Masters Running

Sunday June 29, Masters Runs and stuff... (Read 449 times)

Good morning virtual running friends. A beautiful bright morning here is S. Florida. Just the kind to make one want to sing ... well, maybe not. Tight lipped 6 easy miles this morning in 56 minutes. 38.4 miles for the week. This was the 1st week in maybe years where I didn't run a single double-digit length run. Felt pretty good this morning. I'm going to retire the shoes I wore today - 350 miles - that's about the limit I get. I bought a pair of Asics Gel-Nimbus X's yesterday as a replacement. I had been wearing Brooks Glycerins the last few months but I get a few blisters and they feel kinda clunky. So back to the Nimbus'. Definitely not running a marathon this fall. No good reason to. Maybe next year! I'm going to donate a pint of blood after church today. They have been calling me for weeks begging for my O negative bood type. With no big goals on the horizon, I have no more excuses! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Bill, donate some for me! I used to give all the time in Texas, because they put this stuff on your arm to numb it, so it doesn't hurt when they're looking for my tiny veins. Up here, they don't do that, though. I've tried to give numerous times, and my veins are just too tricky. I DREAD going to the hospital (which I've done for three babies and one kidney infection), because the IV insertion is a nightmare. Good luck with the shoes - I just bought a pair of Asics Gel-Empire IIs. They felt great on my baby run yesterday. Not clunky, but good support. My parents arrive from Texas late tonight, and our house is still a construction site because our addition isn't done yet. They will be in my oldest son's NEW room, which is basically finished, but the hall outside the room is covered with tarps and building tools / supplies. While they're here, we will probably be moving from our old office to the new one. It will be an interesting visit! I'm forcing myself to take off today. My ankle is a tiny bit swollen from my run yesterday, but it doesn't hurt at all. Patience, Teresa!!!!
      DickyG

I'm going to retire the shoes I wore today - 350 miles - that's about the limit I get.
        I don't run as hard as you do, Bill...so I don't retire my shoes until they have 500-700 miles on them..depends on how they feel and what the tread looks like. Yesterday you mentioned some frustrations with your running club...seems like in most clubs 10% of the members do 90% of the work...so what else is new? Dave59, Larry, Mary: Looks like the common thread is surviving the H&H, get your miles in, and pray for snow. Peter: 16 miles in 80 deg temps..hats off, my friend. You certainly deserved a lot more pool time than 20 minutes. Ribs: Out of curiosity, describe your poor run... Tim: HUGE effort...especially those 6 miles from 7:08-8:08. Enkephalin: "Not looking forward to the teenage years"? You got that right...When each of my children reached that age, I immediately put them up for sale. Evanflein: You run over 10 miles at 8:17 pace and mention "The fun part"?...You're killing me. No running for me today...had a minor setback last night with my groin injury. MrsDickyG (AKA Queen Pam) & I got invited to a dinner/dance at one of the country clubs. The first time I tried to spin her, felt some pain...so it was the injured reserve list for the rest of the evening and today. Hope everyone else has some great runs. DickyG
        Tramps

Bill--Give 'em another pint for me too. Tongue Theresa--It's smart to give the ankle some time off. 16.1 miles this sunny morning @ 9:19. Started off with good low HR but had some major HR creep by the end. Still, overall 142 AHR, not bad. Saw two bikers and and two runners this morning, a rarity for me. I won't whine about the weather. I will note, though, that my shoes were absolutely waterlogged when I got home...and I didn't run through any water. Now on to the "to do" list. Have a good Sunday.

Be safe. Be kind.

