Masters Running

7/13 Monday Master runs - workouts - and healing "vibes" (Read 392 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning everyone....have not been to bed yet working on a new work project. But in the dark cool morning, I ran 10 miles at 8:32 ave pace...the coolness sure makes a huge difference. This week will be 2 a days again leading up to another race this Sat...then looking forward to "normal" Marathon training again (I really do, but I am having fun) Hope everyone has a great Monday....and rememeber it's ALL about attitude Ya know....you choose! TimBo...and love'n it!!!

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Good morning Tim and all to follow. Wow, Tim - I read your race report. Sounds like you had the "total" experience! Great job - you are a tough competitor.

Leslie - congratulations on your great finish! And that was a great picture - you looked so happy.

No running for me this last weekend. I played in a two-day golf tournament. The good news: we finished eighth in the event.. The bad news: there was only eight women's teams! I give us credit though - we are high handicappers and played against some really good women on a tough course. Most important, we had fun and our self-esteem is still okay.

Up at 4:30 for a quick 5 miles before work. Great temps here this morning - 53°, no humidity or wind, and the legs had a little sproink in them after not running all weekend. 9:14 pace which is good for me.

DH and I celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary over the weekend. He got me a rose for every year we were married, and cooked me a great steak dinner. Overall, a pretty great 12 years together.

Have a good Monday everyone.

Renee the dog

Hi gang!  Rest day for me, so for once, I’m going to do nothing as far as cross-training, strength drills, etc. 

Perch, great story yesterday about Sadie!  I can only imagine, thankfully.

Fatozzig, THAT IS friggin’ awesome!!!! Congrats!

Jlynne, Happy Anniversary!

Good runs/workouts/rests to all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

This morning was speedwork day.

2.5 miles warm up at EZ pace

10 x 1:30 at 5K race effort, 1:30 jog recovery

4 x 30 secs. at 3K pace, 30 secs jog recovery

2 miles cool down

Targetted 7:20 pace.  The 1:30 fast parts came in at:

7:27

7:33

7:24

7:25

7:28

7:24

7:21

7:18

7:19

7:10  (7:23 avg pace.)

You know how everyone says you're supposed to finish an Interval workout feeling like you could do one more?  Well Tinman seems to put those extra 4 x 30 second (near) sprints at 3K to make sure you can.  I get myself all mentally prepared for 10 x 1:30 fast parts then have to run an extra 4 x 30 secs faster.  Sneaky.

(I know he puts those extra fast repeats to make sure you're fully into VO2 max range.  But the above is what was going through my mind as I finished off the last few 1:30 repeats knowing I had more to do after.)

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Bill....Another killer workout !

I took the morning off. No swim, No run. I really wasn't sure what to expect today after my 20 miler yesterday. When I got on my bike this morning I really expected heavy legs but I rode into work suprisingly strong.

Tonight I'm hoping to get in a short and easy recovery run followed by a swim at the outdoor pool. I purposely said hoping and not planning because you know how "plans" go !

Make it a great week everybody !

Marathon Maniac #957

Jlynne – Happy Anniversary!

Breger – intervals on a Monday?  Is that allowed?  (thumbing through the rulebook)     Great job, btw!

Slo_Hand – congrats on your 4-mile PR, and nice 20-miler too!

Dg – very nice run yesterday!  I know it’s hard not to give in to the temptation to run faster, but you are progressing wonderfully on the “easy does it” plan.  Remember that “slow and healthy” will get you over the finish line faster than “fast and injured.”

Leslie – YAY!!!!!  GREAT JOB!!!!

Woods Lady – very nice!

Erika – it’s not you, it’s the heat. 

3 recovery miles for me today (ave pace 10:52), followed by my favorite lower body workout, then lateral raises, front raises, triceps extensions, butterflies, glute raises, stability ball crunches and 4 chin-ups.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Morning, gang!

Good start, Tim!  Get some sleep!!

Way to go, Leslie!!!

8 hilly miles for me this morning - 61 degrees and no humidity - doesn't get any better this time of year.  Hard to believe it is July.

DH and I  spent the weekend biking on the Lake Champlain Islands in northern Vermont. What a hoot.  The weather was nice and cool with low humidity, but the wind was monsterous on Saturday.  We did 45 miles on Saturday and 26 yesterday - then had to jump in the car for a 5 hour trip home.  DH is already talking about doing a whole week biking trip.........

In our absence, the deer munched on everything that I hadn't sprayed liberally with Deer Out.  Including all of my hosta flowers (not the leaves,  just the flowers), daylily flowers, tomatoes and green peppers.  Tomato foliage is toxic - what were they thinking?? 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Slo

Morning, gang!

Good start, Tim!  Get some sleep!!

Way to go, Leslie!!!

8 hilly miles for me this morning - 61 degrees and no humidity - doesn't get any better this time of year.  Hard to believe it is July.

DH and I  spent the weekend biking on the Lake Champlain Islands in northern Vermont. What a hoot.  The weather was nice and cool with low humidity, but the wind was monsterous on Saturday.  We did 45 miles on Saturday and 26 yesterday - then had to jump in the car for a 5 hour trip home.  DH is already talking about doing a whole week biking trip.........

In our absence, the deer munched on everything that I hadn't sprayed liberally with Deer Out.  Including all of my hosta flowers (not the leaves,  just the flowers), daylily flowers, tomatoes and green peppers.  Tomato foliage is toxic - what were they thinking?? 

Good runs all!

Sue

Here's the best week long group ride in the Nation. 6 days. Upwards of 15,000 bikes on any given day.

RAGBRAI

Registers Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa.

http://ragbrai.com/

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Hello Everyone!

Tim - did you get a job while I was away?

Happy Anniversary JLynne!!

Scheduled rest day as I try to find my desk, get used to the time changes, and just having to get up in general.     Alaska was absolutley wonderful!   Not a single day of rain, total sunshine every day and VERY warm.   Actually the unexpected heat would be my only complaint.     I'll bore ya'll with more details and pictures when I have more time.    I think my boss would probably like me to get some things done around here. 

I did get out for a very slow 4 miles yesterday though.   So, I am now on the books for July.

Cheers!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Nice start Tim and great job last week and over the weekend with your triathlon!!!

Happy Anniversary JLynne and nice early running.

WAY TO GO LESLIE!!! Congratulations!

Bill---rocking workout there and speedy Monday.

6.6 miles for me this morning at 9:25ish pace. I feel great, but took it slow since I raced yesterday----the Utica Boilermaker 15k ---huge race with almost 11,000 runners and serious prize money. I was very happy with my 1:08:27 since that was right on goal pace and I am training through these summer races. I even had a bit of a kick. Results are in my log. Perfect day and even passed Bill Rodgers at mile 6. He is looking good and was running 7:30 pace. The crowds love him. The National Distance Running Hall of Fame is in Utica, NY and lots of the distance running glittertti show up for the festivities. The finish line party is at the FX Matt Brewery (Saranac Beer, Utica Club etc). As I said...a perfect day!

Great running and training SLO-HAND. My target marathon is a week after yours. Good Luck to us as this is what I call the jaws of marathon training.

Nice biking Sue. I may run a race in New London on August 1 (11.6 miles and free entry---47th annual Ocean Beach race) have you run that one?

Hi Holly (strong running friend) and all to follow.

My great aunt is coming into town for a reunion of the Super Gs (my grandmother is now almost 99 and her sister is 89). I need to get some work done so I can go visit with them this afternoon---more laughter on the way.

Welcome back Mary!

fatozzig great job on the 50K!  Congratulations!

SueT48 around my place what the rain and clouds did not kill the deer have attacked.  We sprayed but the rain washed it away.  For those of you not living in Seattle, apparently the north east part of the country moved temporarilly to the Pacific north west region in one of the most amazing land swaps ever arranged! 

Weekend race report . . . . my DW finished the 3.05 mile race in a 9:27 pace. For her that is quite good, especially given it was her first race of the year.  Why 3.05 and not 5K?  Well, the local track coach laid out the summer series courses a long time ago.  He apparently just wanted a sequence of ever longer courses and did not really care if the distances matched anything people normally run.  So all but the last of them (a 10 mile race) are at very odd distances.

Good day running all.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Hello

Nice repeats Byll. 1.5 min sounds like a good duration... enough to plateau the HR after the recoveries. Is that Garmin paces?  So that routine is "similar (ball park)" to 10x 400 with 200 recoveries followed by 3x200, but time is easier to do on the road.

3 Magical Healing Miles with Tory and Sadie in 31:38 (10:33 pace, AHR 135) still dripping sweat from 73F with 71F dewpoint..meh.  I'm nursing a mild runner's knee (left knee) from too fast downhill running recently. Slow and flat this week with quad strengthening.

Yesterday SR brought up rest days.  In the TDF coverage VS interviewed Levi Leipheimer from team Astana about today's rest day and if it would mess him up. He said everyone welcomes rest days. They asked what he'll do. He said he'll ride easy for an hour or two to get the blood flowing. He said those that have problems are the ones that do nothing on the rest day ..... So there you have it!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

wildchild

Carolyn

Jlynne, Happy Anniversary! And congrats on that 8th place golf finish - like Tim said, it's all about attitude!

Mary, welcome back from Alaska. Hot, sunny, no rain - doesn't sound like Alaska at all!

Slo Hand, congrats on your fast 4 mile race.

Leslie, AWESOME 50K! 

Karin, nice fast 15K race.  Have fun with the Super Gs!

Yesterday when I got home from taking DD to music camp I did 8 hilly miles around the neighborhood, the first four with Tazzie and Ladybug.  I don't usually wear my Garmin when I run with the dogs, since there are so many stops and starts, and I decided not to wear it for the second four miles either - just ran for the joy of it. It was a pretty evening and I live in a beautiful place.  Life is good!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

I've been telling you guys it's been hot up here!! And Mary wasn't in the really warm area (here in the interior) but the southeast (Juneau, etc) has been having record heat lately. And no rain in sight for us, which means the forest fires will just get worse.

Nice workout, Byll. I'm very impressed with your running these days.

Hey Tim, like Mary said... did you get work??

I'll run a few easy miles at lunch, soccer game for DS2 at 6.

Marathon Maniac #957

My great aunt is coming into town for a reunion of the Super Gs (my grandmother is now almost 99 and her sister is 89). I need to get some work done so I can go visit with them this afternoon---more laughter on the way.

This is just so kewl....

Mary - can't wait to see the pics!  (when you get time, of course)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."