Masters Running

Grandmothers of Endurance (Read 426 times)

I want to be these ladies when I'm their age.  Gives me hope that I may actually be able to one day fulfill my dreams.

Grandmothers of Endurance

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Oh how awesome is that? I love this: "since I've gotten to be 75, 76... I'm starting to notice my age" or words to that effect. I definitely want to be like these ladies when I grow up!
      coastwalker

I noticed three things that help these women do so well:

1) started running in their 40s, 50s;

2) low weekly mileage (but regular routines);

3) "She's my bud."

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Definitely what I want to be when I grow up!

Any idea what they define as low mileage???

marj

I don't really want to grow up, but I definitely want to be like this and plan on it!

My beloved granny of endurance (99.6 now) is struggling right now and in the hospital, so this made me tear up quite a bit too.

Thanks fatozzig!

wildchild

Carolyn

Excellent, Leslie!  Thanks for posting the link. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Thanks Leslie!  I sent this to my mom Smile
                Progress Trumps Pefection

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

That was great - thanks Leslie!!    Gives me hope!!  Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Karin - {{{Hugs}}} to Super Granny.

Marj - I have no idea what constitutes "low mileage" for them.

Jay - I have a buddy I run trails with on Saturdays and it makes all the difference in gutting the LRs, especially when we reach 20m and above.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

My beloved granny of endurance (99.6 now) is struggling right now and in the hospital, so this made me tear up quite a bit too.

Oh Karin!  I'm so sorry to hear that your Granny is having a tough time.  {{{hugs to Granny and you and your family}}}

Yes, this video is very inspirational to me, too.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I don't really want to grow up, but I definitely want to be like this and plan on it!

Thanks fatozzig!

Yes, thanks so much, I loved it when one turned to the other and very quietly but firmly said "I disagree, I think you are competitive."  True friends.

Karin, my best to Super Granny.  I love the nurses at the Noho hospital--went through some serious stuff with a dear relative once, saw one of the nurses a year later at  First Night and just started crying.  They were so tremendous to us, I can't even begin to describe it.  Hope that's still the case.

I grew up early and decided it wasn't all it was cracked up to be and have been happily regressing ever since.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles

I loved it when one turned to the other and very quietly but firmly said "I disagree, I think you are competitive."  True friends.

At SOB last weekend, I had to tell my friend to stop being a $itch ('cause she was).

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Wow.......good to see how others "our age" do it.

Sorry to hear about Super Granny Karin.......we will pray for her.

Joey

Vista

I'm so sorry to hear this, Karin. I know how close you are to your grandmother. Hopes and prayers that she gets better soon.

These ladies are an inspiration! I thought 57 was getting on in years for running, but I guess I'd better quit whining and try to keep up with these two. Thanks for sharing this, Leslie.

lamerunner

What a wonderful story. I watched that video twice.  They are my heros. i don't know that my feet will hold out that long, but I will sure try.   

I do think they are helped by starting running later in life. I have friends who started distance races pretty recenty and fresh legs are a huge help.

Karin, sorry to hear about super granny. I hope all goes well. 99.6 is pretty amazing!