The Jogger

Morning Gang Bill, nice run and good for you giving the blood..........Teresa, you are right to rest the ankle, go easy.. Myself and MrsRoy went out for a very slow 3 miler which was a nice recovery for me also for the boss as she has an old hip/groin injury playing her up...maybe i pushed her too much this week. Anyway: 3m 36:38 @ 12:13 pace AHR 130 56% WHR Back to work tomorrow after two weeks off Sad ah, glad to have a job :0 Good runs All Roy PS: My new bike which I will be using for a 15 mile round commute to the train station for a further 1:45 commute. http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86039

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Lots of great runs yesterday, including a 5K race for Tammy and a HM PR for Wildchild – great job! Divechief – ouch! 7 months off running is an agonizing thought. Even with the elliptical, that must have been terribly difficult. Breger – good decision. It’s no good if your heart’s not in it, and there’s lots of fun to be had at the shorter distances. {{{DickyG}}} Roy – nice bike! Okay, 3 days of no running and I thought I’d try the treadmill this morning. The padded surface is gentler than the road, and I vowed to keep my pace very slow and my strides very short. I started out at a 12:00 pace, and I admit the first mile was stiff and painful, but after I warmed up the pain mostly subsided! I moved up to a 10:54 pace and decided to let pain be my guide, and stop when it began to hurt too much. But you know what? It didn’t hurt much, just a little achy, and before I knew it I settled into a gentle, steady groove. I intended to do no more than 5 miles, but then I got sucked into a Lifetime movie and before I knew it I had done 11 miles. YIPPEE!!! I CAN RUN!!! (insert dancing bananas here) Smile Afterward I stretched and iced carefully. I’ll keep it slow for a while, but slow running is WAY better than no running. I’ll tell you, the fear of being sidelined for weeks or months really had me stressed the last few days. My DH laughs at my “running addiction” but he is so right. I think we can rule out the SF. (whew!) Yesterday DH and I spent from 11am to 9pm installing recessed lighting in the kitchen, not counting breaks for fast-food and 3 trips to Lowe’s. If I never see that attic crawl space again it would be too soon. I love that we have good insulation, but digging through 10” of insulation while balancing in a crouch on roof beams is grumpy-making work. Like Cranium, our previous owners did some creative electrical wiring ,and although all the lights work, we can’t figure out how to make the wall switch turn them on and off. Looks like we’ll have to call an electrician after all, but at least the hard part is done.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good Morning...I ran my longest run ever last night...5.3 miles. I'm trying to gradually increase my mileage. I'd like to get to 15 mi per week by the end of the summer. With the week off last week, this run will hardly register, but it was cool. My mind was ready to continue, but my legs had had enough. We've been spared the H&H this weekend, so it was quite nice here in Iowa. My daughter ran with me again and doubled her running mileage vs. walking mileage. I do enjoy her company. Good runs to all, Janet
                  Busy day yesterday so I didn't get a chance to post so I'l include that one too: Saturday - 3.34 mile warm up - 28:27 (8:34), 2.2 mile tempo - 13:41 (6:47), 1 mile recovery - 1 mile hard - 14:36 - (7:16), 2.82 miles recovery - 22:07 (7:50) - 63 degrees & 93 % humidity...YUK! Sunday – 11.92 recovery miles - 1:39:24 - (8:21) - 60 degrees & 100 % humidity ... double YUK!! Feeling good and strong, this next week will be a easy week as I prep for the 10K on Friday morning. Good runs all Smile
                    Good morning Boomers. 6.92 miles in 1:03 this morning. Storms moved through yesterday taking the heat and humidity down a notch. More rain predicted for today. Holly - so glad you were able to get a good, long run in this morning! Even if it was a slower pace than you normally run, at least you did it without any pain. You and your DH should write a couple's "home improvement" manual. I sure hope he appreciates all the work you do. Bill - let me know how you like the X's. My IX's have almost 400 miles on them and I wanted to buy the X's but they got some negative reviews on the RA forum. Anybody else have the new Gel Nimbus X's that would like to share their opinions? It's great that Breger is donating blood - especially with O negative. Teresa - good luck with your company! Do your kids mind giving up their bedrooms? I always think of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation where the grandparents take over the bedrooms forcing a sister and brother to share one. Sorry to hear about your swollen ankle. Hopefully easing back into running with be gentler on your injury. DickyG - sorry about your reinjury. And to do it dancing - gotta watch those dips! Hope you recover quickly. Nice runs Tramps, Handymom and mainerunnah. You too, Roy. Sorry you have to go back to work tomorrow. That commute sounds like a killer - how long have you been doing this? WTG Wildchild! 10 minutes off your last HM - impressive! Anxious to read your report. Good Sunday runs, everyone. Jeanne
                      5 miles easy miles w/DW, I've been trying to get her to pick up her pace a little so I talked a lot & told her we were going slower than usual. We finished in 9:48 pace instead of our average 10:00 pace & she doesn't even know it. Wink I ain't telling her either. She doesn't like to race & only does it so she has something to do when I'm running a half or full. Bill you probably already know it but take it easy for about 10 days after giving blood in that heat you got down there. DickyG can't even busta move, please get well soon! Big grin Teresa smart choice with the day off. Wildchild congrats on that fantastic PR Smile mainerunner 11.92 mile recovery run Shocked AWESOME Holly showing signs of healing, great news. Have a Wonderful Day

