I have a 10 miles trail race tomorrow, I can't wait to get to run in the wild woods.

Holly, great run today. Great news about the sproinky and speedy legs you are having lately. Enjoy it!

twocat, is the injection helping you at all?

Tammy, I am glad to see you and your DH having a fun date last night. DH and I are planning to do the same tonight.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

dg.

Bill, be careful flipping that mattress.  Can be hard on your back. 

Holly nice frisky run!   What are you doing now, I mean,, you are already fit, so what will you do between now & Columbus?

While I've got the 2 of you here (Wink) ... here's what I came up with Monday.   I ran 6.2 and  was thinking to myself that I only had to do 3 more of those,  & then you 2 can carry me for the last couple of miles.   Easily knocking about an hour off my time.  What do you think?   a good plan? 

Twocat good to 'see' you.   How are your gym workouts?  You said something the other day about something you were going to have done soon... but I'm sorry, I can't remember just what it was.  No time to look right now.  So, what is going on & how are you?

Carolyn, me too!!!!  Your trail run sounds nice, but is the path wide enough for you?  My little one by the river keeps shrinking.

Ribs, you are amazing.  I hope this experiement is a complete success.  Then what will you do?

Holly, too many stops!    I was thinking that at least I could come visit you when you're in Detroit, but it doesn't sound like you'll have too much time there!   ;-)

Erika I have a great ergonomic chair too,  but it's either adjusted wrong, or I'm not patient enough to sit on it like I should. 

I actually had a run that I was happy with this morning!  I wouldn't have been a few months ago, but circumstances change as you all know.  Plan was for 1 mile recovery pace, 3x1 mile at 10K pace w/2 min. recoveries, another mile at recovery pace.  I'm adjusting these since I couldn't do any of the preliminary workouts for the first 2 months of this plan. (and because many wiser than me say to not try for any speed at all but I am going to Lose My Mind if I don't try a little. besides, this does not qualify)   My abs (psoas?) hurt so much in the w/u walk that I almost bagged the whole thing,but I played more with posture & it helped a litle.  Didn't look at pace, just tried to have 3 x .85 mile sections where I pushed it a bit. 5.36 miles, Overall pace was 10:05 (slow I know, but not for me right now), faster chunks were at 9:52, 9:36 & 9:33.  Sooo, maybe there's hope.  I was beginning to wonder. 

better work now.   and finish yesterday's daily.  Smile

mta, Tammy, I hope your son had a great time.   Nancy... that's a lot of cherry pitting!  You are so patient.