Masters Running

Monday Master Miles and What Not ... (Read 430 times)

Good morning all.  Hope your long Holiday weekend (for those of us in the U.S. anyway) was fun and relaxing.

This morning I ran 7.8 miles with fartlek work - 15 x 1 minute at 5K pace with 1 minute jog recovery.

My recent 5K was run at a pace of 7:20 min/mile.  The repeats this morning were run at:

7:28

7:28

7:33

7:08

7:26

7:20

7:23

7:17

7:21

7:16

7:19

7:21

7:17

About 7:22 on average.  Fine.  Then during the cool down, I ran an additonal 4 x 30 second striders at 3K pace (whatever that might be) with 30 seconds jog recovery.

These short repeats are usually used to work on running form and economy.  This one got a bit tough near the end but this one did not beat me up.  77° and 86%.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good morning Bill and all to follow. Nice workout this morning. 7.2 miniute miles are something I can only dream about. Plus you're running in h&h which always makes it more challenging.

Absolutely IRC here this morning. 55° at 4:30 with not much wind and low humidity. 5 miles at a 9:41 pace, then came home and jumped rope to "Jump" by Van Halen and "Living in the USA" by Steve Miller, a great 4th of July song. Finished with some stability ball work and crunchies.

Back to the workday grind, but at least it's a short week. Have a good one, everybody.

Great workout Bill and thanks for the wide awake start to the week.

Hi Jlynne---nice running and jumping.

Nice running and racing runningsmarter! (your projected marathon time seems a tad conservative?----just sayin’!)

Ribs---isn’t the one year since surgery mark coming up soon? Not that you wish to be reminded of all that, but a celebration of an amazing year seems right, yes?

5.5 mile easy run today—no watch, coaching notes or iPOD and just enjoyed the morning with its cool temps and bright sun. I have a race on Sunday and then no serious racing until August 16 as I enter the more intense part of marathon training---taking recovery runs slow and focusing on fast paces on workout days. I am excited!

I’ll be off for the rest of the week----annual get togetherfor me and two of my best childhood buddies. We have been doing this for 25 years and this year we needed to find July dates since T will be accompanying her son to college in August for the big send-off. Egads.  We’ll be meeting up near Albany, NY. Last year we met up in Dallas and I had the chance to meet Ribs and the Saint—Excellent!  Running will be involved as we’ll finish up the week by running the Utica Boilermaker 15k---us three and 12,000 other happy runners----finishline party at the F.X. Matt brewery. J

Have a great week all!

(for Twocat and Evanflein---this  future entry from Coach is easier to remember : 10miles at CP—chillaxin’pace--- since you have 20 tomorrow. Afterwards make a big trash barrel full of ice and water and submerge your lower body for as long as you can stand it. Get out, put your legs up on the wall then drink a beer and eat some chips)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice run Byll in such hot and muggy conditions!

Just finishing up reading "Once a Runner", sure gonna stop me from complaining..

Wonderful 6.6 miles progression run on fresh legs. 3 x 2.2 mile hilly loop in 58:03 (8:48 pace). Loop paces: 9:51, 8:25, 8:06 (first loop with Tory and Sadie). Nice embracing 70F on wet roads just after the rain.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Just finishing up reading "Once a Runner", sure gonna stop me from complaining..

Perch - I just bought that book over the weekend and I'm anxious to start reading it. What did you think?

"older but not dead yet"

6,5 miles - Nikeplus memories are flooding my mind - Curtis Mayfield singing "do do wop, do do wop is strong in here", Dylan is expounding on how "everybody has to serve somebody", Tony Bennett crooning "The Second Time Around" and Alberto Salazar telling me I have one kilometer to go to reach my goal of 10K.

The Nikeplus application on my new iPhone 3GS is proving to be a godsend. It was Nikeplus that got me back to serious running in 2006 and by July '07 I was invited to fly out to Nike HQ in Beaverton HQ for their 1st Nikeplus Super-Users Summit. Now with its integrated setup on my iPhone I need only put the sensor in my shoe and away I go. If I don't want to listen to music I can listen to podcasts or audio books.

For about a little over a year I was the global leader in miles run in my age group (55-59) on their website and a major player in their Challenges forum. But that's history. We all have to move on. And I'm moving now with new geeky technology. You gotta love it!

Here's a pic of the group at Nike. I'm standing next to Alberto in the back row and Kara Goucher is kneeling in the front with her husband Adam standing all the way on the right.

Alex (ran a 47 min. age/wt. adjusted 10K)

Seeking the interface between the cerebral and the visceral.
              Slo

Bill......Awesome workout ! Hellacious actually.  Well Done. 

After a solid 16.3 Miles yesterday at an 8:17 pace I was feeling pretty good. Knocked out a few items on my to do list and felt I was up for a bike ride.  A nice easy 30 was the plan. Stick to the rollers, no hills.....a recovery ride !