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Good Morning! Awesome PR wildchild and can't wait for the report. Holly, I am so happy for you. Please do be careful though and still baby that leg. Sweaty, drippy 18.6 miles for me this morning at 6:30 AM with Iron J in her neck of the woods. It was a two states run as she mapped out a loop that took us into some great parts of CT and over some rolling hills. We kept it at 9:19ish pace. I raced a 10 miler yesterday (report in my log) and she biked 65 miles yesterday, so no need for speed today. It was 71F at the start with high humidity and dew point and 82F by the finish. Back home now with coffee in hand after drenching my legs in cold water with the garden hose. Bliss. I gorged on watching the Olympic track trials yesterday and hope for more today. Good running and resting to all. Karin/CNYrunner

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Yeah for Holly!! Be careful though!! Out for 9 miles this morning after another puppy left. I feel really good about his home. The dad and his son drove all the way up from Kansas to get him. His son is autistic and was so excited about getting this puppy. My oldest DD on the other had took it pretty hard. She gets quite attached. I told her to look at it this way . . . we get so much joy out of our dogs especially when bringing the new puppy home, and we are able to provide that joy and excitment to 7 families. I know that makes me feel good. 3 left to play with. Anyway - my run was enjoyable in the misty cooler air. 10:51 avg. pace - 157 avg. HR. Have a great day!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Holly.. It's a Miracle! Glad you could do that! Interesting run today. Decided to change things for fun. After running Tory 2.2 miles, I ran 6 miles to the Al Buehler Trail at Duke and then over to the Wallace Wade Stadium and did the aisles. Walked down yelling "Ice cold beer here" (ok, just kidding Smile) then ran up the next asile, walked down the next, ran up the next... to the end. Legs burned just before the top of each aisle. Check out the Garmin tracking on this.. pretty good! Then back to the Al Buehler trail where there were many runners, dog walkers etc. Going down a hill I noticed something on the trail and looked down as my foot landed 3 inches in front of a copperhead snake. I could see him recoiling his head back to strike. Whew, that was close! Overall 14.5 miles with most around 9-9:30 pace (2:27:34 total including the stadium aisles)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Perch- love the visual of your run, I sometimes run the stadium at the College at Brockport, but it pales in comparison. Holly- Nice that you could avoid pain and are being careful, well up until you went 11. Isn't it fun being a wiring detective? For me 7.2 total with 2 miles of stair intervals in Highland Park. 94 stairs up to the reservoir. Was DW's idea...I will get her back for this. Wasn't she the one who told me the power was off? Hmmmmm
                                Perch that is awesome..great training. Thank you for sharing. 45 minutes ez. Felt completely whacked out there. So humid and hot and for some reason I am feeling tired the last 3 or 4 days..Groggy...so not sure how I will race on Canada Day Tuesday. Off to my friends Topdown today for hot tub, pool and steak dinner. I am bringing over a bottle of "Angus the Bull" cabernet from Australia. Which is rated extremely highly...and is not expensive....so hoping it's a gem. Winejunkie where are you when we need you? Enjoy the day. Off tomorrow and Tuesday to celebrate Canada Day...yeah............. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently