Masters Running

Thu Oct 16 Runs and Workouts (Read 725 times)

Should I be letting others start? Gotta get up pretty early in the morning to run before me, I guess. Another nice morning to run, unseasonably warm -- I hear that tights may be in order for the weekend though. It's been fun while it lasted but I guess summer is really over. I hope the colder weather will kill the mosquitoes though -- it's been an especially bad year for them. 350 miles on the shoes for me -- I agree with twocat, i.e., that I'd rather pay the money then risk the injury. 7.2 miles, 59:59, 8:21/mi, AHR 152 Have a great run today!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Nice run, Lou. I went 12 miles on the treadmill this morning, at 8 minute per mile pace, while watching The 300. I shouldn't have had such a big breakfast before watching that slow mo splatter fest.

The Jogger

Morning Lou & PBJ Nice runs you two. Went out for a 9 mile hilly trail run. Was a coolish morning which suited this run, it felt good. Anyway: 9m 01:29:10 @ 09:54 pace AHR 155 Good runs All Roy

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning, Nice run Lou...yeah, Summer is about over and it's going to be real chilly here in the next couple of days...don't know about tights yet though. PBJ, 12 miles on the treadmill....your a nut. Did you also have needles under your finger nails too Big grin...nice 12 miler for you!...what's watching the 300??? Nice 9 miler Roy...always nice to read about your runs Smile 10 miles last night with 6 at MP - 1:19:35 7:58 overall pace - 6 MP miles at 7:48 pace. 12 miles was the plan for my run, but had to cut it short due to bad thunderstorms at mile 8...had lightening nipping at my butt so it seemed , and tornado sirens going offShocked Last night during my 2 mile warm up, my legs to felt totally trashed and heavy and didn't think I would make it on my tempo miles, but after a couple of miles they came around and felt good. I still have a problem with running at my "planned" MP at 7:55. I always start off running by feel for a mile or so and end up at 7:30 pace. Then I say to myself "slow down dude" Then I settle into my next comfortable pace at 7:45 and that pace feels natural and good...I never feel right at 7:55, so I think I will compromise and make 7:50 my goal MP. But we will see I guess race day, and what coach was to say about this. I swear with this being my first Marathon I feel totally lost, but know I have it in me to run well...just feel uncertain about some things. And thank goodness for my Garmin, to keep my goal pace in check duing my race. The talk about bending and not breaking during this training phase...I am closer to the breaking point than bending right now, but just have my 20 plus miler left Sat with 10 at MP till taper time....whew, I AM TIRED. Have a great day everyone Smile Jimmy Legs Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

yea.. woah PBJ, 12 on the TM... 8.4 miles in 1:18:10 (9:18 pace, AHR 152).

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

My running schedule is going to have to change. I can't seem to get up Thursday mornings after choir practice on Wednesday evening. So the Tempo day always gets messed up - usually by doing them Fridays. So true to form, slept in today. Tim, the Marathon requires an MP that feels easy. You know your abilities better than I so I cannot prescribe an MP for you. Just make sure it feels easy early on, because it likely won't feel easy eventually. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Really sluggish this morning, probably because I had to come in to my old workplace and I've gotten out of the habit of running at 6:30AM. Plus I did 25 miles on the bike yesterday. Managed to put in 2.2 miles in the time I had available. I hope the rest of you have better luck getting a good run in today!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I hope the rest of you have better luck getting a good run in today!
                  I wish! Nothing .... I did nothing .... other than try on my outfit for Sunday that is. Roll eyes 12 miles on the treadmill is just nuts .... I could hardly get through 3 the other morning!! TimBo - You are doing GREAT! Taper time will be here before you know it and then you'll wish you were out running those long miles. Makes no sense I tell ya! Wink

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Nothing .... I did nothing .... other than try on my outfit for Sunday that is. Roll eyes
                    Mary - I know this is early but I wanted to say while I was thinking about it - best of luck this Sunday at Detroit! I forget, is this your first?

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Thanks Lou - yes this is my First!! Butterflies are fluttering in my tummy .....

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Last night during my 2 mile warm up, my legs to felt totally trashed and heavy and didn't think I would make it on my tempo miles, but after a couple of miles they came around and felt good. I still have a problem with running at my "planned" MP at 7:55. I always start off running by feel for a mile or so and end up at 7:30 pace. Then I say to myself "slow down dude" Then I settle into my next comfortable pace at 7:45 and that pace feels natural and good...I never feel right at 7:55, so I think I will compromise and make 7:50 my goal MP. But we will see I guess race day, and what coach was to say about this. I swear with this being my first Marathon I feel totally lost, but know I have it in me to run well...just feel uncertain about some things. And thank goodness for my Garmin, to keep my goal pace in check duing my race.
                        Woops- forgot to write my post before I hit enter! DUH Confused Tim as Bill says no one knows your abilities better than you, and your early marathon pace absolutely should feel easy because it will get increasingly more difficult especially after mile 20! Be very careful about adjusting your marathon pace downward, especially with only a few weeks to go before your first marathon. You are going to be so pumped when you toe the line for that first marathon that it will be quite difficult to not go out too fast...something you must do...as soon as possible you should get your pace down to that marathon pace you have been training for. If you have something left after mile 20 then give it a little push, hopefully you'll at least have enough to maintain your true marathon pace...the one that you have been training at. You are going through the same pre-race jitters that we all go through especially before your first marathon. Don't worry too much, you've put in the work now let it work for you. Oh and a caution about the Garmin...the longer the distance the more of a differential you'll find between the Garmin distance and the official distance so if you are depending on the Garmin you might want to set it to lap manually, that will keep your pace adjusted correctly...just something I've learned from running a few marathons, (my last one actually measured about .2 long which isn't really bad when you think of the distance and not being able to run the tangents etc.).

Renee the dog

Mary, I'm so excited for you!!! I haven't even contemplated if/when I'll ever try for marathon distance. Out for 4 3/4 mi mostly on the boards. Ankle hurts - blah blah blah. I don't think I'm doing any serious damage to it by running. Guess I'll find out Sunday if it'll last 13.1. Good runs, tapers and race planning to all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #957

You know, all this talk about Gordon’s butt on yesterday’s thread is worthless without pictures. Wink PBJ – yes, but all those air-brushed abs were really something, weren’t they? Big grin 7.45 completely sproinkless, trudging, forced miles for me today in blustery darkness with rain spitting sporadically. A run fueled entirely by stubborn ornery-ness. Fatigue left over from Tuesday’s intervals? Maybe. Low energy due to an early dinner yesterday and recent caloric cutbacks as I attempt to drop some weight? Maybe, but the cutbacks have been relatively minor. At least I know it wasn’t the shoes, since this pair has only 167 miles on them. I’m just feeling low-energy today – even my arms feel strangely weak. Who knows? An off day, I guess. Good thing tomorrow is a rest day. Happy Thursday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

DickyG

A 20-year-old American man was arrested late last week at a checkpoint near the Afghan border in a tribal region where Pakistani troops are fighting Taliban and al-Qaida militants, police said. Officers were investigating what the man was doing in the border area, which is believed to be a possible hiding place for Osama bin Laden and other foreign extremists. The suspect, Billy Jack Harlass, of Ocala, Florida, claimed he was merely looking for a lost golf ball. Teresa:
                              Then we went to the Desert of Maine, a 30-acre desert just a few miles from the ocean. It's so funny to see big sand dunes with autumn colors and pine trees right next to them!
                              Now THAT sounds cool...I've got to google it was hopefully look at some pix. Twocat: I've run around Evanston tons of times...through the neighborhoods, around Northwestern & even on the Lake Michigan sand....very cool place...except in the winter. PBJ: Personally, I thought the grainy photography in The 300 was good but overall the movie sucked big time. Tim: I wish I had some real comments or advice but I don't. I just sit back and admire the way you've gutted out your plan. When I ran my first marathon in 1964, there was no plan, no speedwork, no long runs, no gels or fig newmans. My friend & I did our regular 25 miles a week and then plodded through the marathon....and we didn't do so hot...our goal was 3 hours...our actual time was something like 3:35...maybe we should have had a plan. I usually don't run on Thursday but since the week-end will be full of NASCAR-related activities...including a houseful of guests...I decided to go out today and skip Saturday. Still a little wiped from yesterday but got in 4 miles in a relatively slow 37:13 (9:19)...at least I ran the entire distance. The newspaper stated that there are still tix available for Sunday..a little disappointing since we usually have a sell-out. DickyG
                                You are going through the same pre-race jitters that we all go through especially before your first marathon.
                                I don't go through pre-race jitters, and I didn't have any jitters before my first marathon. Maybe it's because I didn't train much for it, and spent three days in Bulgaria drinking just before the race, then rode a bus back to my Army base late at night, and got up the next day in time for the start. That's me at left in my marathon, April 2007. Dark Horse
                                I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.