Masters Running

Sunday, 6.26.16 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Is there a name for it when every other number in a date is the same number?

Nice Pool Run, TW. Congrats to Pickles on the good news. I'm sure the LBSPs will appreciate your good work.

Evanflein, I suppose starting with the 2nd step every time wouldn't help would it? Ice won't do much for you if there's no swelling. Sorry - I'm as mystified as you are.

Enjoy Maine, Stumpy. I'm glad that hill has stopped growing.

Tselbes, one thing we all have in common is that we all have PWs at various distances. Congrats on your new one! As Mariopsai put it so well: Time is irrelevant - at least you were out there.

Good 16 in the heat, Aamos. I would have wilted long before I got that far.

Congrats on another marathon, Tet - 4,000 ft. of ups and downs and all!

Nice run with EP, Mariposai, and good work on the cakes.

Congrats on the yard work and 10K steps, Holly.

Friday night, one of our neighbors insisted that I go to his house so he could set up one of his bikes for me (yeah, he's that serious about it) so we could go for a ride Saturday morning. I met him at his house at 4:45 yesterday morn, and we rode up the coast and back for a total of about 15 miles. That was the first time I had been on a bike in about 4 years or so, and he only took it a little bit easy on me. By the time we were done, my legs were shot, and my butt was incredibly sore from that tiny unpadded seat. Hopefully I'll do a little better next time, and maybe I'll have some bike shorts with better padding by then.

Back to racewalking this morning (thank goodness!) for 10.7 miles, also up the coast and back. I didn't feel bad at all after the bike ride, but neither could I muster any appreciable speed when I wanted to. Still, a good workout on a beautiful morning, with a gorgeous sunrise to watch along the way. A niece and her girlfriend are arriving later today for their annual visit to Hampton Beach. We always have a great time with them, so we're looking forward to their visit. They'll be here till Thursday. Our next guests arrive on Saturday. Welcome to summer!

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hampton Beach always makes me think of high school, even though I'm 45 years out.

DH surpassed me in miles last week (bike vs. run), but his long ride last week was Sunday and then long again yesterday so he totaled 90.

Well, got to bed at a decent hour so had a decent 12 miler this am with 2 bridge RTs (in my pathetic attempt to prepare for a hilly Vermont marathon.)

Got a few mangoes on the way back.

My friend who takes care of the cats when we're away is having a little soirée this afternoon.  No critters, just humans.

So 2 million Brits want a do-over.  What were they thinking?

Cool marathoning tet!

good day,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

wildchild

Carolyn

Tselbs, nice PW 5k. At least you were out there running!

Tet, congrats on the 8+ hour marathon up and down 4,400 ft!

Sounds kind of like my day yesterday - I went on a group run in the Lost Creek Wilderness in Colorado, and yes, we got lost...  turned into a 24 mile day in 8 1/2 hours!  I don't know the total vertical (my Garmin won't upload because I use Linux) but the first hill was from 8,300 ft up to 11,700 ft in about 6 miles.  The trail kind of disappeared above treeline, and we wandered around for a while looking for it, but ended up going back and taking a different trail.

It was the furthest I've run since my stress fracture diagnosis in March, and I was tired, but felt pretty good.  I did go to bed at 8 pm yesterday, though!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

You'd think you lived right at the beach, Jay.  But at least you seem to get people you like to have come.

Still liberating Mangoes, huh?  Hope you know a good lawyer.  Guess there wasn't much worth staying up for last night (unlike the night before  Wink

A belated yeehah for Pickles' good numbers.

Only 2.1 miles for me this morning.  A little stiff from dock setting yesterday and a late start with still things to do today made it too easy to give into that's plenty for the day. 

And I had to come back to add a couple of  For both elevation AND distance for Carolyn.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Tselbs, nice PW 5k. At least you were out there running!

Tet, congrats on the 8+ hour marathon up and down 4,400 ft!

+1 to both

Carolyn - That seems a bit scary to me, getting lost in the wilderness like that.  I admit that it one of my fears when running trails in a new location - not being able to find my way out.  And the trails around here are generally in metroparks, so you couldn't really get THAT lost, not like where you run, where it could be dangerous.

Went for a walk outside, about three miles.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Carolyn - That seems a bit scary to me, getting lost in the wilderness like that.  I admit that it one of my fears when running trails in a new location - not being able to find my way out.  And the trails around here are generally in metroparks, so you couldn't really get THAT lost, not like where you run, where it could be dangerous.

I was with 4 other people, and we had a map.  We also had jackets, food, and water. We just couldn't find the trail.  But we were above treeline, and could see a long way, so we weren't really lost ~ the trail was lost!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Happy Sunday everyone. I'm sorry to see so many folks with lingering injuries, and +1 on running - no matter what the speed!

Getting lost would totally freak me out, but I know Carolyn and her group are used to trail running in those conditions and never start out without all the necessities, just in case.

How's the garden coming along Holly?

What's the waiting list like for a room at your B&B Jay?

Hi Aamos! Don't know HOW you run in that heat and humidity. You never stop amazing me.

Speaking of heat, it's been bloody warm here, even by Wisconsin standards. Since the doc told me to limit running until my stitches are out, I've just been going out for 3 or 4 and try to do it first thing in the morning before it gets too hot. Maybe that's why I'm not a good H&H runner. This morning at 3:00 AM, the county tornado sirens went off. Scared the bejeebus out of me, and right away I was worried about all of my kids and grandkids. No touchdowns here, but a lot of high wind, lightning and heavy rain. Unfortunately it's not much cooler today...

Hey! It's shark week on the Discovery channel!  Have a great rest of the weekend everyone.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Congratualtions on another marathon finish tet!

And congratulations to Pickles!  A bigger accomplishment and best news that any of our running stuff can match.

My oldest daughter let Debbie and me use her condo she owns on a resort 2 1/2 hours north of us for our anniversary.  She surprised us with scheduling a 1 hour relaxing massage on Saturday.  Except for being a little sick...we had a fantastic time.  Every Saturday night during the summers, they have an Elvis impersonator perform...he really is the best I have ever seen.  I had so much fun just watching Debbie enjoying herself.  After a few drinks, everybody is her friend, and she had a whole bunch of them on Sturday night...yes, drinks as well as friends.

Infortunately, we are back home and facing reality...which is not as much fun.

i have been reading all the post from the relay...man, it would be fun to do one of those again.

I managed a very slow 6.6 miles on Friday before we left town and slogged my way through a very muggy 8 on Saturday just to get me to 40 for the week.  Now, I have to spend some time working on the deck before we're due at a granddaughter's birthday party.

Okay--gotta go!  See ya!

...high 90s this afternoon,,,,,,,,,,but it's a Wet Heat,,,,,

====================

45-min HH with trekking poles

at Y CC Course, with Hills

after missing

Spring-Summer-and Most of Fall Last Year

I'll never Complain about  Weather again...........

..........(unless

it's Cold

'cause I really Hate Cold)

................................good running to ya.............

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Since the doc told me to limit running until my stitches are out,

Wait a minute - stitches?  I missed this - what have you had stitched?

The garden is more bountiful than I can keep up with, so I am giving away lettuce and kale like crazy.  The spinach seeds didn't take as well as I had hoped, and I may pull up the kale to plant more spinach instead, which I prefer.  My tiny red bell pepper plant has two large peppers, so big that the whole plant bent over to rest the on the ground.  It looks like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree.  (I put a dish under the peppers so they won't have to sit on the ground.)  I just ate my first cherry tomatoes this week, and DH did a fry-up today with sausage and onions and I brought him jalapenos from the garden to add to it.  I wonder sometimes if it wouldn't be easier just to go to the store for my veggies, but there is something very satisfying about growing it yourself, chemical-free.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

And congratulations to Pickles!  A bigger accomplishment and best news that any of our running stuff can match.

What, what?  I missed this....

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!  zoomin by to say hi one last time...about to pop in a movie, hopefully one with some laughs.

Simon is telling me he's a good boy and "Hello, bird!" and the cats are letting me know they're hungry, so I'd best get them some Fancy Feast so they don't consider having 'a good bird for supper......

none o that Sunday night feeling, chums......it's a summer night in June and we're alive, even if not running is very crabby-inducing......

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

evanflein

Holly, Jlynne had some more skin cancer surgeries so is recovering with a minimal running order, and Pickles had a great checkup with good blood counts so she's doing well.

My garden is way behind anyone else's here, but things are coming along well. Except the beans. They suck. I think it's the last time I try beans. It seems they just rot in the ground the last couple of years. I spent two hours weeding and thinning the beets yesterday, and while they look great, that did a number on my glutes and back. Yesterday's run was hard but today my glutes are sore to the point of being painful. Bleh. That and thunderstorms rolling through kind of made me abandon the 16 mile goal and stick with the original 14 miles. Gets me to 54.2 for the week, closing in on that 200 mile goal for June but it's not in hand yet!

Posting from my cell so this will be short. Ran the Fairfield Half Marathon today. As usual, hot. Well hot for a race, which relatively generally works to my advantage. Alas, between my 5 month layoff and weight gain  I ended up finishing about 3 minutes slower than last year when I was hurt.  I really have to get serious about my weight.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

Wait a minute - stitches?  I missed this - what have you had stitched?

The garden is more bountiful than I can keep up with, so I am giving away lettuce and kale like crazy.  The spinach seeds didn't take as well as I had hoped, and I may pull up the kale to plant more spinach instead, which I prefer.  My tiny red bell pepper plant has two large peppers, so big that the whole plant bent over to rest the on the ground.  It looks like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree.  (I put a dish under the peppers so they won't have to sit on the ground.)  I just ate my first cherry tomatoes this week, and DH did a fry-up today with sausage and onions and I brought him jalapenos from the garden to add to it.  I wonder sometimes if it wouldn't be easier just to go to the store for my veggies, but there is something very satisfying about growing it yourself, chemical-free.

Exactly and I missed the Pickles news too. I will look forward to reading Jay's recap to learn about Pickles.

Holly, wow, your garden is much more advanced than mine. I have kale to share, a lot of herbs, but my tomatoes are other veggies are far from being fruitful. I did give zucchini an chance again this year (I have never been able to produce zucchini in my garden. Must be the only one in the whole planet Sad.

Twocat, you ran a half marathon and that is what matters. Time and speed will come back to you! Of course you will be slow after no running and speed work for 5 months. Enjoy the gift of miles and stay healthy.

I enjoyed my 12 miles trail run today. My son Daniel and my other son Jamie drove me to the trail-head and they hike for 2 hours as I ran. It was fun!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard