Masters Running

LL Bean 10K RR (Read 171 times)

Better late than never I guess, I was hoping for a much better run than what I got but some days you just don’t have it and this was one of them for me right from the start. Confused My pre-race goal was to at least run a course PR (42:44) or better and maybe even a 10K PR (41:03). However I was realistic enough to know that this is a very tough course and a 10K PR was probably not in the cards and as I lined up I was thinking that a course PR was probably unlikely today as well. My legs just felt very heavy and tired today and I ended up not eating breakfast which is not normal for me and I just didn't quite feel right. I met up with a bunch of my running buddies and we went down and got our race packets which also included a free pair of New Balance 1062 running shoes for the first 4 or 5 hundred pre-registered runners and a short sleeve tech shirt. We went back to our cars and unloaded our stuff and then took off on a pre-race warm up of 1.18 miles. It was quite warm and humid out and after the warm up I decided I would wear a singlet instead of a short sleeve shirt for the race. Fashion report: NYPD racing singlet, black adidas running shorts, asics DS Trainers, Boston Red Sox running hat and my Garmin. Big grin We lined up for the start about 3 or 4 minutes ahead of time and didn’t have to wait long for the singing of the national anthem and then we were off. The first mile is always the quickest here as it is mostly downhill, I was a little fast at 6:08 but not overly concerned. My main concern was that I just felt like crap and had to work my way through the mental games as I trudged along. Somewhere in this second mile a friend of mine (Jerry) who is actually running injured passed me (yeah that made me feel real good…not) we talked briefly and he commented that he wasn’t sure he would be able to hold it together much past 4 miles. Mile two came in at 12:57 for a 6:49 mile…yeah this sucks I muttered to myself. I kept trudging along and as I passed the area where I was tripped last year I thought to myself (at least you had an excuse for last year’s time), oh well no accidents this year! Mile three comes in at 19:51 for a 6:54 mile. The next two miles are the steepest and normally the slowest so I was prepared for that, but I really hadn’t wanted to be running seven minute miles here…so much for that plan. Mile four comes in at 26:54 for a 7:03 mile, shortly after mile four I met up with Jerry again and passed him a short while later. At least now I was really beginning to pick off some runners and just kept setting my sites on one after another as they quite a few struggled with the hills. Mile five came in at 33:58 for a 7:04 mile (my slowest for the day) and we rounded the turn onto Lower Main Street for the final stretch. At least now I knew the end was near and realized I still had a bit of a chance at setting a course PR so I pushed myself as hard as I could and “surged” … well maybe not… to the sixth mile at 40:45 for a 6:47 mile and crossed the finish line 1:49 later for a course PR of 42:36 (6:52) 9/70 AG - 117/918 OA. Although I was quite disappointed with myself at first after a little time passed I was pretty pleased overall, considering how poorly I felt at the start of the race I guess I did OK after all. A nice 1.34 mile cool down with my friends then I hopped on over to LL Beans and got myself cleaned up and my wife and I sat back and enjoyed the parade through downtown Freeport did a little shopping and then went for a nice lunch at “Pedro’s” compliments of a 1st place LEO finish I had back in May in a 5K. We ended up going to the Fireworks in Portland and met up with our oldest son, his wife & their two boys and had a great time except that I noticed my wife wasn't looking too good. Turns out she got pretty sick and was out of it all the next day...hmmm I wonder if I had a slight touch of this? Oh well the Beach to Beacon 10K is on August 2nd we'll see if I can get under 41:00 there?
    stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Wow, that's a fast race if that time gets that high a number in both AG and OA. Also pretty impressive for a "subpar" run. I can only dream to be that subpar some day. Congrats on the course PR, too. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

coastwalker

Hi Bob, I wonder if you did have a bit of what your wife had? Regardless, a course PR on a day when felt like you just didn't have it is pretty good! You obviously did a good job of playing those mental games so that your physical issues didn't get in the way of you having a pretty good race. Nice haul, just for signing up early, with a pair of shoes and a tech shirt! Congrats on a great effort on an off day! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Bob, great job! I was volunteering at a side street just before the Mile 2 marker, so you passed me! Great job on the PR, especially since you weren't feeling well! DS15 started out too fast, and ended up at 36:48. Little squirt wasn't happy with his time, even though it was a PR. He sets lofty goals for himself. He came in 23rd. We were at the fireworks in Portland, also! My parents are visiting from Texas, and since my mom recently had foot surgery, she brought her handicapped parking sticker with her. We parked on the street between the hill and the water. It was a great place to be BEFORE the show, but it took us over 45 minutes to get back to Washington Avenue, where the traffic finally thinned out. Eek. I'm hoping to run B2B if my ankle is healed enough. Good luck beating 41 minutes! I'm hoping for 1:06 or so (last year was my first time, and it took me 1:19).
          wildchild

Carolyn

Good job with the course PR, and nice report! Nice to get shoes and a tech tee! I keep getting cotton race tees. Sad I agree with Kevin that I dream of being that subpar someday!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice job of pulling course PR out of a carpy run! I could see you come to life in the last mile! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

You ran a good one under any conditions, let alone when you weren't 100%. Congrats on the course PR. TomS
                huskydon

Good job for feeling lousy at mile 1. When that happens to me, I blow up big time. Also, a course PR is not to be sneezed at! Did you say a free pair of running shoes for the first pre registered runners? Wow, I bet that encourages folks to register early. Strong placement in your AG, you certainly have some fast runners in your neck of the woods. Good job! huskydon

King of PhotoShop

Bob, if you compare your previous course PR with your PR for the tenK, that is 1:41, which is huge. This must be some very tough course! So for you to run the time you did on a day you weren't 100% means that you are very fit right now and running well. I wouldn't have been at all disappointed if I were you running a great race like that. Good for you! Your archenemy, Spareribs
                      Thanks everyone...you too Ribs! Big grin Looking back at it I am pretty pleased with the result all things considering, I also think I may have actually been fighting off whatever bug my wife came down with and I didn't. Although I felt bad for her, I'm glad I didn't actually get whatever it was as bad as she did.
                        hey bob - nice job running a course PR despite not feeling your best!! beach to beacon 10K sounds so cool - i'll be at OOB then and wish the race wasn't closed - maybe i'll come and spectate!! i'm going to register for that breakaway 5K at OOB - hopefully i'll spot you there!!

denise