It all started out to plan. Maintained a nice even spin. Coasted the downhills.......at mile 15, just outside of my planned turn-around town where I planned on taking a little break, a noticed a sign for a small town by the name of Fenton. I've heard much talk lately about this great little Bar and Grill which had just opened in this town. I thought I'd take a detour and check it out.

10 miles later I still had not come into this town.......this was about the point I was beginning to feel the effects of a hard week of training. My 17 mph effortless spin was turning into a 14mph all out effort. I keep GU stashed in on my bike.....thank goodness I had. The next few miles felt like another Ten.....eventually the GU kicked in, or at least the placebo effect and things picked back up.....a little.

39.4 miles total......I REALLY slept good last night !

So today I went to the pool. The legs felt a little like lead weights at first but they came around.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Breger - very nice repeats

CNYrunner – have a great time!

Alex - nice photo

9 easy-paced miles for me today (ave 10:18) in a very pleasant 62 degrees.

Finally got my new cellphone turned on this weekend.  For those who didn’t know, I lost my cellphone in Seattle at the Expo, only hours after arriving.  Being so far from home, and not a frequent traveler, this was somewhat traumatic for me (visions of my DD clinging to me, sobbing, before I headed to the airport, with me telling her, "you can call me as much as you want on my cellphone"), but thankfully the others in the house let me use their phones for my frequent calls home. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

"Bill......Awesome workout ! Hellacious actually.  Well Done."

SLO, I'm hard of hearing.  Could you say that again please?  Loudly? Big grin

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

"Bill......Awesome workout ! Hellacious actually.  Well Done."

SLO, I'm hard of hearing.  Could you say that again please?  Loudly? 

Bill

Makes it kinda tough to "Play by Ear" then  Huh ?

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Got back late last night from a week at our cabin in the Maine mountains.  We had a few hours of sun yesterday, and another few hours TOTAL the rest of the week.  Not exactly beach weather, but at least all the rain kept the bugs away!  Now that my middle son (14) is training for XC in the fall, I have TWO kids who need to run all the time!  It's cool.  It's very challenging running up there.  You have to walk down a steep, half-mile "road" that was more like a running creek bed that our 4WD Tahoe had a hard time negotiating!  Then you run downhill on a logging road, turn around to return on the uphill, and then walk back UP the long road.  Whew!  I did that only one time, but the boys did it several times. 

Another day we drove 5 miles to the nearest paved road to run.  Two days after that, we tried a new trail to a fancy "hut" next to Flagstaff Lake some folks from away have built - you can pay to sleep overnight there and even order lunch.  I don't know how they're going to get much traffic with a 2-mile trail that's so poor.  We barely made it, the mosquitos and mud were so bad.  Fortunately, the hut staff told us about a construction road we could take back to our car, so I ran that.

This morning, it was wonderful to run on a regular street in the sunshine!  Whoo hoo!  Makes me appreciate civiliazation, although a week away from it all was nice. 

Good running to everyone!

Mariposai

Welcome back to civilization Teresa.

Holly, I am glad to hear that you are connected to cell phone once again. I am sorry that you lost yours in Seattle.

Great job there Bregarcito. It seems like your coach has a plan for you.

4 easy miles for LIFE today. The rain felt so good coming down my face.

No pictures from Athens??? what is up with that?

Great picture and race Erika. Wow girl you look like a pro!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

dg.

Yowza Bill!!!  

welcome back Teresa.

welcome back, Nancy.

Smile

Today is a rest day that I am using as such, or close enough I hope.  did a bit of pt this morning & some lawn extension digging.   Summer rest days I like!  I watered plants and picked berries (& ate some for you, Nancy).  We have some volunteer black raspberries that grow mainly between a tilty retaining wall & a fence, but they grow on both sides of the fence.  Like a good neighbor I told them all about it, but they're in back of bushes & they don't go there, last year I watched them whither.. so I climb on the retaining wall & impale myself on the fence reaching over to get these.... and hope nobody driving by is paying much attention.  Wink

of course if I hadn't rested, I like to think I would have done a workout somewhat like Byll's.  

King of PhotoShop

Well done Bill.  3K pace would be VO2 max pace.  Look at how you get that ever shrinking one minute of recovery during all that work.  I bet your average HR stayed right up there for the entire workout too.  This program will do wonders for you.

Yes CNY, the anniversary is coming up.  I will make a big deal of it on the day.  Didn't I see on FB that someone else is off to Utica?  Or was that you?  Losing my memory.  Edited to add that I did check and it is indeed Katie Artichoke who is headed to Utica.

7 easy today in slightly cooler temps, following yesterday's rainy 10-miler.  Then I did a full flex and core workout at the Y.  Now to do the work that I actually get paid for.   Spareribs

Mariposai

dg, you are my kind of gal climbing over the fence and all.  Thank for eating the extra berries for me

Ribs, 7 miles after a 10 miler...what kind of a recovery run is that?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard