Masters Running

Sunday 4-29-18 The Daily (Read 39 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Good Morning Everybody!

I couldn’t sleep at all, last night, so I came down early  to the race to pick up my stuff and, now, I have to wait...so, I figured I’d start us off.  Hopefully, somebody else will do recap of yesterday’s workouts.

This will be very interesting.  I had an excellent training cycle but something just feels off.  I’m nervous and cannot relax.  You would think this was my first marathon.  I’m unsure of how to dress.  It feels cold, even though it’s in the upper 40’s and it’s windy.  I got about 3 hours of off and on sleep, last night.  Maybe more...I never was sure of when I was dreaming or when I was awake.  I guess I just have to trust the program and stop my whining and get after it.

Okay—that’s it—thanks for listening to my prerace jitter comments.  See ya!

coastwalker

Monrin' everyone. Hi Mike.

Sometimes you're nervous/'off' just before a race, but then settle down when the gun goes off, and you have a great race. I hope that is your day today, Mike.

Saturday's workouts:

Tomwhite (PoolRun with letters)

Mike (3 morning miles)

RunnerKSA (3 foggy suburban Philly miles)

Henrun (speedier 2.2 morning miles)

Tramps (5 foggy morning miles)

Spacityrunner (3.2 sunny mid-morning neighborhood miles + 40 min. of kayaking)

Quickadder (10+ morning miles with the Saturday group, at 9:36 pace)

BioGuy (warm, shade-free marathon in 4:15:49)

Falconfixer (Tour de Pickle 57-mile ride)

Tammy (7 local trail miles with Barb)

Evanflein (7.2 miles - longest since Jan.)

Glad the leg is improving, KSA. Maybe stay on a track for a while? Nice lacrosse ball find.

Good for you for getting some speed, Henrun.

Good racing under tough conditions, Bioguy. Getting slapped in the face with the season's first heat is always tough, and especially so in a significant race.

Nothing wrong with racing to finish and enjoy the run and surroundings, S.Bill.

Sounds like a long, tough, and good ride, Falconfixer. Keep up the good knee healing.

Good day, and good run, Evanflein.

Yesterday was a long day, including 5 hours of drive time. Yesterday, DNiece placed 6/21 in her step-dance competition (she just moved up to a new level), and she has another one this morning. So we'll be heading out for that in a few minutes. Who knows if I'll find time for a workout today?

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

bioguy

Go Mike! I'd gladly have traded yesterday's warm sun for today's overcast cool conditions of 40's and 50's.

I feel surprisingly good today; I even got on the riding mower for an hour yesterday afternoon. Plan is to take 10 days off from running and then start up again along with some yoga and weights; been neglecting that aspect.

Tailwinds

Good luck Mike! Run strong!

Thanks for the recap Jay. Your weekends are always so full of cool stuff. Enjoy your day.

Sounds like a great plan bioguy.

Just a quick 2 miles this morning. Headed to church and then spend the rest of the day working in the yard.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone.

dg.

a little late for this, but go Mike!

pretend you're running away from an airplane?    ;  )

Thanks, Jay.  I actually ran 5 miles yesterday (not 3).  I WANT THOSE MILES!

5 more today in PA but my leg didn’t do as well- never loosened up.  Windy and cool.  Ready to be home.  Going into downtown Philly to see my son today before we head to the airport and se his fancy new downtown apartment.

Congrats on the finish, bio and good ride Falcon.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike - I hope you have a great race!

Bioguy - Nice job at your too-warm marathon.

I have been stomach-sick the last couple of days and dealing with some issues on the home front.  Just didn't fee well enough to get out at all.  This morning I did get out, but only had energy for 2.5 miles.  Hopefully tomorrow this will be gone.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Quickadder, you remind me of myself: I started serious running at 52 and set PRs up through my mid-60s, but only did 3 marathons. Maybe later I'll give you some times to shoot for that you should be able to make.

So Erika, where are you off to now?

The ducks nesting outside the corner of our garage seem to finally be used to us because they don't fly away squawking when we go in and out any longer. We counted 10 eggs in the nest, but unfortunately we'll be away starting next weekend and will probably miss the hatching and mama leading them across the street to the pond. Wonder how many will actually hatch and how many make it to duck adulthood?

The Paint Creek Trail -- a favorite summer running venue -- is finally thawed out and dried out so that's where I ran this morning. 5 miles at 10:50 but generally pain free for once. It was about 40 and sunny when I started, and after 30 years of running I finally have figured out that it's good to feel under-dressed when you start out on a day like this because it means that you'll feel comfortable for the majority of the run. And I did.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

spacityrunner

Early morning run on Hot Springs mountain...4.6 miles of slow but fun.  Oh those spider webs....

Trails Rock!

Quickadder

Quickadder, you remind me of myself: I started serious running at 52 and set PRs up through my mid-60s, but only did 3 marathons. Maybe later I'll give you some times to shoot for that you should be able to make.

Rochrunner, thanks and I look forward to hearing what you think my target times should be.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Tramps

This will be very interesting.  I had an excellent training cycle but something just feels off.  I’m nervous and cannot relax.  You would think this was my first marathon.  I’m unsure of how to dress.  

This is pretty much how he was before Richmond, so I'm expecting good things today. 

Doug--I'm surprised ducks nest so close to active people.

About 33 miles on the bike this morning, though my Garmin denies it ever happened.  Can't get it to upload today.

So I'm going very slowly, reaching the crest of a long hill on an old long-run route, and there's a woman I don't know out walking her dog who says to me, "You don't run here anymore, do you?"    "Nope." 

Go Caps!

Be safe. Be kind.

pfriese

OKC Memorial Half Marathon this morning in 1:50:27. Felt good not to race in monsoon conditions. Light breeze, sunny & 58 at the start. About 72 at the finish.

mrrun

congrats MikeE - 3 OA  - looking forward to race report!

woot! woot!

mta: congrats Paul - and yeah for no rain!

Congrats Paul and Mike.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

Congratulations to the racers.

Other than a walk today, it was mostly a rest day. I just stopped by to tell Tramps that there is reason for hope. The Buffalo Sabres consistently have come in last place, year after year, and never could win the draft lottery, but this year they did. The old ways are being broken down. I predict Washington wins the series in 5 games.